As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Putin -- Start your office betting pools now!

sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, I was wondering what the forum thinks -- will he step down in '08, or will he perhaps enact "emergency" measures (Chechnya and all that, I would assume) to sit in office.

Frankly, I'm not terribly educated on the issue, although given his propensity for killing dissidents, legislating media content, his ex-KGB history, and his efforts against the Chechens (not to mention attempt to control political affairs of most of Eastern Europe), my gut says "not likely."

But that's my gut, so I'd like to know what some people's heads think. My gut is hungry and easily influenced by Taco Bell.

sdrawkcaB emaN on

• Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My uneducated guess is that even if he does step down, he won't be out of power. Whoever takes his place will be a figurehead with Putin actually guiding the country/controlling politics.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My uneducated guess is that even if he does step down, he won't be out of power. Whoever takes his place will be a figurehead with Putin actually guiding the country/controlling politics.

Just like Yeltsin did, right?

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can't remember any names off hand, but I'm pretty sure Putin has been grooming successors.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    He doesn't need to remain publically in power to still excercise influence from behind the scenes.

So I predict he will step down.

Shinto on