As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New kitty, helping adjust

browneyedsquirrelbrowneyedsquirrel Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just got my beautiful lil kitty today. I brought her home early this evening and she is very timid and skittish. We've shown her around and pet and held her a lot and then let her hide for a bit.

Now it is bedtime and she finally came out from under the bed when the lights went out. She's running around mewing quite pitifully. She seems content enough when I put her on my bed and pet her, but she soon jumps down and skulks about mewing.

The place I adopted her from had her living comunally with other cats for the last month or so. Is she searching for the other kitties? Is there anything to do but go to bed and let her explore and mew until she figures it out?

browneyedsquirrel on

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm afraid this is a question that can't be answered without pictures. ;-)

She might be missing the other kittens, but I'm sure she's also exploring her new surroundings. Seems pretty normal to me. I'd just make sure to give her as much attention as you can, talking softly and gently and all that (which it sounds like you're doing), to make sure she's not too intimidated by her new home.

Taximes on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Taximes wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is a question that can't be answered without pictures. ;-)
    Yeah, it's a serious infraction to ask a kitten question and not post pictures.*

*Not actually true.

Basically, do what Taximes says. Lots of attention, let her check out her new place. Eventually, she'll become accustomed to it, and have you trained taking care of her.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    If your place is large, try keeping her in one room for a while, then slowly introducing her to new rooms.

Medopine on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Morbo demands pictures of the cute kitty!

Our friendly cat became shy when we moved last month. For the first two weeks he hid under the couch most of the time. We just left him alone, left his toys scattered around, and now he's fine. We think it was the carpet that threw him of the most, as he's been a city cat all his life, re: hardwood floors.

Just let the kitty get comfortable, and she'll open up once her scent is on enough furniture.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Lol, thanks guys.

I was just worried that she was going to freak out once I fell asleep and stopped mewing back at her (we held a conversation for a good hour or so).

I finally got to bed after she curled up next to me, she seems to be better.

*Yawn* okay off to work, hope she's up for a cat nap later because I will be!

I'll post pictures if I can (gotta get a hold of a digital camera).

browneyedsquirrel on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just give her time and let her come to you at her own pace. :)

You might consider going back and adopting a second kitten, they get into less trouble when you're away if they have another kitten to entertain them. And it's twice the cute! ;)

LadyM on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LadyM wrote: »
    Just give her time and let her come to you at her own pace. :)

You might consider going back and adopting a second kitten, they get into less trouble when you're away if they have another kitten to entertain them. And it's twice the cute! ;)
    Yup yup and more pictures for all that's good :D

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It is actually advisable to adopt two kittens at once. I work at a cat adoption center and can say such things!

Regardless, this sounds like pretty normal behavior. She'll calm down after a night or two.

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zeeb! wrote: »
    It is actually advisable to adopt two kittens at once. I work at a cat adoption center and can say such things!

Regardless, this sounds like pretty normal behavior. She'll calm down after a night or two.

Yep, ALL adult cats seem to go straight under the bed the first day at their new home. Different cats have different personalities -- you can almost predict what yours will be based on how long it takes them to come out from under the bed.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zeeb! wrote: »
    It is actually advisable to adopt two kittens at once.

That way you run less of a chance off getting that psycho cat. Two will keep each other company when you're not around.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So... um...

Pictures?

I would suggest food as a lure, if she stays under the bed all the time, just put it a little ways out. Keep moving it away as she gets used to it, until it is where it was planned to be.
    Same with litterbox too.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    Frenchii5Frenchii5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I fifth the motion for you to go back to the adoption center and adopt another adorable, cuddly, sweet baby kitten!!! :D

Assuming, of course, that you have the time and money to devote to another one! And then take pictures of them both! :P

Frenchii5 on
    homemadehpforumsigse4.png
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Toy mice and empty cardboard boxes.

I don't know why but cats seem to love empty boxes. My parents have one and she loves exploring empty boxes. Then she'll sit in one waiting and if you make scratching sounds on the outside she tries to dig through the box to get to what sounds like a mouse.

Koekjes on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Empty boxes do not compare to empty paper grocery bags (for the love of god, not plastic, no dead kitties please).

You may want to try letting the kitten lay on you a bit, or nuzzle up in the crook of your arm. HOWEVER: Be very careful about how you lay down around the cat. Make sure you're in a situation where you rolling over on to it is NOT possible.

The last thing you want to wake up to is a suffocated kitten under your chest.

--

Also, I suggest deciding on how you want to communicate with the cat. Right now is when you can encourage certain behaviors. Remember that these behaviors will get much bigger when it grows up. If you want a real communicator, I suggest making lots of small body motions, like bobbing your head, or making distinct noises (a good mew can start interspecies dialogue), such as the kitten's name, -especially- in how you intend to call it over to you.

We use these methods with our cats, and they come running from blocks away when we call.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the responses!

Unfortunately I am not in a situation to take on two cats right now. Though once I move into a bigger place and have started my career I have certainly considered I might want to get another one.

My lil' darling is a year just over a year old, small female calico named Marble. I was going to link her pic from the shelter's website that I adopted her from but they already took it down :(

She's doing a wee bit better the past day or so. She only hides mostly during the day now and seems a little more inclined to explore at night. She has found out where I sleep and makes herself at home there when I'm sleeping.

She'll explore when I'm laying about on the floor or the couch but still spooks if I try to sit up or stand, but we'll get there. She's naturally shy so I'm trying to be as gentle as possible with her. When she's left alone for a while or if it gets really quiet she'll start mewing and I'll answer her mews and she'll sneak out to find me, it's cute because she has a very meek meow.

I noticed last night during a rowdy bout with some catnip that when she runs she has a slight limp. You can't notice it at all when she walks but it's obvious when she runs. Should I take her to the vet and have it checked out?

browneyedsquirrel on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I noticed last night during a rowdy bout with some catnip that when she runs she has a slight limp. You can't notice it at all when she walks but it's obvious when she runs. Should I take her to the vet and have it checked out?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you feel the need to spend the money to go see a vet.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Have you already had her checked out for feline leukemia and rabies shots all that? And is she already fixed?

Lots of cats that come from shelters come along with a limp/injury sustained from abuse :(. Did the shelter say anything about it or do you think she got hurt recently? I'd give it a few days and if it gets worse/obviously bothers her, think about taking her in.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yep, she came current with all her shots and tests, spayed (neutered?) and whatnot.

The shelter didn't say anything about her having any accidents that would have left her with a limp, and they did tell me a little about her history of the past year at the shelter (bout with ring worm, poor thing).

I have a coupon for a free vet visit I'm supposed to use within two weeks of adoption, so I plan on taking her anyway, just curious if it was okay if I waited for a few days.

I did try feeling/examining the paw to see if there were any open wounds. I didn't see any and besides the normal finicky cat dislike of having their paws held she didn't seem to feel any pain at me touching it.

browneyedsquirrel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah she's probably fine then. Use the coupon though, that's a sweet deal (and they can give you even more advice on how to acclimate her to your home).

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So I took my kitty in for her check up today and got some bad news....

She has a grade 3 medial luxating patella that is causing the limping and if it doesn't clear up in a month or so they suggest surgery...

The vetrinarian said it could cost between $800-$1200 for the surgery. Yikes. Does anyone have any advice for me here? Is there some way to mediate cost?

When I adopted her I got a free month of ShelterCare insurance, but it doesn't cover patella luxation and I'm not sure if I could upgrade to have it cover it because it won't cover pre-existing conditions (just like every other piece of shit insurance agency for human and beast).

Does anyone have any experience with ShelterCare? Is it possible for me to upgrade without telling them about the condition since she was already signed up under the program?

How do I help my poor kitty without taking a major dent to the wallet?

browneyedsquirrel on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    that really sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it. You should be asking the shelter you adopted it from some very hard questions why they didn't know about this before, especially if it is pre-existing.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm guessing they didn't know because you can only see the limp when she runs and well.... kitties don't do a whole lot of running in shelter-type situations. D:

browneyedsquirrel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm guessing they didn't know because you can only see the limp when she runs and well.... kitties don't do a whole lot of running in shelter-type situations. D:

Any respectable shelter would have had the cat checked out by a vet before they put it up for adoption. The one in my area will not even display an animal until it has a clean bill of health and all the paperwork to go with it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »

Any respectable shelter would have had the cat checked out by a vet before they put it up for adoption. The one in my area will not even display an animal until it has a clean bill of health and all the paperwork to go with it.

Definitely talk to the shelter you adopted the kitty from. Also, check your adoption paperwork, it might have some options on there as well.

It may sound strange, but most of them offer a '10 day trial' type thing, where if the pet comes up with something that they didn't see before, you trade it in. Just an option, sucks man. :|

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Aurin wrote: »

Definitely talk to the shelter you adopted the kitty from. Also, check your adoption paperwork, it might have some options on there as well.

It may sound strange, but most of them offer a '10 day trial' type thing, where if the pet comes up with something that they didn't see before, you trade it in. Just an option, sucks man. :|

Lol, trial or no trial I will not be trading her in for a new cat! She's my baby and I love her, I just want to know how to make the best of the situation. I'll talk to the shelter tomorrow and see what they can do for me, if anything.

browneyedsquirrel on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Lol, trial or no trial I will not be trading her in for a new cat! She's my baby and I love her, I just want to know how to make the best of the situation. I'll talk to the shelter tomorrow and see what they can do for me, if anything.

Totally understandable, hope the adoption center will be able to help. :)

Aurin on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    2nd opinion from a known good vet?

Adopted the runt of a litter a few years back and the poor thing eventually developed a bad case of bone spurs around her back right ankle. She started limping one day just a little and it got worse pretty quick. Long story short, vet put in a pin to immobilize the joint. After the surgery her foot swelled up & looked like a clown shoe. I didn't know a cat's back foot could get that huge. Pin eventually worked it's way out after a year or so but it was in long enough to immobilize the joint permanently which is what the doc was hoping for. She's been fine ever since despite having no ability to move her ankle. The tiny little shit runs the house now. =D

If the cat ends up having to either have the corrective surgery or (worst case) an amputation she should be fine. I've also got a 3 legged cat that we adopted (theorize he was hit by a car as he arrived at humane society with a mashed leg and a cracked hip) and he gets around great. Our vet said back in vet school the joke was that cats have 3 legs and a spare.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You may be able to talk them into paying for half, or something like that. I've heard of some of the shelters around here doing that for cats adopted out of them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    browneyedsquirrel was having problems posting the pictures, so here they are.

dcp1569el9.th.jpg

dcp1576cx9.th.jpg

dcp1577es5.th.jpg

dcp1579bo9.th.jpg

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    so much cuteness

wunderbar on