As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sansa e200 vs. iPod nano

atkbobatkbob Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm in the market for my first mp3 player, and I'm looking at a price range of about $200 - $250. I'm thinking of getting something with flash memory, as opposed to hard-drive based, and the two players I've been looking at are the SanDisk Sansa 8GB MP3 Player (e280) ($200 CDN) and the Apple 8GB iPod Nano ($300 CDN). I've been looking at the features of the Sansa (Video playback, drag-and-drop, FM tuner w/ recorder, expandable memory, $100 less) against the iPod (better click wheel, thinner) and I think I'm going with the Sansa. However, as I've never seen one in the flesh, I wouldn't know of any major/minor issues that would change my mind. So, I ask: in your opinion, which should I get, or is there even a better option?

atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
atkbob on

• Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What? 300 dollars? That's crazy. You could get a 30gb video Ipod for 250.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    with my sansa it resets the playlist pretty often when you shut it off, and it always seems to start with the same song in shuffle mode, also the software for it is annoying as you can't make folders in the sansa but you must rather create the folder in windows and then copy/drag it into the sansa. Also it has problems when I delete music off it sometimes, it likes to make everything in the files explorer disapear until I reboot the sansa...
    Those are some things...
    I still like it though, wish there was a "top played tracks" option or "music I never listen to" option like the rio's have, but.... oh well

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    Patches7o9Patches7o9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What? 300 dollars? That's crazy. You could get a 30gb video Ipod for the same price.

Seriously, get the iPod Video at that price, it's not worth $299 for the Nano.

Edit: Fixed for correct price.

Patches7o9 on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys, 300 Canadian dollars.

EDIT: Shit nevermind, I'm an asshole.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I own both a Sansa m230 (512 MB) and an iPod Video (30 gigs) and I'd say Sansa is more convenient. You don't have navigate your way back to the menu for basic things like repeat one. It's way better for running as you have to lock iPods so the sound doesn't shoot up and down randomly unless you want to pay extra money for a strap to hold it in place. Sansa can be treaten poorly without worries. With Sansa you can play those pesky wma files your friends send you and mp3s. Not only that but you aren't restricted with what you do with your music library when you hook up to someone elses computer.

Sansa does have some cons of coarse. On mac it creates .1 KB files on your mp3 player which have to be deleted on a Windows/non mac computer. You also can't beat the speed of the iPod wheel when it comes to finding that certain artist/album.

I'd get the Sansa and see if you can get a rebate with it. I payed around 60 dollars way back for the 512 and my friend got it for $20 with a rebate.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Nano is $249 for the 8gb. I don't know why you thought it was $299, but even then I never thought the Nano was worth even that much. If you can get the Sansa for $50 cheaper, go for it, but I agree with patches that you should just get the ipod video. Way more storage, watchable video (the sansa screen is an absolute pain to watch video on), and not really that much bigger to be a pain.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for all your comments. I got the $300 price for the nano from the link in my first post. I'm looking at the 30 gig iPod Video ($300 CDN), and I think you guys may have a point. However, if I were to get one, what else would I need? Would I need a case and new headphones? What about a warranty?

atkbob on
    atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I and my girlfriend both have a nanos, so I thought I'd stand up for it here. Its much smaller than the 30GB iPod, and it has flash based memory so you can jog with it if you want. I guess those kinda seem like small things, but to me, they make all the difference. I don't watch video though, and don't even have or want 30GB of music.

EDIT: My spelling sucks, (and I always push quick reply on accident with the new forums).

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, the nano is actually pretty sweet. If you ever go running with your ipod or do any sort of activity like that at all and want to listen to your ipod during it, then go nano. Otherwise, the normal ipod is perfect.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    What about just getting an armband for your Video Ipod so you can jog with it? I've seen that before.

core tactic on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I only have a 4GB nano, so the purchase made more sense, but you know what? I don't think I'd like a bigger MP3 player. Miniaturization is really fucking hot shit.

My nano is the only MP3 played I've had that doesn't make me feel like an antisocial prat dragging technology around in oversized cases and pockets. But hey, if you've come to terms with being dweeby enough to have a special vest for technology or something this might not be a consideration. Its not like the bigger iPod is really all that big.

But if this thing dies? I've already bought another nano in my head. No questions.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's really a matter of preference then. I'd rather have a video ipod over my nano, even though I can do cool stuff with it because I put Linux on.

core tactic on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to be a jerk and deviate completely, and recommend the Toshiba Gigabeat. Far cheaper than the iPod, and I still have mine kicking around after two years of use. I dropped it while rock climbing and it's still going strong.

http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-4338835-1233258?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gigabeat&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

I have the F40 from that page, which has a version of Rockbox available for it, but have a look through them all. I'm extremely pleased with my purchase, although to be honest I wish I'd waited for an S. The newer versions contain a radio as well as doing video etc. There's a community site at http://www.mygigabeat.com if you're interested.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I had a third gen iPod before getting a free nano. Even though the Nano is only a few gigs, I love it to death and never touch my 10Gig iPod anymore. There's really something to be said for being able to drop your nano in your pocket like it was just a set of car keys or something.

In conclusion, I recommend a Nano over a "real" iPod. Can't comment on Nano vs. Sansa.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Might as well point out here that this week, Best Buy Canada has the Samsung YP-K3JQB (catchy name, eh?) 2gb player on sale with a free armband for $120.

Same size as a nano, plays ogg and mpeg, drag and drop, even has an FM tuner.

And looks slicker, IMO:
    http://www.samsung.ca/k3/
    10085606.jpg

Really, a pretty awesome deal. If I didn't already own a nano, which I've had for a year, I'd totally go for it.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?langid=EN&sku_id=BDL10001170&CMP=ILC-BBY_hmpage_slide1#

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    atkbob wrote: »
    Thanks for all your comments. I got the $300 price for the nano from the link in my first post. I'm looking at the 30 gig iPod Video ($300 CDN), and I think you guys may have a point. However, if I were to get one, what else would I need? Would I need a case and new headphones? What about a warranty?

I have an 8gig Nano. I really like it, but $250 is a premium (I got a bit of a discount being University staff). In addition to the size, the nano has the solid state drive advantage over the similarly priced 30gig ipod video. I don't use video at all. But it all depends on what you want it for.

I would definitely recommend pair of headphones. The ipod earbuds are terrible and a pair of decent headphones makes a huge difference.

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Might as well point out here that this week, Best Buy Canada has the Samsung YP-K3JQB (catchy name, eh?) 2gb player on sale with a free armband for $120.

Same size as a nano, plays ogg and mpeg, drag and drop, even has an FM tuner.

And looks slicker, IMO:

Really, a pretty awesome deal. If I didn't already own a nano, which I've had for a year, I'd totally go for it.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/EN&sku_id=BDL10001170&CMP=ILC-BBY_hmpage_slide1#

Looks like there's no way to feel out the buttons on that though. You kind of really do want an MP3 player that you can operate without looking at it. Being able to reach over and push pause on my ipod without taking it off my armband or pulling it out of my pocket is a good thing.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    this (cowon d2) 23778_F.jpg is the best flash mp3 player current available IMO. 4 gigs but expandable with sd/sdhc cards. Fm tuner/recorder, touch screen, video playback. Supports all sorts of audio codecs. latest firmware added a notepad feature to the touchscreen so you can write stuff down. Much better sound quality than ipods, tv out and the screen quality is insane, it puts the video ipods to shame.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    this (cowon d2) 23778_F.jpg is the best flash mp3 player current available IMO. 4 gigs but expandable with sd/sdhc cards. Fm tuner/recorder, touch screen, video playback. Supports all sorts of audio codecs. latest firmware added a notepad feature to the touchscreen so you can write stuff down. Much better sound quality than ipods, tv out and the screen quality is insane, it puts the video ipods to shame.
    Holy fucking shit, you've opened my eyes to the world of awesome.

Go with this instead of whatever.

core tactic on
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have an mpio 4gb Titan and I love it. Was way cheaper than any ipod of similar size and does everything they can and more. Video, pictures, FM tuner that is actually worthwhile. I got mine on sale at BB way back around Boxing Day I think it was.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    s_86 wrote: »
    1. The battery type is lithium polymer. How is that a factor, and how is it in comparison with other battery types?

Li-po's are by far the best battery type available today. They're an offshoot of Li-on's, if you're familiar, and have therefore much the same attributes.

- No memory effect like NiMH's and NiCDs
    - Shorter charge times, longer battery life

The only downsides of Li-on's and Li-po's is that you should A) NEVER allow them to reach 0% capacity. It's bad for their lifespan, always keep them charged up, and never push them when the player gets so low it starts shutting itself off. and B) They have actual lifespans. After 5-6 years, you may notice that the player is starting to have a shorter and shorter battery life.

But that's the same for cellphones, iPods, digital cameras, and any other new consumer device in use today. They pretty much all use Li-po/Li-on these days.

2. When I want to transfer songs/photos, can I just drag and drop them as if it was a thumbdrive, or do I have to use a program (a program like itunes).
    If anyone can help, that'd be awesome. Thanks.

Both, according to Futureshop web reviews.
    DAAAAAMN, 5/22/2007
    Reviewer: Miss M, Victoriaaa
    Okay so I've had my eye on this particular product for quite some time and kept up to date with the reviews on it. Everything you read is true. This sleek little device is encredible with its sound, appearance, imaging and options and its definatly better than any other mp3 player I've ever listened to or played around with. Its a better and cheaper version of the Ipod nano by far. One thing that my sister and I found out about it was that Future Shop only stocks the Black version. The green and cherry red are only available online, so warning to those of you who wanted either one.

Amazing mp3 player, 5/17/2007
    Reviewer: B, Nanaimo
    I bought this player a little over a week ago and have used it immediately after being charged. The sound is amazing just dont use the headphones it comes with, the battery life is great 20+ hours and still has all four bars, its simple to use and the software it comes with actually has a purpose although you may not use it - you may like to use the drag and drop method. I was trying to decide whether to go for the Nano or not, and it wasnt until I actually went into Futureshop to see the two side by side that I went for the Yp-K3 no buttons just a sensor, bright screen and simple to use. By far the best purchase too because it was way cheaper than the Nano. It is just too hard to describe it in words. Buy it and you will see what I mean.

Fantastic MP3 Player, 5/17/2007
    Reviewer: Stephen, Halifax, NS
    This player is really great, it was designed to play music and that's what it does very well. Comparing it to the iPod Nano, the K3 is slightly larger, has the same battery life, has an FM tuner, and costs less than the Nano. In my opinion, the graphics, menu screen, and the player itself are a lot more stylish then the iPod. So if you're looking for an easy-to-use player on the PC, you don't want any unnecessary features, and want something that is better than the Nano, then get the Samsung K3.

awesome, 5/4/2007
    Reviewer: Shiram, Montréal
    Awesome little device we have here in the samsung k3. Not only does it look beautiful the pictures dont do it justice but it also sounds beautiful. I picked this up since my last mp3 player broke down, and noticed a clear difference in sound, although i had to choose a setting on the equalizer to get that sound. Menu naviguation is fairly intuitive and the touch screen buttons are easy to use. I was looking at ipods, but this model definately seems better, and cheaper as well.

Samsung YP-K3 Rocks, 5/3/2007
    Reviewer: Renee, Ottawa
    Bought this MP3 player after my Creative Zen V Plus was stolen. Decided not to go with another Zen V because the unit froze up. All I can say is wow The sound is terrific, very rich, the interface is easy to navigate and it all comes in a very slick package with a high cool factor. Good value for money, too.

Samsung K3, 4/10/2007
    Reviewer: Cal, Vancouver
    Looks great and sounds great If you purchase this look into upgrading your headphones, it makes the experience much better The touch screen is quite sensitive but after a little while it becomes easy to navigate. The firmware is easy to use. The Samsung software to upload music is okay to use but I prefer using itunes. As for sound quality with a good set of earphones the K3 puts the nano to shame. The units face is easly smudged up with finger prints but the display is very cool. I highly suggest this unit to anyone. Having owned both the nano and the k3 i say the k3 wins hands down.

IT'S SIMPLY BEST IN IT'S PRICE RANGE....., 4/10/2007
    Reviewer: THAKUR......, OTTAWA
    It's sound quality is better than other flash based mp3 players. Also battery life and extra features with great lookgreat price make it's winner.

Awesome and Easy to Use, 4/10/2007
    Reviewer: ADO24, Ontario
    I was looking for an mp3 player that was simple to use and a decent price. I bought the 2 GB one and its great, easy to use you just set up the program and you do everything through windows media player. I found it to be a quick set up and the price is pretty good. I have to say this is also a really nice looking piece of equipment. It definately gives Ipod a run for its money.

The sound quality certainly seems to be getting alot of praise...

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've heard nothing but minor annoyances with the Sansa, from problems getting it to play folders of MP3s in track order to questionable sound quality to the stability of the firmware. I'd say avoid.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    On mac it creates .1 KB files on your mp3 player which have to be deleted on a Windows/non mac computer.

This is annoying. The solution is quite simple, however: FinderCleaner

Toss that in your dock and use it to eject the player when you're done loading it up. I use it on my Walkman phone to get rid of all the little ._files and it works great.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is the Cowon able to run any homebrew? That would send me over the edge of how possibly happy I can be about a music player.

core tactic on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What about just getting an armband for your Video Ipod so you can jog with it? I've seen that before.

Because these people aren't terribly intelligent and fail to realise that a hard drive has moveable parts and you'll break you iPod, they're fine for walking with but if you run with it you'll screw up the hard drive. If you go to apple's store you notice that they don't sell iPod sized arm bands because of this problem.

Nanos are also a bunch lighter to run with.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    For the curious, I got a Sansa e280. Loving it so far, but I must admit, the controls were initially confusing, as the instructions neglect to tell you how to do a few things. I figured them out though. The wheel is great too, I like it better than the iPod click-wheel.

atkbob on
    atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I picked up the Sansa e280 for a trip back east as I desperately needed something aside from the generic "plane music" for the 8-hour jaunt. Oh, and the in-flight movie was Catch and Release, which I would have been forced to walk out on if that was my only entertainment option.

But I digress...

I found the player to be generally great in that it plays music cleanly and clearly. It works just fine as a thumb drive (except for the proprietary interface, naturally), and you can direct-copy music over instead of going through some maddening application. Viewing pictures while listening to music is fun, and I'm sure the video would be nifty, but I haven't tried it out. The FM radio works, but Good Lord, why would I be listening to the purile airwaves of America today when I could be listening to my own music? Maybe someday I'll listen to a ball game, I guess.

For what it does, though, it does well. I can listen to it when I run or am at work. In our family car, every member has their own playlist which we cycle through every day on the "shuffle" functionk. At home, we've got the docking station plugged into our home theatre, so we can pump the music through the house. Works great. I haven't lost any files, and it hasn't shown any signs of wear. I'm sure this could be done with just about any mp3 player, but it can be done with Sansa for under $300 for the 8 Gb player and accessories.

However, it does have a few quirks.

Problem 1: recording anything through the built-in microphone produces a background noise as shrill and irritating as a dentist's drill, rendering that "feature" unusable. Does yours do the same?

Problem 2: Sansa tech support appears to be run by a rare species of English-speaking baboon. First, they told me my firmware version was current, when it wasn't. When I asked them about the recording noise, it took them half an hour of fact checking to conclude: "oh, it's supposed to do that. It's just a 'feature', not a primary function." Sadly, they did not respond to my followup question of, "so you are admitting this thing is a piece of junk?"

Problem 3: Playlists are difficult, but not impossible, to manage. I was dearly hoping I could import my WinAmp playlists, but no dice. The only successful method I found was to use Windows Media Player 10 to import my WinAmp playlist, then sync it to the device. In order to change a playlist, I am not able to simply re-sync it. Laws, no! I have to delete the actual playlist file off the device, then re-sync it fresh. Pain in the neck. I wish there was some "standard method" for dealing with playlists, but it appears their documentation was authored by the freaks of evolution that have infested tech-support.

Problem 4: relatively small, relatively unresponsive buttons. The power switch officially takes to punches to get it to power off (one to get to main menu, then another to shut off). Although the ring control is awesome with its tactile feedback and luminesence, the play/pause, ff, rwd, and mystery button (where stop should be) really take some on-target presses with a fingernail to get working. Trying to get those to work for you while the unit is docked in a FM car player can be terrifying, but no more dangerous than, say, talking on a cell phone, drinking coffee, and driving simultaneously.

Wow. I totally didn't plan on sending in a draft of War and Peace 2007 about this player, but I gotta say I sure do like having my choice of music with me wherever I go. And for those of you who would say:

tl;dr: viable alternative to the iPod, but expect to put in some hours getting it to work for you on your own terms.

Oh, and one last thought. Why the Sansa instead of the iPod or Zune? I simply mistrust large organizations. When I buy an mp3 player, I want to buy an mp3 player. I don't want to become some part of their music-marketing paradigm, I don't want to hear about their other products, and I certainly don't want them to assume that I am going to be wedded to their software and operating system by extension. Thus, the Sansa.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    slacktron wrote: »
    POAST
    Wow, ok:

Problem 1: Yeah, there's a bit of a ring, but it's not nearly as bad as your description.

Problem 2: I wouldn't know, but I've read reviews that the tech support was pretty good.

Problem 3: I normally use WMP, so it's not really a problem for me, but the online manual only talks about WMP, not WinAmp or other programs, so you may be SOL.

Problem 4: I think that the buttons are great, a nice size and responsive, but I have thin, long fingers. The power works fine too. You're supposed to hold it for 2 seconds to turn it off, not press it twice.

I got the Sansa because, looking at the bang-for-buck I would get, it was a solid deal. I wanted a small, durable player with a grab-bag of feature so I would never say "damn, I wish I would watch a video/listen to the radio/look at some pictures/record something etc. right now". For the price I paid, I won't be anal about keeping in its case or not tossing it on my bed or wiping the screen every 5 minutes. If I was really serious about watching videos or if I was an audiophile, I'd consider other players, but as a casual guy who wants something to listen to and watch the odd clip, the Sansa is right up my alley.

atkbob on
    atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Blaket wrote: »

Because these people aren't terribly intelligent and fail to realise that a hard drive has moveable parts and you'll break you iPod, they're fine for walking with but if you run with it you'll screw up the hard drive. If you go to apple's store you notice that they don't sell iPod sized arm bands because of this problem.

Yeah, running with a hard drive mp3 player isn't the best thing you can do.

I got a Shuffle for when I exercise.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    On mac it creates .1 KB files on your mp3 player which have to be deleted on a Windows/non mac computer.

This is annoying. The solution is quite simple, however: FinderCleaner

Toss that in your dock and use it to eject the player when you're done loading it up. I use it on my Walkman phone to get rid of all the little ._files and it works great.

I knew posting on the interwebb would come in handy. Much thanks.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    if it is between the e200 series and the nano, it's a really tough choice.

I have both in the house(I have an e250 for working out, + to compliment/supliment my dying 20GB 4G iPod), and my dad has the 8GB nano.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. the sansa can do voice recording(not good quality though), has microSD expansion, larger screen, fm tuner and I think looks nicer than the nano. But, playlist support sucks, while it *can* play video, it's one of those features they threw in because they could, not because it's any good. the buttons around the wheel are small and kinda hard to press, and I like the UI of iPods better.

The iPod nano has the seamless integration with iTunes, awesome playlist support(from within iTunes), thinner and sleeker(but not necessarily better looking), and I think is generally easier to use. The downers is the small screen, lack of fm tuner or voice recording, and no expansion. The small screen kills me though, especially after going having the sansa, looking at the screen on my dad's nano is a bit painful.

I chose the sansa over the nano because while I like iPods, the sansa has more features for less money, and for me, it is used for workouts only since I don't want to speed up the death of my already dying 4G iPod. if my iPod dies before they come out with the 6G iPod, then I'll be able to use the sansa as my main mp3 player for a while, but not permanently.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    End of a CenturyEnd of a Century Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does anyone know how reliable these units are? My 4G 40GB iPod just bricked after not even 3 years of ownership. I want to get a flash player as I imagine no moving parts will ensure the thing lasts longer. So, anyone who've had these for a while had any problems with them?

End of a Century on
    Wii: 1238 6891 1706 8984.
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

For some reason people don't seem smart enough to think a disc spinning at 7900rpm inside of a box, shouldn't be moved up and down, or side to side quickly.

Shade on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shade wrote: »

For some reason people don't seem smart enough to think a disc spinning at 7900rpm inside of a box, shouldn't be moved up and down, or side to side quickly.

4200RPM. And they have lots of protection on all sides. They're a whole lot tougher than you're probably thinking.

Most people don't know what's inside an iPod, much less why it shouldn't be jostled around regularly. They ran with radios, cassette players, Sony skip proof Discmans, and older flash MP3 players, why not an iPod? Calling everyone who isn't familiar with the internal workings of an iPod "[not] smart enough" is a bit arrogant.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shade wrote: »

4200RPM. And they have lots of protection on all sides. They're a whole lot tougher than you're probably thinking.

Most people don't know what's inside an iPod, much less why it shouldn't be jostled around regularly. They ran with radios, cassette players, Sony skip proof Discmans, and older flash MP3 players, why not an iPod? Calling everyone who isn't familiar with the internal workings of an iPod "[not] smart enough" is a bit arrogant.

I say that because people treat them like shit then wonder why they fail or get pissed off when their warranty is voided. Also most people I talk to aren't smart enough to realize you shouldn't take them jogging, snowboarding, skateboarding, or mountain biking even when I flat out tell them that they need to get a flash based one. They just get the bigger, and HDD based one anyway. Then 2 months later they come in and demand a new one under Mfg warranty, so I get to tell them to talk to Apple directly(as per Apple's policy), unless they have a service plan, and I get a line like "So you don't honor the products you sell?".

Shade on