As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Road Trip : Usa

Big MutantBig Mutant Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm a 32 year old man from Montreal, looking to go on a 4 to 6 weeks road trip covering the four corners of the States. I'm a nature lover, am not above visiting a museum or two, and also interested in the historical side of life.

I'll probably hit and run most of the cities I come across, since it's seeing as much of the country as possible that I'm looking forward to.

Roughly, what I'm looking at right now is leaving Montreal in early September, go through the Adirondacks, to Philly to see a bit of the city and eat a cheesesteak, Gettysburg, Washington D.C.

From there, the Blue Ridge Parkway (debating whether it's worth cutting across to see Norfolk, and going down the coast to Savannah, or saving a bit of time, finishing the Parkway, and then Savannah), down the coast to the Keys, see some everglades, and back the other way to see New Orleans.

I'm now looking across the southwest, where I don't know as much about the land. I obviously want to see the Grand Canyon and Vegas, but what's the best way to get there? There's a stretch of highway 170 between Presidio and Lajitas near the Mexican border in Texas that's apparently worth it...

Then, California (is L.A. worth a few days?), up the other coast to Seattle, the Rockies. I've seen the Canadian side, and fell in love with it. Since I want to go to Chicago after, what's the best way of seeing them? Definitely Yellowstone, but then? Going as far down as Colorado?

Afterwards, maybe Detroit, seeing the Great Lakes, and back to Montreal.

I'm minding myself that I'll be doing all this alone, but I'm hoping that at least one of my friends can tag along. Given this, I'll try and limit the 8-10 hours consecutive days of driving.

Having said all this, what is your advice? Things to know, to look for? Others to avoid, or be weary of? Any and all information is welcomed.

Thank you in advance!

Big Mutant on

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    H/A would be better

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ignore Boston. All you'll get is boring buildings and annoying college kids.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Ok, this should be in Help and Advice, but kindly shut the fuck up. Boston offers a lot of stuff to do in the daytime, and the college kids will be gone. Did you even read his post?

Coming from someone living in NYC, the most fun city in the world, Boston's fun times.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Podly: H/A?

Partialartist: Since I'm from Montreal, I can see the northeast pretty much whenever I have a week off. That's why I'm going straight to Philly. Given that logic, I might even bypass the Adirondacks in favor a faster roads and make a weekend of it another time.

Big Mutant on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My bad on the wrong forum. Can a mod move it please?

Big Mutant on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Help and Advice. It's a subforum.

Philly, from the two times I've been there, is kinda meh. Interesting, but there's better places to go. I hear St. Louis / Kansas City offers some interesting things, and they might be a little different from Philly, which would be much more similar to Montreal.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Podly wrote: »

Ok, this should be in Help and Advice, but kindly shut the fuck up. Boston offers a lot of stuff to do in the daytime, and the college kids will be gone. Did you even read his post?

Coming from someone living in NYC, the most fun city in the world, Boston's fun times.
    Perhaps living here my whole life has made me jaded. My apologies.

Partialartist on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm from south of Boston.

Seriously, Boston Gardens, State House, Harvard Square, just the general beauty of Boston.

Fuck, it smells great!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Seriously, Boston Gardens, State House, Harvard Square, just the general beauty of Boston.

Fuck, it smells great!

I see this stuff all the time, so I consider it mundane. I love that it's such a great walking city though.

Partialartist on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    On the Detroit issue. This is an...alright day trip but it's really not a great place. If you're looking for nature try going up the west side of the state. Grand Haven is a great little town and most of the tourists will be gone by the time you will be getting there and the coming fall is just gorgeous. Take a walk along the boardwalk to the end of the pier and the lighthouse looking out into lake Michigan; it's rather idyll. Then head across the state into the Detroit area before you head back into Canada (through Windsor I'm assuming).

PS. From Grand Haven I'd advise taking 96 across the state the whole time.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For weather purposes, I'd advise perhaps going counterclockwise instead of clockwise. You're leaving in September, so it's less likely to be ass-cold. I think that's something you want to avoid. If you go counter-clockwise, you hit the north right away, and you get nice fall colors. If you go clockwise, you hit it at the end and get mile after mile of possible snowy conditions (depending on how long this trip is taking). You'll only have to deal with that at the very end, as you're heading back up the eastern seaboard to Montreal.

That said, on the Seattle-to-LA leg, try to hug the coast. Try this route: Seattle to Portland, down the Oregon coast, redwood forest, San Francisco, then take Highway 1 (e.g. Big Sur) to LA. Once you get past Big Sur, your call- you can keep on the coast after that, try the Central Valley, whatever. (This is assuming that you DO go counter-clockwise, just flip the order going clockwise.)

As for LA itself: skip it. I'd perhaps advise passing right on through and hitting San Diego instead.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As it';s said in every cross-USA trip, the big middle chunk, about 90% of it, is pretty boring. Sounds like your running along the coasts, which is longer, but defineitly more interesting.

As mtvcdm said, you may consider reversing your route, as you'd be htting the modwest around late fall/winter if I'm following it correctly. Chicago is pretty cool in the winter, lots of events, etc., but driving, not so much fun. Obviously you're not all, "OMG, snow!" being from Montreal, but just something to think about.

As for our parks, I've been to Yellowstone, Glacier, Bad Lands (South Dakota), and Great Smoky Mtns in Tennesse. Glacier National Park was the most wild; fuckin' bears are real wild bears, not like the Kodak Bears in Yellowstone (get it, Kodiak...). Bad Lands was incredible if you love dry heat, horrible smells and lots of bugs.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Partialartist/Podly: I was in Boston to catch the last Habs-Bruins game of the season. Walked all over the city. I enjoyed it, but was not wowed. It was funny to be asked for ID when I ordered a beer in a pub. The seafood chowder was amazing, though.

TheLong: I'll keep Grand Haven in mind, thanks.

mtvcdm: For some reason, your counter-clockwise idea never occured to me. I'll give some thought. Any clue when the fall colours start to show in Virginia/the Carolinas? How about in the northwest? Considering I'll be coming back at very latest late October, is there really a risk of me seeing some snow? We started having some here only around New Year's, so...

MichealLC: You're right; snow fails to impress me. :) As for dry heat, horrible smells and lots of bugs, I can tell you I don't care for the last two. The furthest south I've been is Boston, so I've got no idea what dry heat feels like. Looking forward to finding out, too.

Big Mutant on
  • Options
    TokyoRaverTokyoRaver Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Coming from somebody else living in NYC: WHAT?

I mean New York has more than its share of amusing things to do but still...no.

TokyoRaver on
    logo_phpBB.gif
  • Options
    MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Definitely take the 1 coming through California - there's some amazing coastal drives.
    (if you do, shoot me a PM/e-mail when you come through San Luis Obispo and we'll grab lunch or something)

San Francisco is probably worth seeing, if only for the touristy stuff (cable cars, Alcatraz, etc).

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Unless theres something specific in LA that you want to see or do, I'd skip it. Crazy night life and all, but its a pretty visually uninteresting city.

aesir on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here are my suggestions:

Definitely hit San Diego. The beaches are cleaner than LA, the traffic is better, and there are tons of historical spots to hit. I recommend Balboa Park and also checking out the Hotel Del in addition to some of the missions in the area. If you like water sports, there are plenty of places along the bay and the beach itself you might want to check out. If you do want to include LA, some interesting areas to hit are the La Brea Tar Pits, Griffith Observatory, the Santa Monica Promenade, Universal Studio Walk and if you're feeling like going to a night club or being touristy, Hollywood Blvd.

I also recommend hitting Colorado at some point. It's gorgeous up by the Boulder area and the drive from that area through Utah and into Vegas (if you so chose) is one of the most beautiful in the country.

Other sites of interest I would recommend would be Devil's Tower in South Dakota (very interesting lore around that), Mono Lake near Yosemite in California(some of the most interesting biology I've seen), and of course, the Grand Canyon.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    if you are taking I-70 through Missouri you need to see the Science Musem and Gateway arch in St Louis, go on a pub crawl in dowtown Columbia (including a burger from Booches), and get some Barbeque from Either Gates or Arthur Bryants, and check out a Royals game (it is kosher to root for the other team)

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just wanted to toss in my pro-vote for Boston. While the city may irritate me on a day-to-day basis due to traffic and such, the city itself is BEAUTIFUL and chock-full of historical sites and locations that are fascinating to visit. Paul Revere's house? Cop's Burial ground? Old North Church? The Constitution? Bunker Hill? Old State House? Fanieul Hall? The list goes on and on...

And, just outside of the city, is even more historical fun... Concord/Lexington and Revolutionary War battle sights, for instance.

And if you're in it for natural beauty, there's no better place than New England (specifically the White Mountains of NH, Green Mountains of VT, Berkshires of MA).

misbehavin on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Big Mutant wrote: »
    Having said all this, what is your advice?

Do it on a motorcycle.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would skip Las Vegas and keep heading for California, Vegas is a hellhole

Pojaco on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Being a Canadian it may not interest you, but in my opinion everyone who gets a chance to visit Washington DC should go to the National Archives and see the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence. There is tons of great stuff at the various Smithsonian museums (all free admission btw), but the Archives were the highlight for me.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eh, I'll just give you places to go. :)

Seattle area; definitely try to go to the Pike's Place Market, and also the Aquarium, lot's of weird looking fishes and you occasionally get to see them fed. These one's are close together, as in walking distance. Space Needle, just go up to the top, nice view.

East Coast; yeah, go to Boston, it is cool. When you are in Gettysburg try the Blue Parrot, It has shortish hours tho, so mid-day is the best time, even if it is busy. One of the museums has a narrated thing with a light-up board to show the positions of everyone- don't do it, it's boring. Go for the walking or driving guided tours of the area, as those were the best.

Have fun!

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Fuck, it smells great!

Where exactly south of Boston?

OP, you have to visit Boston. It's one of the springboards that started the country. Lots of old colonial stuff to visit. If you go, go on the Duck Tours. Don't settle for anything less.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Raere wrote: »
    If you go, go on the Duck Tours. Don't settle for anything less.

I won't say not to do this, because it obvious is great for a lot of people, since they are so popular. But, I want to say, don't base your opinion of the city on these tours. I didn't like the tour when I did it so many years ago and I love the city.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    Filet of BabyFilet of Baby Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I live about an hour away from Philly (Not too far, but traffic on the blue route makes it an hour) and I spend weekend down there all the time. I've been to most upper-east coast cities and Philly and Boston are definately the two most culturally awesome. They both have the history you're looking for and Philly has some great ethnic foods. (It's not just all cheesesteaks). When you're in Philly hit up the Italian Market for some good food, and even better cheeses. Also it's a big music city, so there is always a concert going on somewhere, look into the venues and whatnot, to name a few look at: The Trocadero, TLA, Electric Factory, The Rotunda, First Presbyterian Church (a church that is a venue by night), and the meadowlands in New Jersey.

As far as History goes, Philly is full of it, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc etc.

And because you're a nature man, Pennsylvania is home to the Pocono's which is a popular resort/preserve. It's this HUGE chunk of woods in Eastern-Mid PA that's about 2 to 3 hours from Philly (I would suggest hitting it on the way to Philly). Just do a google search for it, grab a cabin for a weekend, whatever your nature pleasures are, they have it. Everything from bird watching to archeology events at different camp grounds and whatnot.

Filet of Baby on
    enforceruserbareast.png
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think it might be a challenge to go on a drive that long and fit everything in while still being able to absorb it.

I drove a big 6500+ mile loop last fall from Seattle through the middle of America in a little less than two weeks and by the end I felt like if I had tried to go anywhere else I wouldn't have been able to appreciate it. I have pictures and whatnot up here. YMMV, but especially if you're wanting to visit cities I could see it getting to be too much.

I will say that I liked my trip enough that I'm planning on doing something similar again and spending some more time in cities like SF, LA, and San Diego in addition to the national park thing, but I'm going to make it a trade-off and cover less ground overall.

Whatever you end up doing, I think you will enjoy it, just keep in mind that you're describing an epic distance to travel.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When you make your way through the midwest be sure to stop at The House on the Rock. It's an incredibly cool museum and one of the most unique and interesting things in the midwest, imo.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh yeah, one other thing in case you don't read this in my log - if you drive through Minnesota, expect to be pulled over. The state troopers there watch for out-of-state plates and then find an excuse to pull you over and search your car.

blincoln on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    blincoln wrote: »
    I think it might be a challenge to go on a drive that long and fit everything in while still being able to absorb it.

I think you're underestimating this by saying it'll be a challenge. I haven't even started yet, and I'm already dissapointed with all the things I won't be able to do. I'm sure that what I do end up seeing will more than make up for it, though.

Thanks for the tip about Minnesota. I won't be as nervous if I drive through there and it happens.

As for the rest of the suggestions, thanks to all. It only adds to my ever-growing list of things to do/see, but I wish I had more of these problems in my life.

I'll post an update when I've got a more solid itinerary figured out.

Big Mutant on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Big Mutant wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating this by saying it'll be a challenge. I haven't even started yet, and I'm already dissapointed with all the things I won't be able to do. I'm sure that what I do end up seeing will more than make up for it, though.

Hah, actually I originally wrote something a little more strongly-worded, but the more I thought about it the less sure I was. I do think it will be a challenge, but I also think you'll end up with a trip that's jam-packed with interesting things.

Obviously there's no way to cram in everything of note on a trip like that. Even now I'm finding out about things that would have been interesting for me to check out on the last one I went on. But I got to see all of the things I'd wanted to on that route for years.

blincoln on