As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer randomly stops responding, except for...

Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
For some reason my computer randomly stops responding to anything other than the Windows key, Ctrl-Alt-Del and mouse movements. For instance, I'll be able to get a run dialogue open with Windows+R, but I won't be able to run anything from it because I can't type. I'll get Task Manager up, but its a frozen window unless I have the Start menu open through the Windows key. The mouse moves around the screen fine, but nothing responds when you hover over, for instance, a button or scroll bar. As shut-down through CAD freezes mid-way, I have to turn the computer off with the power button which I really dislike doing.

I've scanned my computer with fully-updated AVG, Windows Defender and HijackThis, and it comes up clean.

This is probably the strangest thing I've ever had any computer do to me, largely because it seems without a cause. Any suggestions?

sig.jpg
Nexus Zero on

• Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Can you boot into safe mode? If so, boot in and check your system and application event logs to see if anything is tossing a process hang. It sounds to me like possibly explorer.exe is faulting.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg