As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Song of Ice and Fire: Question

OhioOhio Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm on book two of this awesome series, about page 600. Please try your hardest to avoid spoiling anything. I just have a simple question. I had to put the book down for a bit and I'm trying to pick it back up but I've forgotten a few things. At this point, who actually has the truest claim to the throne?
I remember something about a bastard son of Robert, traveling with Arya on their way to the Wall. No one knew this boy was Robert's bastard son, but apparently he is actually the most true heir of Robert, making him the king? But he hasn't been mentioned in hundreds of pages so I can't remember what happened to him.

Dany (dragon girl) - She (and her brother before her) claims to be the true ruler of Westeros. Is she? If so, why? Does she trump everyone else for some reason?

Stannis? (Renly is dead at this point.)

Also, why is Theon Greyjoy and his family suddenly trying to take the throne too? Where did that come from?

Anyway, maybe I'll find out in the next couple pages but I don't want to go a lot further without a clear idea of who's actually right.

These books are awesome. So much is going on, the characters are all great. I don't know why I never heard of this series until recently.

Ohio on

• Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ohio wrote: »
    I'm on book two of this awesome series, about page 600. Please try your hardest to avoid spoiling anything. I just have a simple question. I had to put the book down for a bit and I'm trying to pick it back up but I've forgotten a few things. At this point, who actually has the truest claim to the throne?
    I remember something about a bastard son of Robert, traveling with Arya on their way to the Wall. No one knew this boy was Robert's bastard son, but apparently he is actually the most true heir of Robert, making him the king? But he hasn't been mentioned in hundreds of pages so I can't remember what happened to him.

Dany (dragon girl) - She (and her brother before her) claims to be the true ruler of Westeros. Is she? If so, why? Does she trump everyone else for some reason?

Stannis? (Renly is dead at this point.)

Also, why is Theon Greyjoy and his family suddenly trying to take the throne too? Where did that come from?

Anyway, maybe I'll find out in the next couple pages but I don't want to go a lot further without a clear idea of who's actually right.

These books are awesome. So much is going on, the characters are all great. I don't know why I never heard of this series until recently.

Been a little while since I read these so this is off of memory.

His bastard son, the apprentice blacksmith at this point is with Arya. I don't wanna spoil anything, but I believe in book 2 they are stuck on the road with some crows... until....

Dany is a heir as a daughter of the Mad King that was the previous King before Robert took the throne. He was killed by the appropriately named Kingslayer. So her family had the throne before Robert ever did.

Stannis and Renly were Roberts brothers and sought claim to the throne. This is due to the "sons" of Robert not actually being his, but conceived in incest with the Queen and her brother.

I forget how Theon's family fits into this. I don't believe they are claiming to be next in line to Westeros.

I'm sure there's a wiki or something. Can't search for it at work though.

edit: I lie. Here is the wiki http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

solsovly on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd just start over on the book. Easier that way, and a good refresher. ;-)

Because, really, it's hard to keep from spoiling things by answering your questions. :P

Edit: There is also this: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=19295 the big discussion thread in Writer's Block.. but it's spoilerific at times.

Aurin on
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For safety's sake I'll just spoiler my whole answer. I don't think I really give anything away; it's just to be sure.
    It all depends on if women are allowed to be the sole sovereign, or if there has to be a male monarch. No matter how you slice it Cersei is the legal queen of the realm. She has authority as Queen Regent. If it HAS to be a man, Stannis or Edric Storm have the best claim through Robert, I'm just not sure who goes first. Dany's only claim is through a deposed line, so I don't think she has any legal basis, only a traditional one.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd second Stannis' bastard. The brothers claim would come AFTER the sons claim.

Dany's claim is moot since Stannis took the throne from the Targaryens.

The Greyjoys don't claim the throne, but they will fight for it and take it. Pirates, yarrrr!

The Starks claim is about as good as Dany's. Used to be kings, waaaaaay back when.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dany and Jon Snow are both Targaryens, and Dany has dragons, so I think they win.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Dany and Jon Snow are both Targaryens, and Dany has dragons, so I think they win.

Don't read this spoiler.
    Keep in mind he is in the second book.

solsovly on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    solsovly wrote: »

Don't read this spoiler.

Yes, that's a HUGE FUCKING SPOILER.

It also the answer but I don't remember if it's even possible to put together at the point he is.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Don't read this spoiler.

I'm really glad I read your post before I clicked that spoiler.

Ohio on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ohio wrote: »

Don't read this spoiler.

I'm really glad I read your post before I clicked that spoiler.

For the record it's a nice theory that I completely missed when I read the books. I wouldn't go looking into the fan site too deeply until you've read the third book.

D&D has a good thread on it here on the boards and westeros.org is pretty neat as well.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It doesn't really matter who has the strongest blood claim to the throne, it matters who can back it up. The second and third book are really all about that.

captaink on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That one spoiler is also just a theory and in no way fact.

Safe spoiler:
    The Greyjoys don't want Robert's throne. They want to re-instate their own kingdom with their own king, owing alliance to no one.

shadowane on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Don't read this spoiler.

Yes, that's a HUGE FUCKING SPOILER.

It also the answer but I don't remember if it's even possible to put together at the point he is.

Damnit, I didn't know that first part. :(

chuck steak on