As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ITT: omg college wtf.

• Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    General knowledge and general intellectual skills get you the good jobs, I hear.

Also, being good looking.

On a serious note, though. Alot of people that I work with who have the "best" (highest paying) jobs in the company are those with VERY specific knowledge about one particular facet of the business that I am in. This specialized knowledge makes them invaluable to my company, but kind of limits them in terms of other opportunities.

Wise_a on
  • OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey air are you still going to go do a business degree at macq?

I'm dropping out of engineering at the end of the year to try and do architecture or science
    because engineering is not for me

it's quite depressing really

Oden on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    nah i fucked up too much last year and didnt get in
    but i switched to mech eng and started putting some kind of effort in and im actually kinda liking it now
    like that subject i have to do an early exam in? hated it so fucking much last year and failed. now its my best subject and i actually know what its about

im pretty sure that architecture is also crazy hard and complicated but good luck with it

(im at usyd)

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I need to be doing a course that is more design orientated and less heavy on the maths and physics and boring shit that I hate so much.

Next semester I'm doing a civil and ict course though so I'll see how that works out for me

Failing that I'm redoing my HSC at tafe over six months and then I'm fucking off overseas for the rest of the year

Oden on
  • ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am currently in comp sci.

....yeah

Zeta on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well as someone who is interested in acting/directing, liberal arts is really the only college type that makes sense. I'll probably end up majoring in psychology or sociology, depending on which school I get into, but going to a uni or somesuch and majoring in dramatic arts just seems moronic to me. It's a degree that holds the least weight out of any degree ever, and if you focus on acting technique, you won't have a breadth of knowledge to bring to a character. I think it's pretty important to approach acting with a lot of knowledge on a lot of things, thus liberal arts all the way.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited May 2007
    oh yea its all boring maths and physics shit

why would you redo hsc though?

also acting is a pipe dream for anybody it wont happen dont bring it up here we are talking about real things

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Air wrote: »
    oh yea its all boring maths and physics shit

why would you redo hsc though?

also acting is a pipe dream for anybody it wont happen dont bring it up here we are talking about real things

I actually don't have to redo hsc because I took AP classes and the tests, and I'm fairly certain I got high enough to knock that out.

Charles Kinbote on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Geebs61 wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that people sound stupid when they call college university.

"I'm going to university!"

It just sounds dumb to me.

see in Australia a college is where you go if you're a dumbfuck drop-out - you can get into any course as long as you pay

We call those Community Colleges around here.

So is somebody calling me a dumb-fuck dropout because I took one year of community college and now I'm 22, make $41,000 a year plus full benefits, and have less than $10,000 of total debt?

Ruckus on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that people sound stupid when they call college university.

see in Australia a college is where you go if you're a dumbfuck drop-out - you can get into any course as long as you pay

So is somebody calling me a dumb-fuck dropout because I took one year of community college and now I'm 22, make $41,000 a year plus full benefits, and have less than $10,000 of total debt?

Yes

You're a dumbfuck because you felt the need to brag about it on the internet.

Iskander on
    edited May 2007
    whatever ruckus just dont steal my car stereo okay

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited May 2007

Let's take everything personally! It's the internet! Rarrrgh!

The fact of the matter is, that's what a community college is. Any course, so long as you pay. No application requirements. Stop taking offense at insults that aren't there. CCs are very, very popular for dropouts who still want a GED.

Charles Kinbote on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Listen closely to what I say.

And if you do this, it'll help you some sunny day...
    Oh, take your time. Don't live too fast. Troubles will come and they will pass. You'll find a woman, oh yeah. You'll find love. And don't forget that there is someone up abooooove. AND BE A SIMPLE KIND OF MAN. BE SOMETHING YOU LOVE AND UNDERSTAAAAND.

ChicoBlue on
    edited May 2007
    Iskander wrote: »

Yes

Point being that Colleges aren't for simpletons. Tradeschool students are extremely respectable too. My brother's a 2nd year carpentry apprentice and he makes as much as me.

Ruckus on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    It's not fair to say there's no entrance requirements for community colleges, at least if you're taking courses that actually count toward a degree. Those requirements are very low and easy to meet but some people don't meet them anyway.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2007

Yes

Point being that Colleges aren't for simpletons. Tradeschool students are extremely respectable too. My brother's a 2nd year carpentry apprentice and he makes as much as me.

Yes, but he makes it in money that he can only use to pay the blacksmith for new shoes for his riding steed. It's smart, though...he needs to prepare for when the Orcs of the Wyldlands begin raiding their village. WILL A HERO HEED THE CALL!?

Charles Kinbote on
    edited May 2007
    jesus was a carpenter.

look how he turned out

ChicoBlue on
  • ShinobiShinobi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well as someone who is interested in acting/directing, liberal arts is really the only college type that makes sense. I'll probably end up majoring in psychology or sociology, depending on which school I get into, but going to a uni or somesuch and majoring in dramatic arts just seems moronic to me. It's a degree that holds the least weight out of any degree ever, and if you focus on acting technique, you won't have a breadth of knowledge to bring to a character. I think it's pretty important to approach acting with a lot of knowledge on a lot of things, thus liberal arts all the way.

All these majors are stupid and don't generate money. If your skill doesn't generate money then it is a hobby or an interest. I'm finishing my bachelors in accounting this semester and we make 47,000 out the gate because there is so much demand.

Shinobi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shinobi wrote: »

All these majors are stupid and don't generate money. If your skill doesn't generate money then it is a hobby or an interest, if you will. I'm finishing my bachelors in accounting this semester and we make 47,000 out the gate because there is so much demand.

Hey guys lets all state how much we make to prove our selfworth on the internet.

Zeta on
    edited May 2007
    Zeta wrote: »

All these majors are stupid and don't generate money. If your skill doesn't generate money then it is a hobby or an interest, if you will. I'm finishing my bachelors in accounting this semester and we make 47,000 out the gate because there is so much demand.

Hey guys lets all state how much we make to prove our selfworth on the internet.

My weiner is also girthy.

Shinobi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007

See what you feckin' idiots don't seem to understand is that some people really do not feel the need to make money straight out of college. As someone who doesn't have to work if he doesn't want to, I am going to follow the dream and not compromise what I want to do with my life because I don't feel the need to spend the rest of my life climbing some bullshit corporate ladder. Sorry that you want to be in a single career track until you retire or die...I don't feel the need to do that.

I submit that YOUR major is stupid.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wussed out of being a Biomedical Engineer and switched completely to Applied Math. Huh.

I don't know what I want to do with my life. The school I'm at would make it quite possible that I could just sell my soul for money and work on Wall Street if I wanted to. Meh.

What useful things can I do?

I only just finished freshman year, so lots of time to think.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I JUST FINISHED MY CUP OF COFFEE!

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited May 2007

See what you feckin' idiots don't seem to understand is that some people really do not feel the need to make money straight out of college. As someone who doesn't have to work if he doesn't want to, I am going to follow the dream and not compromise what I want to do with my life because I don't feel the need to spend the rest of my life climbing some bullshit corporate ladder. Sorry that you want to be in a single career track until you retire or die...I don't feel the need to do that.

That is because you are a child and have no idea what it is to have responsibility.

Shinobi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    Zeta wrote: »

My weiner is also girthy.

Everyone just become a baker. You'll make a certain amount of money and never go hungry because hey, raisin buns! Anyone who doesn't do that is obviously a douchebag.

Iskander on
    edited May 2007
    I wussed out of being a Biomedical Engineer and switched completely to Applied Math. Huh.

I don't know what I want to do with my life. The school I'm at would make it quite possible that I could just sell my soul for money and work on Wall Street if I wanted to. Meh.

What useful things can I do?

I only just finished freshman year, so lots of time to think.

If you go through with it you can be actuary which makes tons of money predicting macabre things such as statistical models of heart failure.

Shinobi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007

That is because you are a child and have no idea what it is to have responsibility.

You feel that way because you are childish and cannot accept that Renaissance men (WARBLE) as much of a place in a ultra-capitalistic modern society as they did during their conception.

Charles Kinbote on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I spent my first year at St. John's University in Queens.

I hated it. It is not worth the money. I want to go to Community College of Philadelphia.

I cannot stand the idea of dropping tens of thousands of dollars at SJU. It hurts me, viscerally.

I don't know what I'm going to do this September. It's stressful. :(

Organichu on
    edited May 2007

You feel that way because you are childish and cannot accept that Renaissance men as much of a place in a ulta-capitalistic modern society as they did during their conception.

You're short one verb there, but I'd still like to get behind you (for buttsex).

Iskander on
    edited May 2007

You feel that way because you are childish and cannot accept that Renaissance men as much of a place in a ulta-capitalistic modern society as they did during their conception.

You're short one verb there, but I'd still like to get behind you (for buttsex).

There, I fixed it.

Now get over here, baby.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited May 2007
    Could someone solve this sentence:

"You feel that way because you are childish and cannot accept that Renaissance men as much of a place in a ulta-capitalistic modern society as they did during their conception."

Also, what is an ulta-capitalist?

Shinobi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007

"You feel that way because you are childish and cannot accept that Renaissance men as much of a place in a ulta-capitalistic modern society as they did during their conception."

It's a typo. Just got a bit distracted thinking of the old ulta-violence.

How do you "solve" a sentence? Do you mean "decipher"? Shall I respond to the mistakes you made with your vocabulary rather than the content of your post?

Charles Kinbote on
  • ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm trying to get set up at the Community College here and holy shit it's like a labyrinth of bureaucracy and feces. I've been out of hichschool for 6 years now and just the enrollment process is a pain in the ass. Apparently I have to go stand in line for 6 hours to have a counseler tell me what classes to take too. fucking madness I tell you.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    rofl renaissance man

Zoolander on
    edited May 2007

A person who likes to talk about things like responsibility and money, people not pursuing corporate careers and how childish they are about money, also about money.

EDIT: Maek moar monies.

Iskander on
    edited May 2007
    I saw that movie.

ChicoBlue on
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    i have summer school
    1 month
    3 days a week
    3-4 hours a night
    then
    1 semester
    that i'm registered
    but don't actually have class
    then i'm done with my masters
    then
    maybe i'll teach part time

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    from now on im going to put on my cv that im a renaissance man
    right under where i mention that i was time magazine person of the year in 2006

Zoolander on
    edited May 2007

It's a typo. Just got a bit distracted thinking of the old ulta-violence.

How do you "solve" a sentence? Do you mean "decipher"? Shall I respond to the mistakes you made with your vocabulary rather than the content of your post?

Could you respond with what that sentence means cause I still have no idea?

Conception, what has been conceived here?

Shinobi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    jesus was a carpenter.

look how he turned out

He got nailed.

Ruckus on