Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Phalla] Witch Trials - The village wins... or do they?

NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Archives
The settlement of Phalla has uncovered a holy relic. Needless to say, everyone was delighted at such a display of God’s favor. That is, until they noticed that it was imperfect. What should have been a bright glow was marred by malevolent red and black streaks covering a portion of its surface.

The minister wrote letters to colleagues, describing the imperfections. His colleagues wrote to others, who tracked down a bit of nearly-forgotten lore. The streaks were an indication of demon-spawn in the settlement. Specifically, the colors and shapes described seemed to indicate two different types of evil having taken root.

There were witches – mortals who had sold their souls to Satan in exchange for supernatural powers – and there were changelings – evil spirits who can take the form of mortals and live their lives. Fortunately, the lore assured them, both can be defeated using the same methods, and as the influence of the demonic forces lessens, the streaks should disappear and the relic should glow more and more brightly.

Upon discovering these evil influences, the thirteen families of Phalla naturally wanted to rid themselves of such things. To that end, they decided to select one person each night to subject to a trial by water. Should this trial show an evil heart, they would, of course, burn the demon-spawn at the stake. Being of fair mind, and convinced that God would not let them execute a holy citizen, they decided to allow each family one vote each night to choose who to try that evening.

However, the settlement was rife with accusations. Children stepped forward, bringing real and imagined sins of their elders to light, and the settlement felt they must try those accused each night as well. Zealots thought themselves touched by God and sought to take justice into their own hands. The witches began killing – first livestock, then humans. The changelings began killing as well. All was chaos.

And Satan laughed.

Night One Narration

Night Two Narration

Night Three Narration

Night Four Narration

Night Five Narration, such as it is

Night Six Narration

Night Seven Narration

Night Eight Narration

Nerissa on
Personally, I like D&D because I find OCD much more interesting than ADD.

• GnastyGnasty Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Seriously. As a child, you're all dirty witches, except for the other children. I think my goal is to have there be at least 5 votes for death tomorrow.
    I have a feeling that that isn't in the village's best interests.

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    I recommend killing Squashua for placing the first vote.

I suggest we not be hasty in our rush to blood. I for one am saddened by the violent turn this has taken.

Trogg wrote: »
    Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

I recommend you don't speak until spoken to, whelp.

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously. As a child, you're all dirty witches, except for the other children. I think my goal is to have there be at least 5 votes for death tomorrow.

What do I care? I don't have a vote. :P

edited June 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

You're not my father!

Why don't you go have sex with oh wait I don't have your secret. Nevermind.

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Clarification : The two children who come forward with the secret have to be the two who originally knew this secret from the start, not just any two who came to know of the information?

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I suppose the children ought to wait until some visions start rolling in.

BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just so you guys know, my husband has taken note of the URL of the board just to read this thread. He is greatly amused so far. :D

• FrosteeyFrosteey 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Color=orange

Can children have the sins of their own parents? Don't make me take off this belt.

frosteey.gif
    edited June 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

Heh. I wasn't going to bring our fussin and a fuedin into this but that's no way to speak to our precious children.

I !vote Squashua as a bringer of strife!

edited June 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Clarification : The two children who come forward with the secret have to be the two who originally knew this secret from the start, not just any two who came to know of the information?

Correct, although letting other children know your secret might help you track down the other child who started with your secret (they might know who you should be talking to).

• visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »
    Just so you guys know, my husband has taken note of the URL of the board just to read this thread. He is greatly amused so far. :D

Which child has Nerissa's husband's dirty secret?

>.>

DogSig.gif
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Don't make me take off this belt.

Please, no. We wouldn't want your pants to fall down.

Or is that the belt from your shoes or hat?

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey Buzz

Don't think I wouldn't sacrafice my own child!

edited June 2007

I think we should save the extra executions until the village size has been reduced. We'll have a better chance of hitting a bad guy that way.

Also, children:

The bad guys will probably want to eliminate those of us who have their secrets so that we can't cause the special executions against them. Since a few of us have shared our secrets, if we start dieing, look at whose secrets we held.

i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited June 2007
    Color=orange

Can children have the sins of their own parents? Don't make me take off this belt.

Sins were assigned to the children without regard to their family, so it is entirely possible that your child can know your sins. I haven't looked to see if this is the case for any child in particular, but odds are it happened at least once.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I think we should save the extra executions until the village size has been reduced. We'll have a better chance of hitting a bad guy that way.

Also, children:

The bad guys will probably want to eliminate those of us who have their secrets so that we can't cause the special executions against them. Since a few of us have shared our secrets, if we start dieing, look at whose secrets we held.

I don't see how an adult is going to find out which child has which secret.

edited June 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »
    Color=orange

Sins were assigned to the children without regard to their family, so it is entirely possible that your child can know your sins. I haven't looked to see if this is the case for any child in particular, but odds are it happened at least once.

Praise the Lord that Social Services have yet to be discovered....I mean...uhm....Squashua's mean.

edited June 2007
    Zek wrote: »

Also, children:

A few of us have shared our secret with the entire child population. There is bound to be at least one bad guy within our group. At the moment we each have too many secrets for one of our deaths to cause a witch hunt, but later in the game, if it is noticed that one of us died early on and three of the four people we had secrets of also died (and we don't believe them to be bad guys), the fourth and still alive person might be evil or something.

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Also, children:

they aren't, unless we accuse them and the kill fails.

or we threaten them in private.

edit - or what gnasty said, we are snitched on by the evil children.

BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
    edited June 2007
    OK, I think I've gotten all of the questions. Anything I missed, or any other questions, before I go away for a couple of hours?

edited June 2007
    Clarification: Can you increase the time window for the second child to speak up? One hour is an extremely limited window and might not always be possible with everyone living in different places.

i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited June 2007

Also, children:

A few of us have shared our secret with the entire child population. There is bound to be at least one bad guy within our group. At the moment we each have too many secrets for one of our deaths to cause a witch hunt, but later in the game, if it is noticed that one of us died early on and three of the four people we had secrets of also died (and we don't believe them to be bad guys), the fourth and still alive person might be evil or something.
    Well, I guess for example a witch child could tell the adult witches who has their secrets. Maybe it's not such a good idea to broadcast yours to everyone then :P

edited June 2007
    Clarification: Can you increase the time window for the second child to speak up? One hour is an extremely limited window and might not always be possible with everyone living in different places.

Well, part of the intent was that you would need to coordinate a time that worked for both of you, so you would be coming forward together.

I'll make it two hours, even on opposite sides of the world, you ought to be able to come up with a 2-hour window that you can both get to. If any two children can't manage to come up with a 2-hour window, PM me and I'll consider extending it further.

edited June 2007

Also, children:

Well, I guess for example a witch child could tell the adult witches who has their secrets. Maybe it's not such a good idea to broadcast yours to everyone then :P
    Yeah but then we don't really have anything to do.

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    On the other hand, let's say two children die on day 1. Bam. Probably about 7 adults are instantly safe from having their secrets revealed. The village getting a ton more random kills than the monsters is -generally- useful, not harmful.

Of course, I just like bloodshed.

The Bakersfield family votes Plutonium as a dirty witch.

Suck it, mom and dad.

Not true, we can make meaningless votes and cause chaos.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I'm pretty sure your parents gave you some chores to do. You should leave the gossip to us housewives. After years of 'belt justice', we need the distraction more than you do.

edited June 2007
    Wait why are you allowed to vote?

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So if neither the mom nor the dad serve up a vote, does that mean the child can throw one out?

fiV9i14.jpg
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey guys, because this game is a little confusing and it's difficult to keep track of people, can we put our roles in our titles? I am going to change mine to "Goodwife Bakersfield" in a second.

EDIT: ARODUC! Aroduc, you naughty piece of shit, I'm going to spank your itsy bisty behind until you have to poop out your mouth!

NEVER VOTE AGAIN

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hey guys, because this game is a little confusing and it's difficult to keep track of people, can we put our roles in our titles? I am going to change mine to "Goodwife Bakersfield" in a second.

Only if you promise to take care of your child. He's always been the trouble maker in town.

EDIT: Thank you Hakk :)

edited June 2007
    On the other hand, let's say two children die on day 1. Bam. Probably about 7 adults are instantly safe from having their secrets revealed. The village getting a ton more random kills than the monsters is -generally- useful, not harmful.

Of course, I just like bloodshed.

The Bakersfield family votes Plutonium as a dirty witch.

Suck it, mom and dad.

Not true, we can make meaningless votes and cause chaos.

Looks like somebody just volunteered to be first on the chopping block.

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    So if neither the mom nor the dad serve up a vote, does that mean the child can throw one out?

Yes. My parents can't vote today for reason of being drunk.

For the next 22 hours.

You heard me.

edited June 2007

correct, although remember you still have a whole day for your parents to vote.

This was mostly intended to keep families who ended up with deadbeat (or dead) husbands from being entirely disenfrachised, since your vote doesn't count unless it's the only one your family puts forth.

edited June 2007
    Oh lawd, what am I going to do with this child?

I need a porch, a rocking chair, a fan, and legions of other housewives to listen to my exasperated complaints about my little turd of a kid.

edited June 2007
    These are some crazy parental figures. Ms. Bakersfield will her tune awful quick once I get this film developed.

fiV9i14.jpg
    edited June 2007
    The Charles Family votes for Zek, at least until James and Grundlterror show up.

Threatening a child? What is wrong with you?

i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited June 2007
    Hey no wait guys

God likes strict upbringings

It is the way of the Lord

edited June 2007
    ok guys, I'm outta here, have fun :)

I'll check back before bed time in case there are further questions.

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    Technically, I think I'm supposed to be plotting for the death of my parents at the moment anyway. They have the same chance of being a monster as everybody else, and killing them would give me power.

Oh.

Right, also, be wary of children who quickly rise to power, since then they get votes to protect themeslves and if they're monsters or whatever that makes them all the safer.

This discussion has been closed.