As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photoshop help

Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, I have a few questions about photoshop, which so far google and absurd amounts of tutorials have yet to be able to answer.

First, when I paste something, it always goes into a new layer, is there anyway to stop that? So basically if I want to create a shape, then do like 8 duplicates for a pattern, I'd have 8 layers.

Second, Is there anyway to make it so it automatically creates a transparent layer to draw on, I find far too often I'm opening up photoshop drawing great, realize I've been doing so on my background layer and thus have to scrap the entire damn drawing and start over.

Third, is there a way to NOT have to scrap the entire drawing when I make said mistake?

Fourth, how do you draw with a premade texture, when I try it just comes out black, regardless of any pattern I pick.

I've been using flash for the last 6 years or so, so this is a quite annoying transition(though necessary). If it makes any difference, I have CS2.

Thanks.

Spectral Swallow on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    To copy and paste within a layer, select what you want to copy and then hold down Alt and move the selection with the mouse - it will duplicate the selection and allow you to move the duplicate until you deselect it.

To create documents with a transparent background choose transparent in Background Contents when you create a new file. You can also save a pre-set with this setting if you wish in the New File window.

If you do draw directly onto the background layer, you can use Select > Colour Range to isolate the drawing form the background image and then cut and paste it onto a new layer (then delete the background layer if necessary). Depending on what the contrast and solidity of your drawn is like this can have varying degrees of success. Experiment with it to see if it's any use to you.

I don't really know anything about pre-made textures.

Szechuanosaurus on