As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Football: Summer Transfers

napfoxnapfox Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Discussion of any major football club/player is encouraged. Post any transfer rumours or finished deals and their details that you come across. Avoid quoting The Sun, we all know that shite is total rubbish.

My big question: What are the big changes in Liverpool going to be?

It seems these players are leaving:
Bellamy
Fowler
Gonzalez
Hyypia (he claims he has no plans to leave... he might anyway)
Cisse
Sissoko
Dudek
There may be more.

Rumours tie David Villa to Liverpool, suggesting that he wants to play for Rafa Benitez. Voronin already signed. Perhaps some interest in Huntelaar out there? Suggestions of Darren Bent from the Spurs. A new back will be brought in likely... as well as a new winger.

What sides will change the most? Who is well sorted for next year? Who is buggered?

ynwa
napfox on

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My questions are two-fold and tied to Aston Villa:

A) How's Bellamy look?
    B) Who the hell is Nigel Reo-Coker and why do the Villatalk boards alternate between 'we need him' and 'ASS'?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If Fat Freddy fucking Shepherd gets out of hospital and Newcastle United, then we're going to have some serious spending power courtesy of mysterious Mike Ashley. Fingers crossed we can get Ben Haim and Baines in, but beyond that I don't know where Allardyce will go. Hopefully we can really rebuild the side and challenge for Europe again.

Walrus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, Bellamy is rubbish. But he is also very veyr fast rubbish. He loks dreadful on the ball though, his touch has been spotty, his vision worse, and his finishing leaves something to be desired. However, bottom of the table teasm would do very well to pick him up, as he will score counter-attack goals.

Coker is a Tottenham midfielder. He is English, and I think he lived in Sierra Leone as a kid. They almost put him on the English World Cup Side... but then they din't because he is not that special. Right now, he is openly admitting that he wants an offer from Arsenal. He has been tied to a few clubs... including Villa. Villa supporters should calm down, as I dont see him saving or destroying your midfield line, in the rare event he does come to Villa. Spurs want 9 mil for him, and I don't think he is worth it. We shall see.

**edit** when I say Tottenham, or the Spurs... I am lying to you. They are another club interested in coker, he plays for West Ham

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    - Luca Toni has moved to Bayern Munich for 10 million Euros.
    - Stuttgart has signed Basturk on a free from Hertha Berlin.
    - Marcell Jansen has moved to Bayern Munich. (Talk about depth on the left back position.)
    - Manuel Friederich has moved to Bayer Leverkusen.
    - Drobny signed with Hertha Berlin.
    - Jermaine Jones has moved to Schalke 04 from Eintracht Frankfurt.
    - Mike Hanke has moved to Hannover 96 from Vfl Wolfsburg.
    - Rafael Van der Vaart has rejected a move to Bayern Munich.
    - Bayern Munich is linked with Ujafalusi from Fiorentina.
    - Quaresma rejected a move to Bayern Munich.
    - Kevin Prince-Boateng has been linked to move to Man City.
    - Mohamed Zidan has moved from relegated Mainz to Hamburg SV.

Some Bundesliga news for you lot.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    napfox wrote: »
    Well, Bellamy is rubbish. But he is also very veyr fast rubbish. He loks dreadful on the ball though, his touch has been spotty, his vision worse, and his finishing leaves something to be desired. However, bottom of the table teasm would do very well to pick him up, as he will score counter-attack goals.

Coker is a Tottenham midfielder. He is English, and I think he lived in Sierra Leone as a kid. They almost put him on the English World Cup Side... but then they din't because he is not that special. Right now, he is openly admitting that he wants an offer from Arsenal. He has been tied to a few clubs... including Villa. Villa supporters should calm down, as I dont see him saving or destroying your midfield line, in the rare event he does come to Villa. Spurs want 9 mil for him, and I don't think he is worth it. We shall see.

Reo-Coker plays for West Ham. Not Tottenham.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Where do you think Quaresma will go? A lot of clubs have been yammering on about him.

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sorry, you are right about coker... Tottenham really wants him though... and now I look silly.

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not Man U after they've nabbed both Anderson and Nani.

Walrus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Where do you think Quaresma will go? A lot of clubs have been yammering on about him.

Honestly, Quaresma will want to go somewhere big (and somewhere warm) so IMO, the list down to Barca (a return for him), Madrid, Sevilla, Inter or Chelsea (not a warm climate though for either team). My bet is on somewhere in Spain. I don't see him back at Barca, but I can see him a club like Sevilla or Valencia.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Puscifer wrote: »

Honestly, Quaresma will want to go somewhere big (and somewhere warm) so IMO, the list down to Barca (a return for him), Madrid, Sevilla, Inter or Chelsea (not a warm climate though for either team). My bet is on somewhere in Spain. I don't see him back at Barca, but I can see him a club like Sevilla or Valencia.

Valencia would make sense. I wonder if he would play for Rafa if Liverpool was willing to pay his fee.

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    No, because Rafa doesn't like flashy, prima-donna players which is the reputation that Quaresma carries with him. It's why Rafa got rid of Cisse (one of the reasons), got rid of Diouf, etc.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Anyways, other rumours include West Ham having tabled an 8.5 million pound bid on Scott Parket from Newcastle. And Muntari has moved to Pompey. Or Portsmouth for those that aren't down with the slang.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    True. I still think Liverpool should keep Cisse. He is the best quality in striking they have got. Rafa achieves fairly well in Europe, but I disagree with loads of his decisions. (note: his decision to play Zenden in the final)

But, you are right, there is little hope for Liverpool to get the sort of quality striker I want... Rafa is going to want Darren Bent, because Rafa is a motherfucker.

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hmm. I don't know. He might just go back to Spain and grab you a youngster. Or he might be smart and get David Villa.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If he gets David Villa I will tattoo "rafa" on my goddamn arm.

Tevez is evidently coming to Liverpool... according to http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/

Torres to Chelseaat 20 mil

Heskey to Fulham

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I am aware that website is certainly no more reliable than The Sun, my hatred for that rag is irrational, and since this is a football rumour discussion, you really can post from any source you want... do your best nto to just straight lie though, eh?

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I don't know about Tevez coming to Liverpool. Expensive and money could be spent smartly somewhere else. Tevez seems like a more suitable fit elsewhere.

Felix Magath has now been appointed as coach and sporting director of Vfl Wolfsburg aka. FC Volkswagen.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    We are not selling Berbatov*

* please god, we must not sell Berbatov.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You're not going to sell Berbatov, but I think Spurs fans are really making too much out of him when he hasn't proven that he isn't going to be a one-season wonder. Give it till Christmas and if he's such a beast, then he'll warrant having all this talk of "best forward" in the EPL about him.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Berbatov was held back all season by a lacklustre performance from the rest of the team behind him. Now we've signed an extremely promising young left back, all we really need now is an out and out left winger, and no goddamn injury problems, and I think you'll see Berbatov, and the team perform wonders.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Huh, Manchester United signed Hargreaves. As much as I hate them as a team, I must say when they're playing even halfway decent, they are a fun team to watch.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If Ronaldo has another season like he's just had, they're going to be awesome to watch.

And I hate them

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I seriously came into this thread thinking it was the other football. Now I wish I hadn't.

I like Arsenal, 'cause thier uniforms are slick. That is the extent of my knowledge of soccer.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I automatically hate you.

I also really hope the rumours of Henri going are true. Arsenal play so much worse when Henri isn't there.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Silmaril wrote: »
    I also really hope the rumours of Henri going are true. Arsenal play so much worse when Henri isn't there.
    I didn't know his name was pronounced "On-ree" for the longest time.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    He won't go. He settled it last season when he said he would stay with Arsenal for the rest of his career and he's not one to go back on his word.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Speaking of Arsenal, how does Theo Walcott look?

We lost the Fox Soccer Channel at the house here earlier this year, and being an American, I don't have much access to actually see any of the games.

The only real football fix I get now is playing FIFA 07 - Arsenal is my franchise team, and the reason I ask is that within a season Walcott became a fucking monster.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    Abdul the TerribleAbdul the Terrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Torres to Chelsea at 20 mil

I hope to god not. I've been hearing alot of talk about Chelsea and how they have the money to buy anyone.

Torres is very determined to play in his original team, but I really think he's hunger for wins is getting bigger and Atlético isn't the place to get them.

But I really hope goes for something interesting, other than Chelsea.

Abdul the Terrible on
    Ashban1.jpg
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    His chances would slim at Chelsea, who are now developing a reputation for crapifying good footballers. With Sheva (must be played to justify the £30m price tag), Drogba and Kalou, he wouldn't get consistant first team football as he would with other clubs in need of strikers.

I have a feeling he'll go to Barca, seeing as Eto'o still seems unsettled, meaning they made need to replace with a good out and out striker.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    No Cars Go wrote: »
    His chances would slim at Chelsea, who are now developing a reputation for crapifying good footballers. With Sheva (must be played to justify the £30m price tag), Drogba and Kalou, he wouldn't get consistant first team football as he would with other clubs in need of strikers.

I have a feeling he'll go to Barca, seeing as Eto'o still seems unsettled, meaning they made need to replace with a good out and out striker.

I really don't know where he's going to be in year or two, but Real Madrid wouldn't be a bad guess. Seeing that they just let go both Ronaldo and Beckham. But then again I'd like to see Real Madrid not to count on high profile players in coming years and work as a team.

Abdul the Terrible on
    Ashban1.jpg
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

What do we think of the possibility that Shevchenko would go back to Milan on loan? I'll try to dig up a link.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Walcott had shoulder surgery near the end of the season, so we haven't seen as much of him as I would like.

Arsenal are in dire need of strikers. Baptista sucked ass, and thankfully Wenger is letting him go back to Madrid. Adebayor was utter shit at Monaco, and he's still a Peter Crouch without the latter's control. Really, the gunners are in need of a Bergkamp/Pires type. I also happen to dislike Hleb - he is indecisive on the ball and probably gave the ball away more than anything this season. Aliadiere is also total shit. Van Persie, and Mr TH14 are just not enough. Especially considering that Henry is not getting any younger and that VP has a tendency to get injured easily.

Defensively, if Gallas and Toure stay healthy, we should be alright. Eboue needs to stop being a total bitch and stop flopping all over the gd place. Djourou, Fabregas, Gilberto and Rosicky are going to have to be good enough to maintain the midfield. At least, they're better than Fat Frank.

Kinda pissed that Ribery decided to go to Germany.

PS: I hate Chelsea. Here's to hoping Mourinho gets the boot and Cashley dies to an army of rabid wombats.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Raakam wrote: »
    Walcott had shoulder surgery near the end of the season, so we haven't seen as much of him as I would like.

Arsenal are in dire need of strikers. Baptista sucked ass, and thankfully Wenger is letting him go back to Madrid. Adebayor was utter shit at Monaco, and he's still a Peter Crouch without the latter's control. Really, the gunners are in need of a Bergkamp/Pires type. I also happen to dislike Hleb - he is indecisive on the ball and probably gave the ball away more than anything this season. Aliadiere is also total shit. Van Persie, and Mr TH14 are just not enough. Especially considering that Henry is not getting any younger and that VP has a tendency to get injured easily.

Defensively, if Gallas and Toure stay healthy, we should be alright. Eboue needs to stop being a total bitch and stop flopping all over the gd place. Djourou, Fabregas, Gilberto and Rosicky are going to have to be good enough to maintain the midfield. At least, they're better than Fat Frank.

Kinda pissed that Ribery decided to go to Germany.

PS: I hate Chelsea. Here's to hoping Mourinho gets the boot and Cashley dies to an army of rabid wombats.

That is pretty crazy, as I have a fantasy about killing Mourinho with a fleet of "flying attack porcupines".

tribalfootball.com suggests that Liverpool may be getting Silva.
    Also, they suggest Liverpool may trade Cisse for Simao from Benfica. (Cisse probably wont like this trade)
    Villa evidently want Kewell and Bellamy out of L'pool

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Some rumours about the Beckham LA Galaxy deal falling through, and Becks coming back to England.

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I think the last rumour I read was that Barca were offering Arsenal a large sum of money and Eto'o for Henri.

That is not a bad deal.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Eto'o claims he has no interest in leaving Barca, and Barca tells the public the same thing. I tend to side with him staying put.

napfox on
    ynwa
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Some rumours about the Beckham LA Galaxy deal falling through, and Becks coming back to England.

Umm, what? Really? Are you sure you're not thinking of the minor kerfluffle over LA maybe loaning him out in November?

Because a straight-up broken deal would be huge.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »

Umm, what? Really? Are you sure you're not thinking of the minor kerfluffle over LA maybe loaning him out in November?

Because a straight-up broken deal would be huge.

Seriously, and I'd hate to see it, having already bought tickets to see the Galaxy face off against the local and horrible Crew.

It'd just be a shit game otherwise.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, ManU picking up Anderson, Nani, and Hargreaves all in one day? I think they hacked into my computer, and stole my Fifa 07 saved game, because those are exactly the transfers I did while managing ManU.

I'm really excited for the future of Manchester United as Anderson is a logical replacement for Scholes, Nani will do great when Giggs finally retires, and Hargreaves will make a great anchor.

My only concern is Carrick's playing time. I really like Carrick and hope his on field time doesn't suffer as a result of these acquisitions.

The only thing I'd like ManU to do now is get a decent, non-injury-prone young striker to play along with Rooney. Gotta love Ole, but his moment in the sun is gone. Saha is just too injury prone and not that good, IMO. And Smith is a good player, but a good bench player.

If they truly did hack my computer and steal my Fifa07 saved game, then they're going to go after Messi and Aguero next. *crosses his fingers*

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I really need to see Valencia win some trophies next year.

Abdul the Terrible on
    Ashban1.jpg