As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Badminton: Becoming Better

devoirdevoir Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
TLDR version: I've gone back to badminton. I have too many bad habits and no 'game', but decent fitness. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Disclaimer: I'm probably the only azn on the face of the planet who doesn't whoop ass at Badminton.

I used to play as a kid, never seriously and never got coached or played with really good people who helped more than the odd throwaway line.

I've gotten back into it, twice a week. Once for a general hit, once for a low level tournament.

I'm not in it to win, but I'm positively foul at the moment. I'm pretty fit, I'm going to the gym for cardio and light weight workouts. My techniques blow. I know the basics of serving and returning, and can do that fine when just having a social hit, but I can tell I have virtually no 'game' when I play against other people of even moderate ability.

I haven't gotten noticably better over the last two months or so, even though I've been trying to break some of the old bad habits I have and working on my serve. My power hit/smash is totally retarded because I always hit too low. I used to play tennis as a little kid, and the racquet I had was too heavy, so I couldn't fully extend my arm up. This has lead to me essentially hitting everything at shoulder height, with my elbow fully bent, rather than at full extension which allows the speed, power and most importantly direction to the shuttlecock.

I cannot find anyone who will coach me, and I'm about ready to quit because I don't want to stagnate at this pathetic level for an entire pennant. Websites I can visit for techniques, or hell even techniques themselves that I can do when I'm not on the court would help. Anything, because I love the feel of the game, I just can't play and I'm not getting better.

devoir on

• Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    im in a simaler situation. apart from i was getting lardy, so i took it up again.

planning your shots and acursey is a thing that comes back wiith time.

i found that lerning to hit with your wrist is key. and allows you to hit shots faster than with your whole body. extramly importanly it allows you to dummy shots.

smasking. i have found the places i on court i can jump and hit from and the places i cant. i jump when im close to the net.

im crap at short seves to im gonna start practice in them more. as they give you the advantage. if you are hitting a shot down to your opponet he has less time to react and hast to hit it up back to you. giving you time and the hight advantage back.

most usful tip. tho is to make your aponent run. if you get this right . it basicly makes them do a bleep test back and fort and there is only so long someone can do that for.

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I played for badminton for a few years in high school, so my tips are based on the coaching we received then.

You might want to try working on your footwork off the court. Essentially practice the lunging to each corner of the court very quickly. This will wear you out if you do it right, but will improve your game so that people can't run you as much and you'll have more time to work on your returns.

Using your wrists is key, even when smashing. I would suggest you work on extending your arm with the racket in it off the court. Just let your arm get used to the idea of extending. You can also practice this on the court if you want, but I would definitly suggest trying it off first.

Good luck.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks a lot. =)

I've got the short, backhand serve going. Although I need practice, I think I 'know' the technicals of what needs to be done. I'll see about training the lunging. I'm specifically trying to stop jumping so much, because I need to use my full arm extension rather than keep myself in the air where I have less options.

Anyone else?

devoir on