As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggest me a printer

Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Recently my printer has broken down and I am in need of a new one.

I dont want to get something too expensive as it is only really used for assignments etc. Also, one where the ink doest end up costing me an arm and a leg.

Thanks guys :)

Hocky27 on

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you're just looking for basic document printing, and none of the other fluff, go with a low end Canon printer. I picked up a Canon Pixma 2000 at Target, on clearance, for around $50 last year. The black ink lasts a respectable amount of time and is only $5-6 per replacement for official Canon ink. You can get compatible off brand for less, of course. The color is about triple that, as is standard for ink.

I can't even find my model printer via Newegg or Amazon, but this model is pretty similar. Like I said, if you're only printing off word documents, something like this is going to last you a good while and I've had great luck with durability with Canon printers over the years.

If you're looking for nice photo printing or other features, you'll leave the $50 range pretty quick but you'll know where the money went.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Get a cheap color laser printer. I bought a KonicaMinolta 2340dl for $250 over a year ago, in that time I have only run out of toner once, and I got a massive cartridge that should last at least another year for $90. That beats the hell out of constantly buying new ink for inkjets.

supabeast on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    supabeast wrote: »
    Get a cheap color laser printer. I bought a KonicaMinolta 2340dl for $250 over a year ago, in that time I have only run out of toner once, and I got a massive cartridge that should last at least another year for $90. That beats the hell out of constantly buying new ink for inkjets.

I concur. Heavily.

Inkjets are a phenomenal rip-off. The manufacturers make all their profit on after-sale - eg. by charging a ridiculous premium for ink, which runs out ridiculously fast. Sell the printer at $20 and make a loss then charge $50 per cartridge that need replaced at least once a month. Lasers are much more economical - they don't look it because they tend to cost a fair bit more than an inkjet and the cartridges often run into hundreds of dollars per colour. However, the ink lasts so much longer that you soon save back any extra outlay. The high-end inkjets have a marginally better photographic reproduction quality which is all their good for (and have fun changing the ink cartridges every second photo you print) - a cheap one will be about as good as a low-end laser but only for about a month after which point the printer heads start clogging up and it becomes essentially useless. Consider as well that lasers will happily take cheap paper and print full colour onto it without it warping whereas inkjets really need a high-cost, coated paper if you are printing more than 15% ink saturation others the paper will buckle and the colours will bleed into each other.

If you want industry endorsement, consider that digital printers use laser printers for all high-quantity jobs. The quality is easily on a par with litho printing these days. They only use inkjets for extra-large, one off prints (because at sizes of over a meter in diameter, the laser tech would be a lot more expensive to build) and certain substrates (such as vinyl banners which you simply couldn't laser print onto).

The Epson AcuLaser C1100 is a good one as well. I bought it over a year ago and it has yet to finish any of the free cartridges that came with it. And the free ones were only half-size to begin with*. It's a hard sell, because like many other consumers, you'll look at the initial investment cost and baulk, but the prices have really come down in the past few years and when you start looking at the performance figures of lasers versus inkjets and converting the pages per cartridge ratings into dollars per sheet costing, lasers seriously outstrip inkjets for budget.

Depending on the contents of the assignments, you could maybe even get away with a black and white laser printer. They come in at a much lower starting price than colour lasers and their entire purpose of existence is printing reams of black text, so they are ridiculously efficient at it. It'd probably see you, your son and his grandson through college.

*At time of writing, the print monitor says I have about half a cartridge of black left, 4/5th of cyan and almost full magenta and yellow.

Szechuanosaurus on