As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WIC - Demo out (Everyone wants to rule the World)

• EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Caedere wrote: »
    Sonar wrote: »
    I get the best results for infantry.

The thing about inf is you have to keep them alive and that means they have to keep moving and changing directions. I've played games where they've gotten so pissed at me they coordinated 5 napalm strikes at once.

Keep them spread out, keep them moving and they're really hard to kill.

I don't know if there is a way to rebuild inf squads like armor units, I wish there was.
    If you click the little resupply button next to their action icons, you'll rebuild the unit. :)

Don't you have to be in a control zone? It's greyed out to me anywhere else, but works fine in a control zone.

Endomatic on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I love Fuel Air and Daisy Cutter (is that right?).

Yeah. The triple version of each is probably more powerful than using one or possibly two nukes.

The_Scarab on
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    New video over at GameTrailers depicting various DX10 and game features. Very pretty, but I can't help to wonder how much of all these effects you'll actually notice; I play with the view pretty far zoomed out, where infantry units aren't more than a handful of pixels each. Perhaps I shouldn't be.

Firebrand on
    edited July 2007
    game looks damn good in dx9. my pc can run dx10 stuff but nothing out yet needs it for anything other than minor cosmetics and the performance hit is pointless.

the best thing about dx10 for this game though is the smoke and clouds. they are not volumetric, but more. like, if you detonate a nuke and the mushroom cloud goes up and then detonate ANOTHER, with dx10 the cloud from the first will blow away in the wind as though it was physics based. choppers flying through smoke also leave vortex behind them, it really is amgawesome impressive.

basically, you know in the game atm there is the moodometer, where near the end of particularly fierce matches the sky darkens and the game blurs a little and changes in tone, with dx10 this occurs because the smoke rises and clouds the atmosphere in realtime.

it is quite good but the game looks blinding in 9 anyways so its just a cosmetic bonus.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2007
    screen0059qc5.jpg

screen0046oj1.jpg

screen0051uz8.jpg

screen0060ri4.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I haven't been this satisfied with a nuclear weapon since the original Total Annihiliation.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    I honestly prefer the fuel air bomb for the soviets.

You land it and it explodes into the gas cloud and for a minor split second you think 'oh, that's it?' and then this ripple of fire runs through and the shockwave destroys everything.

Someone who is a little more tech savvy then me should definetly make an animated gif of the fuel air bomb and some of the other explosions in this game. They are so satisfying.

The_Scarab on
  • cheXziecheXzie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Too bad you need vista for DX10

cheXzie on
    cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
    edited July 2007
    cheXzie wrote: »

Vista isnt as bad as people make out. You just need a better PC than one that runs XP. It is a leap up, and sure there are problems, and a service pack may be on the cards. But it is hardly broken, nor is it a waste of money.

The_Scarab on
  • JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why do I have to spend so much money to play such a awesome game... Oh yeah it's because I can't play it without spending money.

Jimpy on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you mean, your computer is crappy? because open beta means free demo. I hope more games follow this example.

tyrannus on
    edited July 2007
    I'd like to see a Fuel Air bomb in action IRL (with my own eyes, not on TV or whatever) from a safe distance of course.

They're the greatest. Not too expensive TA wise for what you get.

Endomatic on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, keeping with the Infantry question, I was relatively successful keeping them in cover and using them as surprise attackers today. I was successful until all my trees were bombed, that is. What do you do then? Make them mobile and go on the attack?

LavaKnight on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd like to see a Fuel Air bomb in action IRL (with my own eyes, not on TV or whatever) from a safe distance of course.

They're the greatest. Not too expensive TA wise for what you get.

Watch the MOAB instead. ;-)

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Vista isnt as bad as people make out. You just need a better PC than one that runs XP. It is a leap up, and sure there are problems, and a service pack may be on the cards. But it is hardly broken, nor is it a waste of money.
    Can you still get 5.1 surround sound on an Audigy 2 (or any sound card) in Vista? I know that WiC has 5.1 because the ingame speech is played on the rear speakers.

FreddyD on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here's my mini-hints for infantry:

You don't need anti-tank so much as you need regular soldiers. Even normal soldiers will use light-rockets on tanks which while not as effective as anti-tank rockets of the heavy infantry, they do all right. As long as you call for chopper support and get it, more than one or two anti-tank squads are a waste of time and resources. Your basic soldier unit is some of the best anti-air in the game.

Use the Q menu for calling targets, a lot. Infantry have an extremely high range of vision. You're also hidden while in trees, so you can see targets and spot for your artillery/chopper teams a hell of a lot better than anyone else.

Instead of saving up for a nuke, use paratroopers. They can call in small focus artillery strike. With people now hiding artillery and anti-air along woodland cover, airdrop them into the forest and tell them to hold fire. You can now see almost a full screen radius around them and find and destroy their equipment using your relatively short cool down "call artillery".

One of my favorite start-buy selections is 2 of each squad and 2 jeeps. Load up the anti-armor squads in the jeeps and send them to two capture points. Unload and move the infantry into cover while leaving the jeep to fortify the cap point. Jeeps are cheaper, and can be repaired if they take damage, they're also a little more agile when it comes to moving away/baiting enemy choppers/tanks.

Reinforce (resupply/repair) your squads, often and always. A squad of basic soldiers laying down in a ditch in the middle of a field can fight and resupply at the same time, and take out 4-5 helicopters and come out of it all right.

If you know armor is coming at your position and is going to beat you to a choke point, fall back, sprint your infantry into cover and let them wrack up a ton of tactical asset points for you to use. Because of their rate of fire and ability to survive for an extended period of time in cover, leading with your anti-armor can a lot of times yield enough points to drop in paratroopers 45 seconds into the match, who when they call in their first artillery strike pay for themselves.

The biggest mistake I made/make is not keeping my infantry pouring out of my dropzone. Infantry tend to die a lot, one napalm strike and suddenly you need to make 4 more squads. I've found using the transport chopper helps me keep my infantry on the front lines. On most maps you can find a spot where you can drop your men directly into tree cover. Quite often this also baits their attack choppers into trying to take down your transport, by the time they realize you've thrown flairs and are fast-roping in some standard infantry, it will be too late. It almost always costs them at least 3 choppers to get my one transport, and if they don't get it... I have my jeep repair it and keep at it.

Infantry is very fire and forget. If you're in cover, your best bet is to stay there... even if it means airstrikes and napalm. So you can focus on re-population. Yeah, you can try and micro who you attack, but that's about it because of the nature of cover. It's not so much true in building cover, because sometimes you can hop out of a destroyed building and get into a nice new one before you die... but in forest, position your line about an inch inside of it and stay put.

This leads me to why you stay back in the forest. Tanks can and will run you over, they can squish half a squad if they wiggle up through the trees. I've found that more than any other Branch infantry get the best results out of using their tactical points on low cost, precision attacks. Because of your super-long vision, you can often tank-killer strafe someone who's still setting up a formation or waiting on more units. Because of how well you see, you can take down a squadron of choppers with a 14 point cost air-to-air strike.

Very seldom do I end out using anything above 20 points. You really have no micro-special attacks to bother with. So you have plenty of time to setup good use of low cost tactical strikes.

Also, I tend to purchase a pair of snipers very early on. If I don't run into enemy infantry, I disband those suckers as they're just occupying space. (Just hit Delete) It may sound like a waste, but snipers are pretty cheap, and you wont miss the asset points at all for the first 5 minutes. You should be too busy getting everyone to cover and figuring out what the enemy is doing.

I've had limited success with the junker transport (300resource) instead of jeeps at the start. It also lets you pick up an extra unit. But they don't repair themselves, or repair your chopper, and they die really really fast, so if you're spotted by anything you've just lost a squad and a transport. I find it's too big a gamble.

Above all, remember that when you're in cover... you can still spread out your squads formation. Right click and drag to make sure all your squads aren't in a tiny clump. This is especially useful because even if a single squad member survives, you can give them reinforcements and have a fully functional squad back within seconds. You can survive gassing this way as well, though you may lose any units that are even a little weakened. It's very satisfying to have one man survive a napalm strike, only to reinforce and rape their choppers who flew in because they thought they had burned you out.

dispatch.o on
    edited July 2007
    Damn now Im going to play infantry. Shit that all sounds awesome.

The_Scarab on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn now Im going to play infantry. Shit that all sounds awesome.

Indeed. It's easily the most comprehensive strategy on how to utilize infantry that I've seen yet. For my part, I've decided to be proficient at armor-based strategies first, since it looks like it lends itself to some easy, yet complex micromanagement. Also, I've found the combination of large spaces in the Farmland map, as well as the constricted urban areas in the Hometown map, combined with facing factoring into damage, makes for some pretty hectic and fun games.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, great post. I haven't tried infantry yet, I think I'll start.

Zoolander on
    edited July 2007
    yeah infantry is amazing.

tyrannus on
    edited July 2007
    Infantry really is the best tree.

You'll never hear a newbie say that.

A well managed infantry player is fucking annoying.

I've had guys call in 4 napalms on me, throw all their medium choppers at me. It's really, really great.

Endomatic on
    edited July 2007
    I did notice that. When I was playing well in cover, they were spending a lot of resources just trying to flush me out. I lost all of my cover eventually because of it, but the points they spend trying to kill my squads probably let my teammates take points much more easily.

LavaKnight on
    edited July 2007
    Thing I don't like is that medium arty is an infantry player's worst nightmare. And I don't know if it's the best tree - probably the most fun tree, but I digress.

tyrannus on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love medium arty :D
    Throw in some of those with as many medium anti-air as you can and it is a formidable force of destruction.
    Tanks coming in? Arty softens em up, anti-air might be able to kill them.
    Infantry? Arty kills.
    Choppers? Well nothing defends against heavy choppers, but medium choppers go down fast.
    Only weakness is heavy-arty.... More or less.

Burning Organ on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

Can you still get 5.1 surround sound on an Audigy 2 (or any sound card) in Vista? I know that WiC has 5.1 because the ingame speech is played on the rear speakers.

Yeah, my surround sound headphones work fine. I don't have an Audigy 2 card, I just use onboard sound, which honestly is more than enough for everyone but audio pros.

The_Scarab: My starting inf build is two junker jeeps two inf, two AT, and a sniper. I just send the junker jeeps to suicide cap a point while sprinting after them with the troops. I usually get there fast enough to kill anything that wastes time killing the junk jeeps.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Infantry really is the best tree.

You'll never hear a newbie say that.

A well managed infantry player is fucking annoying.

I've had guys call in 4 napalms on me, throw all their medium choppers at me. It's really, really great.

I don't understand why Heavy Choppers can't fire missles at infantry and blow them up....it doesn't make sense.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited July 2007
    Attack ground does that.

tyrannus on
    edited July 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Attack ground does that.

Shouldn't it do it automatically though? :|

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited July 2007
    No.

tyrannus on
    edited July 2007
    man, it's not fair that more people aren't playing this wonderful game. i'm so helplessly addicted.

tyrannus on
    edited July 2007
    I'm having tons of fun with it as well.

I haven't decided if it's better, as armor, to build up a large force and go on the offensive, or to keep a few medium tanks/apc's streaming through whenever possible. When doing the latter, it seems like I play for teamwork and support helis more. To be honest, I haven't gotten a really big tank army yet.

LavaKnight on
    edited July 2007
    Playing as armor I prefer to meatgrind em with groups of 3-4 medium tanks all the time than save up for a crushing force of more. Especially when you are on the offensive.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2007
    Playing as armor I prefer to meatgrind em with groups of 3-4 medium tanks all the time than save up for a crushing force of more. Especially when you are on the offensive.

That's mostly what I do too. It's less costly when you come up against a group of heli's, too.

LavaKnight on
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Infantry and Support are my favorite so far. Infantry are like the cliche annoying enemy you encounter in games. Fast as hell too. Support is just as good, Heavy artillery letting it rain from my drop zone.

VaLiantine on
    edited July 2007
    screen0063jj9.jpg

This is what happens when teams actually work together.

15 nukes in this game. Ridiculous. Both sides were half support half air and just grinded the fuck out of each others heavy art / choppers with AA and heavy attack helis. Insanity.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2007
    Scarab what's your name so I can add you.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited July 2007
    Scarab

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2007
    Anyone checked out the new map and new mode? I think it sucks. I like the territories gameplay, it promotes agression. Unlike COH this game just does not do static defenses at all which is why assault sucks.

Id like to see them extend the game timer though, maybe do a bigger map and a 25-30 minute game timer.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2007
    Scarab

So are you playing right now because I want to try a game against you :D

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited July 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Scarab

So are you playing right now because I want to try a game against you :D

Its actually 5:20 am here, so no. Im sort of passively browsing the boards while waiting on this thing to compile on my PC. Hook me up tomorrow (uhm, this evening I suppose) evening for some games.

The_Scarab on