As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a Cable Modem

SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I just noticed that since Comcast is itemizing my bill, I am paying a $3 monthly "rental fee" for their Cable Modem.

I'd like to replace this slice of bullshit with a generic Cable Modem that I can buy and own and pay for all by myself.

Can anyone make any viable and inexpensive recommendation that will work appropriately?

Squashua on

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've got a Motorola Surfboard that I picked up at Best Buy. I don't remember how much it was then, but the one they've got on there now is $71. Linky.

[edit] I'm also on Comcast, and I know the Surfboards work so that's where a large part of my recommendation comes from. You may want to talk to them about any screwing around you might have to do because swapping out the old modem for the new one will mean the MAC will no longer be what it was, and I want to say that's what they use to pair your modem to your service/bill.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've got a Motorola Surfboard that I picked up at Best Buy. I don't remember how much it was then, but the one they've got on there now is $71. Linky.

[edit] I'm also on Comcast, and I know the Surfboards work so that's where a large part of my recommendation comes from. You may want to talk to them about any screwing around you might have to do because swapping out the old modem for the new one will mean the MAC will no longer be what it was, and I want to say that's what they use to pair your modem to your service/bill.

I second the Motorola Surfboard. Just be aware that sometimes Comcast will charge you $50 to use your own modem. They forgot to do that to me last time, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have never heard of comcast charging you anything for using your own modem. And this is with experience from working for Comcast, and a major retailer who would setup Comcast accounts and sell modems to the people.

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    I just noticed that since Comcast is itemizing my bill, I am paying a $3 monthly "rental fee" for their Cable Modem.

I'd like to replace this slice of bullshit with a generic Cable Modem that I can buy and own and pay for all by myself.

Can anyone make any viable and inexpensive recommendation that will work appropriately?
    Personally, I'd recommend that you just eat the rental fee. While yes, buying your own modem means that it's a once and done purchase, it also means that if anything goes wrong with the modem, it's on YOUR head. In comparison, if you're renting the gear, it's Comcast's problem if things should go wonky. Also, you may be able to replace it regularly with up to date gear.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have owned my own modem for like 2 years now no problems. It is worth it to not give the cable company any more money than you have to. Any motorola cable modem will work fine. I would just suggest make sure it is DOCSIS 2.0 compatable. There is a new DOCSIS standard due to roll out but I think that is a few years down the road. I would think most places you should be able to get a cable modem for under 100. You can probably find them cheaper online. I recomend checking newegg.com

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have owned my own modem for like 2 years now no problems. It is worth it to not give the cable company any more money than you have to. Any motorola cable modem will work fine. I would just suggest make sure it is DOCSIS 2.0 compatable. There is a new DOCSIS standard due to roll out but I think that is a few years down the road. I would think most places you should be able to get a cable modem for under 100. You can probably find them cheaper online. I recomend checking newegg.com
    The thing is that the rental fee is $3, right? That's $36/yr. So you're not going to break even for about two years. And if your modem gets fried, you have to pony up for a new one.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have an extra cable modem that I'll give to you for $30. I'll see what model it is when I get home.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The thing is that the rental fee is $3, right? That's $36/yr. So you're not going to break even for about two years. And if your modem gets fried, you have to pony up for a new one.

Well considering he probably won't be getting rid of the Internet any time soon, as well as the fact that the Surfboard can be used on other providers like Cox, I think he's in the safe on this one. Plus I've never had one of my Motorola's die on me. Now I've lent one out to someone who didn't return it, but she was nice so I don't hold it against her. :P

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Motorola has a 2 year hardware repair/replace warranty on some of their modems, if it was purchased directly from Motorola or an authorized Motorola reseller.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, Motorola tends to replace your modem with one of their latest models if it goes south. That's what they did with mine after someone spilled pop all over it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RaqieRaqie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I had Comcast and I used a D-Link DCM-202 modem. It worked very well and Amazon has them for $40 after mail-in rebate. Just make sure to call Comcast to give them the MAC number and double check your bill the next month. I had to call in twice because they continued to charge me after I'd returned their modem to them. (Which is one of the many reason I switched to Verizon today...making my cable modem pointless.)

Raqie on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    modem.jpg

I've got an extra one of these. It's a Terayon TJ715x. I don't have Comcast, I have Road Runner, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work with Comcast. Let me know if you're interested. My seller name on ebay is NibCrom, if you want to check my feedback. (cat not included)

NibCrom on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Usually the ISP's website lists all known compatibile models of modems.

FyreWulff on