As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why is River a Terminator? Sarah Conner Chronicles

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Why does Fox keep picking up sci-fi shows if they're just going to cancel them the second the ratings dip? Are they throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks, hoping for another X-Files blockbuster?

Because they can't cancel The Simpsons

each episode of The Simpsons costs $TEXAS

so if it even looks like another show is going to drop, it gets shitcanned

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    The way I look at this show, both John and Skynet are the product of paradox.

Neither one can exist in an "original", unaltered timeline that didn't involve someone going back and dicking with something.

The existence of John Connor and the existence of Skynet are basically tied together, and yet each is trying to destroy the other.

In the first film, John and Skynet both use time travel to try to affect the existence of John Connor. Skynet goes back to try to stop John from existing, John sends back Kyle Reese specifically to make sure he himself will come into existence.

In th second film, it's like that again... but something changes. They decide to try to destroy Skynet instead, only to learn Skynet itself wouldn't have existed had it not sent back something in the future.

So now both Skynet and John are involved in some kind of complicated time war where they have moved past trying to just write each other out as a primary objective, and are instead trying to use time travel to improve themselves. John uses things like the Four Horsemen to set up supplies and assistence for himself in the future, and Skynet has Terminators it is sending back now to do more than kill John Connor, like the Terminator who was supposed to blow up the nuke plant, or the one trying to kill Martin Bidell.

Weaver, too, is another possibility that Skynet isn't just trying to eliminate its nemesis, it is also trying to improve itself.

So I think that's an interesting direction for the show to take.

thank you, you get it, why noone else does is beyond me.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mark my words, this series will end with a groggy sarah conner waking up after falling down while slipping on water.

Only to shrug it off and serve someone some pie as the credits roll.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I still prefer the idea, even though it's technically unworkable, that we're looking at it backwards. Why would Skynet, if it became more advanced, send a T-800 to the past? The hint's in the opening narration for the first film: the T-800 is a last-ditch effort. Skynet can't afford a more useful soldier to be sent, as it has its hands full with Connor. But it also knows that a T-800 should be effective, and that Connor will never be more vulnerable. The T-800 is Skynet's final attempt to take out John Connor before the human resistance finally wins. The termination attempts are farther in the future the earlier Skynet sent them, because it had the resources then. It would also likely want to minimize damage to the timeline and so send them to closer points in the timestream where it would be easier to predict the results.

But again, that just doesn't work.

Anyway, I love this show. The past few episodes were awesometastic.
    If I were Skynet, really, I'd just forget about John and Sarah and start working on the ancestors. You don't necessarily have to knock out John or Sarah to prevent them from beating you, all you have to do is create a Your Parents Never Met situation. I've never been very up on how far back they can send something, but go back the absolute furthest you can and smack around whatever part of the family tree you come across.

The results to the timeline would be more unpredictable, but if John Connor needs to die that badly, log what's killed the others, then send one to, at minimum, a point in time where nothing that's killed a previous Terminator has been invented yet.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    I still prefer the idea, even though it's technically unworkable, that we're looking at it backwards. Why would Skynet, if it became more advanced, send a T-800 to the past? The hint's in the opening narration for the first film: the T-800 is a last-ditch effort. Skynet can't afford a more useful soldier to be sent, as it has its hands full with Connor. But it also knows that a T-800 should be effective, and that Connor will never be more vulnerable. The T-800 is Skynet's final attempt to take out John Connor before the human resistance finally wins. The termination attempts are farther in the future the earlier Skynet sent them, because it had the resources then. It would also likely want to minimize damage to the timeline and so send them to closer points in the timestream where it would be easier to predict the results.

If I were Skynet, really, I'd just forget about John and Sarah and start working on the ancestors. You don't necessarily have to knock out John or Sarah to prevent them from beating you, all you have to do is create a Your Parents Never Met situation. I've never been very up on how far back they can send something, but go back the absolute furthest you can and smack around whatever part of the family tree you come across.

The results to the timeline would be more unpredictable, but if John Connor needs to die that badly, log what's killed the others, then send one to, at minimum, a point in time where nothing that's killed a previous Terminator has been invented yet.

man all you really gotta do is send one Arnie model back to about 700 AD - he could quickly become King of All the Britons

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    I think we can assume that the earliest point they sent the terminator to is either the earliest point possible or very close to it.

Then again TIME TRAVEL IN TERMINATOR MAKES NO SENSE STOP DOING THIS AAAAAAHHHHH

Tube on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Robot Jesus?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think we can assume that the earliest point they sent the terminator to is either the earliest point possible or very close to it.

Not at all - in actuality, you'd want to snip your damage to causality off as tightly as possible, it would be a tremendous gamble to do what I proposed - you, as skynet, would risk changing so drastically that your mindset wouldn't be relevent to your previous goals.

And if you want to talk stupid, I would think by now given all the advanced behavior and secondary learning it's displayed, skynet would have either figured out it didn't have to kill everyone or how to do it en masse with environmental damage or something. Even the matrix movies figured out "machines can exist where people can't - maybe machines can use this"

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Not at all - in actuality, you'd want to snip your damage to causality off as tightly as possible, it would be a tremendous gamble to do what I proposed - you, as skynet, would risk changing so drastically that your mindset wouldn't be relevent to your previous goals.

And if you want to talk stupid, I would think by now given all the advanced behavior and secondary learning it's displayed, skynet would have either figured out it didn't have to kill everyone or how to do it en masse with environmental damage or something. Even the matrix movies figured out "machines can exist where people can't - maybe machines can use this"

robots in the matrix were solar powered, it was US who scorched the sky in a failed attempt to cut them off from power. what happened instead is they adopted bio-fusion energy and needed to capture humans to put them in the matrix.

valiance on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Matrix's entire plot gets progressively more silly the longer you examine it.

As for Terminator time travel, it doesn't really make any sense either - but it's reasonable to assume Skynet wouldn't want to go mucking around too much 20, 30, or more years before it was built. The series makes sense because it is so close to becoming a reality that killing random civilians has a very low probability of effecting anything, however if you kill a bunch of random people in 1970 it could cause all kinds of unforseen consequences, let alone in like... 1910.

override367 on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey guys, remember this?
    REESE
    (recorded)
    Most official records were
    lost in the war. The computer
    knew almost nothing about
    Connor's mother. Her name.
    Where she lived, just the city.
    No scanner pictures. The
    Terminator was just being
    systematic.

So that's why they didn't go back in time to the 1970s or whatever.

And after the first trip, they probably figured that they would screw things over by altering the past prior to a previous mission, essentially invalidating the first mission.

I also like to think that time travel has "windows," specific points in time where you can appear, sort of like space shuttles have windows for when the planets line up. Of course, that kind of gets screwed up by the dialing system in TSCC, but the first three movies weren't written with TSCC in mind.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey guys, remember this?
    REESE
    (recorded)
    Most official records were
    lost in the war. The computer
    knew almost nothing about
    Connor's mother. Her name.
    Where she lived, just the city.
    No scanner pictures. The
    Terminator was just being
    systematic.

So that's why they didn't go back in time to the 1970s or whatever.

And after the first trip, they probably figured that they would screw things over by altering the past prior to a previous mission, essentially invalidating the first mission.

I also like to think that time travel has "windows," specific points in time where you can appear, sort of like space shuttles have windows for when the planets line up. Of course, that kind of gets screwed up by the dialing system in TSCC, but the first three movies weren't written with TSCC in mind.

Earth moves. If you teleport through time (but stay in the same location) to three weeks back, you'd be floating in space!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well, you'd think that turning the entire planet into an irradiated hellscape would work well enough. I mean, it already caused global thermonuclear war. What more are you expecting of it?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How much does skynet actually know about its previous attempts? I understand that T1 and T2 skynet were created from the terminator sent back in T1 (and previous time iterations) so perhaps it knew about the actions (was the chip destroyed? It's been a while since I saw T2, I remember there was something about an arm?), but in T2 all evidence of the terminators was destroyed. Shouldn't this mean that T3 and SCC skynet knows nothing (or at least, very little) about its prior attempts?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    TIME TRAVEL IN TERMINATOR DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

Tube on
  • Options
    LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Mark my words, this series will end with a groggy sarah conner waking up after falling down while slipping on water.

Only to shrug it off and serve someone some pie as the credits roll.

This entire show is an elaborate fantasy that Linda Hamilton is having from a padded cell at Pescadero Mental Hospital, having been recaptured by police that arrived at the smelting plant shortly after T2.

Lizard on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

see this is what i am saying

instead of trying to make sense of the time travel parts (which are dumb), i choose to look at the show from the stance of dramatic symbolism and whatnot.

John and Skynet being time paradox ying and yang trying to destroy each other, for example.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Pony wrote: »

see this is what i am saying

instead of trying to make sense of the time travel parts (which are dumb), i choose to look at the show from the stance of dramatic symbolism and whatnot.

John and Skynet being time paradox ying and yang trying to destroy each other, for example.

I just don't think I could live in a world where a 24 year old sci fi about time traveling robots dosn't make sense.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm still not clear on why they can't send laser weapons back in time. The laser is metal, Terminators are metal - have the time travelers wear metal underwear so they don't have to come back naked!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Again? Only organic material can pass through, thats why they are encased in flesh.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Again? Only organic material can pass through, thats why they are encased in flesh.

... so now I'm thinking about wrapping the laser guns with bacon or doing the star wars thing and shoving it in an animal's insides for transport.

Edit: I've never considered the space aspect of time travel though.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

... so now I'm thinking about wrapping the laser guns with bacon or doing the star wars thing and shoving it in an animal's insides for transport.

They actually have done that. It's a pretty slow way to move shit though, because the living shell does have to be alive.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I am now imagining an elephant materialising in the middle of a street, followed by the confused expressions of some innocent bystanders as it poops a nuke.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »
    I am now imagining an elephant materialising in the middle of a street, followed by the confused expressions of some innocent bystanders as it poops a nuke.

So THAT'S why Skynet kept all those animals!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    man

a confused looking sperm whale materializes a mile in the air alongside some petunias

only to disgorge Hunter Killers

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Gosling wrote: »

If I were Skynet I'd go back in time and kill all the cave men. Oh wai...

Remember, in T1 that Skynet didn't have a lot of info on Sarah so that's why it was just being systematic. Can't go back in time and kill too many people as that can ruin the future.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    man

a confused looking sperm whale materializes a mile in the air alongside some petunias

only to disgorge Hunter Killers

As long as the humans retain towel technology, skynet will never win.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Roundboy wrote:
    As long as the humans retain towel technology, skynet will never win.

I don't know why, but the idea of towel technology makes me think of monofilament edged melee towels.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Next week preview really goes with the topic at hand here.
    Terminators placed back in 1920?

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow.
    Cromartie is dead.
    Long live John Henry!

For some reason I'm getting a Fallout 3 flashback.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, Riley suddenly became a much more interesting character.

Jebu on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jebu wrote: »
    Well, Riley suddenly became a much more interesting character.

Something tells me she is going to die horribly...
    ...and push John into Cameron's ever-waiting arms.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Who was future chick talking about in the hotel room... Riley OR Cameron?

The show got awesome tonight actually.
    Why is it I always enjoy the sympathetic engineers/programmer characters even though I know they unwittingly create evil so they must die.

I missed the preview for next week, can someone summarize please?

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    useless4 wrote: »

Cameron.. i thought that was obvious ?
    I missed the preview for next week, can someone summarize please?

Steampunk Terminator

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »

Cameron.. i thought that was obvious ?

I believe it was, especially how she referred to her as a "hunk of metal".

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    man this show just keeps getting better and better, fucking AWESOME ending
    i'm so happy cromartie is back and looking as creepy as ever when he tries to display emotion

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I threw my arms in the air at the end of the episode.

True story.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

True story.

Touchdown?

Anyway.
    Riley being from the future actually makes perfect sense, and it's weird if John doesn't know something's up, because that chick? Borderline stalker from the very beginning.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm amazed at how good this show has gotten.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

True story.

Touchdown?

Anyway.
    Riley being from the future actually makes perfect sense, and it's weird if John doesn't know something's up, because that chick? Borderline stalker from the very beginning.

A 16 year old boy will put up with all kinds of bizarre behavior if he thinks it'll result in nookie.

Actually my last 3 girlfriends have been completely batshit insane... so... I'm not really one to judge

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.