As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where to cash my paycheck?

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got my first paycheck at my first "real" job, and I have encountered a problem. The bank I use (Trustmark) has no banks in where I'm living, and the bank the company uses (Wells Fargo) doesn't either!

How can I get my check cashed? Can I go to any random bank?

SniperGuy on

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In pretty much any decently sized city there should be places with names like Insta-Check or something like that. They can change checks instantly but they will charge you for it.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd make a checking/savings account in a bank with branches near you and cash/deposit it there

long distance banking can be a pain in the ass if you don't have/want direct deposit

Xaquin on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'd make a checking/savings account in a bank with branches near you and cash/deposit it there

long distance banking can be a pain in the ass if you don't have/want direct deposit

doing this with a bank that has a heavy local presence will also help if you get an ATM card - so if you use their ATMs you wont be paying fees every time.

I also believe King Soopers used to cash pay checks... not sure anymore though cause I haven't had to worry about it for a good 9 years :p

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well I set Direct Deposit up, but it won't take effect for a few more weeks. I'm not really trusting the insta-check people either.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Do you have any friends in the area that bank locally? Do you trust them?

If both answers are yes, sign your check over to them, and they can cash it for you at their bank and give you the cash.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why do you need it cashed? Can't you just mail it in to your bank?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You can also cash the check in banks where the check originated. My last employer used to give us BB&T checks, and I would cash them there since I use USAA right now.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    You can also cash the check in banks where the check originated. My last employer used to give us BB&T checks, and I would cash them there since I use USAA right now.

OP stated that his employer uses Wells Fargo - who also have no branches in the area.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just take out another checking account at a local bank or credit union. "Free" checking accounts practically grow on trees these days.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Just take out another checking account at a local bank or credit union. "Free" checking accounts practically grow on trees these days.

I thought most "free" checking accounts required either a minimum balance or direct deposit.

Some places, like grocery stores, may cash payroll checks. They'll charge less than actual "check cashing" places if they do. Do you have any friends that bank locally? You could always go to their bank and endorse it to them so that they can cash it for you. Obviously a little bit of trust needed there.

Really, unless you need the cash in the next few days I'd recommend just mailing it to your bank. But if this is a long-term situation, I'd recommend switching banks anyway...as others have mentioned, banking long-distance can be a bit of a pain from time to time. Unless you're getting some kind of spectacular benefit from staying with your old bank, I'd say it's time to move on.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    imbalanced wrote: »

OP stated that his employer uses Wells Fargo - who also have no branches in the area.

Touche. I should work on my reading comprehension on Brain Age.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

I thought most "free" checking accounts required either a minimum balance or direct deposit.

Some places, like grocery stores, may cash payroll checks. They'll charge less than actual "check cashing" places if they do. Do you have any friends that bank locally? You could always go to their bank and endorse it to them so that they can cash it for you. Obviously a little bit of trust needed there.

Really, unless you need the cash in the next few days I'd recommend just mailing it to your bank. But if this is a long-term situation, I'd recommend switching banks anyway...as others have mentioned, banking long-distance can be a bit of a pain from time to time. Unless you're getting some kind of spectacular benefit from staying with your old bank, I'd say it's time to move on.

I'd rather not go into full details, but staying with my current bank is the best course of action. I checked in on it, and I am in fact mailing my check to my bank to get it deposited. Thanks guys.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Sometimes, not always.
    Washington Mutual and a lot of credit unions offer free checking without minimums or direct deposit.
    You could always go to their bank and endorse it to them so that they can cash it for you.

Fewer and fewer banks are doing that. I tried to do that when my girlfriend was in a similar situation and neither WaMu nor my credit union were willing to accept a third-party check.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Do an ATM deposit if they at least have ATMs near you.
    I'd also switch to direct deposit. It's the only way to do banking.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    In a pinch, grocery stores are also a great place for the most part to cash checks. Make sure you see their fees, though.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    In a pinch, grocery stores are also a great place for the most part to cash checks. Make sure you see their fees, though.

Already mailed the check, but I'll check that for my next few. My mom suggested walmart, and I pointed out it's a check from Target. Heh.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, poke around town and see if you can't find a store that will do it. A lot of times they will if it's under 300 but they may charge a fee.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Already mailed the check, but I'll check that for my next few. My mom suggested walmart, and I pointed out it's a check from Target. Heh.
    Shouldn't matter. Though, Wal-Mart also charges a fee.

Why do you want to cash it, anyhow? Don't you have a debit card?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yeah, but having the cash is a tad better than having no check.

And my employee discount at target can't be used with a debit card, weirdly enough.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My brother worked at a grocery store (Baker's, owned by Krogers) and he actually got his paycheck cashed at the store's own Customer Service desk :lol:

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

And my employee discount at target can't be used with a debit card, weirdly enough.
    I'm actually surprised that Target won't cash it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm actually surprised that Target won't cash it.

I didn't check, so they might. I just have never seen target do it, or have a spot to do it either.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wait, you work for Target?
    Don't they offer direct deposit? Most large employers do these days.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Didn't I answer that already? it takes a few paychecks for it to start direct depositing, I ALREADY set it up.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, for some reason people can't seem to read that you have set up direct deposit.

Just for future reference for you and others, somebody said that most free accounts require direct deposit every month or a certain balance. This is true. However, lots of banks will waive the fee for the first 3-6 months, especially if you are opening an account that you have to direct-deposit into every month. Just ask them about it when you sign up for the account - they do this so that you can get the account before you get your first paycheck.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Didn't I answer that already? it takes a few paychecks for it to start direct depositing, I ALREADY set it up.

Yeah, sorry, I read the thread but I missed that post.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Yeah, for some reason people can't seem to read that you have set up direct deposit.

Just for future reference for you and others, somebody said that most free accounts require direct deposit every month or a certain balance. This is true. However, lots of banks will waive the fee for the first 3-6 months, especially if you are opening an account that you have to direct-deposit into every month. Just ask them about it when you sign up for the account - they do this so that you can get the account before you get your first paycheck.

While it's always good to check, most free checking accounts now just have the bank keeping the interest for themselves, with no minimum balances at all. After First National did that in Omaha, every single bank has free checking now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tsmvengy wrote: »

While it's always good to check, most free checking accounts now just have the bank keeping the interest for themselves, with no minimum balances at all. After First National did that in Omaha, every single bank has free checking now.

Yeah, it's a checking account. You should never expect interest.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The next tier of checking account at all the bank's I looked at did give you interest... as long as you maintained at least 100$ in the account at all times.

Savings has a shit interest rate anyway, you're much better off investing in actual investments like stocks.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

In case you never got an explanation as to why this is, it's my understanding that it's largely due to the Visa/MC fees involved. Basically, your employee discount actually eliminates any margin of profit on many items (and actually causes the company to take a loss on a select few), so allowing you to use a Visa card would push even more items into a loss, and eliminate any profit on much of the rest.

I think even huge retailers like Target pay something like 3%-4% on Visa fees, but I could be wrong.

This is also the reason why most retailers push so hard to get people to sign up for their store cards...even when they don't own the bank issuing them and thus don't profit on the interest. No fees.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

In case you never got an explanation as to why this is, it's my understanding that it's largely due to the Visa/MC fees involved. Basically, your employee discount actually eliminates any margin of profit on many items (and actually causes the company to take a loss on a select few), so allowing you to use a Visa card would push even more items into a loss, and eliminate any profit on much of the rest.

I think even huge retailers like Target pay something like 3%-4% on Visa fees, but I could be wrong.

This is also the reason why most retailers push so hard to get people to sign up for their store cards...even when they don't own the bank issuing them and thus don't profit on the interest. No fees.

Oh, cool. That makes sense. Kinda sucks for me since my main method of payment these days is my MC. Nice to know though, thanks!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

dude, if it is a check from target, just hit up the GSTL or whatever, and they can cash them and shit. Or, at least the ones around here would.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    redx is right, Target should be able to cash it for you. Just explain to them you only need them to do it until direct deposit gets started and you should be golden.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.