As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sATA hardrive not detected with IDE drives.

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have an 80 gig WD IDE drive as my master and another one as my slave. Then I put this old 36 gig Raptor on the sATA as a slave. It shows up as "Master Slave" but I can't use the drive. What am I doing wrong?

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Check the BIOS's SATA options, make sure it's not set for RAID.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It was never enabled when I installed the drive but I will check again.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can't say that I have that much experience with SATA drives, but with IDE drives if you only have one of them on the controller, you would set it as the master (or cable select), not slave.

Also, have you looked in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage: Disk Management? Is the drive showing up in there?

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I thought that SATA didn't have the whole master/slave thing.

Type "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) into the Run menu and go the the option that says Disk Management. Make sure it's activated and assigned a drive letter, etc.

Also, maybe check the drive itself, physically. Is there some kind of jumper that's maybe set wrong? Are you using some kind of adapter that goes from PATA to SATA? ... that kind of stuff.

capable heart on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The drive could just be old, too, like you said. Does it spin when the power is on? Does it click? If there's no spin, or if it's clicking, it's dead, Jim.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It is a 36gig WD Raptor 10k RPM. It is 3 years old but was only used for 2 years. Worked fine in my last computer. sATA has a jumper for slave and master.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I can't say that I have that much experience with SATA drives, but with IDE drives if you only have one of them on the controller, you would set it as the master (or cable select), not slave.

The IDE drives work fine and I do have one as master and one as slave. This is what I have

IDE Master, IDE Slave, sATA slave. Detects the sATA as Master Slave. So it is a slave that is a master of the other slaves?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I thought that SATA didn't have the whole master/slave thing.

Type "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) into the Run menu and go the the option that says Disk Management. Make sure it's activated and assigned a drive letter, etc.

Also, maybe check the drive itself, physically. Is there some kind of jumper that's maybe set wrong? Are you using some kind of adapter that goes from PATA to SATA? ... that kind of stuff.

Does not show up in storage at all. The only place I see it is in the Bios as "Master Slave"

It might be a jumper setting...

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I had this problem before, can't remember the solution exactly. It involved going into Administrative Tools:

click on start
    click on settings
    click on control panel
    click on administrative tools
    click on computer management
    click on disk management
    look in the list for the new hard drive
    right click on it
    click assign drive letter
    type in a drive letter
    click okay

Pojaco on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It is not showing up at all in there and I tried all jump configs. I think I will just use it in another computer as master. I might set this one up as a raid for a file server.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Arn't there some WD SATA tools you need to load in order for windows to see the drive? I've installed some Maxtor SATA hard drives and you need to use that MaxBlast software. Otherwise the drive will show up in the bios, but not windows for some reason.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    pacbowl wrote: »
    Arn't there some WD SATA tools you need to load in order for windows to see the drive? I've installed some Maxtor SATA hard drives and you need to use that MaxBlast software. Otherwise the drive will show up in the bios, but not windows for some reason.

Yeah, I've had the problem too. Currently I'm using a RAID controller through Nvidia for one of my SATA drives even though I don't actually have the drive RAIDed. Windows XP doesn't always detect SATA anything, even up to SP2.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited May 2007

You are right, I forgot older versions of windows will not detect it without extra software.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg