As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should We Support Abuse Of A Setting?

2»

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    I'm not supporting it because from everything I've seen it is far too expensive for the product.

That's pretty valid. It's $75 isn't it? I wouldn't pay that much for any game that didn't come with a controller shaped like a guitar or a cockpit.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    I'm not supporting it because from everything I've seen it is far too expensive for the product.

That's pretty valid. It's $75 isn't it? I wouldn't pay that much for any game that didn't come with a controller shaped like a guitar or a cockpit.

60 for the 360 version and 50 + Live fees for Vista I think. For 60 bucks I can a single player experience, co-op missions and thousands of people playing every night. This game looks pretty fun to play but in a sea of FPSs you have to be better than 'okay' for my money. shrug which is a disappointment I wanted to play the game.

Still getting on the demo tomorrow.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Because Shadowrun was such a wildly popular and immutable license before someone paid to use it?

Actually, yeah, it was. Maybe not immutable, per se, but the storyline had continuity and a set of fundamental rules. For instance: no teleportation. Teleportation fundamentally isn't Shadowrun. It would be like Star Wars with a light-side Jedi assassin who sneaks around and force-chokes people for Yoda. At that point, it's not Star Wars anymore.
    How would that not be Star Wars anymore?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Didn't we have this argument about a year ago when news started coming out about this game?

I remember it was one of the first posts I made here, saying things like 'well, it's a videogame, that doesn't affect your enjoyment of the PnP game at all' and 'it's a popular game, sure, but hardly a massively individual one which needs protecting - cyberpunk cliches+fantasy cliches does not equal original.'

OH MY GOD THE RAGE THE HORRIBLE RAGE I RECEIVED.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Because Shadowrun was such a wildly popular and immutable license before someone paid to use it?

Actually, yeah, it was. Maybe not immutable, per se, but the storyline had continuity and a set of fundamental rules. For instance: no teleportation. Teleportation fundamentally isn't Shadowrun. It would be like Star Wars with a light-side Jedi assassin who sneaks around and force-chokes people for Yoda. At that point, it's not Star Wars anymore.

I was wondering the same thing.

What does it matter, anyways? So they call it Star Wars, but they have altered it. This seems to somehow offend people. I can understand wanting something 100% loyal, and not buying a game that doesn't give you what you want, but I don't understand being angry that the game exists.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Didn't we have this argument about a year ago when news started coming out about this game?

I remember it was one of the first posts I made here, saying things like 'well, it's a videogame, that doesn't affect your enjoyment of the PnP game at all' and 'it's a popular game, sure, but hardly a massively individual one which needs protecting - cyberpunk cliches+fantasy cliches does not equal original.'

OH MY GOD THE RAGE THE HORRIBLE RAGE I RECEIVED.
    Right, I mean if anything it would seem to expand interest and knowledge of the general setting. And the complaints that the game doesn't have "hacking" seem odd. It's a shooter - why would you imagine that hacking, even if it's a part of the game universe, would play an important role in a shooter? It strikes me as similar to saying that the SR FPS took cooking out of the SR universe because you don't have a "sautee" button on your controller.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Friend of mine got it on PC. Absolute shit, don't even touch it unless you're getting it for the 360. Could have been good had they not tried to balance between the KB+M and the controller, but that basically ruined the gameplay for me.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

What does it matter, anyways? So they call it Star Wars, but they have altered it. This seems to somehow offend people. I can understand wanting something 100% loyal, and not buying a game that doesn't give you what you want, but I don't understand being angry that the game exists.

Those last 2 sentences hit the nail on the head as to what was being the burr under my saddle. you can not buy it all you want, but I don't see any reason to be offended by the very existence of the game... especially when (the 360 version at least) is reportedly quite fun.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007

I'm pretty sure the fundamental trait of Star Wars is "contains lightsabers... maybe even space monks," just like the fundamental trait of Shadowrun is "cyberpunk/urban fantasy," not "does not contain teleportation."

So Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is fundamentally a Star Wars movie.

Man, don't even try that particular form of nonsense.

This whole thing is just complete wankery. If they had made an amazing game out of it, nobody would give a flying fuck what the little whiners thought, but oh ho, instead of "we're not going to buy it because it's a mediocre game" people seem to think that's somehow sending the message that "we're not going to buy it because it hurts our franchise."

News flash... the vast majority of the consumers out there are not rabid Shadowrun players. Their concept of it is probably something along the lines of "that p&p RPG with orcs and guns." When they see something with the Shadowrun name on it, that's the image that gets called to mind, not some elaborate "zomg no teleportation" ruleset. Who gives a flying fuck if you piss off the insane rabid fans? EVERYTHING pisses off the insane rabid fans.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Right, I mean if anything it would seem to expand interest and knowledge of the general setting. And the complaints that the game doesn't have "hacking" seem odd. It's a shooter - why would you imagine that hacking, even if it's a part of the game universe, would play an important role in a shooter? It strikes me as similar to saying that the SR FPS took cooking out of the SR universe because you don't have a "sautee" button on your controller.

A decker in the Matrix is one of the essential Shadowrun themes.

It works great in Dystopia. Which is a HL2 mod that's way more Shadowrun than this Shadowrun.

edit: as for important role: the decker can open doors for your team and close them for the other team; take control of turrets so they fire on the other team, etc etc etc.

Echo on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I'm furious id made a WWII FPS with Hitler as a chaingun-chested robo-zombie!

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Echo wrote: »

It works great in Dystopia. Which is a HL2 mod that's way more Shadowrun than this Shadowrun.

edit: as for important role: the decker can open doors for your team and close them for the other team; take control of turrets so they fire on the other team, etc etc etc.

God, that's such a fun damned game, it just needs more players.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am not angry the Shadowrun game exists.

I am worried that it will somehow make stupid executives convinced they need to redo the entire Shadowrun universe to fall in line with this new crap and the whole thing goes to shit like so many other franchises.

At which point I will become angry that the game exists.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I'm furious id made a WWII FPS with Hitler as a chaingun-chested robo-zombie!

Yes, making your own alternate WW2 setting is clearly identical to what is done with the Shadowrun setting here.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    I am not angry the Shadowrun game exists.

I am worried that it will somehow make stupid executives convinced they need to redo the entire Shadowrun universe to fall in line with this new crap and the whole thing goes to shit like so many other franchises.

At which point I will become angry that the game exists.

That's a really silly thing to worry about. The game would have to be far more successful than it is right now.

And also Shadowrun is a P&P game so, you know, you're kind of in control of the universe yourself.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    HumblePieHumblePie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I sympathize with the desire to cherish and protect anything one has come to love, including the overall character of an intellectual property. A few scenes in Phantom Menace did feel a little like an insult that I ought to defend Star Wars from. But I don't think there is a significant problem to address here. It might be wise to simply distance yourself from the instances of the IP that don't please you.

HumblePie on
    Remember that there is always another wiser than yourself. Unless you're that one guy.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Echo wrote: »

Yeah it might have been an interesting feature to integrate with some sort of competitive minigame "online" to run alongside the "real world' FPS game. I mean - sure - it could have been cool. But the fact that it's not in the FPS doesn't exactly destroy the definition of the franchise. And I repeat - they didn't even have the time or money to get a ladder-climbing animation, so an ambitious parallel virtual-game was probably somewhere down the wishlist.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i almost rushed out in the swell of fervor that is the PA forums. I am really glad I held on to my money now. 360 Summer Games seem bleak imo. This was an opener to mediocrity I fear.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    HumblePie wrote: »
    I sympathize with the desire to cherish and protect anything one has come to love, including the overall character of an intellectual property. A few scenes in Phantom Menace did feel a little like an insult that I ought to defend Star Wars from. But I don't think there is a significant problem to address here. It might be wise to simply distance yourself from the instances of the IP that don't please you.

Really I think people are just afraid of their reactions when they walk into a game store and some 14 year old turns up his nose at a Shadowrun book because the game's nothing like the 360 which is teh far superior version.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    People who whine about people who whine about shadowrun are just as annoying.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    MikeMan445 wrote: »
    People who whine about people who whine about shadowrun are just as annoying as people who post without contributing a single fucking thing.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    MikeMan445 wrote: »
    People who whine about people who whine about shadowrun are just as annoying as people who post without contributing a single fucking thing.

You got me there.

Uh, how about this.

I don't personally care about what happens to the Shadowrun IP, but I can certainly sympathize with people who do, and I won't patronize people who feel strongly about it.

That better?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    That's better. Fortunately though, there's not an extreme amount of fanboyism or anti-fanboyism going on in this current thread.

That said, I just realized something that might be pretty fun: a Shadowrun tactics game like the D&D Tactics thing coming out for PSP. I don't know anything about the D&D one, but Shadowrun might lend itself similarly with an infinitely more interesting and compelling setting.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I used to play Shadowrun, GM'd a few games for my group, and as someone who had to deal with magic using smartasses foiling my awesome cyberpunky traps all the time, I have to say, teleportation wasn't there because it makes the GM life too damn hard.
    Can you imagine setting up all these awesome encounters in some high tech building only to have the smartass say "I teleport in and grab the stuff, and teleport out".
    And they you have to roll to see if he does?
    Or hey, theres this door, security turrets (for the hacker to deal with), some trolls with wired flexes (for the brawlers to have fun) and the smartass goes "I teleport us all past it".
    That's why its not there, the justifications in the lore are just that, justifications. Attempting to say teleportation is some kind of impossible ability when people can move objects with their mind is stretching immersion to breaking point. Cos you know, isn't teleportation just moving yourself? Hey look I levitate John and throw him over there really really fast. I teleported you.
    Let it go fellas. It's a bit silly.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    That's better. Fortunately though, there's not an extreme amount of fanboyism or anti-fanboyism going on in this current thread.

Sadly, there was some condescension. Hence my post.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I used to play Shadowrun, GM'd a few games for my group, and as someone who had to deal with magic using smartasses foiling my awesome cyberpunky traps all the time, I have to say, teleportation wasn't there because it makes the GM life too damn hard.
    Can you imagine setting up all these awesome encounters in some high tech building only to have the smartass say "I teleport in and grab the stuff, and teleport out".
    And they you have to roll to see if he does?
    Or hey, theres this door, security turrets (for the hacker to deal with), some trolls with wired flexes (for the brawlers to have fun) and the smartass goes "I teleport us all past it".

Yeah, pretty much. The archetypical SR adventure, at least for newbie players, involves infiltrating a corporate lab/military base/network/etc., finding some MacGuffin, and returning it to your boss. That's how most SR players cut their teeth. Teleportation breaks that.
    That's why its not there, the justifications in the lore are just that, justifications. Attempting to say teleportation is some kind of impossible ability when people can move objects with their mind is stretching immersion to breaking point. Cos you know, isn't teleportation just moving yourself? Hey look I levitate John and throw him over there really really fast. I teleported you.
    Let it go fellas. It's a bit silly.

No offense, but I'm guessing you didn't read the rulebook chapter on magic. It's pretty fundamental to the magic system that matter cannot traverse the astral plane, only energy and consciousness can. It's not just a "justification," it's the principle behind a lot of the basic mechanics.

I'm pretty sure the fundamental trait of Star Wars is "contains lightsabers... maybe even space monks," just like the fundamental trait of Shadowrun is "cyberpunk/urban fantasy," not "does not contain teleportation."

So Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is fundamentally a Star Wars movie.

Man, don't even try that particular form of nonsense.

Why not? It's a valid point. Each franchise has certain central themes and if you break from those themes it becomes a waste of the IP.

I'd say that VC's example of a Batman who uses guns and kills people is a better illustration of my point. It taking everything that's unique about a character and rubbing it out and turning him into something that we've seen a million times before.
    mrflippy wrote:

One of the recurring themes in Star Wars is that power corrupts. You have the good guys who refrain from using their full power against their enemies against the bad guys who have no such compunction. The particular way that plays out is different between different movies and books, but it's still pretty fundamental, and a creative work that flaunts that is going to come across looking like a cheap exploitation of the franchise.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No offense, but I'm guessing you didn't read the rulebook chapter on magic. It's pretty fundamental to the magic system that matter cannot traverse the astral plane, only energy and consciousness can. It's not just a "justification," it's the principle behind a lot of the basic mechanics.

Unless there's an Immortal Elf involved. Then anything goes. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'd say that VC's example of a Batman who uses guns and kills people is a better illustration of my point. It taking everything that's unique about a character and rubbing it out and turning him into something that we've seen a million times before.
    So The Dark Knight Returns betrayed the franchise?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    And look, Feral, I get that nerds get in a tizzy when their beloved franchises are at all deviated from, and characteristically insist on definitions and redefinitions of "canon". And I get that Shadowrun fans really wanted some sort of RPG and instead got an online competitive online FPS.

But I don't see an eight-meter combat teleport in an FPS adaptation really fundamentally destroying the conception of the franchise.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

I haven't read DKR. It's my understanding that Batman uses rubber bullets and agonizes over whether or not he should kill the Joker - grappling over whether its moral to kill his enemy is pretty true to form. If he actually does run around like the Punisher and pump baddies full of lead, without the plot somehow addressing the change in behavior in a believable way, then yeah I would say it betrayed the franchise.
    And look, Feral, I get that nerds get in a tizzy when their beloved franchises are at all deviated from, and characteristically insist on definitions and redefinitions of "canon". And I get that Shadowrun fans really wanted some sort of RPG and instead got an online competitive online FPS.

But I don't see an eight-meter combat teleport in an FPS adaptation really fundamentally destroying the conception of the franchise.

You're right. By itself it doesn't fundamentally destroy the franchise. But it's an example of how the 360 game, from everything I've read and seen (I'll admit to not playing it, because I don't own a 360) doesn't appear to be based on Shadowrun at all. It appears to be a completely different game with some Shadowrun-like elements shoehorned in. They could have just as easily taken the same game, released it without the Shadowrun name, changed the orc/troll/elf/dwarf character class models and names, and nobody would have been the wiser.

This isn't changing one or two things about a franchise in order to make it fit a new medium; this is taking a completely different game and slapping a label and some window dressing on it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I haven't read DKR. It's my understanding that Batman uses rubber bullets and agonizes over whether or not he should kill the Joker - grappling over whether its moral to kill his enemy is pretty true to form. If he actually does run around like the Punisher and pump baddies full of lead, without the plot somehow addressing the change in behavior in a believable way, then yeah I would say it betrayed the franchise.

You're right. By itself it doesn't fundamentally destroy the franchise. But it's an example of how the 360 game, from everything I've read and seen (I'll admit to not playing it, because I don't own a 360) doesn't appear to be based on Shadowrun at all. It appears to be a completely different game with some Shadowrun-like elements shoehorned in. They could have just as easily taken the same game, released it without the Shadowrun name, changed the orc/troll/elf/dwarf character class models and names, and nobody would have been the wiser.

This isn't changing one or two things about a franchise in order to make it fit a new medium; this is taking a completely different game and slapping a label and some window dressing on it.
    Or to put it another way - we were hoping for something along the lines of Deus Ex or System Shock...and we got Counterstrike with elves.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    So you guys would rather not support Shadowrun because it is not loyal to the franchise, even though disloyalty to the franchise has no effect whatsoever on the rest of the franchise beyond the videogame world?

The game that I am not supporting has nothing to do is not Shadowrun. It just has the same name as the cyberpunk RPG FASA made back when they existed.
    Or to put it another way - we were hoping for something along the lines of Deus Ex or System Shock...and we got Counterstrike with elves.

Honestly I would have even been satisfied with something like Half-Life.

ViolentChemistry on