As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Zerg Harder

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Damnit, people are playing WC3 and no one told me? I have not played in a year. No one at school wanted to play with me. I played basically all 4 years of HS. That was my HS. WC3. Except a lot less than some of my friends.. and I was at like 45% wins. -sighz-

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Play with us then, geeze.

Trexy on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    11 works. I'll watch Pan's Labyrinth and it should finish then

I just finished that 30 minute defense in SC

I was disappointed that no zerg got into my base to meet the 50 soldiers waiting for them in the center of 100 mines.

If you really play hard, you can end up with one of these outcomes:

1) None of your units or buildings get destroyed. This is tough, but it can be done. Good micro practice.

2) Wipe the zerg off the map in the first 15 minutes and have command centers built at all their mineral deposits before the mission's up and you're "saved." This really teaches you how to mass the fuck out of your army and keep moving.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Damnit, people are playing WC3 and no one told me? I have not played in a year. No one at school wanted to play with me. I played basically all 4 years of HS. That was my HS. WC3. Except a lot less than some of my friends.. and I was at like 45% wins. -sighz-

Dude there are always people playing on BNet, you don't need to get your friends to play just to have a match.

So, guys, I just reviewed that FFA. There was a lot of good play in there. There were some cases where bad micro was a factor in certain battles, but most cases where someone lost was because they had an advantage and didn't press it at the right time, or they had the right units but simply didn't use them correctly. It was a pretty good game, overall.

Defender on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Trexy wrote: »
    I’m going to go for a run, before it gets tooooooo dark, then I’ll be willing to play anytime.

t tossrock – Yeah, my micro has degraded over time, but I still remember how to be a dick throughout the entire game.

FUCKING WYVERNS

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    Holy fuck. I decided to check out the Rise of Nations demo based on your opinions and christ, 725 MB.

Welcome to 2005.

Ohoho

Edit: Sorry...

Edit: Wait, if the demo is anything the original Rise of Nations demo, it should rock pretty hard. The demo for RoN gave you a few different races, and a quick battle mode with nothing restricted. I mean, I've bought RTS' and played nothing but the quick battle mode. It was a pretty dandy deal.

I think he's downloading Rise of Legends, not Rise of Nations.

Why they decided to call the game "Rise Of Nations: Rise Of Legends" I don't actually know but it is annoying

Pan's Labyrinth sucks so I just have it on the background now

Strato on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh fuck, you're right. I didn't notice that. Shit, back to the original dl (which was taking fucking forever).

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »

Dude there are always people playing on BNet, you don't need to get your friends to play just to have a match.

So, guys, I just reviewed that FFA. There was a lot of good play in there. There were some cases where bad micro was a factor in certain battles, but most cases where someone lost was because they had an advantage and didn't press it at the right time, or they had the right units but simply didn't use them correctly. It was a pretty good game, overall.

I was really awkward in that game. Couldn't get a decent attack on the undead, and as soon as I really tried the human came in and ganked my base.

Strato on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Gah! So confusing! I just realized Dangerou was talking about legends and not nations, so I'm fine.
    hurgleburgle

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I was really awkward in that game. Couldn't get a decent attack on the undead, and as soon as I really tried the human came in and ganked my base.

Yeah I saw that. You had a little skirmish with that 420Crosse where you basically won. You killed his paladin, which left him without a hero. Then you lost your warden by being careless (should've run her home to heal at wells, it was like five feet away) and cheap (you tried to blink when you should've sucked it up and portaled). Regardless, though, you still had a hero left and were winning the fight. You had bear tech and he was all rifles/mortars, so you probably could've fucked him up if you had continued to press at that exact moment. Just, you know, destroy his altar and then murder his army.

With the undead, you were doing OK, but the big mistake you made was overcommitting to the attack. In a normal game, that would have been fine, but you had no way to defend your home and 420Crosse doesn't care if you kill someone else's base. In a team game, you're just trading one base for another. In an FFA, you're trading the chance to kill someone for your ONLY base.

EDIT: For what it's worth, 420Crosse was the last guy left. He ran out of gold at one point and couldn't even revive his hero.

EDIT 2: It's really better to have a bad that nobody wants to fuck with and an army that's good at hit-and-run either on other people's bases or on their armies. You know, kill a few units, gain some exp, make another player waste some money, and all without spending much of your own cash. My army had raiders and healing wards and got all three armor upgrades by the time that it had only one weapon upgrade. The idea here is that I can gain cash by pillaging, I can net and kill powerful units or heroes for points (and to make people not want to mess with me), and I get fast, free healing. Plus map surveillance. With towers at home, nobody really wants to fight me in my base, because if you try to run in, you get a stasis trap. If you try to run out, I net a guy or two in range of towers. Or I just net a guy or two in the field and pound him with melee. The reason the armor upgrades went before weapons was because that makes my healing wards more effective; every point I heal takes more time for you to take away again, so my units rarely need to be replaced.

With NE, you might have wanted to do a mass moonwell strategy (granted this was the non-tavern version, so you couldn't). Get a base that, when your heroes or your army is around, nobody can destroy. There's not even much to bust up for experience points. Make people not want to mess with you. Then you can go around and raid towns, kill workers, creep, or gank people. Eventually you can just build a massive chippo force or whatever and take flying dumps on people.

The point here is what your team always says in Metal Gear Solid. You're outnumbered. The enemy aren't all on the same side (wait for MGS4 for that one), but the point is that defense is much more important than offense. If you spend everything attacking someone, but leave your own home open, you are very vulnerable. If you keep a small, mobile force and make people pay for it every time they hit you at home or in the field, you'll be much harder to kill.

Just don't be too deadly, or they might make a temporary alliance against you, which is what happens in the campaign mode all the time.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    She blinked and reappeared as a corpse :|

Strato on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If 420crosse plays with us again, you all have my permission to be a huge dick to him, and constantly blow up his buildings with goblin sappers, raid his base with troll batriders, and harass him with invisible mortars,

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Can you keep people from building expansions with detector wards/shades anymore?

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A warden doesn't go well with archers I guess.

She's all hay guys, a little help with the melee?

Strato on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I love warden, but she’s tied with dreadlord for “most painfully fragile melee hero in the game”

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A warden doesn't go well with archers I guess.

She's all hay guys, a little help with the melee?

You were doing well with her. Archers are great for laying out heavy damage. The problem with her is that she can't stop a line of grunts from running your archers over, but that wasn't the problem in your case, since your enemy was all ranged anyway.
    Can you keep people from building expansions with detector wards/shades anymore?

No, people can build over wards. This is actually BETTER, because that way you can destroy the expo and they don't know that you see it. The way you keep someone from expanding with a ward is by running out and breaking the expo as soon as they turn their backs.

Shades, however, still block buildings. I have caught and killed shades before because of that. Sometimes, that's how I find out that they HAVE shades, so sometimes it ends up hurting my enemy when that happens.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You used to be able to block off bridges with shades.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I love warden, but she’s tied with dreadlord for “most painfully fragile melee hero in the game”

Tinker?

But yeah, OK, she's not really a toe-to-toe fighter. She does have blink, though. At high levels, she telescopes and is death incarnate. She and the blademaster just become these ultra-terrifying ninjas, appearing out of nowhere, slashing, poisoning, killing, and then vanishing. Almost impossible to kill as long as there's a defended place for them to retreat to like a base full of moonwells or towers.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You used to be able to block off bridges with shades.

Yeah I remember that. Can't do that either. When a shade and a regular unit walk into each other, the shade gets blocked, but the regular unit doesn't. This can cause shades to lose people they were trailing as they go around corners, but it also means that the enemy is less likely to notice your shade since it won't fuck up their pathing.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Tinker?

But yeah, OK, she's not really a toe-to-toe fighter. She does have blink, though. At high levels, she telescopes and is death incarnate. She and the blademaster just become these ultra-terrifying ninjas, appearing out of nowhere, slashing, poisoning, killing, and then vanishing. Almost impossible to kill as long as there's a defended place for them to retreat to like a base full of moonwells or towers.

Damn your windwalk

I knew I should have bought that powder stuff

It seemed so useless at the time

Strato on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If 420crosse plays with us again, you all have my permission to be a huge dick to him, and constantly blow up his buildings with goblin sappers, raid his base with troll batriders, and harass him with invisible mortars,

He was the opposite side of the map from me, so I fought him last. It was disconcerting to see a level 8 paladin when the last time I saw him it was a level 2 paladin. Thankfully, he only had one point in Divine Shield, so when I sacrificed everyone except my lead hero and two ethereal units to kill him, it worked. Also fortunately, he didn't have enough money to bring the fucker back, whereas I had plenty of cash.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Tinker?

Damn your windwalk

I knew I should have bought that powder stuff

It seemed so useless at the time

Dust is really nice, but there are alternatives. Sight wards, shades, Owl Scout (PotM) or Owl Sentinel (Huntresses), Reveal (Arcane Towers with Magic Sentry upgrade), Flare (Mortar Teams with Flare upgrade).

The nice thing about those alternatives is that, aside from Owl Sentinel (you only get ONE per hunt), you can use them over and over for no extra money. Dust is great, but it's only 20 seconds and after two uses you have to pay another 75 gold. Plus it takes an item slot.

Human should pretty much ALWAYS have Magic Sentry if they have an Arcane Sanctum. It's cheap and it fills your base with detectors, not to mention that your arcanes can basically give you a free reveal (retail value 50 gold) every 45 seconds.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is tinker really melee?
    Cause if he is, I have been playing dota for WAY too long.

In my defense, even in ideal matchups, tinkerer surmounts to being almost worth using over other heros, but not really.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    For some reason I never like getting neutral heroes.

I wish they would just be unique units you could buy with an ability or two, but didn't gain levels and stuff.

Hiring a random guy to be a hero for your race is just strange.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is tinker really melee?

In my defense, even in ideal matchups, tinkerer surmounts to being almost worth using over other heros, but not really.

Tinker is melee, despite being an Intelligence hero. His passive Engineering Upgrade ability helps him not to be such a puss, but that requires spending hero points.

Here's something weird. Every ranged hero has a 600 range, EXCEPT the Firelord. For some reason, that hero has a 550 range. He is the only one. No idea why.

The tinker is stupid awesome for rushes. That pocket factory is OBSCENE. The little sumbitches it pops out don't do much individually, but it lasts a LONG TIME and those guys do something like 30 splash damage when they die. So even killing them hurts the enemy. They are great for absorbing a little fire and dealing a little damage. Very annoying and very useful to the Tinker's army. Cheese rushes with the Tinker aren't uncommon, I've seen a ton of them. Dual-NE teams love dual-tinker rushes supported by archers/hunts.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I wish they would just be unique units you could buy with an ability or two, but didn't gain levels and stuff.

I try to think of it like The Seven Samurai. Those guys weren't from that town, but they fought for it anyway.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

To not take advantage to Naga Seawitch and Panda is just silly.
    The rest I could see ignoring.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I pretty much forgot they all existed, probably cause they were added partway through the game. Were they a feature of FT or just a patch addition?

The Panda I remember has flame breath and the Seawitch has frozen arrow. That's all I remember about them.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is tinker really melee?

Tinker is melee, despite being an Intelligence hero. His passive Engineering Upgrade ability helps him not to be such a puss, but that requires spending hero points.

Here's something weird. Every ranged hero has a 600 range, EXCEPT the Firelord. For some reason, that hero has a 550 range. He is the only one. No idea why.

The tinker is stupid awesome for rushes. That pocket factory is OBSCENE. The little sumbitches it pops out don't do much individually, but it lasts a LONG TIME and those guys do something like 30 splash damage when they die. So even killing them hurts the enemy. They are great for absorbing a little fire and dealing a little damage. Very annoying and very useful to the Tinker's army. Cheese rushes with the Tinker aren't uncommon, I've seen a ton of them. Dual-NE teams love dual-tinker rushes supported by archers/hunts.

I’ve seen replays of pocket factory rushes, but really, if the rush doesn’t work, it is fairly easy to build/play in a way that makes tinker next to useless.

The only time I remember ever getting him used against me, I was nightelf, and just mana burned tinker, and fell back when he dropped factories until he was reduced to uselessness.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

The Naga used to have a base speed of 320. My god that was so broken.

For those who don't know, here are some speeds:

270 - Slow heroes like Paladin, Lich, Tauren Chieftain (no aura), Mountain King, Crypt Lord, Dread Lord, etc. Also footmen, grunts, ghouls without Ghoul Frenzy, Taurens, Aboms, etc.
    300 - Medium heroes, namely Blademaster and Blood Mage. Those are the only two.
    320 - Fast heroes, like Archmage, Dark Ranger, Far Seer, ALL Night Elf heroes, Death Knight (and that's WITHOUT the aura).
    360 - Huntresses, raiders, knights, ghouls with Ghoul Frenzy.

So the Naga has an arrow spell that slows people down, plus she runs as fast as, say, a Demon Hunter. What's wrong with this picture? Yep, she got nerfed down to 270.

OK enough chat, it's 11:00. USEast, channel PA.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I pretty much forgot they all existed, probably cause they were added partway through the game. Were they a feature of FT or just a patch addition?

The Panda I remember has flame breath and the Seawitch has frozen arrow. That's all I remember about them.

The flamebreath combo is arguably the best AoE damage spell in the game.
    It is not uncommon in FFA games on tavern maps to see 2-3 pandas in a game.

Trexy on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I remember LANing with a friend. And he had a Naga seawitch... and I was about to destroy him. So I was all like, "NAGA?! NAGANNA WIN!"

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The only time I remember ever getting him used against me, I was nightelf, and just mana burned tinker, and fell back when he dropped factories until he was reduced to uselessness.

Yeah it's basically a micro issue.

More people need to get in!

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I remember LANing with a friend. And he had a Naga seawitch... and I was about to destroy him. So I was all like, "NAGA?! NAGANNA WIN!"

Sam...Ire?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Yo dogg, come to channel PA on usEast for hot dickings.

Trexy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

USEast, channel PA. Get there.

Defender on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I haven't used Tavern heroes for a while, are any of them really that great?

Orestes on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am guessing that most people in the world now know about Starcraft 2.
    People at work, whom know I play these fangled computer game things, are randomly bringing it up to me.
    "So.. how about that Starcraft 2?"
    It's the new mully-personalized "How are you liking the weather?"

Also, Orestes - come to VanPAX.

mully on
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mully wrote: »
    I am guessing that most people in the world now know about Starcraft 2.
    People at work, whom know I play these fangled computer game things, are randomly bringing it up to me.
    "So.. how about that Starcraft 2?"
    It's the new mully-personalized "How are you liking the weather?"

Also, Orestes - come to VanPAX.

When and where? And Vancouver is not specific enough.

Orestes on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I try to think of it like The Seven Samurai. Those guys weren't from that town, but they fought for it anyway.

speaking of which, has anyone seen that movie seven swords?

good or bad?

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on