Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

GameCube Recommendations

90X Double Side90X Double Side Registered User
edited February 2007 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
This is our list of recommended games for the GameCube, for those with too much money to spend, looking at which console to buy next, or otherwise unable to make their own decisions. Please comment on games to be added; I will add new recommendations to the "Please comment on" list so that everyone can give their opinion of whether it should be a recommended purchase, rental, or not a recommendation at all. Since these threads are still new, comments as to moving games off the existing lists (down to rentals or removed altogether) are also welcome until things get more settled.

Recommended exclusive games:
Animal Crossing
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Cubivore
Donkey Konga
Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
F-Zero GX
Ikaruga
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Pac Man Vs.
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tales of Symphonia
Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Party Games

Recommended exclusive rentals:
Luigi's Mansion
Star Fox Adventures
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Recommended multi-platform games:
Beyond Good & Evil
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Mortal Kombat: Deception
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Sonic Mega Collection
Soul Calibur 2
SSX 3
TimeSplitters 2
Tom Clancey’s Splinter Cell
Tom Clancey’s Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2

Recommended multi-platform rentals:

Please comment on:
    Beach Spikers

90X Double Side on

• spoilerspoiler Registered User
    edited November 2004
    you forgot kingpin: true crime.

GOLDENSHOWERPOWER
    GOLDENSHOWERPOWER
    GOLDENSHOWERPOWER
    GOLDENSHOWERPOWER
    GOLDENSHOWERPOWER
  • 90X Double Side90X Double Side Registered User
    edited November 2004
    spoiler wrote:
    you forgot kingpin: true crime.

You forgot Poland.

• SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Great thread idea. I'm considering picking up a GC for christmas and was wondering what games to check out.

Though, I have a question about Legend of Zelda: Four swords. Is it worth playing solo mode? Or does the game only shine in the multiplayer. Also, can you play multiplayer without the GBA?

• BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Gotta add Beach Spikers. Excellent Sega volleyball game.

Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Mega Man Network Transmission and P.N.03 should be on there in some capacity. I think they are both solid buys but they aren't for everyone so maybe they should go on the rental list.

• CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Needs more Tony Hawk titles... They're worth a rental at least.

0liDg.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I don't think I saw Viewtiful Joe. :?

l8kt.png
  • CSaraquelCSaraquel Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Lost Kingdoms is fantastic and should certainly be on the list somewhere. It's shortness suggests the rental list, but it's current low price and rarity make it unlikely that it could be had in that form...

as long as it is somewhere i'll be happy though. LK II I haven't played, but it is by all accounts even better and longer - anyone else want to comment?

• Quantum JuvenalisQuantum Juvenalis Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Add LoZ: Collector's Edition and Viewtiful Joe to the exclusive list, as well as Spider-Man 2 and X-Men Legends to the multi-platform list. P.N. 03 also deserves an honorable mention.

Does anyone have an opinion of Freedom Fighters?

5b94bb03.gif
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
    edited November 2004
    Add LoZ: Collector's Edition and Viewtiful Joe to the exclusive list, as well as Spider-Man 2 and X-Men Legends to the multi-platform list. P.N. 03 also deserves an honorable mention.

Does anyone have an opinion of Freedom Fighters?

Freedom Fighters was fucking awesome on the PC and universally under-appreciated. I'd assume the same applies to the GameCube.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • forbis316forbis316 Registered User
    edited November 2004
    EDIT!

Beach Spikers
    Treat like Pac-Man Vs.... if you don't have friends, don't think about it.

Burnout 2
    Yeah, it's not Burnout 3, but on the Cube, you take what you can get.

Sega Soccer Slam
    Ridiculously fun multiplayer.

The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
    Though I can't imagine anyone with a Cube not already owning it.

Wave Race: Blue Storm
    Just get it.

The two Sega titles really can only be justified if you have multiplayer in mind.

If you've got someone to co-op with, Rogue Squadron III is awesome. Basically it is Rogue Squadron II, except you play everything in co-op.

• impsethimpseth Registered User
    edited November 2004
    Thought I'd throw in Resident Evil 2, 3, 4 and Code: Veronica X

Sigs are fun.
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User
    edited November 2004
    I think Custom Robo should definitely go down as an advised rental.

• CheTheRevolutionaryCheTheRevolutionary Registered User
    edited December 2004
    I realise that Paper Mario 2 and Tales of Symphonia are both great games, but I am still undecided as too which I should buy. Perhaps all of you could make up my mind, if that's not too much to ask.

• xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    I'm considering adding Alien Hominid to my collection. I played the online flash and it is ridiculously hard for me. Can anyone tell me what the GC version is like? I lose a life every 10 seconds in the flash game even though all I do is keep jumping to dodge the bullets. If I can not totally suck at the online flash game and the online flash game is a good indicator of what to expect from the console version, then I will pick up this highly praised, not-made-by-big developer/publisher game.

(I used the search topic but at this moment it is currently disabled by alpha.)

Edit: This page has no traffic whatsoever :|

434354-1.png
  • Krunch XPKrunch XP Registered User
    edited December 2004
    Can someone type up a list of GC Shmups and Beat em' ups for me?
    T'would be much appreciated.

edited December 2004
    I realise that Paper Mario 2 and Tales of Symphonia are both great games, but I am still undecided as too which I should buy. Perhaps all of you could make up my mind, if that's not too much to ask.

Just like '???' from Majora's Mask (the hand in the toilet), you need paper.

edited December 2004
    I just got Freedom Fighters, and it is excellent. Highly recommended.

5b94bb03.gif
  • JellyMeetsJamJellyMeetsJam Registered User
    edited December 2004
    xta wrote:
    I'm considering adding Alien Hominid to my collection. I played the online flash and it is ridiculously hard for me. Can anyone tell me what the GC version is like? I lose a life every 10 seconds in the flash game even though all I do is keep jumping to dodge the bullets. If I can not totally suck at the online flash game and the online flash game is a good indicator of what to expect from the console version, then I will pick up this highly praised, not-made-by-big developer/publisher game.

I found the GCN version much easier. I'd put it on the rent list though. A little short for a buy. Great fun though, consol controls make the game even better than it is on Newgrounds.

• xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    xta wrote:

I found the GCN version much easier. I'd put it on the rent list though. A little short for a buy. Great fun though, consol controls make the game even better than it is on Newgrounds.

That's good news. I may pick it up then.

The online flash is ridiculously hard, yet fun.

434354-1.png
  • SilentJamesSilentJames Registered User
    edited January 2005
    I might as well be the first to say go on and throw RE 4, yeah it might not be out for another 3 days, but come on, we ALL know its a must own.

As for the multiplatforms, I assume there is a reason for the lack of Madden/ EA/ESPN sports titles. This may be suited for mult- rental, though I feel otherwise, XIII. I love this game, from the soundtrack to Adam West's best acting work EVER! Plus the multiplayer game where you chase the death-midget around is quite possibly the most surreal experience in a shooter ever. Hell put it in the must-owns.

And I will again proclaim my love for Baten Kaitos--every cuber MUST own this game.

vgsig.jpg
    edited January 2005
    I love this game, from the soundtrack to Adam West's best acting work EVER!

I'm not sure you can top:
    Adam West wrote:
    I love this job more than I love taffy ... and I'm a man who enjoys his taffy.

edited January 2005
    Alien Hominid is a brilliant game, it should be added to the list.

5b94bb03.gif
  • The Geebs That Got BigtimedThe Geebs That Got Bigtimed Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited January 2005
    Resident Evil 4

Pb6cUzZ.pngTeRnRlj.pnglBMZaaL.pnglm0oV4l.pngsw4UHsU.png
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Alien Hominid is a brilliant game, it should be added to the list.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hawks66hawks66 Registered User
    edited February 2005
    whoa whoa whoa... you have wario ware as a reccomended game "i hated it"

but not any of the Mario parties?! THE best Multi Player Mini game game in existance. EVER, ever ever in the history of video games?

MARIO PARTY! for hours of 4 player goodness.

bobbandtimtiny.jpg
  • crawdadcrawdad Registered User
    edited March 2005
    How could any one for get

Phantasy Star Online EpI&II
    Best online game when played with the right ppl.
    under Multiplatform

Why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free?
  • Captain CanuckCaptain Canuck Registered User
    edited March 2005
    You should probably put Timesplitters: Future Perfect in place of TS2 on there

shadeodare_sig.png
  • BadAssMonkeeBadAssMonkee Registered User
    edited February 2006
    You should probably put Timesplitters: Future Perfect in place of TS2 on there

not exactly, i mean, its a matter of opinion. tsfp is a bloody good game but you cant beat the classic. maybe just mention the two? i dunno, dual flares is awesomely awesome.

signature.jpg
  • kobakoba Registered User
    edited February 2006
    SSBM
    if only I had two more controllers
    or something

eat meaty cumm filled TACo
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2006
    Star Fox Assault is the classic air battles you love mixed in with some really fast third-person shooting.

I think it should be rented first.

• NeoflyNeofly Registered User
    edited April 2006
    I might as well be the first to say go on and throw RE 4, yeah it might not be out for another 3 days, but come on, we ALL know its a must own.

As for the multiplatforms, I assume there is a reason for the lack of Madden/ EA/ESPN sports titles. This may be suited for mult- rental, though I feel otherwise, XIII. I love this game, from the soundtrack to Adam West's best acting work EVER! Plus the multiplayer game where you chase the death-midget around is quite possibly the most surreal experience in a shooter ever. Hell put it in the must-owns.

And I will again proclaim my love for Baten Kaitos--every cuber MUST own this game.

I must post the opposite view.

I bought Baten Kaitos, and it is the worst game I played in a long, long time (since Home Alone in the SNES).

-The plot is just a big cliche. Have you played Final Fantasy? It's the same thing.

-The battle system may look like interesting at first, but quickly you will realize how shallow it is.

-Yes, the graphics are very detailed, but the art director had no idea what he was doing. Every prerendered screen is full of little details, in a tacky way. They don't know the meaning of the word ellegance.

-In previous RPGs with prerendered backgrounds (like FF7, 8 and 9 or Chrono Cross) they put some rooms where you can see your character in a close view. Not in Baten Kaitos. You will be lucky if Kalas is bigger than Super Mario on your screen. This makes the very detailed character models a complete waste. You will only see them in battle.

-Also, I'm more than sure that the Gamecube could handle to show the full party walking around. But no, they are all inside Kalas.

-The music is forgetable.

-The voice acting is annoying.

-The characters are nothing new. You have angsty teen looking for revenge, mysterious girl trying to save the world, big strong friend, mysterious hot woman, and your standard 'Oh no, my empire is evil, I will join your party!' traitor. Mizuti is the only thing semi original.

Whatever you do, stay away from Baten Kaitos, which in japanese must mean piece of shit. I've never seen anything done in such a comitee mandated way, unoriginal and dissapointing.

• solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    This has a disturbing lack of burnout 2. Yes 3 is probably the best, 4 can go fuck itself but those options arnt available for cube owners.

XBOX Live Tag: Solsovly
  • Motzy5Motzy5 Registered User
    edited July 2006
    Im getting tired of mario party 2 for the N64 at my cottage and im looking to get one of the newer ones for NGC. How does Mario Party 7 sound?

• Evening MusukoEvening Musuko Registered User
    edited October 2006
    I recommend Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation.

Great multiplayer game, but the single player mode is fun despite it's short length.

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to find it now. The only places that I've seen it recently are EB (gutted) and Blockbuster (as a rental). Since it was released about 3 years ago it should be pretty cheap if you're lucky to find it.

grayskysigif6.jpg
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So for the longest time, Chibi-Robo was $50 new. This week I went to Best Buy and it is down to $15. I recommend it, it's a quirky little game in the vein of Katamari Damacy, and for $15 it's totally worth it.

Even if your friends call you gay.

• SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I nominate Simpsons Hit and Run. I played hte hell out of it when I got my GC; sure it's not console exclusive and when I beat the game I sold it to someone else, but it was fun to play.

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what? This is crap. We need a thread that has a OP maintained by someone who is ALIVE.

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]