As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SKËTCH's "things"! 17/06 - Pen is done!

SketchTheArtistSketchTheArtist Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
Howdy folks!

Well, just started Ubisoft's Campus and it's a freakin blast! Now I'm starting to create and collect character and item designs for my portfolio at the end of the program next year since all the big companies EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Eidos and many others will be there to pick their new employees. I'm in the 3D modeling program and my demo reel will mostly have 3D stuff but I wanna add some 2D drawings. Here's the latest I've been working on! C&C are always appreciated guys!

EDIT: The pale lines around his right arm and the upper part of his face are energy fields.

DesignPersoSketchWIP3.jpg

SketchTheArtist.jpg
SketchTheArtist on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Good looking out on the proportions!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Good looking out on the proportions!

Thanks mate! You should've seen the stuff I did a year or two ago. Monstruous. D:

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like it. Does he shield people to death?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Holy bejeezus that's awesome! The only thing that stands out as wierd to me is the "abs". It looks like slizes of meat that overlap you know like a serving of beef.

Sam :) on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    @Kewop: No way man! He stares them to death! Seriously, on his left arm, he's got an energy ball dispenser. It's sorta like a futuristic sport where a couple of individuals are in a dome and have to hit the various opponents. Like some of sort of distant dodge ball. ;-)

@Sam: That's his plate mate. :-P Thanks!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Looks sweet.

Though i like solid sheild more than energy ones, energy ones will probably be more effective (disintergrates bullets instead of deflecting them)

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    CheebahawkCheebahawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Perspective looks a little off on the ab-plating, apart from that it looks good.

Cheebahawk on
    cheeb_sig.gif
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Awesome work, I love this. Only thing aside from the abs I can really think of is his left foot. Shouldn't the front of the boot be a little wider than the back? It looks the opposite how you have it now, especially judging by his other boot.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I see what you mean, thanks! I'll tweak it!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dig it.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ah thank God! It's finished! Tweaked the foot that was noted by one of the members! Thanks again guys!

I like it. Might even model it in during my stay at Ubisoft Campus!:P

DodgeballFutura.jpg

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    SynapsidSynapsid Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey I just noticed some problems with the leg on the left...
    The first issue is the knee, the back of his knee doesn't look like it matches up with the front knee plate.
    Another issue is the foot on the left, its doesn't seem to match the ankle, the tip of the foot and that lump on the top need to move over more to the right.
    The only thing left after that is to push the heel more to the left. Hope this makes some sense.

(Diagram Below)

DesignPersoSketch_fix.jpg

Synapsid on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ...a futuristic sport...

Okay, that helps. My first reaction was "meh, another generic sci-fi super soldier", but if that is intended as a uniform for a sport, then I have to admit it's not bad.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    ...a futuristic sport...

Okay, that helps. My first reaction was "meh, another generic sci-fi super soldier", but if that is intended as a uniform for a sport, then I have to admit it's not bad.

Even as a generic super soldier it is a very nice design.

It has rather bulky and strong armour while retaining a wearable and agile look.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    @Synapsid: Damn! Somebody noticed! :-P I saw it when I flipped the image horizontally. I'll fix it!

Thanks for the words guys! I might pop out another one soon!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh lordy, Sketch, that looks fantastic!

Do you do the original sketches on paper? How big are they when you work on them?

Brolo on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    that is awesome but i personally think you rushed way too much on the shield thingie - compared to the great figure, it looks bad - it also appears to be a different color than the face shield - not sure if that was intentional

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    CheebahawkCheebahawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I agree with the post above, it looks good except for the shield which looks a little rushed, it's off-centre compared to where his arm is. Also you should give it a proper background, then have a nice visual effect where the background is warped slightly by the shield, showing it's rounded and opaque.

Cheebahawk on
    cheeb_sig.gif
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the scratch marks on his suit look like they were put there. You understand what I'm saying? Like it doesn't look "natural" as in in it's almost decorative.

Also, why does he only have big scratches on his knees? Unless he does a lot of blowing, there should be atleasy some other big scratches somewhere else.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I also notice that the crotch looks like its pointing almost straight at the viewer, while the abs are angled a little away. It looks strange where the ab-plating meets crotch covering.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fixed the knee as well as the crotch area. Thanks for heads up guys!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I noticed that the crotch looks like its pointing almost straight at the viewer.

:winky:

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • Options
    xbainxxbainx Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    no matter what they say about this, it's awesome. I've been hangin arond here for a while and you guys are fucking mean. That's a great drawing, so don't tell him he needs to work on anatomy or some bullshit. Sometimes you just gotta build up a body of work and learn as you go.

xbainx on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    xbainx wrote: »
    no matter what they say about this, it's awesome. I've been hangin arond here for a while and you guys are fucking mean. That's a great drawing, so don't tell him he needs to work on anatomy or some bullshit. Sometimes you just gotta build up a body of work and learn as you go.

Mate, you didn't even read the fucking thread, did you? All of the posts have said that they liked it and pointed out a couple of small issues that he's fixed. Spend a bit of time actually reading what people post instead of assuming what you think people will say.

Grifter on
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Everyone agrees that it's well drawn and he did a good job on it. However, the purpose of posting work here is for people to point out the flaws in it, so that you can improve. The AC guys will tell you what's wrong with what you're doing and why, which is what lets artists get better at their craft.

If you've been hanging around here for a while you should already know that, though.

Saved on
  • Options
    StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Oh, sorry, you must be looking for Moaning Bitch World.

The art is really good, and the people here are trying to help make it the best it can be. The guy obviously appreciates it anyway, so go away.

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    And besides that, Sketch has been a member here for three years. I think he knows what's up when he comes to the PA:AC.

Grifter on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously, on his left arm, he's got an energy ball dispenser. It's sorta like a futuristic sport where a couple of individuals are in a dome and have to hit the various opponents. Like some of sort of distant dodge ball.

If he is a sports player he really needs more.... stuff on him. Advertisements, numbers, team logos, names- you can really flesh out his world and make him a more believable character by putting that kind of detailing on him. Have a look at real world examples.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ummmmm.......AWESOME?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love the inking. It seemed good in back and white, but amazing in color.

The title of the thread says finished, but I didn't see all of the recommendations put into action. Any chance we'll see a FINISHED v2?

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanks again for the kind words guys! I'm getting a lot done here at Ubisoft's Campus: Animation, modeling (we just learned how to do hair! O_o), Game History (learning how it all started with Spacewar and all the rest is pretty freakin' fun!) and a few other classes.

I don't really have a lot of time to draw my own things but I sketched a few new ideas and it could turn out pretty soon! ;-)

@CyberMonkeytron: That's an awesome idea! Advertisements! Why haven't I thought of that! In the coming year or so, I might do a 3D model of it and add some wacked-out adverts on it, Futurama-style! :-P

@Anable: Thanks! As for the tips from some of the guys here, I tweaked some of them like the crotch and the knee. ;-)

Thanks again guys! Greatly appreciated! I'll post some stuff I did at school this week-end probably!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

They're just responding on the tiny niggles purely because there's nothing else to fix :wink: Every art thread needs actual artists to critique the structure of a piece and offset those of us who just post "lol awesome."

So... lol awesome. I'm not sure about the scratches in the coloured version (look far too orderly, somehow) and that shield just doesn't seem attached to the arm (I know it's a metaphysical energy field, but it looks very distant and unrelated) but yeah. lol awesome!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    JandissJandiss Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok this is a awesome piece. The one thing (and I feel liek a creep saying this) that is bugging me is the shield. It looks like it should be more of a light source. Like on his right side shouldn't it have a very faint reflective glow a little?

Jandiss on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for kind words again guys! Here's my first two homeworks from my Intro to 3D classes for the first semester.

For this one, I had to do a monument / building / backdrop using Primitives. These are basic forms likes boxes, cylinders, spheres, etc. All the textures aren't mine, I just used them hastily.

Premier3D.jpg

Now, this one is where the fun starts! I can say it's my first REAL 3D tryout! The first time I edited an actual mesh. Tough. Tough. Tough. But at the end, I got the hang of it and I'm ready for my next 3D homework! :P

Premier3D-2.jpg

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Heh, using MAX are we? (The teapot primitive is a dead giveaway :P)

In any case, you might want to post some wires/polycount of the second one for crit purposes.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Heh, using MAX are we? (The teapot primitive is a dead giveaway :P)

In any case, you might want to post some wires/polycount of the second one for crit purposes.

Yeah, that dreaded teapot! ;-)

I'll try to do that next week. I know I used around 1 800 Triangles for the second one. I also am aware of all the faults: the rather long head, the thin hands (they are a fuckin' pain to do), the face, etc. I know about those, but the first semester is dedicated to just learn the basic of every department that's being teached at Ubisoft's Campus. My Modeling program REALLY starts next semester where we'll just do 3D stuff. So, I have all this semester to just get a feel of 3D Studio Max.

For this homeworks, it was my first taste of editing polys and I had to do a creature. Plus, I didn't use a sheet or anything, so it was pretty much on the fly.

I'm okay for getting some feedbacks here on my work there, but I already have teachers that are explaining to me the basics so pretty much all the stuff that's 'wrong' with my models will already be noted to me by the teachers there.

Thanks man!:P

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I wasn't going to say anything about the hands/head/face areas, actually...although I might just be overlooking them because the dark lighting makes them hard to read.

The biggest concern is the design of the lower body- right now it look like the guy would constantly be at risk of toppling over. What you've done is basically take human legs and bent the joint backwards- that is not really how legs like that in animals actually work.

Horse leg ref:
    http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~sschmidt/ansc1000/horse-rear-leg.jpg

Notice that the "shin" of a horse is actually the equivilent of the metaltarsals of a human. The form is much more vertical, so the creature doesn't have to constantly exert itself just to combat gravity. Having a 'resting' position of the knees being bent at a 45 degree angle would quickly tire out anybody of a humanish size, and would need some massive thighs and glutes to do.

I suppose it could work if your creature was lightweight, like a small bird. You can actually see the change in birds' leg anatomy as they increase in weight and size: a wren can easily support that kind of bend, but ostriches have nearly vertical legs.

The other thing is the tail jutting out perpendicularly at the back. Looking at actual animal skeletons (dog, monkey) , the tail usually flows following the spine and coccyx, and such a pronounced angle there would require constant exertion to achieve.

Now, I realize you're making up a chimera of sorts, and you're going to be making up stuff that doesn't actually occur in nature, but it's still worth your time to analyize how your creature would actually function in a believable manner, even if the design is by its nature, unreal.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, definitely! One of our teachers, in the Illustration class, specifically said that you ALWAYS need references: clothings, items, backgrounds, etc. for your work and I know this also applies to 3D. But like I said, I didn't really bother looking out for references or even drawing some sort of design sheet for this. This exercise was just to see how to use the program.

But thanks a lot for the references! I just stored them in my newly created Reference document! That's another important thing we learned, building a huge, mega freakin' big library of references is the biggest service we can do to ourselves! :P Thanks man!

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    New sketch! Pencils should be done in a couple of days! C&C is truely welcomed! Cheers!

18thPersoSketch.jpg

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Little update on the pencils before heading off to bed. Still working on those $#@%;!! folds on the shoulders. Blagh! I'll do those tomorrow. Cheers.

18thPersoSketch2.jpg

ZzzZzzZzZZZzzzzz.....

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg