As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can you help me find a job? - Portland to Seattle

iamgregoriamgregor Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm new to the forums so I'm sorry to post something like this right off, but I really need some advice. I'm looking for a new career path where I can use my skills and talents instead of just my abilities.

Specifically, I have a Master's Degree in Computer Science and I've been doing secure systems design work for a three-letter agency in the DC area for the last 2 years. I'm making good money, but I grew up in the Northwest and all my family is there. More importantly, I can make a good living doing system design for the feds, but it's just not what I want to do.

If you will bear with me, here is a short rundown of me:

I have strong communication skills (oddly so for a technical person such as myself). I used to work in sales and I've honed the ability to explain complicated things to people in simple terms. On that note, I have spent many years in school, at work, and at home gathering information about things and compiling it into reports, papers, and documents for other people to read. In other words, I am a good "research then report"-er.

I love to design and express myself creatively though my true skills lie in improving ideas of others. For example, I play a game and can see many different creative ways to improve it or just vary it enough that it doesn't get boring. I can often be found lurking in the game forums of my favorite MMO making suggestions that I hope someone is listening to.

I have artistic skills and can draw and do graphic design work. I currently have a tiny, rarely-updated web comic, but have used graphic design skills for years in over 10 years of personal web design. I guess I forgot to mention all the web systems I've developed (including one for NASA, but I was just an intern so it's not as impressive as it sounds).

I am a strong proponent of "normal people". I don't like to see marketers, advertisers, and the government manipulate and cheat ordinary people (which is why I could never really make it big in the sales career). I work hard to keep people informed about current technology and laws that affect their privacy and security (on one of my websites for example).

In summary...

I'm torn between a few paths and on each path, I'm at a loss how to proceed.

Option 1: Work at becoming a creative director (or whatever the title is) for a game studio, a movie studio, or something similar where I can apply my "improvement creativity" to help other people refine ideas and try new directions without having to create everything from scratch myself (which I can do, but I'm not as good at).

Option 2: Work for a company or organization as someone who's job it is to make sure the products are consumer friendly, easy to use, and not manipulative or evil in some way. I thought of working for Microsoft so I could show them how dumb it is to make products that people can't even use, but I abandoned that because I'm sure they'll read my website and blog when I apply there.

Option 3: Find someone who'll pay me to research information that helps consumers and help them report it through the web and other means. In other words, I'd find out about ways to prevent ID theft or other stuff like that and help educate the public in general about it.

Option 4: Work with a company who does seminars, lectures or holds classes in consumer proctection (in relations to technology). For example, someone who specializes in protecting kids online or how to secure your home system in 10 easy steps or whatever.

My question:

What kind of companies in Washington State or Oregon would I be able to work for? What kinds of job titles am I looking for? What sites or resources can you point me to that would help me out? Where can I go that I can really make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

iamgregor on