As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Faulty Internet?

ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
For some reason, ever since I moved home from college, the internet connection in my room has been on the fritz. For some reason, it seems limitedly connected and Vista always comes up with a pop-up for trying to redial the connection to the internet or something when I'm online at that very moment. Sometimes it'll freeze up and won't load any websites or anything, then that popup will come up, I'll tell it to stop redialing or whatever and then it'll be fine again. It's getting rather annoying.

I have the ethernet cord running directly from the cable modem to my laptop, so it's not being interfered with by a router though I would like to get it on one soon, having my 360 in my room.

So yeah.. suggestions?

tldr; internet's being stupid on my Vista Business laptop. How do I fix it.

X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
ins0mniac on

• Options
    MegalodonMegalodon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ugh, Vista. I don't know if that's what's causing your problems, but my lack of experience with the newest windows OS makes it frustrating when I try to help people out =P

You'd think, after reading this, that networking with Vista is easier than breathing. If you know how, I'd try eliminating your network/connection and reconfiguring everything. This is pretty poor advice but it's the best I can think of for now. Judging from that link I sent you Vista is pretty automated for a lot of functions, which could be the source of your problem--something is telling Vista that you need to reconnect repeatedly, and a reconfiguration might give you a shot at resolving that without even diagnosing the problem.

Is there any pattern to these popups you're getting? And what do you mean by your connection being "limited"? Is it just slow?

Megalodon on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never used Vista, but any time I've ever gotten a 'limited connection' message its always been because i had the wrong TCP/IP setting relating to my IP address. Specifically either i had DHCP on when I shouldn't have, I had entered the wrong IP address manually, or I had entered my IP manually when I should have been letting DHCP take care of it.

Cauld on