As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Building help, fast please

ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Need to know something about power supplies, mine is too weak to run the video card I just got, however I know nothing aobut pwoer supplies and need to pick one up within the hour so I can get all this installed by my brother tonight.

Basically, I'm looking at buying: http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=9812&SID=

Will it be installable in: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=104&type=expert

Quick help would be perferred, got to elave soon if I want to make it to the store before closing :P

Comahawk on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No. The case uses a proprietary shape. Just look in a regular desktop machine and then look at the psu in the one you are building and you will see the difference.

From the article you linked, the psu is thinner.

stigweard on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to say no, that won't work. The case description says it uses a proprietary power supply. Just for info, could you post your system specs? Just curious as to what you think a 300W PSU won't run.

Here's the difference!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That case uses a proprietary power supply for a PS2. I don't think the standard PC power supply will fit.

Try one of these cases instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007+1054808288&name=ATX+Desktop

The power supply seems to be ok. A lot of reviews are giving it high marks.

Koekjes on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    damn, looks like I'm going to end up waiting another couple days to get my system running. Thanks for the help guys.

Not going to be buying a new case, since I already own the coolermaster case and it is a pretty nice case.

And as for what the 300W PSU won't run, I just bought a x1950 XT 512mb card, system reqs ask for a 450W or better... Didn't think to check that until now though... oh well.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Koekjes, it isn't a power supply for a PS2, it is a PS2 power supply. It is a specific form factor. Comahawk, if you look hard, you can get a 500w atx ps2 psu, but they are costly.

edit2: It seems the Antec site doesn't agree with the site I found the Neo HE for sale, so it isn't a ps2 psu.

stigweard on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Comahawk wrote: »
    damn, looks like I'm going to end up waiting another couple days to get my system running. Thanks for the help guys.

Not going to be buying a new case, since I already own the coolermaster case and it is a pretty nice case.

And as for what the 300W PSU won't run, I just bought a x1950 XT 512mb card, system reqs ask for a 450W or better... Didn't think to check that until now though... oh well.

Did you actually try it? They tend to vastly overestimate the required power when recommending power supplies.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    Koekjes, it isn't a power supply for a PS2, it is a PS2 power supply. It is a specific form factor. Comahawk, if you look hard, you can get a 500w atx ps2 psu, but they are costly.

edit2: It seems the Antec site doesn't agree with the site I found the Neo HE for sale, so it isn't a ps2 psu.

I am so very confused at this point lol

What exactly does this PS2 stuff mean? I've been looking at the dimensions of the power supplies I need and they seem somewhat similar to the one that came with the case.

As I said, my knowledge about power supplies is non-existant, I'm just getting into upgrading my own computer and understanding all of this.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »

Did you actually try it? They tend to vastly overestimate the required power when recommending power supplies.

Just checked the box for my 7900GT, appears it has the same requirments and runs fine with my power supply. I think I may give it a go... Pending my brother's advice.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It will probably work fine. The estimates are for systems that are loaded up before even installing the card. If you check review sites on actual power consumption, you can se e for sure. If you have a good quality, high efficiency power supply, you should be fine. The naming convention for power supplies contains information about the shapes and sizes. There are L shaped, regular, small, micro, etc power supplies that all fit different cases. PS2 is just a designation for a particular shape of power supply. Lots of Dell computers use PS2 form factor power supplies, so you might check those out before getting a whole new case, unless a new case with a better psu is cheaper. It is better to ask someone more knowledgable first, perhaps the manufacturer of the case you are using. They should know what will fit, or even have stock.

stigweard on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, what the video card box says isn't really true. Post all your parts so we can take a look and see if it can handle it. 300W should definitely be enough though.

Looking at power supply calculators, unless you're rockin' a Quad-core and 8 hard drives, you should be good to go with that power supply.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, installed everything and updated the drivers, seems to run fine. Eve now runs at 160fps, as oppose to 50 it was in Vista.

System Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    1 Gig Corsair TwinX
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Soundcard (felt stupid to type that)
    Sapphire X1950 XT 512mb
    200Gig Western Digital HD
    A8N-SLi Deluxe Mobo

All I can think of currently.

Comahawk on