As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XP pretending windows don't exist

RMH03RMH03 Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello, my friend has a problem with windows XP that has both of us stumped

XP pro(SP2 all updates), Logitech G7 mouse, Sempron 1.10Ghz 1Gb generic bum-ram 80gb maxtor ide radeon 9250

His PC has been sitting under a desk unused for roughly 3 months, he booted it today and had the following problems:

Can't move desktop icons-when this is attempted, the offending icon will just ping back into place as if auto arrange was on(it's not)

He loses the ability to click inside windows-all windows are displayed properly but clicks inside said windows do nothing, he can navigate just fine using keyboard shotcuts but not using the mouse. This problem is not constant and when it occurs a reboot seems to sort it out temporarily.

Now neither of us are novices when it comes to PC's so we've done the obvious, virus checks etc.

I found a sugestion elsewhere that creating a new admin acount may resolve these, it didn't. Sounds like registary problem right? we've treid scanning the reg. found a few invalid keys delted them this didn't solve the issuse. We're both stumped, so i come to you H/A for some ...well help and advice.

RMH03 on

• Options
    RMH03RMH03 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    fell of the first page.
    *bump*

RMH03 on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    These symptoms sound more virus-like than Windows corruption, although anything is possible. I'd just recommend the usual, sysinternals.com for Process Explorer and Autoruns. If you can't find anything suspicious with those, try running sfc. If that doesn't work, dban :P

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yup, it's probably not worth the hassle to actually deal with this. Copy what you need off the drive and then reformat & start over.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png