As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WIC - Demo out (Everyone wants to rule the World)

• Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Screw you, high graphics settings!

Im not lying when I say I run this game on max everything at widescreen resolutions. FPS is nigh on 60 too.

These guys love NVidia.
    It doesn't run too bad on my x1950GT either. I got a huge performance increase over my Geforce 6800.

I don't think your CPU is all that important, at least in multiplayer. It still runs around 60fps on an Athlon 64 3500+ with all the neato effects turned on (I love the new explosion debris).

FreddyD on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been playing infantry a lot lately. They're pretty good when you get used to em.

Cheap, and fairly effective. It's totally sweet when the enemy ignores you/can't find you, but that rarely lasts very long.

I'd say the TA generation is second only to full AA

Endomatic on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    screen0012zf9.jpg
    uhohly1.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    screen0009nv5.jpg

That's all. Bondathon now.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Screw you, high graphics settings!

Im not lying when I say I run this game on max everything at widescreen resolutions. FPS is nigh on 60 too.

These guys love NVidia.

Lol 8800GTX DX10 in the house.

I win.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    By the time I get a 2900 xt this will be out of beta.....
    Damn.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait till second gen Nvidia Dx10 cards come out. That will be awesome.

Urian on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    only messed with the tutorial but oh my the graphics is bootyful. I love the shockwave effect on the artillary strikes.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So do you need DX10 for dual monitor support? I got all hot and bothered when I saw the option box but I couldn't enable it.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    oh man, I'm horrible at this game. My guys won't attack anything.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think it would be a great idea to get the PA clan to dogpile into a server. The vets here can help the novices, since people in the pubs usually won't even give you the time of day.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It be nice to have a battle field where I can get a chance to figure these shit out... the tutorial is lacking and I can't stay alive long enough to figure it out online. :P

I think I'll get the game anyways. the nukes are beautiful.

the new beta WiC nvidia driver killed my vista.. going to have to roll back gah.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I've been playing infantry a lot lately. They're pretty good when you get used to em.

Cheap, and fairly effective. It's totally sweet when the enemy ignores you/can't find you, but that rarely lasts very long.

It's very nice when you can get into forests / buildings without being spotted. You sit there, with a Hold Fire command in effect. Then when the enemy comes rolling by... remove the Hold Fire and the tanks are toast. Then it's time to ship in new troops because artillery and napalm will be raining in any second. :lol:

I really oughta use trucks to move my transports quicker to their destination, but I take too much time pairing up squads with trucks... perhaps the quick key for "Enter nearest vehicle" does that for you, I don't know.

And yes, this game is nicely optimized. I've got a lowly P4 3.4 GHz / X800 XT 256 MB, and the game runs at a decent frame rate on Medium. Smooth as butter on Low.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    Endomatic wrote: »

I really oughta use trucks to move my transports quicker to their destination, but I take too much time pairing up squads with trucks... perhaps the quick key for "Enter nearest vehicle" does that for you, I don't know.

Press Y

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    cheXziecheXzie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We should start using Ventrilo.
    Would make coordination much easier.

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    cheXzie wrote: »
    We should start using Ventrilo.
    Would make coordination much easier.
    What's wrong with in game chat?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm liking infantry a lot.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    I'm liking infantry a lot.
    Infantry is my favorite to play as well. They get pretty much raped by everything really when they aren't used properly, but in conjunction with forests and buildings they can be a miracle.

Snipers rape face too.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I haven't gotten around using snipers yet. the demo team seems useless.

I like to team anti-air and anti tank together and just roam the land or hold the objective to build structures..
    helos will come at me thinking easy prey. Got some good pts doing this.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    I haven't gotten around using snipers yet. the demo team seems useless.

I like to team anti-air and anti tank together and just roam the land or hold the objective to build structures..
    helos will come at me thinking easy prey. Got some good pts doing this.
    I find infantry are really best used as additional fortifications. Transport is often simply infeasible, so I usually end up setting my guys up in buildings and forests.

My favorite inf tactic (on Farmland) is setting up two snipers in the small forest to the left (on the USSR side) of the bridge, and placing one inf and one AT inf in each of the other nearby forests.

It holds down the bridge CRAZY well until they find and napalm you. Then I generally just sprint-suicide to the enemies nearest me.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    just don't kill anything and not move as infantry. keep mobile, don't move in a straight line. anyone who has been napalmed knows how far to move

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think I've found my setup with 2 heavy arty and 2 heavy anti-air.

Depending on the opposite team's skill, I either use all 4 group as one or the AA and Artillery as two different groups.

Basic strategy is to keep patrolling with my AA or fall back as Air defense for my Artillery. Then depending on how much my artillery is getting pounded I'll just end up moving it a lot.

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Press Y

Indeed. But does that make them go to separate trucks instead of simply heading towards the nearest one?

Firebrand on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yes

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I find that alot of medium anti air is pretty good against most stuff... Go behind enemy lines and kill air and artillery :D

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    screen0028pa9.jpg

screen0029re2.jpg

screen0030ts0.jpg

screen0015zf7.jpg

screen0032ya6.jpg

Man this game is pretty.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Real pretty.

I just had it crash on me, though, which is a shame because it was my first time playing it. I think two nukes hitting our team really did us in anyway, but I started to get weird artifacts before it froze up, too.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    Real pretty.

I just had it crash on me, though, which is a shame because it was my first time playing it. I think two nukes hitting our team really did us in anyway, but I started to get weird artifacts before it froze up, too.

Check your GPU temps, might need a little de-dusting.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Real pretty.

Check your GPU temps, might need a little de-dusting.

I thought about that due to the artifacts, but it's a brand new video card in a brand new case with pretty decent cooling. It's idling at 60 degrees right now. Maybe I have the settings up too high? I did the fps demo thing and I ended up above average with most everything turned high, and a couple of blips put into AA and AF.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To add to the screenshot glory going on here . . .

Before
    screen0037rf8.jpg
    Shot at 2007-07-22

After
    screen0038lc0.jpg
    Shot at 2007-07-22

Just earned Sergeant First Class today as well.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I thought about that due to the artifacts, but it's a brand new video card in a brand new case with pretty decent cooling. It's idling at 60 degrees right now. Maybe I have the settings up too high? I did the fps demo thing and I ended up above average with most everything turned high, and a couple of blips put into AA and AF.

idling at 60°? CPU or GPU? That's kind of high for idling temperatures (for a CPU).

Also, press F10 for prettier screenshots.

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The GPU. Upon quitting the game and checking the temperature, I don't think it had gotten above 80.

The cpu is well under 60. I'd be freaking out it it were up there. My room's really hot, but it idles at 39.

I just played a couple of matches with no ill effects, and really had a great time. I picked armor this time, where as the last game I tried Infantry. It seems really hard to play as infantry, but I guess their strength lies in being really mobile with transports and also being able to hop into buildings?

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    Press Y

Indeed. But does that make them go to separate trucks instead of simply heading towards the nearest one?
    From what I've noticed it prioritizes by cost:

AT get trucks first, then normal inf, then snipers if there are any left.

If there are enough trucks for everyone, they take the nearest one (I think). Either way, it's a helluva lot faster than trying to micro them in one by one.
    I just played a couple of matches with no ill effects, and really had a great time. I picked armor this time, where as the last game I tried Infantry. It seems really hard to play as infantry, but I guess their strength lies in being really mobile with transports and also being able to hop into buildings?

Infantry is difficult to master, but once you get better they are the most powerful & certainly versatile class, I think. I would say that much more important than transports are their ability to hide in forests, and the fact that players tend to ignore infantry in small numbers.

Also, it seems I'm practically the only person who uses snipers, but if you buy two and set them up somewhere good (a forest) at the beginning of the game, their range is so long that they just rack up points for you and almost never get noticed. They usually get the star rank damn quick as well.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I get the best results for infantry.

The thing about inf is you have to keep them alive and that means they have to keep moving and changing directions. I've played games where they've gotten so pissed at me they coordinated 5 napalm strikes at once.

Keep them spread out, keep them moving and they're really hard to kill.

I don't know if there is a way to rebuild inf squads like armor units, I wish there was.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    this game is so fun
    im not very good
    ive played about 10 times
    i just buy a bunch of light tanks initially and cap points for tac points
    then i plop down paratroopers in every forest i can

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Carpet Bombing is probably the biggest waste of Tac points by a mile,

It is good for a late game zerg but its only like another 20 for a nuke. as a teammate to coff up the dough and you can do a lot more damage.

Though especially on the hometown map, if you get a 3x carpet bomb and line em all up you can clean sweep pretty much their entire spawn.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love Fuel Air and Daisy Cutter (is that right?).

Endomatic on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sonar wrote: »

The thing about inf is you have to keep them alive and that means they have to keep moving and changing directions. I've played games where they've gotten so pissed at me they coordinated 5 napalm strikes at once.

I don't know if there is a way to rebuild inf squads like armor units, I wish there was.
    If you click the little resupply button next to their action icons, you'll rebuild the unit. :)

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    ZilkoZilko Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    Can I get an invitation to the clan please. Name is Zilko
    P-)

Zilko on
    Silkroad - Ailka, Zilko

zilkonia.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Caedere wrote: »
    Sonar wrote: »

If you click the little resupply button next to their action icons, you'll rebuild the unit. :)
    By 'rebuild' do you mean repair, or is the unit destroyed and respawned with its previous experience?

FreddyD on