As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Zerg Harder

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    No you're not!

Ok, yeah you are.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just love how "I'm Korean" is unhappy information from a game opponent.

Strato on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    No you're not!

Ok, yeah you are.

:D

sarukun on
  • Options
    YggdrasillYggdrasill Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well the story of the temple is that when the Xel'Naga first appeared to the Protoss, they were hailed as gods, so a temple was built on the spot where the first touched ground on Aiur. It's location, then, is on a Nexus of powerful cosmic energies. The power does not come from the temple. It's really just a marker of a spot where there happens to be a ton of powerful energy. The religious Protoss built a temple there because they believed it to be sacred.

The crystals are volatile. When you bring them in contact with the energies, they flare up and destroy everything. I'm pretty sure they said, in so many words "If we bring these specific crystals to those powerful energies, the result may be powerful enough to destroy the zerg blah blah blah"

Yggdrasill on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks you guys, I'll kill some Terran for you

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yggdrasill wrote: »
    Well the story of the temple is that when the Xel'Naga first appeared to the Protoss, they were hailed as gods, so a temple was built on the spot where the first touched ground on Aiur. It's location, then, is on a Nexus of powerful cosmic energies. The power does not come from the temple. It's really just a marker of a spot where there happens to be a ton of powerful energy. The religious Protoss built a temple there because they believed it to be sacred.

The crystals are volatile. When you bring them in contact with the energies, they flare up and destroy everything. I'm pretty sure they said, in so many words "If we bring these specific crystals to those powerful energies, the result may be powerful enough to destroy the zerg blah blah blah"

I don't remember them saying anything about the crystals being volatile when put into contact with this "energies".

I'll play the Brood War campaigns again, so I'll know for sure in a couple of days.

sarukun on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    I just love how "I'm Korean" is unhappy information from a game opponent.

It was terrible. I lost all will to play after that, and drowned my sorrows in Counterstrike.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Or, if that leaves you unsatisfied, from wikipedia:
    Xel'Naga and Protoss Temples

Xel'Naga Temples are relics left behind by the Xel'Naga, a race in the StarCraft universe which was nearly destroyed by the Zerg countless ages ago. They have visited many planets in the Milky Way Galaxy, including Aiur, homeworld of the Protoss.

The Protoss Temple on Aiur was built on a nexus of cosmic energy (the same type of energy used by the Dark Templar and the Zerg) and marked the spot where the Xel'Naga first set foot on Aiur.

It was destroyed by the Zerg so the Zerg Overmind could manifest itself physically on Aiur. The Overmind said of it: "Behold, there is a temple, not far from here, that lies upon ground most hallowed. Though I have borne witness to the passing of countless millennia, the temple which you must assault is older by far. For it was constructed by my creators, the Xel'Naga, and it marks the site where the Xel'Naga first set foot upon Aiur."

The second Xel'Naga Temple was found on Shakuras, current homeland of the Dark Templar. Again, it was built on a nexus of cosmic energy. It consisted of a pyramid-shaped structure with a small floating crystalline top, and appeared very different (and larger) than the Temple on Aiur. Through the use of the Khalis and Uraj Crystals, Artanis and Zeratul were able to use the light and dark sides of Protoss psionic energy to activate it, and scour the Zerg from the dark world.

The Xel'Naga Temple did not have a psionic shield during the game, but it did during the cinematic as the Zerg attacked it after it was activated because the Protoss that evacuated into the temple combined their psionic energies to create the immense shield capable of holding back thousands of Zerg.

[edit] Theories about the Temples

Very little is known about the Temple on Aiur, but the second Temple had a few clues:

First was the use of cosmic energy. It appears the Xel'Naga, a race which had at least some psychics (and used psionic technology such as Khaydarin Crystals), but this energy is opposed to the "purity of essence" used by the Khalai. This is the same energy used by the Zerg.

Through study, the Dark Templar knew that the Xel'Naga Temple could destroy the Zerg, possibly through the use of cosmic energy, but why was the light side of Protoss psionics required as well? Possibly the Temple was supposed to be used by Xel'Naga and Protoss working together to attack the Zerg. The Temple only affected Zerg on the planet, though.

The Temple was not reactivated in Drawing the Web but could be reactivated in Enslavers: Dark Vengeance, which took place before Drawing the Web.

Some fans of the game claim you can see "bugs" in the Temple. While the Zerg are "bugs", these bugs didn't resemble any known Zerg Broods. No one knows what the Xel'Naga look like, but it's likely they are not humanoid in form (since they're not pure of form, and the Protoss are humanoid in form). It's possible these "bugs" were representations of the Xel'Naga. Also, some say that it appears that the temple destroys both Zerg and Protoss. This could be explained by the temple being used to destroy the creations of the Xel'Naga, which would make it a weapon against both the Protoss and Zerg. This could also explain why the temple requires both the light and dark side of psionics. They need both types to identify what to destroy, the light side to identify the Protoss, the dark to identify the Zerg.

Yggdrasill on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When my friend and I are ATing, and loose horribly, we revert to gimmick strategies, like mass fairy dragons, or mass banshee possession.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Grasping at straws, which brings us back to the fact that it wasn't really explained, which hints to me that it wasn't well though out, which annoys me.

I'm a big fan of everyone being Tolkien-type fanatical about their mythologies.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Trexy wrote: »
    When my friend and I are ATing, and loose horribly, we revert to gimmick strategies, like mass fairy dragons, or mass banshee possession.

Mass steam tanks is so, so hilarious.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    sarukun wrote: »

Mass steam tanks is so, so hilarious.

It’s been used a bit too much to be considered a gimmick though.
    :|
    Human players will just tower up a couple expansions, and dick around with steam tanks.
    Edit:And a buncha heroes too.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Grasping at straws, which brings us back to the fact that it wasn't really explained, which hints to me that it wasn't well though out, which annoys me.

Well, any details about the Xel'Naga seem almost purposefully vague and mysterious, which i think enhances their appeal. The secret mission tells me that the Xel'Naga may be a lot more well-thought out than the rest of the game lets on. Duran says he serves a far greater power than Kerrigan, and here he is using the terrans to engineer hybrids. Supposedly the Xel'Naga are a big part of the storyline in Starcraft II, so maybe you'll find out why so little was revealed.

Then again maybe they didn't put quite as much polish on it because it's only an expansion pack. Shrug.

Yggdrasill on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My friend never even bothered with heroes.

One guy would play for real, and get no help from his buddy.

And then 10 minutes into the game, steam tanks would assault both bases and GG.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Well, any details about the Xel'Naga seem almost purposefully vague and mysterious, which i think enhances their appeal. The secret mission tells me that the Xel'Naga may be a lot more well-thought out than the rest of the game lets on. Duran says he serves a far greater power than Kerrigan, and here he is using the terrans to engineer hybrids. Supposedly the Xel'Naga are a big part of the storyline in Starcraft II, so maybe you'll find out why so little was revealed.

Then again maybe they didn't put quite as much polish on it because it's only an expansion pack. Shrug.

If the heroes know how and why, then there's no reason to leave the player out of the equation unless you're setting up something very specific.

I don't think they're going to come back to that temple and reveal something earth shattering that makes up for them not saying anything about how it was supposed to work.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Guys, bliz has always left their stories kinda open ended, so they can keep expanding on them in the expansions.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That's not even what we're talking about.

sarukun on
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    we require something...

kinda forgot what it was though.

i'll get back to ya...

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Genesteeler rush kekekekee

Weaver on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I imagine they ...radiate, or something.

See, now you're encountering the issues I have with the sequence.

"Put these two crystals in the temple, and it will totally explode."

"Awesome, let's do it."

The ONLY thing that makes sense to me now is that it is part of the Protoss power network, and adding the dark crystal made it deadly to the zerg.

It's really not that complicated.

The Protoss (High Templar) use Psi energy.

The Zerg use Warp energy.

The Protoss, early in the campaign, kill a Zerg Cerebrate with Psi energy, but it revives because its soul or essence or whatever can't be destroyed by Psi. It's only vulnerable to Warp. The physical form can be broken by anything...artillery shells, Psi energy, being thrown into the sun, whatever. But the essence can't be destoryed without Warp energy.

The Protoss (Dark Templar) use Warp energy. That's why the Zerg shit that gets killed by Zeratul stays dead forever and can't be brought back. That's why Tassadar learns to use both types of energy instead of sticking with Psi only.

I really don't see what's so hard here. Two types of energy, one can perma-kill the Zerg, the other can't.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Uh, it was the temple blowing up, not the energy.

You basically answered a quesiton no one asked.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My friend never even bothered with heroes.

One guy would play for real, and get no help from his buddy.

And then 10 minutes into the game, steam tanks would assault both bases and GG.

Your friend's a complete noob, and he's lucky if he ever won a game doing that. Siege engine rushes rarely ever work, and any good player who goes "hey it's five-to-ten minutes in and we haven't seen anything from the human player" immediately knows that they need to scout and see what they're teching to. If the scout is greeted by a wall of towers, good players know that something's up, and it's usually not hard to figure out what. If you really want to sneak-attack someone with a hard-hitting siege run, you play Orc and sneak in 6-8 raiders with decent upgrades while making a big attack on the other base, since raiders can actually get the job done.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    He's not a complete noob, he rarely used that strategy, and he was fully aware of its flaws.

It was fucking hilarious when it worked, though.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What part of it was unclear? That they blew up the temple? There was a mission in the game where you blew up a Protoss building and it caused a chain-reaction pylon explosion.

I don't know which part of this scenario isn't clearly explained by the game.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Basically, Defender, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »

What part of it was unclear? That they blew up the temple? There was a mission in the game where you blew up a Protoss building and it caused a chain-reaction pylon explosion.

I don't know which part of this scenario isn't clearly explained by the game.

Well, the fact that the temple doesn't actually "explode", merely that it chauses a huge radiation of energy that appears to only kill Zerg.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh man, you just threw down the gauntlet.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    This argument is a special kind of stupid.
    The kind that can only be settled in 1v1 bnetgrudgematch GOGOGOOGOGOGO

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man Spider-Man could totally take Aquaman.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    pokemon could beat up digimon

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    no wai u r dum

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Final Fantasy 7 was like, the best game ever made.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I love you

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    everything aftr WCI sukd

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Only being able to select 4 units forced you to micro.
    The game was better that way.

Trexy on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    After NWA hip hop practically ended.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I love you

Man, that was supposed to be a troll post.
    Even if it is true.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    After NWA hip hop practically ended.
    Run DMC could totally take take NWA in a space battle.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    and they're like
    "you wanna trade cards"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif