As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Love Stories/Movies

RhinoRhino TheRhinLOLRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
If you had to pick only one or two movies/books about the "Greatest" love story ever told... what would they be and why?

Also I prefer books with movie adaptations (that way I can watch the movie "quickly" in one or two hours as a 'preview' and then read the entire book if I like it a lot).

93mb4.jpg
Rhino on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, "Romeo & Juliet" is a staple (though if you're going to watch a movie, watch Shakespeare in Love).

There are other better ones I'm sure, but I can't think of anything right now.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    PhilthePillPhilthePill Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm gonna be cliche and say The Princess Bride. Sure, if you particularly want a GRAND ROMANTIC LOVE STORY, it's not really the finest pick, but come on - Andre the Giant, Pirates, death, revenge, adventure, princesses, and most of all, TRUE LOVE. How can you got past it?

Though the book is wierd. I don't particularly recommend it. Movie is great though.

PhilthePill on
    I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Romeo and Juliet subverts the love story - the characters cause misery and death for everyone around them and ultimately themselves by holding onto the true love myth.

I wouldn't necessarily call it the "greatest," but Pride and Prejudice is the origin of the modern romance story.

I dunno, when I think of "great" love stories, I think of the Greek myths. Pygmalion and Galatea; Orpheus and Eurydice, that sort of thing.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RokateRokate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    10 Things I Hate About You is one of my favorite love movies. And I generally dislike mushy, sappy movies, but this one is really good.
    I am also a big fan of Princess Bride.
    Drew Barrymore is really good in Ever After - that's in my top five for sure.
    AND OMG OMG Sense and Sensibility - this movie effing rocks my socks.

Rokate on
    Tomorrow's forecast: a few sprinkles of genius with a chance of DOOM!
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rokate wrote: »
    10 Things I Hate About You is one of my favorite love movies. And I generally dislike mushy, sappy movies, but this one is really good.

I surprised myself by actually enjoying this one. In case the OP is unaware, this movie is based on Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew".

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm gonna be cliche and say The Princess Bride. Sure, if you particularly want a GRAND WOMANTIC WOVE STOWY, it's not really the finest pick, but come on - Andre the Giant, Pirates, death, revenge, adventure, princesses, and most of all, TRUE WOVE. How can you got past it?

Though the book is wierd. I don't particularly recommend it. Movie is great though.

Edited for accuracy.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Say Anything. I don't know why but that movie just tears me up when I watch it.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For two decent movies (adaptations of books) I'd pick Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee version) and Rebecca (Alfred Hitchcock version). Although the latter is less romantic love and more obsession.

Janson on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like Cyrano De Bergerac gerard depardieu version. And for my no one but me seems to like this movie Story of Us.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    I like Cyrano De Bergerac gerard depardieu version.

Oh! Yes! This had completely slipped my mind. It's excellent.

Janson on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Err...

Titanic. I guess.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rokate wrote: »
    I am also a big fan of Princess Bride.
    Drew Barrymore is really good in Ever After - that's in my top five for sure.
    AND OMG OMG Sense and Sensibility - this movie effing rocks my socks.

I third the Princess Bride and Ever After is great though.

I'm surprised that Noone brought up Pride and Prejudice or Tristan and Isolde.
    Both are pretty decent, I liked the movie renditions, but be prepared for a tough read.

Some other movies with a written base are: [some of these are on loose footing/open to interpretation on "romance" status

-Original Sin [Waltz into Darkness]
    -Cruel Intentions [Les Liasons Dangereuses]
    -The Illusionist [Eisenheim the Illusionist, short story]
    -Brokeback Mountain [hahaha, Brokeback Mountain, short story]
    -Memoirs of a Geisha
    -Breakfast at Tiffanys

There's also numerous Musical possibilities...like..South Pacific...Singin' in the Rain, etc. Most of which have film adaptations.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Yer all calling out kids movies!

Cinema Paradiso

Because:

It's fucking superb.
    It's proper bitter-tragic romantic, none of this wet Titanic stuff.
    It's fucking superb.
    Gorgeous, heart-wrenching soundtrack from Ennio Morricone
    Italy
    It's fucking superb.
    Wimminz will love you for it.
    Best kissing scene in the history of film
    It's etc.

[PS See the original 1989 version, not the new Director's Cut, which ruins it a bit]

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Last of the Mohicans is my favorite love story of all time. Book or movie. It has indian fights, hot mouth on mouth action, indians, big huge fights with indians and people throw axes and stuff.

seriously folks.

incidentially a Marvel graphic novel was recently done on it.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I run the risk of sounding like a 14-year-old girl when I say this, but....The Notebook.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Truth about Cats and Dogs and Emma.

onceling on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    k, thanks guys. This is what I'm going to go with at first:

The Princess Bride - almost everyone has suggested this.. going with that.

Pride and Prejudice - because it's a modern classic.

10 Things I Hate About You - since it's based of Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew", so many points for that! I <3 anything vaguely attached to Shakespeare

Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee version)
    Rebecca (Alfred Hitchcock version) - since they where suggested by a girl, plus the creepy obsessive theme might be nice change.

Breakfast at Tiffanys
    Ever After - since it's girl suggested and have heard them talked about a lot.

The Notebook - ... what? nothing wrong with this suggestion... nothing at all.

On a side note, I'm going to look Sooo gay at the movie rental store.... I should probably get "Blood and Death Fists part 8; Killing time" or something. That way I can be all like "sick girlfreind at home... yep"

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, I guess if you're worried about looking gay it's a good thing you didn't get Brokeback Mountain, although at its heart that is an amazing love story as well.

I also second Last of the Mohicans... for all the above reasons as well as the fact that the final scene on top of the mountain could be one of the best scenes in film making.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Well, I guess if you're worried about looking gay it's a good thing you didn't get Brokeback Mountain, although at its heart that is an amazing love story as well.

in for a penny, in for a pound.

I also second Last of the Mohicans... for all the above reasons as well as the fact that the final scene on top of the mountain could be one of the best scenes in film making.

Added... you have a way with words.

but no more! This already is like... a lot of hours worth of girlie love stuff.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Princess Bride is one of the best movies ever. And the book is also excellent, although it's less about the actual story and more about how the author is the best liar ever.

also: The Fountain.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Intolerable Cruelty

Because that's how it is these days it seems.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Because I think we can all sympathize with the wanting to forget you business.

Virum on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Last Kiss.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anyone here seen a movie called As Good as it Gets?

Sliver on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Virum wrote: »

Wow... I don't know how I could forget such an amazingly awesome movie. Very good call!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In The Mood For Love.

coldbird. on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

Wow... I don't know how I could forget such an amazingly awesome movie. Very good call!

I saw this movie for the first time last week. It was amazing.

Also, I will put one in for Moulin Rouge. It is a fun musical romance movie, the soundtrack is awesome. My girlfriend loves it to death.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sliver wrote: »
    Anyone here seen a movie called As Good as it Gets?

Several times. It's really good.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh yeah, Moulin Rouge is great. I second this.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, Moulin Rouge is great... Nicole has never looked better.

I'm also going to toss Garden State into the mix. I loved it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited June 2007

There's not enough limes in the world to express how much this needs to be limed.

PhilthePill on
    I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    There are some decent movies in this thread, but by god it's not hard to see why romance is dying a death in modern society. The Romantic is Dead! Long Live the Emo! (and the neatly sanitised comedy love story)

Last of The Mohicans and Cyrano - and Cinema Paradiso of course - are the only genuine romantic love stories mentioned here (Titanic has the framework but is just too bloody...Titanic), and they are very good. Princess Bride also great but it's a fairytale, and Eternal Sunshine...it's not exactly the same thing.

If you like Last of The Mohicans, come back and get some proper big fucking Russian epic romances or the French death blood honour and revenge love stories like what they used to make in the old days guv.
    Romeo and Juliet subverts the love story - the characters cause misery and death for everyone around them and ultimately themselves by holding onto the true love myth.

No mate, that is the 'love story'. Has been for centuries. Not studied Chaucer and Arthurian myth yet?

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sarastro wrote: »
    ..... Eternal Sunshine...it's not exactly the same thing.

No mate, that is the 'love story'. Has been for centuries. Not studied Chaucer and Arthurian myth yet?

Query, and I promise I'm not trying to be an ass here, I'm just asking because you sound like you've studied this stuff along the way:

Isn't what you quoted there, what you claim as what has been the 'love story' for centuries, exactly describe Eternal Sunshine?

PhilthePill on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I should point out that there is no love story in the book. Movie only.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

movie was better than the book. Cooper can make a man go sleepytime if you arent prepared. I like him though he portrays a good picture of early america.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

There's not enough limes in the world to express how much this needs to be limed.

Yeah I was honestly surprised it took as long as it did to get mentioned. My favorite love story of all times, and one of my favorite movies as well. Definitely not sappy, and almost frighteningly realistic.

Everyone who has ever lived (and loved) at some point wishes they could simply erase feelings. This puts into light what might actually happen if we could, and raises points of why inherently we aren't and shouldn't be able to play god.

Also I didn't like Garden State at all for some reason, which is odd because I like Braff as an actor, I guess just not a writer.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's a lot in here I'd agree, but since I haven't seen it mentioned, I'll throw in Love Actually. I loved the cast, and the myriad of stories happening manages to cover enough situations that there's something for everyone.

I'm also partial to Tristan & Isolde.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »

movie was better than the book. Cooper can make a man go sleepytime if you arent prepared. I like him though he portrays a good picture of early america.

I disagree, though I read the book first. All the changes they made for the movie drove me nuts.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sarastro wrote: »
    If you like Last of The Mohicans, come back and get some proper big fucking Russian epic romances or the French death blood honour and revenge love stories like what they used to make in the old days guv.

i honestly tried my best to like Doctor Zhivago (sic?) but I couldnt force it. The music, all that damned snow. Didn't happen for me and it was way too many hours upon hours of snow.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I disagree, though I read the book first. All the changes they made for the movie drove me nuts.

To be fair Last Mohican has be redone many many times being the first successful american novel. The book is great but I don't see how anyone could be disappointed in how Michael Mann treated the work. With the 2.5 hours he had to tell the story I think he did an excellent job (actually it's my favorite movie ever made so...).

the greatness of his choice of the location, the casting and the battle scenes are really hard to argue in my opinion. did he take some artistic license? they all do. but come on man...you liked it.

Cyberjackal: Sir what are you looking at?
    Sonos stares long at Cyberjackal
    Sonos: Why I'm looking at you Cyberjackal.
    Stare. Slow turn walk away

~fin~

let's kiss faces

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No, no, I liked the movie. Just a little confused about some of the choices made, but I imagine that's always the case with fans of a book watching a movie adaptation. I agree that the chase up the mountain at the end was a spectacular scene.

I wasn't trying to decry the movie, I was just pointing out to the OP that the book had no love story.

CyberJackal on