As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Greatest Genius of all Time

PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
In light of the Greatest Album of All time thread, a thread which, there is no possible nor plausible answer, yet opens up some decent discussion, I think we should talk about geniuses.* Genius is something that is debated and discussed and the subject of discourse every day. What is genius? Is it something innate, that we all have? Benjamin Franklin seemed to think that genius was a precious gem within us, that was mined by the hardest working and best educated. However, I find it hard to believe a lot of the times that genius isn't a gift, too.

Here are some of my suggestions for greatest Genius of all Time:

Wagner: Simply the most complete artist of all time. He revolutionized music, and still has some of the most touching, grand, emotional music of all time. The ending of Tristan? come on. He also had one of the most long reaching visions ever. He worked on Der Ring for 30 years. His genius does not limit itself at music, however, He was a dramatist par excellence. He would publish his libretti first, to great acclaim. He also invented instruments to fit his needs, and designed a theater that created modern acoustics and, as a result, modern conducting.

Beethoven: His 9th symphony is the greatest achievement of mankind. Der Gro?e Fugue aint to bad either :P

Michaelangelo: Reinessance man. You know his credentials. Pieta, David, Sistine Chapel frescoes, St. Peter's Basilica. Da Vinci might have had a wider range of talents, but he can't touch Michaelangelo in terms of pure artistry.

Dante: The Comedy is the finest language construction man has known. Everything fits together so perfectly. His sonnets are some of the best ever writter.

Brunelleschi: The dome to end all domes.

Descartes: As a few of you know, I've been reading him, with great frustration, as of late. Not only did he start modern mathematics, but laid the foundations for optics and calculus

speaking of Calculus

Newton: Don't think I need to go into much discussion here.

Einstein: Here either.

I missed a ton. I know. Picasso, all the guys who started quantum physics, Renzo Piano [:P]

So, you know,

DISCUSS!

*I thank you in advance, but please don't nominate me. Thank you, though.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
9pr1GIh.jpg?1
Podly on

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    If you're going to mention Newton in the same breath as Calculus, you should give a shout-out to Leibniz, as well. Since he discovered it at pretty much the same time.

I guess we should have a token not to Stephen Hawking, as well.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    Beethoven: His 9th symphony is the greatest achievement of mankind. Der Gro?e Fugue aint to bad either :P
    Man, the Ninth isn't even Beethoven's best work. :P

Elendil on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Da Vinci.

Johannen on
  • Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kinda likin' Socrates here.

Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wile E. Coyote. Super Genius.

Tach on
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I nominate Augustus leadership, diplomacy, and political saavy to build the empire from the ashes of the Republic. Humans are the trickiest things to herd around.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Corlis wrote: »
    I nominate Augustus leadership, diplomacy, and political saavy to build the empire from the ashes of the Republic. Humans are the trickiest things to herd around.

hadn't thought of this one

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jerry Bruckheimer. FTW.

Profs on
  • taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    What sort of genius are you looking for? There have been some incredibly brilliant mathematicians that not a lot of people know much about. Gauss, Dijkstra, Fourier, etc.

As for the discussion of if it is from hard work or a "gift." I would vote more for gift. Though, being a genius is different than being a success, which I believe to be a large part of hard work and luck.

taeric on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    Da Vinci.

Given his contributions to art and his awesomeness as an inventor, I have to give the man mad props. Also, he was the inspiration for one of the finest pieces of literature in modern times.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I think he ranks chief amongst them all personaly. Someone asked him to explain the orbit of the planets, and 2 months later he comes back having invented differential calculus to explain the whole thing. Some of his theories were precursors into quantam physics, which is still a virgin frontier to us.

3lwap0 on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Da Vinci.

Given his contributions to art and his awesomeness as an inventor, I have to give the man mad props. Also, he was the inspiration for one of the finest pieces of literature in modern times.

I guess here we have to look at legacy over the works themselves. I would say that Da Vinci is a greater genius, as modern society has Da Vinci to thank more than Michaelangelo. However, I think that Genius cannot be measured by success. I find Michaelangelo's work to be more genius (like, 9.9 vs. 9.8. [I know this is ridiculous]) and show a better understanding of humanity and human response.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to go with Newton. Not just for Calculus, although that was cool. Not just for Gravity, although that was okay too. Not just for his work in optics or for hanging out in bars hunting counterfeiters. Not just for being a brilliant innovator and also able to reconcile his work with a belief in the literal truth of the bible (talk about holding simultaneous contradictory ideas in one's head).

But for being able to do all of this in a time which was actively and systemically hostile to the theories he came up with. And for being good enough at it all to the point that by the end of his life the times had actually changed because of him.

GrimmyTOA on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Corlis wrote: »

To be fair, Agrippa and Maecaenas helped a lot.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Another interesting thing to discuss is artistic vs. scientific genius. I think the former works with truths about humans (not homo sapiens, but mankind) whilst the latter involves discovering truths about the system that we work in. Perhaps art is not discovery, but a way of phrasing something to best reveal the truth.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to say Charles Babbage for being a century ahead of his time.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited June 2007
    Marx wrote: »
    I'm going to say Charles Babbage for being a century ahead of his time.

Not gonna lie...

...had to wiki that one.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Backing up the "yay science" side, I shall nominate Edward Jenner for realizing that milkmaids had nice skin, and therefore that if he injected people with cowpox pus, they wouldn't die of smallpox. Seriously.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gotta go with Leonhard Euler, followed closely by (or perhaps tied with) C. F. Gauss.

SithDrummer on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    mr giant taco salad inventor

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Da Vinci.

You have my fanscript?

Tach on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

There is definitely an argument to be made that, had Einstein not prsented his theory, someone else would have very soon. The contradictions in the theories of the time were pretty glaring.
    geniuses*

*I thank you in advance, but please don't nominate me. Thank you, though.

I was expecting an "actually it's genii" post by now. Disappointing.

Gorak on
    edited June 2007
    Gorak wrote: »
    I was expecting an "actually it's genii" post by now. Disappointing.
    genie.gif

?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The proper term is "genipodes."

Anyway, since Beethoven was mentioned, I'm going with Alexander Scriabin. Over the course of his composition career, he moved from Chopin-inspired romanticism to Wagnerian chromaticism to "only very vaguely tonal." And at every stage of this career, he wrote amazing works. Stylistically, I've heard nothing quite like it; he liberally mixed the sublime and grotesque. His work could shift between a sort of demonic feeling and a sense of religious ecstasy. Very, very fascinating music.

Also, totally awesome.

Elendil on
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tesla. I am continually in awe of this man.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

There is definitely an argument to be made that, had Einstein not prsented his theory, someone else would have very soon. The contradictions in the theories of the time were pretty glaring.

My understanding was that the special theory of relativity was about ready to be discovered by the next really smart person who came along, but that the general one really was something else and you'd have had to be some kind of Einstein (see what I did?!) to come up with it yourself. (I may have got them the wrong way round.) And of course he did the other stuff on Brownian Motion and the thing with metal and electrons whose name temporarily escapes me. The photoelectric effect, Wikipedia tells me. And this all in one year. While working as a patent examiner.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Leonardo DaVinci, that guy practically visited the future and tried to bring to his present time.

LondonBridge on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gauss gets my vote as well.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Personally I have trouble labelling artists as "genius". There's thousands, millions, of talented artists out there, and I honestly have no idea how people can pass over all the great stuff being made every day and point out just a few for the genius label, just on the basis of it being a classic or something. And being that art is entirely subjective, it's really hard to say some particular piece is so amazing and unique that no one else in the generation could compare to it. Inventing a brand new style or method that gets used for ages after I suppose I would get a "genius" from me, rather than just making a couple nifty statues or portraits.

Tolkein, for example. His books were pretty decent, but more importantly he (as far as I know) pretty much single-handedly created the modern fantasy genre of literature, which then went on into games and movies and so on.

Scooter on
    edited June 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Tolkein, for example. His books were pretty decent, but more importantly he (as far as I know) pretty much single-handedly created the modern fantasy genre of literature, which then went on into games and movies and so on.

You....you do know that Tolkein blatantly ripped off Wagner, and just combined the myths he studied, right?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I know nothing about Wagner, so no I do not

Edit: Though I did expect as I was typing it that someone would come in with a "man, Tolkein was the least original writer who ever lived". Being that this is the internet.

Scooter on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Paul_IQ164 wrote: »

My understanding was that the special theory of relativity was about ready to be discovered by the next really smart person who came along, but that the general one really was something else and you'd have had to be some kind of Einstein (see what I did?!) to come up with it yourself. (I may have got them the wrong way round.) And of course he did the other stuff on Brownian Motion and the thing with metal and electrons whose name temporarily escapes me. The photoelectric effect, Wikipedia tells me. And this all in one year. While working as a patent examiner.

The general theory is basically the special theory + gravity. Many would say that the General Theory isn't much more of a step than that between the prevailing theories and Special Relativity. The important step was relating acceleration due to gravity to general acceleration (the weight gain you experience when an elevator starts moving upwards).

He may well have made that leap faster than others would have. He was wrong as fuck on quantum mechanics though.

Gorak on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Newton and Da Vinci.

Both could solve, or create a system to solve, any question they came up against.

and as for as music, Bach.

geckahn on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maybe somebody with a background in Roman history or the classics could help with this.

Some time ago I read about an ancient Roman architect and polymath who was one of history's first recorded 'Renaissance men.' I can't remember his name, and it's been bugging me for months. It wasn't somebody you would have learned about in high school history.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    saggio wrote: »
    Tesla. I am continually in awe of this man.

Tesla is the king of taking a concept, and simultaneously developing it in both practical and batshit-insane directions

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hans Zimmer.

...What?

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I read somewhere that Charles Babbage invented that protective grating you see on older train engines. It was supposed to knock away cows that wander onto the train tracks but did that thing actually work? It seems to me a train, even traveling at slow speeds, would split a cow in half like that.

Charles Babbage broke the backs of many a cow?

EDIT: Oh, and I'll nominate Wernher von Braun. Not just for what he thought up but how he danced around red tape and budgets.

emnmnme on
  • urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You may laugh at me but Jesus Christ was a genius. Look at what he did to the world by dying (No Im not talking about the resurrection either).

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Charles Babbage invented that protective grating you see on older train engines. It was supposed to knock away cows that wander onto the train tracks but did that thing actually work? It seems to me a train, even traveling at slow speeds, would split a cow in half like that.

Charles Babbage broke the backs of many a cow?

Yes, this is pretty much all true.
    And the point isn't to save the cow, it's to save the train. You want the obstacle (or whatever pieces are left of it) to bounce off the train without pushing the train to either side. Therefore, you need something tapered and curved so cow parts can just roll off.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.