As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Idiot Computer User F's Up

mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
In case the title doesn't say everything...

I recently installed The Sims 2 Deluxe Edition on my laptop. And it absolutely VIOLATES IT like a sexual assault victim.

In an attempt to make the game run faster by making more free space, I accidently deleted:

Internet Explorer (campus computer, woo)
Volume Controls
Various built-in games (solitaire, etc.)

See, I'm the kind of fool who understands JUUUUUST enough about computers to seriously fuck one up.

Internet Explorer is kind of weird in that despite having DL'ed a program to reinstall it, the computer refuses to recognize it.

Is there anything left I can try to fix it myself, or should I set aside some dollars for the Best Buy people to emasculate me by fixing it within minutes?

mrsnackroad on

• Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not sure if these will work as I've never had to do this, but these are worth a try (not in any particular order):

- Go to Add/Remove programs and then click Add/Remove Windows components. You might be able to get it to reinstall Internet Explorer from there (though you might need your Windows CD).
    - Since you're able to uninstall IE7, go to Add/Remove programs and try removing it. I would think it would show back up in Windows Updates after doing this.
    - I don't know if System Restore considers these "system files", but running System Restore to a previous day's checkpoint might work.
    - If all else fails, you could do a repair install of Windows. You might have to do all the windows updates again afterwords though.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Any reason you can't just reformat and reinstall Windows?

Thanatos on
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Few days back my PSU was acting funny and I didn't feel air coming out the back anymore. So I stuck a pen in the fan to see if it was still turning and it was. BZZZ bbzz computer shutdown. I replaced my PSU after that.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think EliteLamer lives on a somewhat different planet than the rest of us.

Anyway try doing a Windows Repair Install from the original cds. You might have to download all the windows updates again but this is easier than doing a reformat & reinstall.

DrFrylock on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Any reason you can't just reformat and reinstall Windows?
    I don't think this is good advice for someone that managed to deleted Internet Explorer in the name of saving hard drive space :)

Lewisham on