As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pessimism

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Speaking of ebola, did you know we have a vaccine for it now?

Yeah, I was pretty blown away when I heard about that too. The scariest disease most people can imagine, and oh hey, vaccine out of the blue!

:shock:

Why haven't I heard about this? The article's dated 2003!

In the late 90s, I heard about an oral vaccine for the bacteria that rot one's teeth.

I still haven't heard a second word of it.

It's not government blowjobs, so it isn't news.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Leitner wrote: »
    My hope for he future is quite limited. Some day the Sun will swallow the Earth.

Don't you find that horribly depressing?

I used to... but it's good to be humbled. Some day we will be extinct. We shouldn't be naive about our place in the universe.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My hope for he future is quite limited. Some day the Sun will swallow the Earth.

I used to... but it's good to be humbled. Some day we will be extinct. We shouldn't be naive about our place in the universe.

I'm pretty much depending on this.

I can't be one of the last people quoted at the end of humanity if humanity doesn't croak.

Go sun go!

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Uh, by the time swallows the earth we'll be across the galaxy. We're like cockroaches, the only thing I can see ending humanity after we start setting up home on new planets is the universe imploding. If by that time we haven't found anyway to stop that.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment." -Librarian Izarius (I think), Blood Ravens Chapter.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Uh, by the time swallows the earth we'll be across the galaxy. We're like cockroaches, the only thing I can see ending humanity after we start setting up home on new planets is the universe imploding. If by that time we haven't found anyway to stop that.

Time being infinite, our demise is inevitable.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You forget that other infinite thing: Human stupidity.

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Not quite. Time being infinite vastly increases the chance of our extinction. It doesn't guarantee we will die out.

Leitner on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not quite. Time being infinite vastly increases the chance of our extinction. It doesn't guarantee we will die out.
    Eventually one of us will make it to Godhood and will go back in time and give us a purpose. If that's already happened then that guy is a fucking failure. I don't feel like I have a purpose at all.

Hoz on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Which is why dreading the future, or being hopeful of it is pointless. You should really only care about issues which you believe will effect your level happiness in your own life time. Because eventually, just like you will be gone, so will the human race.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, maybe time is cyclical. Hopeless is no way to spend your infinite.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Which is why dreading the future, or being hopeful of it is pointless. You should really only care about issues which you believe will effect your level happiness in your own life time. Because eventually, just like you will be gone, so will the human race.

Because other peoples happiness doesn't matter?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

The funny thing about the "think of the children!" motif is that, really, people need to start thinking about the goddamn children already.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

It only matters if seeing/making others happy makes you feel good.

Unless you can find a way to cheat death somehow, you will eventually die and be forever gone. The way I see it is, you might as well make the most of your time; exploiting or helping others towards reaching that goal is irrelevant. I cannot be happy doing the former, but neither approach is invalid.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

The funny thing about the "think of the children!" motif is that, really, people need to start thinking about the goddamn children already.

I think of the children. Specifically, my children. They don't exist yet, but the thought of their lives being good makes me feel good.

I guess it's really more self serving than it is altruistic.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    All actions are selfish.

It's just whether you are a selfish okay person or a selfish dick.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All actions are selfish.

I do not agree with this statement.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    All actions are selfish.

Because you don't want to, being selfish.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really don't see any justification for optimism.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think I figured out why people are always so damn mopey. They all think too much. The same thing that separates us from the animals is what drives people to jump off bridges. The solution to this is to shut off your brains for a while and go look at the stars or something.

Trevor on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Trevor wrote: »
    I think I figured out why people are always so damn mopey. They all think too much. The same thing that separates us from the animals is what drives people to jump off bridges. The solution to this is to shut off your brains for a while and go look at the stars or something.
    I think more when I look at the stars. It's fun.

Or in other words: I think your solution is ridiculous and covers no ground not already addressed.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Well, maybe time is cyclical. Hopeless is no way to spend your infinite.
    The past is but the beginning of a beginning, and all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn.
    - H. G. Wells

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Clearly World War III will break out when the A.I. super computers that manage our nukes get bored and start a nuclear war which devastates world civilization utterly. The lucky will be in underground shelters, or vaults. The unlucky that survive on the surface will be irradiated and turned into ghouls or mutants and walk the wasteland in need of survival.

oh wait

Fallout2.jpg

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All actions are selfish.

I'd disagree simply because it's not true. All actions are based on incentives that are suppposed to be self serving, that is why they evolved from natural selection, but far from all charitable actions are selfish. Perhaps the most typical one would be willingness to die for your kin and friends. which is hardly selfish.

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    fjafjan wrote: »
    All actions are selfish.

I'd disagree simply because it's not true. All actions are based on incentives that are suppposed to be self serving, that is why they evolved from natural selection, but far from all charitable actions are selfish. Perhaps the most typical one would be willingness to die for your kin and friends. which is hardly selfish.

If you dying keeps your kin alive, then you have increased the survival chances of your own DNA.

Selfish self-sacrificing bastards!

Gorak on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    The expansion of the universe is gradually slowing down, it will eventually collapse inwardly on itself when, according to the laws of entropy, all of its primary thermal and mechanical functions fail, thus rendering all human endeavour ultimately pointless...
    It doesn't matter what we achieve as a species, as we are inescapably destined to be forgotten...

DARK ENERGY SHAZAM
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think dark energy is an arguable topic whatsoever, but it's nice to think it's God's Deus Ex Machina for the universe's collapse or something.

Iriah on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gorak wrote: »
    All actions are selfish.

If you dying keeps your kin alive, then you have increased the survival chances of your own DNA.

Is this sarcasm, or are you really using this argument?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    All actions are selfish.

Exactly. Altruism.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    All actions are selfish.

Selfish self-sacrificing bastards!

Yes, but that is because the gene is selfish, not you.

Animals partake in altruism even though they themselves, as individuals, pay the whole cost and gain zero benefit. You are right, the point of altruism is to increase the chances of your genes surviving and being passed on, but if the "self" we are talking about is the individual, then the statement "all actions are selfish" is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._Hamilton#Hamilton.27s_rule

ege02 on
  • Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Im generally a very negative person. Partly, because if you expect the worst bad shit probably wont surprise you very much. Also, because there arent many things in the world to be glad about. Racism, war, destruction of the very planet on which we live on a daily basis, the callous disregard for those suffering in this country and many others, and leaders whose greed, corruption, and lust for power stagnate any progress we could make. All in all, not a very bright future for humanity.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think negative news coverage in the media greatly contributes to people's pessimism.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The selfishness thing really is its own topic, folks. Selfishness is too unpopular a word to be explained without a derail.

--

I wouldn't blame the news so much. The news makes people more -fearful- of what -is- out there, but is relatively rare, such as kidnappings and plane crashes, but humans are assholes whether or not you have a news report on them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Is this sarcasm, or are you really using this argument?

Bit of both. :P

It depends on how pedantic people want to be with their definition of selfish e.g. givng to charity makes you feel good therefore it's selfish.

Mainly sarcasm though.

Gorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ultimately "selfish" is just a really redundant, nigh-useless word except for triggering peer pressure.

[/Pet Peeve]

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm very pessimistic about the next 100 years (or less, depends) for a few reasons:

The big one: the end of US hegemony, or the collapse of the US itself. Due to diminishing oil reserves and growing powers elsewhere, I think the US will continue to overextend itself militarily and economically. The two are very much tied, if the US is unable to protect/enforce/intimidate its interests or enemies around the world then there will be economic consequences, just as diminishing resources or a poor economy will have influence on the ability of the US to project its influence across the world. The big problem with this is that the economy of the entire planet is very much dependent on the US. A massive crash in the US would have enormously destructive results across the world. Just as a weakening military will result in a huge number of small (or big) wars as nations become able to challenge the US directly. Basically severe economic depression and war.

Climate change. I'm not so much worried about this individually, as in the long run its a self healing problem. It would be a large problem though since as it could result in economic and military issues due to the change in distribution of food and water. See above.

Artificial Intelligence: A bit of a wild card, who knows when it will occur, and what the results will be. Has the potential to cause incredibly large changes however.

Genetic Engineering: I see genetic engineering going the way of computers. Namely easier, cheaper, and more accessible. Now this will result in untold advances in medicine, and more controversially, in food production. But it will revolutionize, well, everything. In the 60s, if you operated a computer, you were probably a computer scientist, with many years of advanced training. Now everyone and their dog has easy access to vast amount of computing power, which can be hugely useful. Now imagine if genetic engineering goes the same way. Hobbyists, do it yourself kits, small, independent labs being set up. Now the results of this are largely speculative, since we really dont know a lot about this. The old designer baby debate will continue, many will try to ban such things, but there will always be places that dont, and more accessible tech means backroom deals for that kind of thing. Much like with computing, I think it will be these smaller entities that will do most of the innovating, whether its legal or not. Engineer a bacteria to give your eyes a different colour. Modify coca to make it even more potent. Create a virus from easily available components which kills cancer cells... or one which kills members of an ethnic minority. In the 90s it was possible for a single teenager to orchestrate a hacking attack which could bring down the biggest of the big websites, causing billions of dollars in damage. Imagine what could happen if this same sort of thing occurred with genetic engineering.

And most of the big changes will be ones that we dont forsee. It will be like the computer revolution, only it will involve our bodies and the organisms we live with. Potential for bad and good, but a genetic virus is scarier than a computer virus.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    I'm very pessimistic about the next 100 years (or less, depends) for a few reasons:

The big one: the end of US hegemony....

I'm not exactly sure if that is a bad thing.

ege02 on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

The big one: the end of US hegemony....

I'm not exactly sure if that is a bad thing.

Nor am I, I despise the amount of control the US exerts over the world. But as a result, so much of the world is built around the US. If it were to collapse, bad, bad things would happen.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Animals partake in altruism even though they themselves, as individuals, pay the whole cost and gain zero benefit. You are right, the point of altruism is to increase the chances of your genes surviving and being passed on, but if the "self" we are talking about is the individual, then the statement "all actions are selfish" is wrong.

So basically this explains why we are naturally inclined to sacrifice ourselves to protect the children we already have instead of going 'fuck it, I can just go make some new ones'.
    Anyways, you still have a choice, but it is also still a self-serving sacrifice. What would the consequence be if you did not let the gene win out? You would live your life in regret and misery.
    Also the gene is part of you, so you can't detach it from the individual. It's like saying I am not a pessimist, only a portion of my brain is.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

So basically this explains why we are naturally inclined to sacrifice ourselves to protect the children we already have instead of going 'fuck it, I can just go make some new ones'.
    Anyways, you still have a choice, but it is also still a self-serving sacrifice. What would the consequence be if you did not let the gene win out? You would live your life in regret and misery.
    Also the gene is part of you, so you can't detach it from the individual. It's like saying I am not a pessimist, only a portion of my brain is.

No, the point is that you have to ask yourself on what level in the biological hierarchy the target of selection is for altruism. And the answer is, on the level of the gene, not on the level of the individual or the group.

ege02 on
  • Options
    SpazSpaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Modify coca to make it even more potent.

Anyone find it really ironic that the name of that website is 'wired'?

Spaz on
    graffitisig.gif