As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please Help Me Spend $1500.00

MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
This is another one of those annoying plea's for help from someone who loves to play pc games, but does'nt know jack-all about buying a decent rig. For the last two years I've been using my Alienware laptop that I guess used to be hot shit, but now it's just shit. The damn thing overheats like crazy and now it just plain won't work at all. With what it's gonna cost me to get it repaired I may as well just blow my wad on something shiny and new.

I'd lke to get a fairly decent desktop pc that I can play games like LoTR Online, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, or Age of Conan (when it finally comes out). I'd like to be able to purchase it at a retail outlet, because with my work schedule accepting deliveries from Fed-Ex or what not will be impossible. I'd like to get something that won't fall apart on me, and would hopefully put me ahead of the curve for a little while, and be easy to upgrade should the time come. As the title of my post implies I have about $1500 samolians to spend, maybe a little more if it's absolutley necessary.

Please understand that I'm sort of an idiot when it comes to technical stuff, so if anyone out there in the intraweb can hold my hand, point me in the direction of where to go and what I need I'd be grateful.

Maximum on

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you can, try and get to a Fry's Electronics Store, as in an actual building. Buying from anywhere else will have you facing some really jacked up prices. Also, I have been running games like oblivion pretty damn well on a computer that cost me only $1,000 but due to price drops, it's probably $150 cheaper now. I would say get an 8800GTS graphics card with an E6400 Intel C2D processor. Getting a good two gigs of ram should also help and be sure to find a decent sized harddrive. Thing is, OEM HD's are so much cheaper than retail versions so if you want a bitching monitor, I would try and save about $50-$100 from skimping on the harddrive. Unless of course you manage to fill up 100gigs in no time at all.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    there are tons and tons of these threads around already, use the one in HA and dig up all the ones already in G&T

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Your best bet seems like is going to a local owned and getting one that way, because you're at least going to be able to have much more control over what you get in it.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You do know you can have something shipped via FedEx or UPS and then pick the package up at your convenience at one of their offices, right? All this depends on what prices you can find online and in person, but it seems you might save a lot of money that way.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Retail outlets will really rip you off. Look into having Fedex/UPS ship stuff and then picking it up from a Fedex/UPS center or something.

Anyway. The most cost-effective way is to build it yourself, but that might be a little out of your league.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Retail outlets will really rip you off. Look into having Fedex/UPS ship stuff and then picking it up from a Fedex/UPS center or something.

Anyway. The most cost-effective way is to build it yourself, but that might be a little out of your league.

Ehh. Its really, really not hard. The motherboard manual basically walks you through the process. Put the parts together like it says, after you've put the motherboard in the case, obviously. Then pop in a windows install disk, install it. Install the drivers, and you're good to go.

I just did it for the first time, and while I know a good amount about computers, I knew little about hardware before I tried. It was frustrating, but not hard.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Try some of the smaller computer sites, like IBuyPower.com or others. They tend to be pretty good about having a variety of parts, and the premium isn't too huge. Just check out the shipping to make sure it doesn't jack the price up too high. Retail stores are usually pretty bad when it comes to getting a computer with all quality parts.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There's nothing hard about building a computer. Anyone can do it. The hardest part is actually picking out the components. The upside is that you'll save a good deal of money, the downside is that your tech support options are limited. I can understand if you don't want to do that though, it's really just an option for performance enthusiasts and/or people that are cheap.

Zek on