As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAMPS!

BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok I bought some stamps a month or so ago and I know that the price was just raised also.

But the stamps I bought dont have a number on them, They just say first class. So I was wondering if the post office would know if I just sent them as is. I cant really take the chance on having it bounce back though since its my rent that needs sending out.

Bedlam on

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Are those the 'never change value' stamps I've heard about? Probably best to just call up a local post office and ask.

bombardier on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If it's an absolute must go out now and can't ask a postal worker, then just throw 2 stamps on there. Sure, you'll be wasting 37 cents, but you know for sure it will get there.

However, if you have time, you might want to ask a postal worker. Those sound like the 'good forever' stamps bombardier was talking about, and you likely only need one.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    misbehavin wrote: »
    If it's an absolute must go out now and can't ask a postal worker, then just throw 2 stamps on there. Sure, you'll be wasting 37 cents, but you know for sure it will get there.

However, if you have time, you might want to ask a postal worker. Those sound like the 'good forever' stamps bombardier was talking about, and you likely only need one.

I believe it's .41 now, just raised yesterday or something. You could buy some .04 stamps (or if they don't have .04s, two .02s), instead of two .37s.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the post office is calling them "forever" stamps.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, I know it's off-topic, but don't buy the forever stamps.

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Why not?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    New Forever Stamps:
    200x200_676640.jpg

$.41 Stamps:
    100x100_102740.jpg

Freaky other $.41:
    200x200_461040-1.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why not?

Stamp prices are tied to inflation. As long as your money is somewhere that's beating inflation, it's not worth it.

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just because they say "First Class" and have no listed price does not, I believe, make them the "forever" stamps. I seem to remember getting a sheet of "First Class" stamps many years ago, and I'm nearly positive they were linked to the then-current first-class price. I believe they had a letter or some such on them to denote the price when they were bought, and that additional postage would be necessary when prices rose.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    misbehavin wrote: »

I believe it's .41 now, just raised yesterday or something. You could buy some .04 stamps (or if they don't have .04s, two .02s), instead of two .37s.

No, you're confused about what I meant... The last round was .39, so by using 2 .39 stamps to achieve the current of .41, only .02 of the second stamp will actually go toward helping send the letter, and the remaining .37 will just go toward nothing, hence wasted.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They are old stamps and think about it -- who, of all people, is going to recognize a stamp? Maybe postal workers?

For a while now, the post office has been omitting the price on their first class stamps. I agree that it's stupid, since they raise prices every once in a while, but they know which stamps are worth how much.

Also, the forever stamps are not "dumb," they're just not "investments." How many people have old 1st class stamps lying around that they never use because they don't want to get some 2¢ and 1¢ stamps? The smartest thing to do is to buy a sheet now but not be afraid to use them. If you need to send a letter first class in the future and only have old stamps, you don't need to worry about a trip to the post office or spending twice as much on a letter.

After all, the smart thing to do is to buy ONLY forever stamps, and then just use them as you would regular stamps. They cost the same, so wouldn't that make them inherently more valuable than normal stamps, which DO depreciate?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Probably the smartest thing to do would be to only buy as many stamps as you need at any given time.

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Why not?

Stamp prices are tied to inflation. As long as your money is somewhere that's beating inflation, it's not worth it.

I think what you mean to say is "don't buy a shitload of forever stamps expecting to save money over the long run".

I bought some forever stamps a month before the rate increase so I wouldn't have to mess with a bunch of 2 cent stamps. It was worth the convenience to me.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Probably the smartest thing to do would be to only buy as many stamps as you need at any given time.

Always ideal, but some of us live near a post office that doesn't have a stamp machine and the lines always take 15 minutes while the one cashier explains overseas shipping forms to a customer with 4 boxes.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »

Always ideal, but some of us live near a post office that doesn't have a stamp machine and the lines always take 15 minutes while the one cashier explains overseas shipping forms to a customer with 4 boxes.

Do places like grocery stores and general retailers not carry stamps where you live? All the local grocery stores here do, as well as places like Wal-Mart and Costco.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think Bomby was referring to the Canadian "Forever" stamps, I don't know if they have them in the US. In Canada, all stamps list their value or they are Forever stamps.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If your "first class" stamps are from before the price change (my old sheet has a flag on it) then they're still worth 39 cents. If you want your rent to not get bounced back either buy a 2 cent stamp or throw two of your old stamps on it.

"First Class" in this case really means "first class at time of purchase."

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Do places like grocery stores and general retailers not carry stamps where you live? All the local grocery stores here do, as well as places like Wal-Mart and Costco.

I don't know about everybody else's but the King Sooper (Kroger) where I shop carries regular stamps, but not 1 or 2 cent stamps. Pretty inconvenient considering the price just changed and I've got a half-sheet of stamps that need 2 cent stamps to be worth anything.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    I think Bomby was referring to the Canadian "Forever" stamps, I don't know if they have them in the US. In Canada, all stamps list their value or they are Forever stamps.

The US has Forever stamps.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And I think they're called Permanent or Floating stamps in Canada. The nice thing is that where they should have the number value they have a little "P" on a maple leaf. It makes it easier to know if you've got one of the special stamps or just some random fancy stamp without the value on it.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

No, they don't. If you want stamps, you go to the post office here. Just like if you want to use a bank, you go to the bank, not the grocery store (I know that the midwest does most of their banking at the grocery store).

I would love if there was a stamp machine in the grocery store. Alas. So I stock up on stamps beforehand, and end up having to buy 2¢ ones when the rates go up. Not very many, but I also don't use stamps that often. Maybe twice a month, three times at most.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

No, they don't. If you want stamps, you go to the post office here. Just like if you want to use a bank, you go to the bank, not the grocery store (I know that the midwest does most of their banking at the grocery store).

I would love if there was a stamp machine in the grocery store. Alas. So I stock up on stamps beforehand, and end up having to buy 2¢ ones when the rates go up. Not very many, but I also don't use stamps that often. Maybe twice a month, three times at most.

They may not have them displayed. At my grocery store if I want stamps I just have to ask the cashier to get me a book. Except that they don't have 2 cent stamps so I'm stopping at the post office on my way home from work today.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    If your "first class" stamps are from before the price change (my old sheet has a flag on it) then they're still worth 39 cents. If you want your rent to not get bounced back either buy a 2 cent stamp or throw two of your old stamps on it.

"First Class" in this case really means "first class at time of purchase."
    Yeah I have the flag too. I borrowed a newer stamp from my grandma just to make sure but I guess I will have to talk to a postal worker to see if I need to get those 2 cent stamps (which is very likely)

ITs really dumb that they dont print the price anymore though. Seems to me that would be the easiest way to tell but oh well.

Bedlam on