As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Myspace Art help

Roland of GileadRoland of Gilead Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so I know how tragically unhip it is to have a myspace page around here, but I DJ in a club so it's almost a neccessity. It's just easier to get the word out to my friends, when I'm spinning and where. That said, I'm in the middle of a redesign and I'm having some troubles. I wanted to do a bear themed layout but there don't seem to be any good ones out there. I made this background but when I plug it into the generators it seems to squish it. I want it to run from edge to edge of the window. So stretch to fit not tiled center. Sadly I know less about HTML than I do about photoshop and I'm having some troubles. Can anyone help me with this?

Here's the image. I don't know if I just need better code or a better photo edit. I Like the black in the center as it doesn't mess with the profile text as bad. I'd just like the bears as far to the sides as they can be so you can still see 'em well.

I tried a half dozen "code generators" and couldn't get one to work.

Here's my current page for reference. I like the way it's set up now just want the bears instead.

Barneysig.jpg
Roland of Gilead on

• Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Myspace is an absolute bastard to style. Fact.

however there are things that can be done

in your "about me" box

body {
    background-color:whatever color you want here;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: top left;
    background-image: url(http://www.yoururl/yourimage.jpg);
    }

the images will overlay the backgound color, which will continue under the image.

thats the basic for adding a background to your page, however this could easily be broken by some of the other styling in your page.

Are you using a generated layout from one of those sites that blats out a load of stuff for you ?

Afty on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I want it to run from edge to edge of the window. So stretch to fit not tiled center.

Unfortunately, current CSS does not allow for "stretched" backgrounds - they are always displayed in their original size, and you can choose whether or not to tile and where to position them.

As a starter, you can chop up your image and take just the right half (with the bear on the right and your fade from black), and use Afty's CSS but change background-position to "top right" instead of "top left" (background-color is black, of course). That will put that bear always on the right side of the page.

For the other bear, I'm not sure. Your best bet is to use the other half of your image as the background-image for some enclosing div, but I wouldn't know which one.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I did originally. but I've modified the poo out of it. All of the code linking back to them is gone. only the good stuff is left.

I've basically done what you've described but it's not working right. If you get to my page right now the bears are under the text. My old background at the same size was pushed out to the edges of the window and didn't effect get under the text as much.

Roland of Gilead on
    Barneysig.jpg
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    {
         display:none;
    }

Caswynben on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    K so you saw it too. I'll switch it to the other one in a minute and you'll see what I mean. both images are the same size. 1280x1024

Roland of Gilead on
    Barneysig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Alright Vrtra it's back to the original. See what I mean?

Roland of Gilead on
    Barneysig.jpg
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »
    {
         display:none;
    }

while unhelpful, it did make me chuckle

Afty on