As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

windows xp language bar (japanese)

spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having a little trouble with my windows language bar. I would like to have it so I can type in Japanese (hiragana and katakana), but currently it is not cooperating with me.

It used to work just fine. I could have the option of switching between English and Japanese just by the click of a button. This is not a feature that I use every day, and I have not had to use it in several weeks. Today I was trying to look up a specific Japanese word, so I was going to switch the language bar to Japanese, but it had changed. For some reason many of the buttons on the language bar (well, 1 button at least) had gone missing, and that was the input mode button. Trying to get that button back, somehow made the entire language bar disappear. Well, I got the language bar back, and got it to switch to Japanese, but now it only types in either hiragana or katakana... and I can't switch between the two.

A few minutes ago I was testing it out and it typed hiragana (with romanji input) just fine. The next minute it changed to katakana, and now I can't get it back. After seeking out help on tutorials, I read that [alt] + [~] switches between input modes. But for me, it only switches between roman letters and romanji input katakana.

It's difficult to make my problem very clear, but it's kind of frustrating. Anyone have any advice? Basically I want to switch between romanji-input katakana and hiragana fairly easily.

edit: and while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good online Japanese to English/English to japanese dictionary that (preferably) uses katakana and hiragana instead of romanization? Thanks!

test.jpg
spacerobot on

• Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The default keyboard shortucts are CTRL-CAPS to write in hiragana and ALT-CAPS to write in katakana. If you can't find the buttons on your language bar, just go to Taskbar Properties and uncheck "Lock the taskbar." You can then click & drag on the line beside the "EN" on your taskbar in order to reveal the other buttons.

|EDIT| As for dictionaries, there are three worth using: WWWJDIC, Eijirou, and goo.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ありがと! That's perfect. thanks!

edit: ありがとう。 I thought it looked off the first time I wrote it.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    xizoesiraxizoesira Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    you missed your u

arigatou

sorry

xizoesira on