As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whacked-out, wild-eyed conspiracy theories

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's been a good while since we've had one of these. List the best conspiracy theory you've heard of, no matter how ridiculous, that hasn't been debunked yet. We've all heard of the Grassy Knoll so the more obscure theories are desirable.

One I've heard - the countries controlled by the Illuminati are easy to spot; just look at the country's flag. Flags that contain Red, White, and Blue are controlled by the same shadow government who build up prosperous nations and trade agreements in order to stabilize international organized crime. Russia, USA, Great Britain, France, Australia, Cuba - all of these countries and more are ruled by the same people. The Cold War was a sham made up to raise fears and drive up military spending - from the very beginning of the 1950s it was decided neither side would fire a shot but it was expected that the Cold War would drive up nationalism and 'competition' for increased productivity.

It's not clear on how countries with only some of the tri-color present in their flags fit with the shadow government (Canada, Israel, Greece, etc.) but what is clear is that during the Second World War, the bulk of Allied forces (even China) were fighting under Red, White, and Blue against the Axis, which had no countries with a tri-color flag.

Also, Elvis faked his own death.

emnmnme on

• Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I heard a rather interesting one about those darn space commies,china and russia, setting up a millitary moon base and distracting the other countries by funding crazy power hungry dictators lol.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When you say "that hasn't been debunked yet" .. what do you mean? Red-white-blue are just popular colours for flags. Unless fellow Illuminati Serbia planned to get invaded.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Obligatory XKCD.

conspiracy_theories.png

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, when I say 'hasn't been debunked yet,' I mean like cold fusion being a hoax. The Soviets stealing Hitler's corpse and keeping his brain in a jar is an example of a conspiracy theory debunked thanks to DNA comparisons.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My entropykid sense is going off.

I hope he's here soon.

Tach on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Isn't there still a lot of Titor nonsense floating around?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Glaeal wrote: »

His US civil war was supposed to start in 2004; so I'd hope most people have given up now..

Æthelred on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've heard one concerning some detention centers being built (I think in Oklahoma) with the intent to house people disloyal to Bush after he cancels the 2008 election in response to another terrorist attack.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JFK was killed by the mob at Joe Dimaggio request in retaliation for JFK and Bobby Kennedy having Marylin Monroe killed to keep her from going public that she had slept with them both.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh, I always liked the one about a secret underground civilization hiding... well, underground.

They had ties to the Incas and other Pre-Colombian American civilizations, but hid completely from the Europeans. They also took all the treasures of these American civilizations to hide them from the Conquistaors. Their underground domain is only accessible from a handful of caverns hidden around the world. They're still out there, hiding from us. In the 50s, an explorer found one of the entrance caves and ventured into their domain, and made contact with them. They showed him lots of ancient treasures and ancient history books, then let him go back. That's how we know about it today.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I heard that if you say "Loose Change" Doc will show up at your house and kick you in the nuts.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    JFK was killed by the mob at Joe Dimaggio request in retaliation for JFK and Bobby Kennedy having Marylin Monroe killed to keep her from going public that she had slept with them both.

I've kinda wondered but after seeing that famous The Onion spoof, what did Kennedy have to do with the Free Masons? Besides, everybody knows Johnson killed Kennedy at the behest of Fidel Castro. ;-)

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That's another thing - is it possible to see the flag on the surface of the moon from Earth? I know we don't have satellites in the moon's orbit but we know where the flag is and we know how fast the moon is traveling. I just figure that a camera on one of the space shuttles (with assistance from computers) might be able to glimpse evidence we were on the moon. Is the flag still on the moon or has it worn away from mini-meteorites and radiation?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    How about the Lacerta interview?

http://www.sabon.org/reptiloid/index3.html

Also, David Icke's collected works.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    That's another thing - is it possible to see the flag on the surface of the moon from Earth? I know we don't have satellites in the moon's orbit but we know where the flag is and we know how fast the moon is traveling. I just figure that a camera on one of the space shuttles (with assistance from computers) might be able to glimpse evidence we were on the moon. Is the flag still on the moon or has it worn away from mini-meteorites and radiation?

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/missions/apollo15_touchdown_photos_010427.html

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    RandomtaskRandomtask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's a good WTC-related one I talked about with Jinnigan the other day. It's pretty ridiculous.

The first image behind the spoiler is an average demolitions setup for a controlled implosion of a building. The sticks on the support are RDX. Nasty stuff. Melts steel. The image below it is one of the WTC rubble. Above the fireman's head is a support beam. If you look closely at it, it's at the same angle as the image of the demolition team working, and appears melted.

Also, there's a video of the WTC complex owner talking about how he ordered the smaller building demoed, and that's why it fell. Which is odd, because it takes DAYS to prepare a demolition.
    343155.jpg
    pic87932.jpg

Hack away, gents!

Randomtask on
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I can't seem to find the link, but as I recall no telescope ever built has the resolution to see any of the landing equipment from Earth.

So, no.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Just like how you can't actually see the Great Wall of China from space.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, regardless of individual opinions, do we all agree that there was some kind of conspiracy behind JFK?

Personally, I'm not so sure. And if there was, I doubt the government had anything to do with it.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Glaeal wrote: »

His US civil war was supposed to start in 2004; so I'd hope most people have given up now..

I thought it was 2008.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, regardless of individual opinions, do we all agree that there was some kind of conspiracy behind JFK?

Personally, I'm not so sure. And if there was, I doubt the government had anything to do with it.

Then you might enjoy this book.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What makes you think there was? I've seen the shot from the book suppository (lol Full Metal Jacket) simulated using the same model rifle, ballistic jelly and a simulated skeletal structure. Worked out eerily similar.

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Randomtask wrote: »
    Here's a good WTC-related one I talked about with Jinnigan the other day. It's pretty ridiculous.

The first image behind the spoiler is an average demolitions setup for a controlled implosion of a building. The sticks on the support are RDX. Nasty stuff. Melts steel. The image below it is one of the WTC rubble. Above the fireman's head is a support beam. If you look closely at it, it's at the same angle as the image of the demolition team working, and appears melted.

Also, there's a video of the WTC complex owner talking about how he ordered the smaller building demoed, and that's why it fell. Which is odd, because it takes DAYS to prepare a demolition.
    343155.jpg
    pic87932.jpg

Hack away, gents!

Well, just for starters, with they way the towers fell, why would they have put explosives that low in the structure? Also, exactly what are we looking at? Is this a narrow beam that is leaning towards the camera or an exceptionally wide one standing upright?

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    during the Second World War, the bulk of Allied forces (even China) were fighting under Red, White, and Blue against the Axis, which had no countries with a tri-color flag.

I- Italy...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

343155.jpg
    pic87932.jpg

Hack away, gents!

They ordered WTC Building 7 to be demolished because it had become structurally unstable.

You're right, it does take a long time for a building to be rigged for demolition. The building collapsed on it's own before the rigging could be done.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Space_PenginSpace_Pengin Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Everyone knows John Wilkes Booth and the other presidential killers traveled through time and convinced Lee Harvey Oswald to do it. Duh.

Space_Pengin on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Maybe it worked out ... a little too well! Another cover up!

By the way, who here watched the X-Files fanatically?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

343155.jpg
    pic87932.jpg

Hack away, gents!

Well, just for starters, with they way the towers fell, why would they have put explosives that low in the structure? Also, exactly what are we looking at? Is this a narrow beam that is leaning towards the camera or an exceptionally wide one standing upright?

Well, if you watch the video, there are explosions as the towers fall out the sides that look possibly like... um... I think they're called squibs. Indicative of a controlled demolition. There are many, many explosions in a controlled demo, including on the bottom floor.

I don't know how the images are formatted on your screen, but it's the beam that is right below the beam in the top photo. It's just a bit above the central fireman's head.

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

343155.jpg
    pic87932.jpg

Hack away, gents!

They ordered WTC Building 7 to be demolished because it had become structurally unstable.

You're right, it does take a long time for a building to be rigged for demolition. The building collapsed on it's own before the rigging could be done.

What did it become structurally unstable FROM, though? I mean, some fires? I find that hard to believe. That building going down looked EXACTLY like a controlled demo.

EDIT: So you know, totally playing Devil's Advocate, here.

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    question.jpg

"Topically applied fluoride does not prevent tooth decay, it does render teeth detectable by spy satellite"
    "The plastic tips on shoelaces are called aglets, their true purpose is sinister"
    "There was a magic bullet, it was forged by illuminati mystics to prevent us from learning the truth"
    "Secret messages encoded in amino acid chains in carb-free breakfast bars"

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Blair Which Project is real! It really happened, the movie really is a real-life videotape some hikers found in the woods.

The "actors" who appeared at red-carpet events and premieres claiming to be starring in the movie are fakes, lying, because people wouldn't pay to see a movie showing the real death of a bunch of kids.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Everyone knows John Wilkes Booth and the other presidential killers traveled through time and convinced Lee Harvey Oswald to do it. Duh.

Sondheim ftw.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wow. No comments on the Reptiloid crap? I'm amazed.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The "everyone in charge is really secretly reptiles" conspiracy theory just really can't be talked about. I mean, what can you say apart from 'eh? no.'
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    during the Second World War, the bulk of Allied forces (even China) were fighting under Red, White, and Blue against the Axis, which had no countries with a tri-color flag.

I- Italy...

.. Red, White, and Green.

edit: Whoops, you're right. Turns out the monarchist flag up until 1943 had some blue.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    SiriusSirius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The "everyone in charge is really secretly reptiles" conspiracy theory just really can't be talked about. I mean, what can you say apart from 'eh? no.'

I wouldn't say too much more about this if I were you. ...You can't handle the truth! ...You gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you! How far down does the rabbit hole go?! ...or something.

xenu-pam.jpg

Sirius on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Had anyone debunked Denver Airport yet? That place has everything from very very creepy murals, to runways in the shape of a swastika, to Masonic symbols, to a huge network of (mostly unused) underground tunnels.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    WorLordWorLord Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Has anyone directly addressed Scientology yet? As strange as the reptilioids, but with a lot of people actually believing it.

EDIT: People who are usually way too rich to be that stupid.

WorLord on
    ...privately black.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    WorLord wrote: »
    Has anyone directly addressed Scientology yet? As strange as the reptilioids, but with a lot of people actually believing it.

EDIT: People who are usually way too rich to be that stupid.
    but most of them did get rich by playing make believe...

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Boy that's weird, I never knew about Denver Airport. I guess it does look a bit like a swastika..

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&tab=wl&hl=en&q=Denver+Airport

(Make sure you look at it in satellite view)

And it's a really bad swastika. :P

Aurin on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    strangelove3.jpg

"Why, they've even begun testing fluoridation in even ice cream, Mandrake... Children's ice cream!"

There's also many theories about hidden symbols in the US dollar bills, like the eye of God, pentagrams, etc. etc. Good stuff to read if you are bored at 2:30 in the morning.

Lucky Cynic on