As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WIC - Demo out (Everyone wants to rule the World)

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dunno. AT seems to rape arty and tanks from trees. Other then that they seem to get raped when I use em.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I dunno. AT seems to rape arty and tanks from trees. Other then that they seem to get raped when I use em.
    But isn't napalm a death sentence for infantry in trees?

I know its a game of rock paper scissors but it would be nice to see infantry on control points stand and deliver every once in awhile, instead of fleeing for cover at the sight of anything on wheels.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    conanface.gif

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Regarding the whole nuke discussion, the few times I've seen them used they've been pretty devastating. Especially in light of the fact that most games I've been part of only have a few players actually trying to win by holding points.

Example: One particular match on the map with the town square and dam, me and some other guy were trying to hold back the Soviets from overrunning the bridge and taking the town square. I have no idea what, if anything, the rest of the US team was doing but it wasn't much. My tanks were holding the bridge and building up the points while his choppers hit their arty and armor. We were doing great for the entire match until the Soviets dropped a nuke right in the middle of the town square. They swept in and we couldn't get out of our spawn points after that.

tl;dr Smart use of nukes > me and some dude.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think infantry really need a fox-hole command or something. Some way to dig in on command points so they just dont get brushed away so easily. I love infantry but the second artillery, off-screen support or a concentrated tank attack looks at me sideways I have to fall back.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think a lot of people underestimate the advantage of using tactical points to para-drop infantry and tanks, especially considering how cheap they are. For example, when I play Air I will often mop up an unguarded base, then para-drop two light tanks or some infantry to claim the points. At that point you even have further options...you can shuttle the infantry into buildings or a nearby forest, or keep the tanks around to build up the defenses, or move them into the fray.

Not to discount the nukes and napalm, because in the right situation they can really help. But I find that more often than not, one nuke isn't worth the points when I could spend them on 4 infantry squads.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I think infantry really need a fox-hole command or something. Some way to dig in on command points so they just don't get brushed away so easily. I love infantry but the second artillery, off-screen support or a concentrated tank attack looks at me sideways I have to fall back.

I think that would go against the whole idea of infantry. The way Massive seems to want them to work is that they have a way of dealing with most units, but are squishy to compensate for that, and have to constantly be on the move. Things are generally so chaotic in an evenly matched game that I don't even think this is a glaring flaw...once you finish the job at one place, you should generally always have something else to go sprint towards and fuck up, and this should generally keep you out of trouble with artillery.

If I would change anything along these lines, I would speed up construction of base defenses, since they're near-useless anyway. The game is obviously designed to keep everyone on the move...if you stand still, you are a sitting duck for artillery, or napalm, or nukes, etc. So, encouraging you to hold units at a base is a no-no, IMO.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fair enough. It's probably just my defensive nature showing through.

I'll definately make more use of air drops in my next game though. Plenty of times where I could have taken something had I just had one more squad in the field.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So i found I'm compentent flying medium helis around taking out the heavy ones that always seem to be everywhere. I also found out i suck at surgical strikes.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlarkBlark Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, this game is fun. I'm not super awesome at it and I'm still trying to figure it out/get used to it, but I like what I've played. I found out I'm pretty good at playing armor less so at other classes, so if anyone has any tips those would be appreciated.

I'm not that good at getting TA points yet though (the most I've ever gotten was like 31) so I have yet to drop a nuke :( , though the artillery was cool. I've yet to play N.A.T.O but from what I can tell their artillery is easy as hell to spot, I mean just look at where all the missiles are coming from.

I have to say may favorite moment so far has been when I single-handedly captured all the command points on that uphill Russian city map in 2:56 with nothing but 4 heavy tanks. Whoo for blitzkrieg.

Blark on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've yet to try the tanks or support. I'm having a hard enough time figuring out how to make infantry useful D:

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've yet to try the tanks or support. I'm having a hard enough time figuring out how to make infantry useful D:

Infantry is probably the hardest class to learn on. I would go back to them after you get a handle on the game with other classes.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »

Infantry is probably the hardest class to learn on. I would go back to them after you get a handle on the game with other classes.

I moved on to the tanks and started doing ok. I found out the armored transports just rape the medium helis. I haven't really seen a use for the heavy tanks really tho. So many points and they tend to die faster then my medium and light tanks do.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlarkBlark Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I moved on to the tanks and started doing ok. I found out the armored transports just rape the medium helis. I haven't really seen a use for the heavy tanks really tho. So many points and they tend to die faster then my medium and light tanks do.

Really? I've found that it can make a huge difference if I wait a few extra seconds at the start of a round to buy that extra heavy tank. They seem to rip through stuff pretty well and stick around longer than medium tanks.

However, I've started using huge amounts of light tanks which seem to be really effective if used properly. I'll get like 8 light tanks and then just rush and it seems to catch em off guard, since it's much more difficult for a handful of medium tanks to effectively target a large group of light tanks. Plus that special ability is really useful, just keep targeting a heavy tank or whatever until it goes boom.

Blark on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Blark wrote: »

Really? I've found that it can make a huge difference if I wait a few extra seconds at the start of a round to buy that extra heavy tank. They seem to rip through stuff pretty well and stick around longer than medium tanks.

However, I've started using huge amounts of light tanks which seem to be really effective if used properly. I'll get like 8 light tanks and then just rush and it seems to catch em off guard, since it's much more difficult for a handful of medium tanks to effectively target a large group of light tanks. Plus that special ability is really useful, just keep targeting a heavy tank or whatever until it goes boom.
    There usually seems to be alot of heavy helis around and then the heavy tanks get raped by those or arty spam.

But ya I am liking the light tanks alot. Add one or two Medium to deal with inf and you are golden.

EDIT : Are there many PA guys playing? I haven't seen anyone from the clan on and it'd be fun playing with people who might know whats going on instead of just randomly attacking shit.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Here's something I noticed in the new patch. As US it gives you little tool tips about units when you purcahse them. AT Infantry can't target air. Everything makes alot more sense now.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DLing the new patch. Is the new crater system any cool?

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Honestly I think I was too busy blowing stuff up to notice. I think the craters looked bigger and less tacked on then before though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Today is the stress test, so everyone in the beta is being asked to log on to Massgate. Check the beta forums for updates.

Also, I saw an interesting take on the new trailer in the beta forums.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Today is the stress test, so everyone in the beta is being asked to log on to Massgate. Check the beta forums for updates.

lol.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    FreddyD wrote: »

lol.

I dig it.

Man, people are getting really good at this game. Especially team work wise. I pretty much exclusively use my infantry as mobile bunkers going from house to house or tree to tree to lay anti-air ambushes or spot for artillery or to lure tanks into a pincer.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, hiding infantry in trees next to cap points is fun, though I'm still trying to find a good use for the sniper. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread I think, but currently my favorite tactic is air dropping in some paratroops behind enemy lines. Their ability is super nice for taking out artillery quick and decisive like and they see nice and far which allows your team's artillery to make short work of all their ground units plus scout for what's coming next and from where.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yeah, hiding infantry in trees next to cap points is fun, though I'm still trying to find a good use for the sniper. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread I think, but currently my favorite tactic is air dropping in some paratroops behind enemy lines. Their ability is super nice for taking out artillery quick and decisive like and they see nice and far which allows your team's artillery to make short work of all their ground units plus scout for what's coming next and from where.

The only use I've found for the sniper so far is sticking him in some trees with infantry support if I know the other team is going to be trying to march infantry through the area.

He usually just gets killed by artillery though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MGS3-SSMGS3-SS Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here I come!

MGS3-SS on
    bf2.jpg
    ak4729xm.jpg
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Slow torrent is slow.

Around 3 kb/s? No thanks.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I just use the sniper to pick off infantry.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Man, these new maps are really, really big and open. I'm having a tougher tiem being effective as infantry.

Looks like I might have to learn how to use transports.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I know this is a long shot but is there any way to get in on this. It looks awesome and I loved Ground Control, especially 2.

Also, is it true that in MP you can be pure support, like nothing but off map artillery and special moves like nukes and shit? Thats awesome.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well, support is a role. But it's not all off map.

You have on map artillery and anti-air vehicles. Artillery can lob pretty much across the whole map though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OK so I just saw the new trailer (Everybody wants to rule the world, see here ), and I am officially INTENSELY interested in this game (and I didn't even like ground control).

Any word on what the system specs are looking like? What sort of rigs are you guys running it on? I presume it's coming sometime Q3 / Q4 this year right? I'm planning on getting a new PC this summer and this looks like something to really run it through it's paces (assuming I don't need two SLI'd 8800 GTX's or something crazy like that).

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    OK so I just saw the new trailer (Everybody wants to rule the world, see here ), and I am officially INTENSELY interested in this game (and I didn't even like ground control).

Any word on what the system specs are looking like? What sort of rigs are you guys running it on? I presume it's coming sometime Q3 / Q4 this year right? I'm planning on getting a new PC this summer and this looks like something to really run it through it's paces (assuming I don't need two SLI'd 8800 GTX's or something crazy like that).

The beta runs fine on my Nvidia 7900 GTX

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can run it smoothly with my Radeon 9800 Pro, albeit on medium-low settings

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The trailers for this game are fucking amazing. I watched one and then went and watched all the others and I'm not even particularly interested in the game, but damn if they weren't enjoyable to watch every second.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This game wasn't even on my radar. After watching some vids from gametrailers though I'm very interested. Is this like Company of Heroes but with nukes? If so SOLD. :lol:

powersurge on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nope, there's nothing I can think of that plays like it but once you get used to it it's wicked.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Since I love playing the USSR I thought I'd give you guys a morale booster. Red Army ftw.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Nope, there's nothing I can think of that plays like it but once you get used to it it's wicked.

There's not much else out that it plays like, except Ground Control.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »

There's not much else out that it plays like, except Ground Control.
    I would say it's vastly different even from ground control. Mostly in that you rarely control more than 10 units at a time. I like the idea that I can totally micro my few guys and work as a team with everyone else.

We seriously have to get some clan games going.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Indeed, I played this so much for a few days, I got a little burned out, but I should be on some this weekend at least.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've been playing this quite a bit for about 2 weeks now and loving most of it. I think I got to page 3-4 of the rankings so that's pretty cool too. With the new patch though they nerfed my poor infantry to actually make them balanced :(. Nukes are too cheap imo.

I really disliked Company of Heroes when I played it but this suits me much better. I would describe it like RTS counterstrike. Matches go quick and (though I know this is beta) you play alot of the same maps over and over again. If you had a good team with mics in de_dust everyone rushing the bomb site and following orders it's really cool, but if your team are newbies or non-communicators it can turn a match into being very un-fun. This translates the same into World in Conflict. It's not un-fun sometimes simply because you're losing but why the hell did you build 7 demo engineers REALLY?! :x Of course, that is why clans exist.

Overall a great game but can get burned out of it just as easily as any FPS if you play it too much.

Khaczor on