As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CD Drive Won't Open

TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
The CD-ROM drive on my rent's PC is having trouble opening. If you press the button a shitload of times, it'll sometimes open eventually (and the eject command from the drive's right click menu does the same thing). There doesn't seem to be any trick to it. They want me to fix it for them and I have no idea what the problem is. I'm telling them to just buy a new drive, since they can easily afford one, but they're insisting someone fix the one they have.
It's a Dell PC from 2001 (yeah, I couldn't convince them to let me build them a rig).
Is there anything that could be causing a problem like this?

TubularLuggage on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sounds like problems with the motor to me, shouldn't be to expensive to get a new drive these days. Although it might be something else. Maybe try updating the drivers?

LewieP on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    CD-ROMs wear out. Just pop in a new one, they cost like 20 dollars.

Azio on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    CD-ROMs wear out. Just pop in a new one, they cost like 20 dollars.
    Yeah, that's what I've been telling them.

Thanks for the help guys.
    I'll check the drivers, and if that doesn't work, I'll probably just buy them a new drive myself and claim I fixed the old one to shut them up.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    buying a new one and replacing when there not looking and saying you fixed it seems to be the best answer to me. Good luck finding one that looks exactly like that one though. Is it me or is this the sitcom situation where the kids pet dies while on vacation and the neighbor tries to find a cat/dog that looks just like it for when they return? I think the funny part here is that its probably harder to find a 6 year old matching drive then a calico cat.

*sees parents come home to find theres a calico stuffed in their 5 1/2" bay. son goes "Damn so close to fooling them!"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Say you scratched it horribly fixing it, and you had to perform emergency reconstructive plastic surgery. Throw in enough computer terminology like "megabytes" and "teraflops" and I'm sure they'll believe you.

That or you could just say "Hey it was like $20. Better than me wasting hours trying to fix it by asking people on internet forums, don't you think?" ;)

devoir on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You could say that once you took it out and inspected it, you found that the broken part was a key part that is physically attached to something else, and it's something that's not sold separately from a new drive.

capable heart on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You all likely know this, but...
    Most, if not all, CD Drives have a small pinhole on the front. By taking something like a paper clip and pressing gently into said pinhole, you can pop open any stubborn drive.

Considering they want to fix the current drive and not replace it, just hand them a paper clip. Works just as well as hitting the button.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    Most, if not all, CD Drives have a small pinhole on the front. By taking something like a paper clip and pressing gently into said pinhole, you can pop open any stubborn drive.

Considering they want to fix the current drive and not replace it, just hand them a paper clip. Works just as well as hitting the button.

That button is strictly for emergencies and usually breaks after three or four uses.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

That button is strictly for emergencies and usually breaks after three or four uses.

Seriously? I used it religiously on a drive I had. Hundreds of times, I couldn't even begin to wager a guess. No problems. I must be a lucky cat.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Seriously? I used it religiously on a drive I had. Hundreds of times, I couldn't even begin to wager a guess. No problems. I must be a lucky cat.

On some drives it may work forever, but it's only "required" to work a few times, and most retail drives will have fine print to this effect in the manual.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    strangely enough I have had drives without pinholes, as I have gone to get disks back (in an emergency no less) and only to find there was no pinhole. we had to cut into the drive. Good times and metal cuts for all

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    One other possibility to check is that the power cord from the PSU to the drive isn't loose or a bent pin or something. It might explain the randomness of when it works, and it's a quick fix.

Otherwise, I'm on board with everyone else. Just buy a new one, and either lie about breaking the old one, or just don't tell them.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It must have been those dastardly games that broke the computer.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png