As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WIC - Demo out (Everyone wants to rule the World)

• Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had to take a break from the beta because I would start playing after dinner and suddenly it would be 6 in the morning. I am not even exaggerating.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I've been on a break for a good few days. The second set of maps really turned me off, really disliked them both. Are we on a third set of maps now?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Were on a set of alot of really big, open maps.

Unless another patch has occured over these last few days, no one plays armor anymore. It's all infantry,support and air.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Khaczor wrote: »
    I would describe it like RTS counterstrike. Matches go quick and (though I know this is beta) you play alot of the same maps over and over again.

That's pretty much exactly what the Devs were aiming for. In the dreamhack interview they essentially said they wanted it to play fast and furious like CS, and where anyone can pick it up within a few minutes and start playing. If you watch the vid, the people they got to play the beta at Dreamhack in the tournament were a professional CS clan. And after only 1 evening of playing, they were almost a match for the Dev team in a multiplayer match. That says a lot about the type of gameplay they want this to have. Strategic, but fast and, where decisions have to be made on the fly.

subedii on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Picked up the pre-order box for this at my local Game for 1p. It's got a code for beta access in July, so if anyone else is wanting in on that, worth picking up.

Rook on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My favorite classes to play so far are infantry and armor. Air is alright but I like getting command points and I simply suck with support. My artillery always misses and I find I do best if I just go pure anti-air and help by following the armor guys.

I played a one on one game for the first time yesterday and was killed pretty easily. The guy only built armored transports and heavy helicopters. The transports could kill all infantry pretty quickly including AT infantry AND helicopters. And when I would try to send in armor he would just rape me from afar with the heavies and run away. Transports shouldn't be that powerful...

Arty might have helped but by the time I thought of it he just ran to my spawn with heavies and took me out :|

Khaczor on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I still dont have a key.

I cry a little everytime I realise this.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Were on a set of alot of really big, open maps.

Unless another patch has occured over these last few days, no one plays armor anymore. It's all infantry,support and air.
    I play armor a lot because everyone wants to play support and spam heavy arty these days. A good armor player can easily rise to the top 3 in every match.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Since I love playing the USSR I thought I'd give you guys a morale booster. Red Army ftw.

That is awesome, as well as every other video on that site.

Edit: By site I meant youtube Red Army Choir Search!

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    BlarkBlark Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey could someone hit me up with a clan invite?

Blark on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Since I love playing the USSR I thought I'd give you guys a morale booster. Red Army ftw.

That is awesome, as well as every other video on that site.

Edit: By site I meant youtube Red Army Choir Search!

Katyusha ftw mirite? ;-)

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    And this just in, it's OPEN PUBLIC BETA TIME EVERYBODY!

http://game-on.intel.com/eng/geekout/wic/default.aspx

EDIT: Someone needs to update the title.

EDIT EDIT: Danke Monoxide.

subedii on
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Whenever I submit my form, I get a page not found error. Anyone else getting this?

baddman on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alright, I got my beta key. Now I'm just looking for a good place to download the client from.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ahahahah i love how fileplanet is only letting paying subscribers sign up for an open beta

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man I can't wait to get home from work and give this a twirl.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hopefully by then you'll be able to actually access the download server.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    what the fuck is with this page unavailable bullshit

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    For thous of you with really slow downloads:
    http://www.ngz-server.de/media/WiC_closedMPBeta.exe.torrent

Its going, really, really fast.

59 seeds and 50 peers, going at 200K+ right now, which is right around my throttled max down speed

Is this torrent working? Im getting 0 seeds/peers

Edit: Nevermind, slow to start up.

Woo 1 seed 1 peer Gah, GOGO 49.5 KB/s DL.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    cheXziecheXzie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    For thous of you with really slow downloads:
    http://www.ngz-server.de/media/WiC_closedMPBeta.exe.torrent

Its going, really, really fast.

59 seeds and 50 peers, going at 200K+ right now, which is right around my throttled max down speed

Is this torrent working? Im getting 0 seeds/peers

Edit: Nevermind, slow to start up.

Woo 1 seed 1 peer Gah, GOGO 49.5 KB/s DL.

From the looks of it that's the closed beta torrent.
    Here's the open beta torrent:
    http://www.ngz-server.de/media/wic_openMPbeta.exe.torrent

You just need the beta key for it.

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    O wow it even says Closed in the file name, derp.

Thanks for the link :D

I am getting a pretty underwhelming 40 kb/s Download and 75KB/s Upload

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, this game kicks a lot of ass. :shock:

I've been having a blast from just messing around with the tutorial... wow.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    1463 Seeders 3544 Peers

Avg. DL rate : 50kb/s
    >_>

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alright, I finished downloading. Gonna go through the tutorial first, but is there anyone who wants to play tonight?

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aww, what happened to the old sounds? I miss BIG BIRD BRINGIN' IN THE WORMS!

Fats on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This game is pretty fun. I really like playing as air, so far. I love how you have to maintain a delicate balance between units. Like, with the choppers, if you go all heavy, you won't have any defense against air attacks, and if you go medium, you can't do shit to tanks.

I played armor for a while, and it was kind of cool, but air is where it's at, I think.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fats wrote: »
    Aww, what happened to the old sounds? I miss BIG BIRD BRINGIN' IN THE WORMS!
    MOAR MEAT FOR THE GRINDER!

FreddyD on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm having the most fun so far as infantry, especially for capturing those out-of-the-way spots.

Pop out a couple of snipers and sit them in the trees along with some AT, then set out some more AT/Inf mix in the actual control points... good times.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So do they have clans? And if they do, has anyone set up a PA clan?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Has anything changed from the closed beta?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why is it telling me that I have to pre-order to play?

All the servers are running the same map, and that map is a special pre-order bonus or something.

What kind of open beta is this?

Fucking train wreck is what it is.

You can't even play! 1 map is for pre-orders only, the other 3 apparently I don't even have them! Then it asks if I want to get them, but gives me a fucking "Not Implemented" error.

Worst beta ever.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    cheXziecheXzie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone want to play?
    My ingame name is cheXzie

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok i am kind of not so thrilled with this game anymore upon the stunning realization that the pubs are filled with morons who do shit like drop napalm on tank formations and try to hit infantry squads with tank busters.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Why is it telling me that I have to pre-order to play?

All the servers are running the same map, and that map is a special pre-order bonus or something.

What kind of open beta is this?

Fucking train wreck is what it is.

You can't even play! 1 map is for pre-orders only, the other 3 apparently I don't even have them! Then it asks if I want to get them, but gives me a fucking "Not Implemented" error.

Worst beta ever.

What are you talking about.

In other news, this game is insanely fun when your team mates know what they are doing, and a total drag when your asking for AA while your tanks get blown to hell and back while your teammates do their own thing.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    shitballshh1.jpg

This is when my teammate pulled a surprise triple nuke out of the bag in the last moments of the game.

This game is so fucking awesome. I wish they had a sandbox mode though, infinite TP and a larger more urban map.

Also, the games are so short its hard to get TP in the game. Ive found going support and spamming heavy AA is the quickest way. You can rack up insane TP with that especially if one or more enemies go Air.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok i am kind of not so thrilled with this game anymore upon the stunning realization that the pubs are filled with morons who do shit like drop napalm on tank formations and try to hit infantry squads with tank busters.

This is standard for pretty much any team based multiplayer game these days.

Good thing you have us eh? Vent is your friend.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok, I got my key. I am getting on tonight and playing this. Anyone else up for a Game On tonight?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    subedii wrote: »

This is standard for pretty much any team based multiplayer game these days.

Good thing you have us eh? Vent is your friend.
    The good thing is that people on the other team are going to be doing the same thing. The closed beta vets are going to have a field day.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm on.
    TheRoadVirus is the name in-game. Add me as a friend or whatever, and I hope to see you all inside!

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I finally got to play and it's a pretty good game, but I really dislike the Infantry, and Air trees.

Infantry is really slow. That's really the only bad thing, but it's frustrating trying to take something, taking an eternity to get there, and then getting fucked completely by artillery, since half the team is always support.

Air is pretty good, strong of course but I dislike it because like I said earlier, half of each team is always support so there's always a metric fuckton of Anti-air.

Medium Helis' are really only really good vs. Other helis and infantry (which not many people play usually), and Heavies can't attack the air and are useless vs. Infantry. So if you use All heavies, and air player will smoke you, or you'll get AA'd. If you use all Mediums, you can clean out other air players, but that's kinda all you can do, and if you mix units, I find you get fucked because most people mass 1 thing, and a mix of units will just get hammered either by a shitload of mediums, or a bunch of AA.

Support is the most fun I find. Heavy Artillery blows everything apart. Heavy AA is unbelievable against Air (naturally) and gives SO MANY FUCKING Ordinance Points it's ridiculous. It's no wonder everyone tries to play support.

Armor is decent, but totally gets fucked by Air. So unless you've got a support dudes AA with you, you can expect to get your ass handed to you because Air players just LOVE to see tanks. I know I do when I play Air, and most times I can expect that a support player ISN'T assisting his tanks, unless he's shooting his artillery at someone.

I actually got to fire a triple nuke playing Support once. I went Full AA the whole game.

Endomatic on