As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F-Stop In The Name Of Love [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    my little sister graduated
    dsc0110bxu4.jpg

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    [GHSC]Ryctor[GHSC]Ryctor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yay for flowers!!

img1143en6.jpg

[GHSC]Ryctor on
    You'd be surprised the amount of damage a hauler can do in the right hands ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    d80-0449-2.jpg

d80-0452-2.jpg

wee!

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    nice. i'm surprised you didn't get shocked with that high view you had.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    nah, there are five floors above mine so I was ok.

Kinda wish the storm was closer actually, would have made for some better shots. Not bad for a first try though.

Proto on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    GasStationcopy.jpg

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Proto, those are AWESOME.

And I am way jealous of your view.

Sheri on
  • Options
    [GHSC]Ryctor[GHSC]Ryctor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    img1121ng3.jpg

[GHSC]Ryctor on
    You'd be surprised the amount of damage a hauler can do in the right hands ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    525320915_32561780f8_o.jpg
    ^burning/dodging & selective blurring experiment

Does anyone else carry a copy of the photographer's rights at all times? Yesterday, I was shooting in some old Jersey shore town with all these old Victorian houses and some asshole rent-a-cop stopped me and told me I couldn't shoot there, and I told him I could, and gave him a copy of it. He left me alone, but that really pissed me off. Not the first time it's happened, but I usually never make a big deal of it because when it does, I'm usually on private property and don't want to be kicked out (even though legal action or confiscation of my camera, memory card/film isn't allowed, I can still be charged with trespassing if they tell me to leave and I don't) but this time it was on clearly public space - in the middle of a street, in front of a beach. Are these assholes trained to give everyone shit about shooting in public space, in hopes that they won't know any better, or are they truly clueless?

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I believe that in most cases they're truly clueless.

Just like the general public.

Sheri on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I carry the photographer's rights, too. I have never needed it but I have it just in case. I have heard from people who have used it and still had the cop confiscate. I guess you don't argue too much with the guy who holds a gun and a nightstick.

I'm glad it helped for you!!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The cop can't confiscate.

That's theft.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yup, if anything, the cop would be penalized for that. Confiscating legal personal property is not within a cop's bounds, especially if you were doing nothing illegal with it, and photography in any place you can physically be without breaking and entering is not illegal whatsoever. You can even photograph on private property, and be deemed as a trespasser but it's still illegal for a cop to confiscate your camera equipment - because though trespassing is illegal, photography is not. Even if you took pictures while trespassing.

The law is fucking awesome, too bad most people don't know about it and let "authority figures" make them feel like they're doing something wrong, while in fact they're just being needlessly harassed by said authority who really don't know too much about laws concerning photography themselves.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    Ben BotBen Bot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    post-apocalyptic tin can....not so much

can_small_bw.jpg

whities playing basketball lawlz

basketball_equalize_small.jpg

freebird!

jeremy2.jpg

obligatory flower shot. im not too happy with the color on this one

flowers1_small.jpg

thoughts? criticisms?

oh i also have a question on lenses.

i currently use the kit lense that comes with the XTi. whats a good generic shooting lense that won't break the bank?

Ben Bot on
    stache.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The kit lens is something like 18-55 right?

Are you finding you want more telephoto then you have?
    (there are 55-200ish lenses that aren't too expensive)

Or a macro?

Other then that you are looking at a fixed lens which will give you speed and sharpness over a zoom lens.

Really it depends on what kind of shooting do you do (or want to do).

Proto on
  • Options
    Ben BotBen Bot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah the kit lense is 18-55. So having that little bit of zoom is definitely nice, but I find that I'm wanting a bit more sharpness. So maybe a fixed lense would be more appropriate. I like shooting in lower than normal light situations without a flash, so any suggestions for a fixed lense in that area?

Also, I think I need a polarizer filter (is that the right term?). Is it worth getting the 70-100 dollar ones? Cause I saw some 20 dollar ones at Best Buy and was like "I don't know....".

Ben Bot on
    stache.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Get a Canon 50mm f/1.8, they're like 75 bucks. But if you have a little more cash lying around, go for the f/1.4 or f/1.2, or even Canon's 28mm f/1.8.

They're cheap, fast, and very sharp. Everyone with a camera should own a 50mm lens. They're the greatest lenses available for the money, and teach a valuable lesson in composition since you don't have zoom available.

EDIT: never mind the f/1.2. they're like over $1000 hahaha

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    what the heck. where do you get photographer rights?

benz0rs on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    By being a US citizen (I'm sure other countries have similar laws, though) you automatically are granted rights to photograph whatever you want, wherever you want, as long as you can physically be there.

Read up, and print yourself a copy of the PDF. It'll be useful if some ignorant law enforcer tries to tell you you can't take pictures.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does this count for video/motion film too? Because I've known people who had their mini-dv tapes or whatever confiscated for not having a film permit.

Virum on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bread, I'm familiar with the photographer's rights but I do not believe it includes photographing things that are otherwise expected to be private, such as using a telephoto to take shots of the inside of someone's house. Plain view kind of thing from outside the house is fine, but there are still lines you can cross.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You can't take shots of stuff from inside a private home, but if let's say the window is wide open and you're standing outside on public property - there's nothing illegal about taking that shot. However, that's kind of creepy and paparazzi-like, but it explains how they're able to get away with telephoto shots of celebrities in their homes.

What I meant earlier by private property was stuff like businesses, museums, airports and such, where the public is expected to be able to go. These places may or may not have rules regarding photography but not following them is not considered unlawful, and they are not allowed by law to confiscate any of your belongings, though they may ask you to leave - and if you don't, you're charged with trespassing. I'm pretty sure that applies to videotaping as well, Virum.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ben Bot wrote: »
    Yeah the kit lense is 18-55. So having that little bit of zoom is definitely nice, but I find that I'm wanting a bit more sharpness. So maybe a fixed lense would be more appropriate. I like shooting in lower than normal light situations without a flash, so any suggestions for a fixed lense in that area?

Also, I think I need a polarizer filter (is that the right term?). Is it worth getting the 70-100 dollar ones? Cause I saw some 20 dollar ones at Best Buy and was like "I don't know....".

50mm is an excellent lens. Personally I don't really think the 1.4 is worth the extra money (it's over triple the price of the 1.8) because at 1.4 the DOF is really shallow. For Nikon the build quality is similar, not sure about the build quality between the Canons.

Excellent lens review site:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

For filters, you always want to buy something good. There is no point in buying a nice lens and then putting a cheap filter in front of it. One other tip is to buy filters for the biggest lens you have (or may want) and then buy stepping rings to make it fit on each of your lenses.

Proto on
  • Options
    CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I own the 50mm f/1.4 Canon lens, and I have to say, it is well worth the increased cost over the f/1.8
    Not only do you get a larger aperture, but you also get a lens that is a good bit sharper, faster to focus, and overall higher quality. That said, here are a few from wandering around the back alleys today, with the f/1.4
    alley.jpg
    caged-color.jpg
    Pipes.jpg

More pictures on my portfolio site (in my sig)

Code on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I don't like this first one but I'll post it anyways:

scarlettanager_01.jpg

scarlettanager_02.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For the DSLR gents, what brand memory card do you use?

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    4 gig Dane-Elec CF card

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Two Sandisk 1gig SD cards. Simply because I got them for 10 bucks from a friend that works at Circuit City. I have to get a faster card though. Preferably something with a lot more space too, since I started shooting RAW a few months ago.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    2 gig Sandisk Extreme 5 :D it's like a lovely shiny and expensive after dinner mint (oh and a 1 gig Sandisk Extreme 3 for my D70) just get the card that will get the most out of your camera, there's no need to buy an uber card for a camera that wont utilise the speed. Also I have heard from a few sources that microdrives aren't all that reliable so keep it bellow 4 gig (?) and instead maybe buy a couple of smaller regular cards.

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Is this a good card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820180615

its a couple dollars cheaper than the normal SanDisk one...

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I use one of those Tini, it's a good card.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A lot of people I talk to shoot with multiple 2gb cards. Their logic is that eventually there will be a HW failure, and if you carry multiple small cards then you are forced to swap out cards in the field and that eventual hardware failure will mean the loss of some pics, but not ALL your pics.

I dunno how many pics people here take - I can fill up a 1gb pretty quick shooting in jpg (I can't do RAW) so losing my memory card might mean losing 300+ pics at once. I can't imagine losing a 4gb card or one bigger than that.

Just a thought.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've been swapping between a 1 gig, and a 512 and never had any troubles.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've been using a 4 gig card exclusively and I never take enough photos to even fill a gig. Keeping multiple 2 gig cards seems ridiculous, unless you're shooting a fashion shoot or a wedding. I can't imagine taking that many pics just walking around.

Then again, I unload photos to my computer as soon as I get back.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It depends on your shooting habits. I carry around two 1gig cards, but usually one of them is enough to fulfill my needs. And then there are times when I go on long shooting trips and I'll need both of them and a laptop to store my RAW files during breaks. Since I shoot RAW, 1 gig gets filled up in about 180 shots but I'm pretty selective with what I keep. I don't let a crappy shot take up room in my card when it can easily be filled with a better one. Then when I get home, I look all of em over and decide what stays and what goes out of all the shots I was pleased with. Usually end up with about 5-6 of them, and I keep close seconds on my harddrive for later incase I find something to do with it in photoshop that can really improve it and make it worthwhile.

I completely agree with Pope that if you find that you actually use most of the space on your card up, it's better to carry around two smaller cards. It would completely suck losing 2gb of shots to me, but 1gb wouldn't be that bad, because at least I'd have some that I'm happy with.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Double post, but my macro lens just came in today and I was just out having fun with it.

530067030_247aecf350_o.jpg

I have to work on limiting the shallow DOF with this thing...

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Eeeeeexcellent, bread. Very pretty.

Sheri on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speaking of trees...
    gloryis0.jpg

radio.jpg

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Forests are really hard to photograph.
    JAmp5 wrote: »
    Speaking of trees...
    gloryis0.jpg

radio.jpg
    Double post, but my macro lens just came in today and I was just out having fun with it.

530067030_247aecf350_o.jpg

I have to work on limiting the shallow DOF with this thing...

bombardier on
This discussion has been closed.