As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcams, Security, and Me.

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I had a break-in a few months ago. Now my friend's car was tagged.

I wish to get a webcam setup. I have the software I need to record stuff when there's motion, but I don't have the hardware. It's a long-ish outdoor run out to where the camera needs to be from my main computer. I don't really want to put together a machine that can run outdoors. What's the best way to get a camera out there that I can hook up to my computer?

Doc on

• Options
    racyrefinedrajracyrefinedraj Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    well, there's a few different out of the box solutions, this one seems to have a good reputation, but it's hella spendy. 411 on Newegg

A bit more searching suggests that cheaper models also exist.

Really I can't think of a way to do it without either a cable run or a nearby pc. How close is it to the nearest point indoors?

racyrefinedraj on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    50 feet or so. I can do a cable run, but it's too far for USB.

Doc on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Doc, have these people who broke into your place seen what kind of person they're dealing with? I know based on last year at PAX that if I was breaking into your place, and saw a picture of you on the shelf, I'd get the hell out of there. :P

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    "be almost worth them doing it if I could just CATCH them doing it."

edit: Advicewise, wireless?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm not really interested in spending hundreds of dollars on a solution. Let's say a $100 max. Anything above that and it's hardly worth it, since I have good insurance.

Doc on
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You could look for IP Cameras, but I don't know if you will find one in your price class (basically cameras connected over ethernet)

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    well, there's a few different out of the box solutions, this one seems to have a good reputation, but it's hella spendy. 411 on Newegg

A bit more searching suggests that cheaper models also exist.

Really I can't think of a way to do it without either a cable run or a nearby pc. How close is it to the nearest point indoors?

2.4 wireless analog is a bad idea unless it's point to point. The omnidirectional models are prone to problems from wi-fi, microwaves, and phones. The DSC-950, and the DSC-900 will probley be cheaper.

Some newbie mistakes:

1. Mounting the camera inside via a window. You'll get a poor image + glare and you'll have an expensive paperweight.
    2. Not mounting with an outdoor housing. Rain kills cameras.
    3. Wanting wireless and not thinking about where you're going to power the cameras.
    4. Wanting audio. Most states use the federal guidelines for audio. One party has to consent to the conversation. This means one of the people in the conversation needs to be aware they are being recorded. This does not mean that the homeowner counts if they are listening to it after the fact.
    5. Being cheap on the wiring side. If you go analog (and it will probley be cheaper if your deploying multiple cameras) don't go with cheap wiring. You want 95% Braiding COPPER (not aluminum, it's for cable) shielding.
    6. Using PTZ (Pan-Tilt-Zoom) cameras. For what they cost you can use a number of fixed cameras for the same field of view. PTZ's are for active monitoring systems (You're using security guards.)
    7. Being cheap. You get what you pay for in the security industry. Buy a cheap capture card/software and you get what you paid for.
    8. Don't use E-bay. The gear there is cheap knockoff stuff that may or may not work.
    9. Plan where you're going to place cameras. Don't just throw them up. Plan what you want to see. Work backwards from there.
    10. Webcams have shit resolution. They are not the same things as IP based security cameras.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you wanting the camera as a deterrence or something to actually capture thieves with?

Because you're gonna face a few problems;

* Deterrence, you place the camera is easy view.. you actually want to make it stand out. However, this will guarantee it will be made a target for youths to throw stones at.
    * Resolution, most cameras are shitty low res/quality. If you want something to capture them with (to take pictures of their faces and relatively low profile/hard to spot camera) then expect to pay through the nose.

As to usb cameras, if you're doing this on the cheap as I expect you are then possibly putting a powered usb hub connected pc->usb hub->camera with long usb cables might get around your maximum length problem.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Are you wanting the camera as a deterrence or something to actually capture thieves with?

Because you're gonna face a few problems;

* Deterrence, you place the camera is easy view.. you actually want to make it stand out. However, this will guarantee it will be made a target for youths to throw stones at.
    * Resolution, most cameras are shitty low res/quality. If you want something to capture them with (to take pictures of their faces and relatively low profile/hard to spot camera) then expect to pay through the nose.

As to usb cameras, if you're doing this on the cheap as I expect you are then possibly putting a powered usb hub connected pc->usb hub->camera with long usb cables might get around your maximum length problem.

They won't be a deterrence at all. Ever. Using cameras to prevent thief is waste of money. The only way for cameras to deter crime at all is the drop in crime you see from repeat offenders being in jail. People aren't afraid of the cameras and have the time they don't even understand what the field of view is. I apologize if the tone is harsher in this post then normal for H/A. But the idea that cameras are a deterrant is a dangerous and bad idea.

I work in the security industry as a sales engineer for a company that makes DVRs. You can look at all of the crime statistics and they don't show the cameras as a deterrant. They will help you catch the guy who breaks into your place. They can help you recover your stuff. They will not prevent the crime from happening.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You know what else wasn't a deterrent? The security system that was installed in my house, and clearly advertised on the window they broke to get in. They were in, grabbed all my consoles, games, and controllers, and were out probably within 2 minutes.

It sucks, but there is very little you can do to deter someone from breaking in if they are willing to throw a rock through a window. They don't pay attention to anything except for the shit they know they want. In this case, they knew I had console games because they stole a package containing a wii controller from my front porch a few weeks before. Things they didn't steal from me:

1. Any one of 3 firearms. I had trigger/bolt locks on all of them, but they weren't in a safe or anything.
    2. My brand new hand-held camcorder that was sitting right next to the game systems.
    3. Any of my computer stuff, which was way more expensive than the consoles.
    4. The console cables
    5. My DVDs
    6. My giant case of CDs that was also sitting right next to the consoles, with a convinient carrying handle.

The officer that came over said this was pretty common among break-ins. People know what they are after, and due to adrenaline or whatever, ONLY see the stuff they are after. They don't see cameras, they don't see security systems.

I am more interested in looking down the alley behind my house, since I have a good idea of who is responsible for the spray painting. If I can see where they come from, that will help a lot. The alley is lit, too.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    You know what else wasn't a deterrent? The security system that was installed in my house, and clearly advertised on the window they broke to get in. They were in, grabbed all my consoles, games, and controllers, and were out probably within 2 minutes.

It sucks, but there is very little you can do to deter someone from breaking in if they are willing to throw a rock through a window. They don't pay attention to anything except for the shit they know they want. In this case, they knew I had console games because they stole a package containing a wii controller from my front porch a few weeks before. Things they didn't steal from me:

1. Any one of 3 firearms. I had trigger/bolt locks on all of them, but they weren't in a safe or anything.
    2. My brand new hand-held camcorder that was sitting right next to the game systems.
    3. Any of my computer stuff, which was way more expensive than the consoles.
    4. The console cables
    5. My DVDs
    6. My giant case of CDs that was also sitting right next to the consoles, with a convinient carrying handle.

The officer that came over said this was pretty common among break-ins. People know what they are after, and due to adrenaline or whatever, ONLY see the stuff they are after. They don't see cameras, they don't see security systems.

I am more interested in looking down the alley behind my house, since I have a good idea of who is responsible for the spray painting. If I can see where they come from, that will help a lot. The alley is lit, too.

The lighting can work for and against you. If the lighting is behind the person coming in, you won't see anything with most cameras. The light behind them puts them in to the shade. There are solutions, but frankly they are way outside your budget. The cheap solution is to use an IR camera and hope they come at night.

This may sound counter intutive but are they spray painting in the alley? If they are, can you get rid of the light?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's a city-maintained street lamp. The tagging occurred when the car was parked in the alley, under the light.
    It sounds like there's not a lot we can do, aside from posting signs that say "if you tag my stuff, I'll shoot you in the goddamn face," which would be of questionable legality. The paint cleaned off my friend's car pretty well, thankfully.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's a city-maintained street lamp. The tagging occurred when the car was parked in the alley, under the light.
    It sounds like there's not a lot we can do, aside from posting signs that say "if you tag my stuff, I'll shoot you in the goddamn face," which would be of questionable legality. The paint cleaned off my friend's car pretty well, thankfully.

With the budget you set....not really. Sorry.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

That is a big problem right there. Advertising what security system you have is a big no-no. It makes it easy for thieves to just find the schematics and figure out how to disable it. I highly suggest you remove it.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That is a big problem right there. Advertising what security system you have is a big no-no. It makes it easy for thieves to just find the schematics and figure out how to disable it. I highly suggest you remove it.

Uh, I'm not worried about Ocean's 11 here.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Stop watching movies. A sign saying "Protected by ADT" doesn't tell me what system is in use. Even if I had a sign telling what system is in use it doesn't tell me what contacts are in use, how are they deployed, or where the panel is. Nor does it tell me if the system has a cell back up. And I don't know what you mean by "Schematics". Operating manuals are availble on the web. But alarm panels don't have a "Press X to turn off the whole system" option. And if they did, you'd still have to get inside. Or do you mean a diagram that shows where all of your door contacts are? Cause the only one of those, if one exists would be with the installer who did the install.

Anything you see in the movies about security systems is crap. Anything you see on TV about security is also crap. Attempts to even disable the systems are much, much more rare then smash and grabs. Watching Ocean's 11 will not make you into a good thief.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    "be almost worth them doing it if I could just CATCH them doing it."

edit: Advicewise, wireless?

Johnny has a good point Doc, and in my professional (security) opinion, i'd try it. You can get a wireless webcam for around 100-130.

There are only two issues to consider

1) While previously mentioned, lighting could be an issue. A 30 dollar motion activated light could help with any lighting issues where your friends car is - test the camera and see what it's like, and if an accurate light source is needed. It's easily fixable with a trip to home depot and an extension cord.

2) If you're pointing your camera outside, you can run out of hard drive space fast. Motion activated cameras have various senstivity's built in - trash blowing by could set the thing off and cause it to record. For some of the camera's I use, I can eat a good 30 gigs in DVR space a day on one camera (I use 14). Granted, my camera's are the expensive industrial ones, YMMV here on space requirments. Just be aware s'all i'm sayin'.

tl;dr version: Get a wireless webcam, make sure your light source is good, plenty of HD space for recording. It should work well, good luck.

Thomamelas wrote: »
    Stop watching movies. A sign saying "Protected by ADT" doesn't tell me what system is in use. Even if I had a sign telling what system is in use it doesn't tell me what contacts are in use, how are they deployed, or where the panel is.

Well, it's a good thing I do security for a living - that way I can take a shit on the worst advice in this thread. The ADT sign trick is an old one, but for a serious professional burglar, it can pose as a partial deterent. Most won't hassle with it, simply because in a crowded area, there are easier pickings and you increase your risk - remember the goal is to get rich and stay out of jail with minimal risk.

What it won't stop are smash and grabbers (what Doc was a victim of), or coked out junkies needing some quick loot for their next fix. That's why you use a concept called security in depth. You start with a well lit perimeter of the house, then you have lockpick proof locks and modern secure windows, then you have a modern alarm system, then you have a video recording system, then you have insurance - whatever your M.O. is.

Also - Doc - if you can afford it, get a safe. If crime is a problem, you need one. Do not get a cheap 30 dollar safe from walmart. You need a heavy, 1 or 2 drawer safe you can bolt to the floor. Keep your most precious possesions in it, Christ, it sounds like you live in a de-militarized zone and need one. I know, money is an issue. Think of it as an investment. Statisticaly speaking, you run a much higher chance of being victimized again by a burglary since you've already been a target. I would also consider motion lighting in any dark areas - alley or porch.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »

Stop watching movies. A sign saying "Protected by ADT" doesn't tell me what system is in use. Even if I had a sign telling what system is in use it doesn't tell me what contacts are in use, how are they deployed, or where the panel is.

Well, it's a good thing I do security for a living - that way I can take a shit on the worst advice in this thread. The ADT sign trick is an old one, but for a serious professional burglar, it can pose as a partial deterent. Most won't hassle with it, simply because in a crowded area, there are easier pickings and you increase your risk - remember the goal is to get rich and stay out of jail with minimal risk.

What it won't stop are smash and grabbers (what Doc was a victim of), or coked out junkies needing some quick loot for their next fix. That's why you use a concept called security in depth. You start with a well lit perimeter of the house, then you have lockpick proof locks and modern secure windows, then you have a modern alarm system, then you have a video recording system, then you have insurance - whatever your M.O. is.

Also - Doc - if you can afford it, get a safe. If crime is a problem, you need one. Do not get a cheap 30 dollar safe from walmart. You need a heavy, 1 or 2 drawer safe you can bolt to the floor. Keep your most precious possesions in it, Christ, it sounds like you live in a de-militarized zone and need one. I know, money is an issue. Think of it as an investment. Statisticaly speaking, you run a much higher chance of being victimized again by a burglary since you've already been a target. I would also consider motion lighting in any dark areas - alley or porch.

You didn't actually read my post did you? You saw the ADT sign line and assumed I was recommending that he post one. What I said was that a sign being there doesn't tell a burgler anything. The poster before me seemed to think that the posting of a sign would announce what kind of system, along with it's layout to the world. That's something that only happens with movies. So how about an apology for the worst advice comment?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »

You didn't actually read my post did you? You saw the ADT sign line and assumed I was recommending that he post one. What I said was that a sign being there doesn't tell a burgler anything. The poster before me seemed to think that the posting of a sign would announce what kind of system, along with it's layout to the world. That's something that only happens with movies. So how about an apology for the worst advice comment?

I guess I did misread that - I had interepted it as advice disuading from the actual sticker being present versus no sticker at all. Apologies then.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've already got a safe. That's good advice for most people, regardless of where you live, just for the fireproofing (kind of) that it offers your important documents.

As for the problems I have with crime:

The funny/scary thing for these guys is what's happening around the time this stuff occurs. They broke into my house while I was out at the shooting range (with a Kimber 1911, for those that are curious). They spray-painted the car and made my friend and I miss a gun show while we waited 5 hours for the cops to show up. I'm hardly a gun nut or whatever, it's just a weird coincidence.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've already got a safe. That's good advice for most people, regardless of where you live, just for the fireproofing (kind of) that it offers your important documents.

Not to poke or anything, but many safe's are not fireproof - no matter how thick and big it is. I've got classified safes that would take 10 man hours to crack - but if a fire breaks out, anything inside of it's pretty much toast (no pun intended). The trick I learned is to get a smaller safe (like the fireproof ones at walmart), and put those inside the bigger more secure safe. Kinda ridiculous, but it'll keep your documents from combusting. I store my back up tapes like this, works like a champ.

Edit: If ya do the wireless webcam thing, give us an update. I'm curious as to how well it works for you, and if you can catch those bastards.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, it's just a small one that bolts to the floor and is fireproof to some degree.

Doc on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I will trust the advice of the security system worker, but I did not get the idea from ocean's eleven, I read it in some magazine about security advice because I was bored.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The ordinary run of the mill burglar doesn't think like that. But doc, it sounds like maybe you're lucky - the same person or persons may be watching your house. Maybe you can figure out who they are and bone them.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The ordinary run of the mill burglar doesn't think like that. But doc, it sounds like maybe you're lucky - the same person or persons may be watching your house. Maybe you can figure out who they are and bone them.

That's what I'm thinking.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'll help you bone them if you don't live to far. We'll catch the little bastards, take away their ICP albums, tie them to chairs and put "commanche" on the stereo.

Then we'll improvise, but what I'm thinking involves a snorkel, 5 pounds of ground meat, a small incision in the abdominal wall, and an aquarium pump. . .

JohnnyCache on