Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Phalla] Witch Trials - The village wins... or do they?

NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Archives
The settlement of Phalla has uncovered a holy relic. Needless to say, everyone was delighted at such a display of God’s favor. That is, until they noticed that it was imperfect. What should have been a bright glow was marred by malevolent red and black streaks covering a portion of its surface.

The minister wrote letters to colleagues, describing the imperfections. His colleagues wrote to others, who tracked down a bit of nearly-forgotten lore. The streaks were an indication of demon-spawn in the settlement. Specifically, the colors and shapes described seemed to indicate two different types of evil having taken root.

There were witches – mortals who had sold their souls to Satan in exchange for supernatural powers – and there were changelings – evil spirits who can take the form of mortals and live their lives. Fortunately, the lore assured them, both can be defeated using the same methods, and as the influence of the demonic forces lessens, the streaks should disappear and the relic should glow more and more brightly.

Upon discovering these evil influences, the thirteen families of Phalla naturally wanted to rid themselves of such things. To that end, they decided to select one person each night to subject to a trial by water. Should this trial show an evil heart, they would, of course, burn the demon-spawn at the stake. Being of fair mind, and convinced that God would not let them execute a holy citizen, they decided to allow each family one vote each night to choose who to try that evening.

However, the settlement was rife with accusations. Children stepped forward, bringing real and imagined sins of their elders to light, and the settlement felt they must try those accused each night as well. Zealots thought themselves touched by God and sought to take justice into their own hands. The witches began killing – first livestock, then humans. The changelings began killing as well. All was chaos.

And Satan laughed.

Night One Narration

Night Two Narration

Night Three Narration

Night Four Narration

Night Five Narration, such as it is

Night Six Narration

Night Seven Narration

Night Eight Narration

Nerissa on
Personally, I like D&D because I find OCD much more interesting than ADD.

• NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rules

First, the basics
    • See basic Phalla rules here if you need them.

• For the most part, the dead don’t talk to the living and the living don’t talk to the dead. If you have the power to break this rule, you will be explicitly told when you receive the power.

• No anonymous communication. (If you PM / IM / email / etc. someone regarding the game, they must know who you are.)

• No screen-captures of PMs, IMs, e-mails, or of any other non-public form of communication are to be used. (If you want to take a screencap of the public game thread, go for it – although I don’t know what good it would do you.)

• The initial PMs are designed to not give away any information, but in case I missed something, you may not forward, quote, or otherwise convey verbatim the contents of your initial PM. If you need to get the information to someone, paraphrase it.

• Votes and PMs for a given day must be timestamped no later than 9:15 PM EDT. I will not make a “voting closed” post each day, anything timestamped after 9:15 will not be counted. I will try to have narrations posted before 9:45, but some nights may take longer (depending on how long it takes me to get the munchkin to bed, and how long it takes me to write something passable for the narration and for the various other activities that take place)

• Please mark any requests for rules clarifications in this thread by including the word clarification in bold orange somewhere in your post to be certain it catches my eye. Of course, you can always PM me as well if you don’t wish your request to be public.

There are 13 families in the settlement of Phalla. Each family is represented by a husband, a wife, and the eldest child. Each family gets one vote per day, plus one vote in any additional village decisions. Retractions should be made in the SAME color as the original vote. Do NOT go back and change your prior vote post. If you do so, I may or may not recognize the change.

The Husband’s Role -- Voting
    Normally, the vote will be exercised by the husband of the family. However, in cases where the husband is unable to vote, the wife may vote in his place. If neither parent is able to vote, the child may vote that day. Votes are to be made in bold red, and must contain your family name. For example, The Smith Family votes for Hester to be executed. Families should discuss in advance who will make the vote, since multiple members voting may nullify the family’s vote completely. (See the Wife’s Role)

The Wife’s Role – Keeping the Husband in Line
    On any given day, a wife may nullify her husband’s vote. She does this by making her nullification bold lime. For example, Arthur is an idiot, and I disagree with his vote for Hester. In this case, the husband’s vote will not be counted on that day. Wives should include both their husband’s name and the name of the person they voted for in the limed text. I would also prefer if they include their family name, but it is not required. If a wife makes a vote in place of her husband, and the husband votes later that day (for someone else), it will also be treated as if the wife has nullified the husband’s vote, unless the wife retracts her vote.

The Child’s Role and the Adults’ Secrets
    All adults in the village have secret sins. These are completely unrelated to their faction. These secrets range from the mundane to the extraordinary. The children each begin the game knowing 4 adults’ sins, with every adult’s sin being known by exactly two children, and no two children sharing knowledge of more than one sin.

If two children both have knowledge of the same adult’s sin, they may, if they wish, accuse that adult. However, they both must know who the other child is before they make their accusation, and both must agree to it. They make their accusation by posting it and the other child’s name in bold yellow. For example, Mary and I !accuse Hester of having carnal knowledge of a donkey.. Both children must post the same secret (the person’s name and their secret) within the same 2-hour window (Note, this is extended from the original 1 hour), and both children must include the other child’s name in their post, along with the accused person’s name and their sin.

Accusations may not be retracted. Children may only post secrets that they started the game with. Secrets may NOT be discussed in the presence of adults (in the public thread or via other methods) until they are officially posted in the thread in the proper format. Children must use PMs or non-forum communications to determine which other children they share secrets with and when they wish to use them.

Each adult may only be accused once, and no child may make more than one accusation per night. However, children are not required to decide whether to accuse an adult the day they find the other child with the same secret. They may choose to hold on to that information and accuse the adult at a later time, so long as they and the adult they wish to accuse are all alive.

If a child posts a secret and the other child does not also post the same secret within the time limit, or if a child posts information publicly about a secret that has not already been formally revealed, then the child making the post will be up for a yes/no vote for execution the following night (as described in the following paragraph). There is no limit to the number of times a child can be placed up for this type of a vote.

When an adult is accused by a pair of children, a separate vote will be held the next day, in addition to the regular vote. That vote will simply be a yes/no vote on whether to execute the accused in addition to the person chosen by the regular vote. Votes on whether or not to execute the accused will be bold and cyan. For example, !Yes, execute Hester, or !No, do not execute Hester. If a wife wishes to nullify her husband’s vote on a yes/no, she should make her dissent in the same color. For example. I !disagree with Arthur’s vote to execute Hester, he’s just jealous of her mad donkey-sucking skillz..These votes must include the accused person’s name, since there is the potential for more than one of these in the same day. Wifes' nullifications should also include their husband's name. It would be nice if they also included their family name, but not required.

In keeping with the spirit of the setting, please make every attempt to keep your secrets safe. Remember, these are your neighbors, as dysfunctional as they may be, and you do not want them knowing your sins. After the game is over, or after your secret is revealed by a pair of children, you can share all you want, but please do everything in your power to keep them to yourselves until that time.

Summary of the secrets mechanics: If I am a child, I’ll start the game with 4 adults’ secrets. I may not mention any of these secrets in public until I find another child that started the game with one of the same secrets as I did. Then, once we have convinced each other that we have the same secret, we may, if we wish, go public with this secret, however the decision must be mutual, and we both must make the accusation within a 2-hour window. If we do go public with the secret, then the next night each family votes on whether to execute the person whose secret we revealed in addition to the normal execution vote. If that person is not executed, their secret is now public knowledge and cannot be used against them in the future. If I do reveal my information publicly, or if I accuse someone without mentioning the other child's name, or if the other child does not also accuse them, then I am up for a yes/no vote the following day on whether to be executed.

Specials
    • 3 witches – as a group, they sacrifice one person a night on their unholy altar.
    • 3 changelings – as a group, they kill one person a night.
    • 2 zealots (vigilantes).— between them may kill one person a night (one on odd nights, the other on even nights) If one zealot dies, the other still only gets to kill in his / her original nights.
    • 3 people who are sensitive to spirit communication (seers). These people will not know who they are until they receive their first vision. They will have no control over who they see in their visions.
    • 3 pairs of villagers who know their partner to be innocent. .

The Dead

A separate thread will be created for the ghosts of those who die. The living may not view the spirit world, but the spirits may view the living world. The living and the dead may not speak with one another. The spirits will have control of some of the special powers, but only they will know for certain what they are or how they work. Everything the living need to know about the spirit world will be found right here. The living are NOT to be reading the spirit thread.

Win Conditions and Monitoring Progress

The holy relic begins the game glowing faintly with malevolent red and black streaks covering about 15% of its surface. In each night’s narration, the relic will be observed to show the proportions of good and evil among the living villagers by amount of its surface covered in malevolent streaks. Changes in the state of the relic will be your only clue as to the roles of the villagers who died on a given night.

The village wins if the relic is wiped free of streaks (all witches and changelings are dead).

The witches win if the relic is over half black (indicating that over half of the living players are witches) with no streaks of red.

The changelings win if the relic is over half red (indicating that over half of the living players are changelings) with no streaks of black.

edited June 2007
    The Players:

The Adams Family: Husband - frandelgearslip Dead - Night 5
    Wife - Malkor Slain by Vigilante - Night 1
    Eldest Child - Senior Fish - Staked and Crossed - Night 6

The Bakersfield Family: Husband - Aldo Convicted of torturing small animals - Night 4
    Wife - Hakkekage
    Eldest Child - Aroduc Sacrificed on the unholy altar - Night 3

The Charles Family: Husband - James Sacrificed - Night 5
    Wife - Grundlterror Dead - Night 5
    Eldest Child - Gnasty Drained by Changelings - Night 2

The Dimsdale Family: Husband - Squashua Couldn't swim tied to a chair - Night 1
    Wife - drinkinstout Drained by Changelings - Night 3
    Eldest Child - DiscGrace

The Flanders Family: Husband - Casual Eddy Slain by Vigilante - Night 2
    Wife - precisionk - Drained - Night 6
    Eldest Child - tuxkamen Sacrificed by Witches - Night 1

The Horton Family: Husband - Last Son Was he blind by the end? We'll never know. - Night 4
    Wife - Xorexnar Voted for swimming lessons - Night 3
    Eldest Child - Elkamil

The Johnson Family: Husband - MrBallbaggins Sacrificed - Night 8
    Wife - Plutonium Also does not float - Night 7
    Eldest Child - Buzz Buzz

The Kensington Family: Husband - Elbonian Man Given his final bath - Night 2
    Wife - Lord Cecil Eaglelaser Drained - Night 7
    Eldest Child - cj iwakura Drained by Changelings - Night 1

The Nelson Family: Husband - Elendil - Floated and Burned - Night 6
    Wife - visiblehowl Sacrificed - Night 7
    Eldest Child - an_alt Never learned to swim - Night 8

The Proctor Family: Husband - Frosteey - Vigilante'd Night 3
    Wife - Ardor Drained - Night 8
    Eldest Child - robothero Staked and crossed - Night 4

The Prynne Family: Husband - Marx - Drained on watch - Night 4
    Wife - Bad Kitty You know what they do to unwanted cats around here - Night 4
    Eldest Child - Variable Voted off the island - Night 4

The Roberts Family: Husband - FunkyWaltDogg Sacrificed on the Witches' altar - Night 2
    Wife - Zek Convicted of performing sinful acts on her poor departed husband - Night 3
    Eldest Child - Dread Pirate Cassandra

The Smith Family: Husband - DevoutlyApathetic
    Wife - ElJeffe - Joined the witches for a sacrifice - Night 6
    Eldest Child - thorgot Drowndeded - Night 5

Wait List
    1. titmouse
    2. FirstComradeStalin
    3. AcidSerra
    4. TehSpectre

PMs have all been sent. If you are listed as a player and have not yet received a PM, let me know and I will re-send it.

The first vote will be counted Monday night.

Let the witch hunt begin!

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds interesting and slightly confusing. Should be a fun game.

• Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Clarification: When children are accusing someone, they have to have already been in contact, verified that they have the same secret, and then agreed to accuse someone. Presumably this all happens in private so how is it verifiable, and what if things aren't done correctly?

For the price of one of my novels (Hardback, historical/alternative historical/dinosaurs) I can get 2 or 3 Manga for the price of my book. I think its about what you can afford and stuff.
    edited June 2007
    So. It looks like secrets simply allow the village to throw out an extra execution vote per night if I read this correctly, provided the children follow the rules.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So all the children are innocent? Also you may all refer to me as Goody Malkor.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmmm......

This is interesting.

Trogg wrote: »
    Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

Uh... why would you think that?

Although we just sort of sit here and do absolutely for the most part. *grumble*

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2007
    mommy ardor touches me in naughty places :)

• AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I should be back to full internetsing tomorrow, so hey, add me to the waitlist, I've been waiting to see how this game would turn out for some time...

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So the children have no voting power whatsoever? Eh. At least we can feed the adults to the fire.

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User
    edited June 2007
    The one-hour limit seems incredibly restrictive to me. The window should be three hours, at the very least.

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    Clarification:
    Are we allowed to threaten/extort adults with the promise of revealing their secret? Also, if I'm reading this right, if one of the children who has the secret dies, then that adult is now safe from secret revealing or whatever, yes?

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I agree on the hour being changed to at least three hours, just because we're working with people in different time zones.

fhBqOWH.jpg?1
    Oathkeeper Updates Monday/Wednesday/Friday
    edited June 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

Although we just sort of sit here and do absolutely for the most part. *grumble*

Eh, you've got the most built in behind the scenes networking bit to do. The issue is that you and one other child acts as an extra special one time kinda vigilante for a villager (edit: Player would be a better word here), you have the potential to do this on four different people.

As for voting it doesn't make it clear but if the father of a family dies I believe the wife gets to vote followed by the child. Though I don't think the child gets to veto the wife.

Clarification: If the wife vetoes that family enters no vote, is this a correct statement?

edited June 2007
    Clarification: When children are accusing someone, they have to have already been in contact, verified that they have the same secret, and then agreed to accuse someone. Presumably this all happens in private so how is it verifiable, and what if things aren't done correctly?

Correct, this is all done in private. If you stumble in private and say something you shouldn't, there is no repercussions. If you post incorrectly in the game thread, you are up for the same type of vote the next night as an accused adult would be.

Children do not have sins, but they have the same chance as anyone else of being a witch or changeling.

Basically, much of the children's activity takes place in private. Once they have decided to accuse someone, they need to coordinate if and when they will accuse someone.

edited June 2007
    Clarification:
    Are we allowed to threaten/extort adults with the promise of revealing their secret? Also, if I'm reading this right, if one of the children who has the secret dies, then that adult is now safe from secret revealing or whatever, yes?

Correct, and go for it, but it leaves you open to them trying to get you killed as well to keep their secret safe.

edited June 2007
    robothero wrote: »

*Smacks robothero*

I thought we brought you up better than to spread nasty rumors about your dear mother.

In all seriousness, I think we should consider the following:

Witches can be children or wives only due to female gender.
    The changelings can be some mix of the three different family roles.

So I don't believe we can consider the children to be all safe from wrong-doing. Well, other than my own. He's up for some family justice I think.

edited June 2007

Eh, you've got the most built in behind the scenes networking bit to do. The issue is that you and one other child acts as an extra special one time kinda vigilante for a villager (edit: Player would be a better word here), you have the potential to do this on four different people.

As for voting it doesn't make it clear but if the father of a family dies I believe the wife gets to vote followed by the child. Though I don't think the child gets to veto the wife.

Clarification: If the wife vetoes that family enters no vote, is this a correct statement?

That is correct, and yes, if the husband dies, the wife inherits control of the vote with no veto. If the wife dies, then the child gets the vote.

If the wife simply does not vote on a night, the child may also vote. If the wife votes later, the child's vote is simply ignored.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can the children be changelings? I mean, the mom did give birth to them. Unless they were killed and replaced with changelings, I guess.

edited June 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »

*Smacks robothero*

I thought we brought you up better than to spread nasty rumors about your dear mother.

In all seriousness, I think we should consider the following:

Witches can be children or wives only due to female gender.
    The changelings can be some mix of the three different family roles.

So I don't believe we can consider the children to be all safe from wrong-doing. Well, other than my own. He's up for some family justice I think.

While this would be historically accurate, I did not take family position into account when assigning bad guy roles. Witches could be anyone.

edited June 2007
    Man you adults are slutty.

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Until my wife and child arrive for private discussion and since 'tis late on a Sunday and it should be good to have a default in line, The Dimsdale family votes goodie Ardor Proctor for execution, as only a witch would be quick enough to have the first post after the Original Post edit and subsequent rules posts.

This is assuming I can RETRACT the family vote if need-be, as you say nothing of the sort in the OP.

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
    edited June 2007
    I recommend killing Squashua for placing the first vote.

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously. As a child, you're all dirty witches, except for the other children. I think my goal is to have there be at least 5 votes for death tomorrow.

edited June 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Until my wife and child arrive for private discussion and since 'tis late on a Sunday and it should be good to have a default in line, The Dimsdale family votes goodie Ardor Proctor for execution, as only a witch would be quick enough to have the first post after the Original Post.

This is assuming I can RETRACT the family vote if need-be, as you say nothing of the sort in the OP.

Yes, you can retract -- make retractions in the same color as the original vote (in this case, red)

• VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I agree. we need to take control of this sinful town.

(first vote tonight or tomorrow?)

BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
    edited June 2007
    Seriously. As a child, you're all dirty witches, except for the other children. I think my goal is to have there be at least 5 votes for death tomorrow.
    I have a feeling that that isn't in the village's best interests.

i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited June 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

I suggest we not be hasty in our rush to blood. I for one am saddened by the violent turn this has taken.

edited June 2007

I recommend you don't speak until spoken to, whelp.

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a feeling that that isn't in the village's best interests.

What do I care? I don't have a vote. :P

edited June 2007

You're not my father!

Why don't you go have sex with oh wait I don't have your secret. Nevermind.

i just wanna 'be myself'
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Clarification : The two children who come forward with the secret have to be the two who originally knew this secret from the start, not just any two who came to know of the information?

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I suppose the children ought to wait until some visions start rolling in.

BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
    edited June 2007
    Just so you guys know, my husband has taken note of the URL of the board just to read this thread. He is greatly amused so far. :D

• FrosteeyFrosteey 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Color=orange

Can children have the sins of their own parents? Don't make me take off this belt.

frosteey.gif
    edited June 2007

Heh. I wasn't going to bring our fussin and a fuedin into this but that's no way to speak to our precious children.

I !vote Squashua as a bringer of strife!

edited June 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Clarification : The two children who come forward with the secret have to be the two who originally knew this secret from the start, not just any two who came to know of the information?

Correct, although letting other children know your secret might help you track down the other child who started with your secret (they might know who you should be talking to).

• visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »
    Just so you guys know, my husband has taken note of the URL of the board just to read this thread. He is greatly amused so far. :D

Which child has Nerissa's husband's dirty secret?

>.>

DogSig.gif
    edited June 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Don't make me take off this belt.

Please, no. We wouldn't want your pants to fall down.

Or is that the belt from your shoes or hat?

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.