As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need new hair (solved)

exisexis Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
At the moment my hair is pretty much a mop. I've been letting it just sit there, but it's starting to get a bit longer (covers my eyes if I let it) and... well, more moppish. I've been putting off going to a hairdresser, because every recallable experience with one has ended in me looking stupid for a week or so. Besides that, I've just started university, and I'm feeling a little more... I don't know, like I want to express myself more with what I wear, etc. I've had my lip pierced this year and a little more specific with the type of clothes I wear. I see punks around campus with crazy hair and I think it's awesome. While I don't think something too outrageous would suit me personally, I'd like to be at least a little different. I just don't know what I want to do. Every attempt I've made to look for "mens hair" as some kind of starting point has returned glossy-fashion-magazine-runway-style dudes with immaculate hairstyles that I'd never be able to pull off, let alone maintain.

I'm not really asking for a specific hairstyle to be suggested. But I really have no idea what I'm looking for. Should I just walk into a salon and ask for someone to suggest something to me. I'd hate to give off the wrong impression and come out looking like a clown.

exis on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Find a hairdresser who isn't super rushed, and just have a conversation with them about your hair and what they think might look good on you. Speak to your friends, find out if they go to a specific hairdresser and why.

Everytime I move I have to scout out a few hairdressers. If they don't give a decent vibe, I get a bit of a trim, pay the money and then hop off to find another one. My current one I sat down, had a nice conversation with her about what she thought and she ended up pulling off a simple but effective cut that's ten times better than the crap I've put up with from high end 'hairstylists'.

devoir on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What style are you going for? Goth, emo, hardcore, crust, general badassery? Even within punk, there are lots of little subgenres, so as much as you can narrow it down, the better. Also, if you have a cam a pic might help us make a better judgement.

JeffH on
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A picture could really help with this assessment, and don't be afraid to talk to your hairdresser if you express what you want, they'll do your best to help you.

Before I go to the hairstylist I tend to look up or sketch out a few ideas of what I'd want it to look like (I'm a huge comic book fan, I totally had the same haircut as Domino from Xmen once...), then I ask around my friends to see what they think, get it down to two and then go to the hairdresser, and there's usually a happy medium.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm in the exact same situation as you. I wanted to grow my hair recently, and so I just let it all grow out. It turned curly, which I never expected, and for the longest time I had no idea what the hell I was going to do with it.

On a whim, I bought a bandanna-style elastic headband thing and some hair straighteners. And it's made a world of difference not only to how good my hair looks, but to my self esteem. I think you'd be surprised how much difference some hairspray or something could do.

Give me a sec and I'll post some photos if you want.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man I hate it when they fuck up my coupe.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    JeffH wrote: »
    What style are you going for? Goth, emo, hardcore, crust, general badassery? Even within punk, there are lots of little subgenres, so as much as you can narrow it down, the better. Also, if you have a cam a pic might help us make a better judgement.

Part of the problem is that I really have no idea what I'm looking for. But I think 'general badassery' would cover it :lol:. All I really know is that I'd like something a little different, and that I'm not really too restricted (not working this year, etc.). I'd like to keep my hair at least a couple of inches long - my head shape makes short hair look really awkward on me, I think. And I'll keep it the same colour, or maybe make it a little darker (it's dark brown naturally).

I'll post a pic when I get home if that will help at all.

exis on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I ran into this same problem my first year at college. I had short hair for my entire life up until then, and with long hair, I had no clue as to what to do.

Best idea, like Devoir said, is to get a hairdresser and talk about possible styles. None of that Greatcuts crap either, go to a real salon. It's more expensive, but you will look a hell of a lot better.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Find a hairdresser who has hair of a similar style to what you'd like, that'd be my recommendation.

When I was in this situation I took the recommendation of a friend with hair I liked and went to their hairdresser. He sat me down and I said I just wanted to "look cool" after flipping through a book of hairstyles that I didn't like. So he cut my hair and it looked awesome. I've been going back for over a year, and just tell him to do whatever the fuck he wants. It helps that he has hair that I really like, so I know stylistically we're on the same page. He also likes similar bands, so theres a deep vein of MTV hairstyles for him to plunder as required.

Having said that, my hair can be a fuck to maintain because its long and wavy, so I blow dry and use a hair straightener. I get a lot of compliments though, so hey.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I did the same as a few others have done. I just went into a hairdressers, and said "I want a new look, but i'm not sure what would look good on me. What do you recommend?" If they um and ahh (or even worse, look annoyed that THEY have to think), do NOT be afraid to simply say "Actually i might think about it myself for a bit" and GET OUT OF THERE, because you'll probably either end up with something ridiculous, or something far too conservative (which isnt what it sounds like you're after).

I had to do that twice, then the third shop the girl just started blurting out suggestions, color recommendations (i'd never colored my hair before then) and questions on what my styling skills were like to make sure i could maintain whatever she suggested. In the end i got a great haircut, and some tips on how to keep it looking good when it was my turn to style it. I've been going there ever since.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I made an appointment at a salon for tomorrow. All the hairdressers that I saw there today were female (the majority are, I guess), but a couple of them had really cool 'out-there' kind've styles, so maybe I'll get someone who can suggest something interesting.

My biggest fear is that they'll describe something to me, or even show me a picture, and I'll be like, cool, and it will end up looking like ass. I guess there's not much I can do about that. Fingers crossed..

exis on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You should buy the clippers and scissors necessary to cut your own hair. This is the only way to avoid the inevitable post-salon feeling of "hey, I look like an ass". I've been cutting my own hair for about 6 years now, have worn it both very long and (right now) very short, and anytime I'm unsatisfied I step into the bathroom and fix it myself.

People are going to jump all over this and tell you that someone with experience should be cutting your hair, but they're wrong and you can be just as confident in yourself as you are in a stranger with a piece of paper on the wall. People who work with hair always have the worst haircuts anyways.

DIY (especially if you're going for bad-assery and taking hair inspiration from "punks")

Pojaco on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Willeth wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation as you. I wanted to grow my hair recently, and so I just let it all grow out. It turned curly, which I never expected, and for the longest time I had no idea what the hell I was going to do with it.

On a whim, I bought a bandanna-style elastic headband thing and some hair straighteners. And it's made a world of difference not only to how good my hair looks, but to my self esteem. I think you'd be surprised how much difference some hairspray or something could do.

Give me a sec and I'll post some photos if you want.

What are good straighteners for a guy? My hubby goes nuts because his hair gets all curly at the end, and the only thing I have experience with are feminine products. :lol:

And where did you find the headband? I've searched all over and I must be blind. O_o

Aurin on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey, I don't know. Are there different products for men and women? I just found them for fifteen quid clearance. They heat up two pieces of ceramic, that's all I need from them. The headband is a similar situation - market stall in town, picked it up on a whim.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Willeth wrote: »
    Hey, I don't know. Are there different products for men and women? I just found them for fifteen quid clearance. They heat up two pieces of ceramic, that's all I need from them. The headband is a similar situation - market stall in town, picked it up on a whim.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ah haha, I didn't even see you were from the UK. Looks like I just search on the net. :) No worries! :)

/derailtopic off

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Okay, got my haircut. I'm happy with it too, woo. Although it was straightened at the salon, and I really liked it, but it apparently won't last very long. So I may have to invest in a hair straightener...

Still, I'm happy :)

exis on
This discussion has been closed.