As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deposits with cellular providers

phonkensteinphonkenstein Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking in to getting my own cell phone plan, but I don't have any credit history. Cingular wants a $300 deposit, which sounds high to me. Does anyone know how much other carriers charge?

phonkenstein on

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just got a Sprint, and they require $250.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    EuphoriaEuphoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    huh, I have no credit score to speak of and even have some delinquent accounts with hospitals and Verizon only wanted $125.

Euphoria on
  • Options
    superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would make sure you like the provider and the service you will receive and then make your decision based off that. 300 may seem like a lot now but it's small fries compared to what you will owe them over the course of a contract. It will be better to put down the 300 and get a quality service over 2 years than to put down 125 and get shit for 2 years. (this is just an example, i have no idea who is the ideal provider in your service area)

Oh, and after you're all done, get yourself some credit history :)

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    supersloth wrote: »
    I would make sure you like the provider and the service you will receive and then make your decision based off that. 300 may seem like a lot now but it's small fries compared to what you will owe them over the course of a contract. It will be better to put down the 300 and get a quality service over 2 years than to put down 125 and get shit for 2 years. (this is just an example, i have no idea who is the ideal provider in your service area)

Oh, and after you're all done, get yourself some credit history :)
    After a year of paying his bill on time, he'll have credit history.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I didn't mean to imply that his contract wouldn't build credit history, just that taking steps to build good credit history should always be taken.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Depending on how bad they want your buisness you can tell them you wont go with them if a deposit is required. Thats what I did with my first cellphone and they magically waived the deposit. YMMV

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981