As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JT's Email Addy?

DarksageDarksage Registered User new member
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey everyone, I've an email to send to Mr. Thompson, but every one I find on google and try fails. Can anyone help me out with a proper email address for Jack Thompson? I'd appreciate it.

Darksage on

• Options
    Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It seems highly likely that given his general disposition and attitude, he won't be interested in anything you have to say if it doesn't involve giving him another target to go after. Also, I suspect he would rather avoid random people emailing him, as otherwise he'd have a publicized address.

Smasher on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    He used to on his website. Whatever it was. I emailed him once, didn't get a response.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2007
    I emailed him at stopkill or whatever it was and got a response. he's not a very nice man.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, stopkill is just a placeholder now... I know he's not very nice... but I figured I'd try my hand at have a mature conversation with him.

Darksage on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And what, you think you're the first gamer to try that tactic?
    He doesn't like us. He doesn't care what we think or say or do to dissuade him of his opinion of us and gaming in general.

I'd recomend saving your time and effort for something more likely to happen then a mature conversation.
    Perhaps jumping to the moon?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You can't have a mature conversation. Hundreds have tried. Save youself the time.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, I was going to try a different tactic... I wasn't going to mention that I've ever played games. I wasn't going to try to dissuade him. I'm just more curious as to how his brain works. What he is really trying to accomplish etc...

Here let me just post the email to show you what I'm talking about...

Dear Mr. Thompson,

I am writing this letter to you in the hopes of establishing a mature, intelligent conversation about your endeavors in regards to violent video games.

I feel that I already know a little bit about your background and would like to give you a snapshot of my personal history (I am not nearly as famous as you, obviously). My name is Benjamin Arthur Jacobs. I am 28 years of age and have been proudly serving in the United States Air Force for over 6 years. I've never deployed, or been on the front lines and hope I never have to. I'm opposed to being in violent situations and would rather protect my country without being submitted to the traumatic experiences that standing on the front lines during a war brings. I'm originally from Maine, however I'm currently stationed at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia. Growing up in Maine I had a pretty sheltered childhood. I enjoyed the outdoors, didn't watch TV very much in comparison to my peers and enjoyed walking in the woods, climbing mountains, or just relaxing outdoors pondering different thoughts much more. I was raised a Christian Baptist and attended church frequently. I was a camp counselor at a Christian Overnight Camp for 3 years. It is called Fairhaven Camp, outside of Brooks, Maine. In school I did exceptionally well showing a lot of potential in academics, adults became interested in how I thought when I was young, and I was submitted to many different aptitude tests. I was accepted into an enrichment school my third year of grade school. I continued to do well throughout High School and participated in theater, debate, and chess clubs. One thing I've always been proud of is my ability to be a free thinker. Someone who can remove himself from a situation in an effort to think about it more clearly and come up with a logical solution. Rather than always doing things the way I was told, or believing things that people told me were true, I was a skeptic and decided to investigate and come to my own conclusions.

I hope that the above information helps to alleviate any concerns you may have about this being another harassing email. I understand your time is precious and that you are quite a busy person, but I firmly believe that a discussion between us could be beneficial to both parties involved. Some things I admire about you are the passion that you display in regards to your beliefs, it seems that there are few who stand by their ideals so firmly. Another admirable trait is your ability to stand boldly upright in the face of so much hate, unintelligent babble, and death threats. You truly have courage taking on corporate behemoths and the MTV culture.

That being said, I would like to open the dialogue between us by asking a couple of questions. What is your idea of utopia? I understand this may seem like a trivial question, but it does interest me quite a bit. It would help me to understand what your ultimate goal is in regards to your holy crusade against violent video games and their supporters. Secondly, I would like to ask, where do you get the courage to face the adversity that you do everyday? I imagine that family plays a major role in this, however I can not be sure. I know that my family has always played a big role in my day to day life.

I won't take up too much more of your time at this juncture. Suffice it to say I am truly interested in your answers to my questions and hope that this is the beginning of a decent mature conversation.

Thank you for your time,
    Benjamin Jacobs

That email is 100% sincere. You have to admit it takes balls to go up against the people he does... I'm not saying anywhere what he is doing is right, but at the same time, I'm not implying what he is doing is wrong. I think this is about as innocuous as an email can get. I would like to see his response. So again, if anyone can help me out with getting this email to him I'd appreciate it.

Darksage on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It won't work. Jack Thompson is the physical embodiment of the strawman anti-video-game argument.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wish you the best of luck in this really, but I doubt it'll work out.

The first line, where you specify "Mature, Intelligent conversation" in particular makes it clear that you think his prior conversations where neither mature nor intelligent. At that point, he(or whatever poor intern he's enslaved to do this for him) will likely stop reading and delete the letter if you are lucky. If you're not lucky they'll stop reading and threaten legal action against you, your ISP, the makers of your PC and quite possibly your pet hamster.

You say you know his time is valuable, but only after wasting it with information that he most likely won't care about(IE your life story). At this point he knows you're 28 and able to use e-mail, that alone is likely to be enough to mark you as a gamer in his mind.

As a suggestion, if you want to get his attention, you may want to move the verbal fellatio to the beginning of the letter rather then leaving it to the end of the third paragraph.

As for finding his e-mail address, I really doubt you'll be able to do so.
    The man has been on the receiving end of a torrent of hate-filled e-mail for so long any e-mail address you are likely to find will either be full, ignored or deleted. Any e-mail address that JT actually uses isn't going to be publically available.
    I'd suggest instead, if you are serious about wanting a reply, you print your message and mail it too him via regular post, including your e-mail address should he want to respond.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If you do manage to find his email addy, best of luck. Unfortunately, he doesn't WANT to be persuaded, and you'll likely get a one or two line, insulting email back. I emailed him about stopkill, with some corrections about halo or half life or something (I forget what they were). It went something like

"Dear Mr Thompson

Great site! I did a little fact checking for you, and found a few minor corrections you could make. I figure it's worth being as accurate as possible so as to not give your opposition any ammunition. Here's the things..."

The corrections were things like he said a weapon was in Halo 2 that wasn't, or whatever. I can't remember his response, but it was not very christian.

Tube on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    He used to have a Comcast e-mail address. I found his account when I was doing tech support for them a couple years back. Dunno if he still does or not.

You are definitely wasting your time, though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2007
    As see317 says, your letter isn't actually looking to be as productive as you hoped.

It starts with an unintentional insult (implying that mature,intelligent conversation will only occur if asked for), then goes on to sound like a personals ad ("I enjoy walking in the woods, climbing mountains, or just relaxing outdoors"), then makes a statement which contradicts the previous paragraph ("I understand your time is precious and that you are quite a busy person"), then finally gets to the main point of the whole email which is, "What is your idea of utopia?", which actually isn't really a topic ripe for casual discussion over the internet, and would probably be gut-reaction responded-to with something along the lines of, "Not receiving random emails from fuckwits like you".

All that being said, if you want to get in touch with him, the lead I would follow would start at the gamepolitics.com website. At least for a couple months there, they had an ongoing dialog with him. I didn't keep up with their site, though, and don't know if their relationship eventually fizzled out or not.

Ramius on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was a mod on the GP forums and I can tell you there's no chance of finding it there, as JT threatened them quite a bit.

The name is a point of confusion that might've messed up your search. His name is actually John Bruce Thompson, but he goes by Jack.

magiccity@comcast.net is his e-mail, and it's publically viewable by anyone via The Florida Bar website.

Edit: I'd like to add that anything you say to the guy had better not be illegal, because even if what you say isn't there is likely a chance he'll make legal threats against you. Use your head.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You really should ignore people like him.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    gneGne wrote: »
    You really should ignore people like him.

This is not necessarily true, but also not a debate for H&A.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    so why post? think.

Tube on