Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Should I Get a Gamecube?

13»

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Faricazy wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Damn...I'm in the US, so my GC is NTSC.

And GoldenEye had R-Trigger aiming, too.
    I don't think he knows there are killer monkeys in the game. Otherwise, why wouldn't he(they) play Monkey Assistant? Single best MP mode ever.

1 word: Anacondas.

Make sure you pick up that game cartridge. Me and my friends had fun with that game for literally hours. One night, we were out in the parking lot deciding where to go for the night, and ended up back inside in the apartment playing it for about 4 or 5 hours.

metroid_sig.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2004
    5.46 wrote:
    F-Zero gives an incredible sense of speed. The levels just speed by, and there's enough loops and turns to give you vertigo. Such an awesome game.

That game is actually the only reason i've been considering buying the system. F-Zero X is the best game on the 64, and if the sequel is even only as good, then I'm all over it.

• ecchiecchi Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Maybe those Ikaruga problems stem from it being a PAL conversion, as I've never heard anything like that before about Ikaruga but have heard similar complaints about other NTSC-PAL conversions.

F-Zero GX is my favorite game this console generation.

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited November 2004
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

I don't think he knows there are killer monkeys in the game. Otherwise, why wouldn't he(they) play Monkey Assistant? Single best MP mode ever.

Make sure you pick up that game cartridge. Me and my friends had fun with that game for literally hours. One night, we were out in the parking lot deciding where to go for the night, and ended up back inside in the apartment playing it for about 4 or 5 hours.
    For the built-in nav thing? I only have the lunar lander game, which has insanely good music.

edited November 2004
    Faricazy wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

For the built-in nav thing? I only have the lunar lander game, which has insanely good music.

Yeah, for the nav thing. Find Anacondas. I think it's in the first level...I'll try to find out for you. In the meantime, look at my pretty new avatar. I made it myself. I love learning how to do new things. <3

Edit: Here you go:
    Found in: Siberia
    During: Easy, Normal or Hard
    Difficulty to find: 4/5

Okay, I actually found this one by accident! But here's where you can find
    it. You can find Anaconda in the building on the OPPOSITE end of the frozen river from where you start. After you have taken out the guards, destroyed the dish and opened the door, continue on going up ALL the flights of stairs then go through the area with all the guards and the three steam valves. After this, continue DOWN all the flights of stairs in the next room, hit the button to the door and go outside. You are now on the other end of the river! try not to get seen by any cameras and go inside the building. The Anaconda cart is in this room. Take out all the enemies here first, then look at the first metal shelf to the left, with all the boxes on it. The cart is on the bottom shelf. Just walk up to it, and you will collect it!

metroid_sig.jpg
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost oh shit son Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I have a Pelican memory card and it hasn't given me a single problem, yet. Meanwhile, my two official cards shit out after a few months of use. Ironic, I guess. Not to say that I haven't encountered troubles with third-party accessories before, since nothing I've bought from MadCatz has actually worked, ummmm, at all.

Okay, okay... The controller worked for two months and then died with no explanation. Opening it revealed nothing. Throwing it in the garbage revealed no further wasted future on MadCatz shit. I hope someone out there has had a decent experience with them, since I've yet to encounter anyone who actually has.

As for Resident Evil: 0, I liked what I've played of it, but I put it down a while back and haven't picked it up since. REmake pretty much killed RE: 0 without even trying.

this is your brain on seven yottabytes of suicidegirls and sixty pounds of pot
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited November 2004
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

Yeah, for the nav thing. Find Anacondas. I think it's in the first level...I'll try to find out for you. In the meantime, look at my pretty new avatar. I made it myself. I love learning how to do new things. <3

Edit: Here you go:
    Found in: Siberia
    During: Easy, Normal or Hard
    Difficulty to find: 4/5

Okay, I actually found this one by accident! But here's where you can find
    it. You can find Anaconda in the building on the OPPOSITE end of the frozen river from where you start. After you have taken out the guards, destroyed the dish and opened the door, continue on going up ALL the flights of stairs then go through the area with all the guards and the three steam valves. After this, continue DOWN all the flights of stairs in the next room, hit the button to the door and go outside. You are now on the other end of the river! try not to get seen by any cameras and go inside the building. The Anaconda cart is in this room. Take out all the enemies here first, then look at the first metal shelf to the left, with all the boxes on it. The cart is on the bottom shelf. Just walk up to it, and you will collect it!
    Thanks. Will do.

• Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Oy the fuck. I'm so scared my memory card is gonna go all corrupt now. Thanks alot guys. :(

Fuck you, Madcatz. As if your controllers weren't bad enough.

Ah well... Guys, the 500 block mem card will be enough, right? Or is it really recommended that i go with the 1019? How large on average are Gamecube saves? I come from the land of Xbox, where game saves often take up 200 blocks, so....

edit: Wait... DOES nintendo offer a 510 block memory card?

• aeolistaeolist Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Oy the fuck. I'm so scared my memory card is gonna go all corrupt now. Thanks alot guys. :(

Ah well... Guys, the 500 block mem card will be enough, right? Or is it really recommended that i go with the 1019? How large on average are Gamecube saves? I come from the land of Xbox, where game saves often take up 200 blocks, so....

Saves are usually very small with Cube games. Unless you've got Phantasy Star Online or a bunch of Madden games I don't think it'll be a big problem.

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    There is one problem with the gamecube saving. You can only save up to 127 files on one memory card; its not so much the mem card, its just the gamecube. That will most likely not be a problem since you won't save that much on one.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Recoil42 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it goes from 251 -> 1019.

• DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    First party saves are small. BG&E is like 51 blocks, NBA 2k3 is about 150 or something, ISS3 is 50 also, gladius is 30 or so. I don't get why BG&E is 51 when wind waker holds pretty much the same data (Arguably more with all the sculptures) and is about 5 blocks or so. Smeagol and I have 2x 251 cards and we're set forever.

F-zero GX is 10x better than the N64 one, which was also awesome. There are some fantasmic tracks.

The R-aiming makes it unplayable, Goldeneye's R-aiming works, so does metroid prime's, but TS2 is so twitchy, flimsy and springy that it's almost impossible to use. Even nightfire's is better.

How is rogue agent looking, people? Saw a movie of it in EB and it looked like it could be good, but probably won't because it's an EA game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GumbyGumby Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Gamecube is my favoured system. It's cheap too. Easy to transport, built like a brick, and those first party titles can be pretty fun too.

Get one!~
    You can get lots of older titles now for 20 bucks and such.

LOVE. We should all be rolled together as one.
    edited November 2004
    Gumby wrote:
    Gamecube is my favoured system. It's cheap too. Easy to transport, built like a brick, and those first party titles can be pretty fun too.

Get one!~

Like Beyond Good and Evil.

Seriously, I can't stress how great a game this is. I bought it waaaay late, cause I didn't really believe how good it was going to be. I have not regretted the purchase since. Get the game, and enjoy it, because I know you will. It has some of the best boss fights in the history of boss fights. The final boss may even be my favorite ever, I'm still not decided yet on that.

metroid_sig.jpg
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Gumby wrote:

Get one!~

Like Beyond Good and Evil.

Seriously, I can't stress how great a game this is. I bought it waaaay late, cause I didn't really believe how good it was going to be. I have not regretted the purchase since. Get the game, and enjoy it, because I know you will. It has some of the best boss fights in the history of boss fights. The final boss may even be my favorite ever, I'm still not decided yet on that.

I have to agree on that final boss. It was the hardest boss of the game, and definitely had the increasing "oh shit. oh shit. Oh SHIT. OH SHIT" Factor going on as the battle progressed.

JC of DI wrote:
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So, there's a video of Kurt Cobain in [Guitar Hero 5] out. I feel dirty watching this, he just looks wrong.

Well Cobain's mo-cap session was completely useless, so you can't blame them.
  • Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User
    edited November 2004
    aeolist wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:

Saves are usually very small with Cube games. Unless you've got Phantasy Star Online or a bunch of Madden games I don't think it'll be a big problem.

The game save files for PSO Ep. I & II only take up 28 blocks total, less if you don't go online (and thus don't have a network setup file). Madden files are usually around 150 blocks, and I believe The Sims has monstrous game save files. Other than that, most games usually take up 2-15 blocks each.

This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Take a look at the 20 dollar titles, friend.

Metroid Prime
    F-Zero GX
    Soul Calibur 2
    StarFox Adventures

That's a whole lotta gaming goodness right there.

lolfunny

• Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User
    edited November 2004
    First party saves are small. BG&E is like 51 blocks, NBA 2k3 is about 150 or something, ISS3 is 50 also, gladius is 30 or so. I don't get why BG&E is 51 when wind waker holds pretty much the same data (Arguably more with all the sculptures) and is about 5 blocks or so. Smeagol and I have 2x 251 cards and we're set forever.

F-zero GX is 10x better than the N64 one, which was also awesome. There are some fantasmic tracks.

The R-aiming makes it unplayable, Goldeneye's R-aiming works, so does metroid prime's, but TS2 is so twitchy, flimsy and springy that it's almost impossible to use. Even nightfire's is better.

How is rogue agent looking, people? Saw a movie of it in EB and it looked like it could be good, but probably won't because it's an EA game.

Mmm, ok.. i'm only interested in Nintendo games for the cube, anyways... any third party games get lovin from my Xbox...

• Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Get a cube, but never.... EVER buy Star Fox Adventures! That game will make you hate yourself, your mom, your dad, and probably even God.

pasigfa7.jpg
  • Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User
    edited November 2004
    I got SFA for $13 brand new.

And what I played of it (some of the beginning) seemed like something I would want to come back to on a rainy day.

Are all you haters sure that you're not just bitter because it's not a proper Starfox game?

edited November 2004

And what I played of it (some of the beginning) seemed like something I would want to come back to on a rainy day.

Are all you haters sure that you're not just bitter because it's not a proper Starfox game?

No, the game is just garbage and boring. Plus, the lil dinosaur is annoying as shit!

BAD GUY!!!!

pasigfa7.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2004
    Wasn't starfox adventures originally an N64 game, or am I thinking of something else?

• MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I actually played halfway through Starfox Adventures, until I stopped and thought "Wait...why the fuck am I doing this?".

Rare is fucked in the head, seriously. I thought Banjo Kazooie was pretty awesome, even played thorugh it multiple times. Jet Force Gemini was ok, mainly interesting for the cool levels.

But Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie are some of the most vile abominations ever to be released. The entirety of both games consists of flipping switches. You collect billions of different types of little itmes that allow you to flip billions of different little switches. None of the weapons, characters, or abilities enhance the gameplay. They only serve to let you flip more switches.

• MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    DisruptorX wrote:
    Wasn't starfox adventures originally an N64 game, or am I thinking of something else?

Yup. It was going to be Dinosaur Planet. That's why it has all that dinosaur crap in it.

edited November 2004
    If Turok didn't give you a reason to hate dinosaurs, SFA did

pasigfa7.jpg
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Metatrad wrote:
    The entirety of DK 64 consists of flipping switches. You collect billions of different types of little itmes that allow you to flip billions of different little switches. None of the weapons, characters, or abilities enhance the gameplay. They only serve to let you flip more switches.

I could never put my finger on why I didn't like DK 64, and you've hit the nail on the head.

• yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited November 2004

I thought it was fun, but then again I hadn't heard anyone else's opinion on the game before I played it.

• SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Apparently some Targets have it already. I'm not sure if the second controller is Target exclusive or what, but I know that the holiday deal includes at least mario kart.

Edit: Google to the rescue

1393094-front.jpg
    So, $40 for the two controllers, $50 for the game... the system is only $10 , and platinum too! Well, I know what i'm picking up on black friday

• Solid_SteveSolid_Steve Registered User
    edited July 2005
    What iv'e heard about the third-party memory cards is that they are actually smaller, but they compress your save data, and they have a tendency to screw up. Just what i heard, but it sure does make sense. I am certainly not going to trust my hours and hours of LoZ to some wishy-washy dealibob.

Also, i picked up Wind Waker at GameCrazy for $15 not too long ago. At that price how could anyone refuse?

Along the shore the cloud waves break,
    The twin suns sink beneath the lake,
    The shadows lengthen
    In Carcosa.
13»