As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's wrong with my Baldur's Gate 2?

D-CardD-Card Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Over this past winter break, I went and played through Baldur's Gate 2 again, but when school started I stopped. Yesterday, I tried to resume my game, but when I put in my Throne of Bhaal disk (that's the expansion) the autorun menu had options to install instead of play. I looked at my programs in control panel, saw that ToB was still listed, and uninstalled it. It uninstalled successfully, but noted that it could not locate the registry entry for BG2 itself.

I put in the BG2 disk, and the autorun has the option to play...but nothing happens when I click it. I searched my hard drive with a fine-toothed comb, and there are no BG2 files anywhere except in something called the "prefetch" folder (being not too technical, I have no clue what that means). This has put me in this wierd sort of stalemate, where I can't uninstall BG2 and reinstall it, since the game thinks it already exists, but I can't just install the expansion because the expansion thinks it doesn't exist.

So I'm totally stumped. Any help would be sorely welcome.

D-Card on

• dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Try browsing to the CD drive in windows explorer, finding the install program (probably setup.exe or install.exe), and running it.

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    dsplaisted's suggestion is worth a shot, but in all likelihood you're going to have to do this and possibly this. BG2 was somewhat notorious for having weird uninstall related issues.

Clipse on