As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UNIFIED (Second Preview Thread)

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fedora, I'd assume that the powerful telepath chick does a quick run through of all the minds on Earth to make sure everything is going as it should, i.e, no thoughts of rebellion, no law breakers, everyone is who they should be, etc.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fedora, I'd assume that the powerful telepath chick does a quick run through of all the minds on Earth to make sure everything is going as it should, i.e, no thoughts of rebellion, no law breakers, everyone is who they should be, etc.

She's kept on power reducing tranquilizers, she's not that powerful.

That's why Zones Beta through Epsilon exist.

Fedora on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    see, I thought it would be the other way around

like high ranking dudes could wear whatever, but the lower subordinates would wear a uniform

With the lower ranking agents, they simply flash the SIGMA badge (or wear it on their uniform) and people straighten up a bit.

Supremacy Agents, however, are all uniform like that because that's part of what makes them scary as hell.

They all look the same. Because of voice modulators in their helmets, they all sound the same. Psionic interference devices in their helmets mean their minds are undetectable to all but the most powerful telepaths.

They are drifting ghosts who stand outside the rules of the system, anonymous and without persona, the only identifying feature is that you know it's them.

Did you lock yourself in a dark room for six months and read nothing but comics when you were coming up with this?

Seriously, Pony, if this turns out successful, you could sell this and DMR

you would make a fortune

i have been reading comic books since i was 4 years old

while technically the first comics i ever read were x-men, the first comic book series i ever really got into was my uncle's old Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD comics. you know, the original Steranko ones.

i have played nearly every single tabletop superhero RPG ever. I pre-ordered Freedom Force as soon as I heard about it. I was in the closed beta for City of Heroes, and then later City of Villains.

I've written very serious and academic essays on comic books, superheroes, and matters pertaining to.

To say "I love superheroes" is to put things mildly.

Pony on
  • Options
    Jedi RenegadeJedi Renegade Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pony that is pretty awesome.

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fedora wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    My guy is not a mercenary. At all. He is a guy who lives in the sewers and abandoned subway tunnels and fights the SUN in any way he can. He's very, very big on the whole free will thing, and believes that what the SUN is doing, with its secret police and its lording of superhumans over normal humans as some sort of saviour race is morally reprehensible.

So he's hiding underground and sabotaging SUN, Vanguaed and SIGMA operations and stealing information. He is also crazy and hates the SUN for being partially responsible for the death of his father (creator). He's modified his body to the point that it barely resembles anything human anymore without a big, tattered brown trenchcoat and an old stetson hat and his bandages. He gave up what little humanity he had so that the rest of the world might regain it through his actions and the actions of others.

Hmm, well then I don't know where to place ya, Although it pretty much sounds like you're leaning Rebel at the moment.

Anyone need help with their character Sheets?

Yeah Fedora (a little late) but I'm having a little trouble fitting Asimov to the mold.

also, t Spectre: It sounds like our characters have largely the same motives, just mine is more oblivious to the gravity of the situation, since he's just been wandering for some time.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Pony, here's what you do.

You let us play this.

Then, you go to one of the companies (I think Marvel has a creator-owned imprint line, and of course Image is creator-owned), and you write this shit.

You get Fedora to draw it.

We send in stories about our characters and you put them in.

Then the Ask Whippy thread would be stuff like "When's Pony's new comic coming out? It is so good!"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Who wants to be Venger's super powered buddy?
    I'm going to need one in order to survive since I have no powers.

Zombot on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pony you are pretty much the best person ever

besides Jesus

Jesus was a cool dude

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jesus was fat

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    Okay, I'm trying to figure out out of these two, who would fit best in this setting:

the Visser (possibly the Librarian or the Plagiarist):
    holycrap.jpg

Fledgling illusionist who gains more power over his abilities the more he reads. His illusions are called from books and other things of that nature. Basically, if he wanted to create an illusion of a hideous monster of some sort, he'd read a Stephen King book, and if he wanted to create something to calm a kid down, he'd read Where the Wild Things Are or something. His stance on issues kind of varies on what he read last, as well as his personality. Would make him kind of a wild card, but I'm not sure how interesting a guy reading a book could be.

Geothermic
    sweet.jpg

When the invasion happened, Samuel "the Femur" Kingston was an aging martial artist who was content to pass on his knowledge to up-and-coming heroes. His superheroic career was well behind him, and he was enjoying his retirement. But as the invasion commenced, he was called into action once again. He and his family managed to protect their residence from incursion, but not with out cost: a rift opened, and Sam was sucked inside. Though his family searched for him for years, no sign of him was found.

Fifteen years passed, and Samuel returned a changed man. His time spent in the rift had added well over a hundred pounds of muscle to him, and turned him into a walking mass of magma. Now confined to a makeshift containment suit, Samuel finds himself in a world far different than the one he left. His children are grown, now involved in the rebellion. His wife passed away while he was trapped. And the world he once fought to protect is now something he cannot stand.

So, making contact with his children without revealing his identity, he joins the resistance and vows to bring things back to the way they were, by any means necessary.

wow, I typed a lot more than I planned

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Also, guys I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons and other RPGs for fifteen years. I'm actually a second-generation roleplaying gamer, my father and my uncle were the ones who taught me how to play it.

I've designed my own settings, hell on several occasions I've built entire RPG gaming systems from the ground up. Three times a week I run Dungeons & Dragons campaigns, with three different groups, one of which is set in a setting I made up entirely for that game.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on cartography programs just to produce campaign maps. I took the basic CAD skills I learned in Engineering class in high school and upgraded them independantly so I can put out high-grade schematics and architectural blueprints for modern and sci-fi games I've run.

I have literally hundreds of pages of stories, history, and other such "flavor text" related to the various games and settings I've run and created over the years.

This doesn't even touch on my comic writing aspirations, which constitute a personal obsession of mine.

Pony on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did I ever mention that my dude is working with SUN because he just wants to make the world a better place?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    What a fag

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    okay so I would like input on those before I spend some time on a character generator I don't fully understand yet

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    okay so I would like input on those before I spend some time on a character generator I don't fully understand yet

I like the illusionist's ability.

<3 on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    um so is there a post that explains the rules and character creation?

because I can't find it

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    geothermic looks really cool but what was the rift and where did it come from

Pony on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

because I can't find it

Nope.

Basically attributes are your powers, feats are what you can do with them.
    Fedora can help you.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    <3 wrote: »

I like the illusionist's ability.

I toyed with the idea of him having to sketch out his illusions, but I'm sure that's been done a few times before.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I like geothermic more, he's got a more compelling story.

Plus we've actually got a hero very similar to your illusion guy, except he makes attacks out of onomatopoeia's.

Fedora on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    geothermic looks really cool but what was the rift and where did it come from

See, I was hesitant to put an explanation for that in, because I don't know a whole lot about the setting. In City of Heroes, he got sucked through a Circle of Thorns portal on a training mission (which explained why he wasn't on the right server), but I was going to go a little more setting specific here.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    so basically

I can make whatever the fuck I want and not worry about rules or anything?

that's the vibe I'm getting

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

because I can't find it

there really isn't

fedora is a smart cookie and has managed to basically pull the character creation system out of the previews i've provided sporadically

but he's gotten some things wrong and a lot of people have stuff that's not right about the character sheets they've posted, but i've avoided correcting all of them because we aren't even at the chargen stage of things

this thread and the one before it was supposed to be full of hype and tiny revelations

people are just far smarter and more anxious than i gave them credit for

Pony on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

because I can't find it
    Pony's quoted basic description of skills
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=1728905#post1728905

Let me look for more.

EDIT:
    Some FAQs answered by Fedora:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=1729227#post1729227

<3 on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ugh, Hero machine is terrible, and I hate that I have no artistic talents, but I tried. Is this anywhere near what you were thinking Pony?
    supremacyagentiw6.png

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like the first one. What are his allegiances?

Edit: This is to Geebs.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

because I can't find it

There isn't one, there's just scraps of what i've pieced together, you got a character in mind? A biography and abilites list? Once you have those, i'll help you from there to create a character sheet.

Fedora on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    does CoH have big system requirements

because I kind of want it

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fedora wrote: »

I like geothermic more, he's got a more compelling story.

Plus we've actually got a hero very similar to your illusion guy, except he makes attacks out of onomatopoeia's.

I put the illusion guy in more because I really like that screenshot, but yeah, I kind of like the possibilities of Geothermic a lot more, although the illusionist guy would be kind of fun to dick around with.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ugh, Hero machine is terrible, and I hate that I have no artistic talents, but I tried. Is this anywhere near what you were thinking Pony?
    supremacyagentiw6.png

yeah, that's kinda how it goes, although they wear a cassock, not a robe, but yeah more or less.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ok cool

I'm gonna spend some time coming up with stuff

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    also Kayne that looks pretty badass

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Quetzi wrote: »
    I like the first one. What are his allegiances?

Edit: This is to Geebs.

With the way his powers work, I kind of saw him as kind of switching allegiances basically at the turn of a page. Which would make him really untrustworthy, but kind of easy to manipulate.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    does CoH have big system requirements

because I kind of want it

CoV has higher requirements than CoH, which aren't too bad. It is a 3 year old game now.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anybody played STALKER?

You know those awesome armored suits you get with the mirrored visor?

That's what I see the SIGMA suit to be like. Only reflective black, with a very small red sigma on the faceplace.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    guys did you know you can download the city of heroes character creator for free?

yeah, i'm not going to tell you how though

because it's against Cryptic's rules

but basically for the Korean release of the game they offered a free download of the character appearance generator.

you can find it and download it somewhere

it's in korean, though, but there are also instructions on how to fix that. simply involves going into regedit and changing a value, because it also contains the english text.

Pony on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So is this game going to be played just in ODaM or is it going to use some chat/IM programs as well?

Zombot on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

but he's gotten some things wrong

Oh man, what'd I get wrong? I must know.

Fedora on
This discussion has been closed.