As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Love Stories/Movies

2»

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cold Mountain, if you're looking for a screen adaptation of a really decent book.

Another hat in the ring for Cyrano de Bergerac, Gerard version.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No, no, I liked the movie. Just a little confused about some of the choices made, but I imagine that's always the case with fans of a book watching a movie adaptation. I agree that the chase up the mountain at the end was a spectacular scene.

I wasn't trying to decry the movie, I was just pointing out to the OP that the book had no love story.

word.
    all of the scenes where the 3 were leading the two pretty ladies to the fort were all fairly spectacular to me as well. Mann was successful in creating these 3 completely bad ass frontiersmen but also making them believeable.

And Mogwa is easily my favorite antagonist in all of moviedom. You knew why he did what he did and couldnt dislike him for it. The scene where he reaches his hand out to the white hair daughter before she leaps still gives my eyes a bad case of Niagra Falls.

dammit I'm watching this bastard for the 30th time tonight. Thanks for making my friday night a loser fellas.

:v:

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Virum wrote: »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Because I think we can all sympathize with the wanting to forget you business.

There's not enough limes in the world to express how much this needs to be limed.

Yeah I was honestly surprised it took as long as it did to get mentioned. My favorite love story of all times, and one of my favorite movies as well. Definitely not sappy, and almost frighteningly realistic.

Everyone who has ever lived (and loved) at some point wishes they could simply erase feelings. This puts into light what might actually happen if we could, and raises points of why inherently we aren't and shouldn't be able to play god.

Also I didn't like Garden State at all for some reason, which is odd because I like Braff as an actor, I guess just not a writer.

Yes. This movie is awesome. Jim Carey should have stopped working after this one. Really.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TheLong wrote: »
    Cold Mountain, if you're looking for a screen adaptation of a really decent book.

Another hat in the ring for Cyrano de Bergerac, Gerard version.

Glad that there are other fans of Cyrano and Mr. Depardieu's version. I was very pleased to find a good dvd of this.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The English subtitling is also ace; they really thought about how it would read for English-speaking people rather than just directly translating it.

Janson on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah that's what I love about the version, the subs are also in yellow if I recall correctly, which helps them to stand out against any background without being too obtusive. The acting is also top notch, I haven't always been a fan of Depardieus other works but his portrayal of Cyrano is just amazing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Sarastro wrote: »
    ..... Eternal Sunshine...it's not exactly the same thing.
    Romeo and Juliet subverts the love story - the characters cause misery and death for everyone around them and ultimately themselves by holding onto the true love myth.

No mate, that is the 'love story'. Has been for centuries. Not studied Chaucer and Arthurian myth yet?

Query, and I promise I'm not trying to be an ass here, I'm just asking because you sound like you've studied this stuff along the way:

Isn't what you quoted there, what you claim as what has been the 'love story' for centuries, exactly describe Eternal Sunshine?

Well, not really. Nobody dies. Not really set against an epic backdrop of right'n'wrong, unsolveable conflict or huge political / social upheaval which the protagonists try to hide from. It even has a happy ending, I mean the main two do essentially end up together. It's quite small, not very tragic at all, and the characters are more wont to pine over each other in a quiet and unassuming way rather than grab love by the throat and shake it until everyone dies.

Also, I know this isn't technical, and I do like the film, but it's just too weird & original to really class it a romance.

The above things are what have characterised romance stories for a very long time. The 'love story' is a slightly wider definition but is a very recent invention (mid 20th century, largely emerged from fairytales, or more specifically Disneyfied versions of Anderson and such), and pretty much only there to provide a sanitised or morally correct version of love for the kiddies, Good Christian Ethics, or sensible, practical types who feel discriminated against by all this raging obsession. Personally I think it's quite sad they've been so successful. See also: Valentines Day, & how buying a flower and dinner in step with all the other good little peons = romantic.

Seriously, if you want to see how real romantics behave, watch Cinema Paradiso.
    Love Actually

Don't fucking make me come in there...
    Dr. Zhigavo

Yes, I wasn't actually thinking of Zhigavo. It's a bit worthy, and to be honest could have done with a lot of trimming on the edit room floor. Also, the original book not that great. Though if you do sit through the whole thing, the payoff is superb, but I think most people know the ending by now. Ironically, if you want a vast romantic epic, Lawrence of Arabia is a hundred times better from Lean, even though it isn't technically a love story. I was also refering to the big French stuff - Hugo does a good line in it and everyone likes him.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yes, I wasn't actually thinking of Zhigavo. It's a bit worthy, and to be honest could have done with a lot of trimming on the edit room floor. Also, the original book not that great. Though if you do sit through the whole thing, the payoff is superb, but I think most people know the ending by now. Ironically, if you want a vast romantic epic, Lawrence of Arabia is a hundred times better from Lean, even though it isn't technically a love story. I was also refering to the big French stuff - Hugo does a good line in it and everyone likes him.

so if you weren't thinking of Zhigavo what were you thinking of? When I think of romantic Russian epic this is the first story that pops into mind.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Call me a dork but here are my 2 picks that i think of:

1. Lost in Translation. - I don't know why. I felt utterly entranced by this movie. It grabbed me and i sat there for like 30 minutes after it ended just wishing I had ever experienced something like that. It's about love, but also life. It's not for everyone.

2. Meet Joe Black. - Also not anther straight love story, but I really liked the connection between the 2 characters and the feeling of "new love" and life.

Of course, princess bride is a staple, but it's been mentioned already so i thought i'd mention some new ones.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »

so if you weren't thinking of Zhigavo what were you thinking of? When I think of romantic Russian epic this is the first story that pops into mind.

Books. Pushkin, Tolstoy, I suppose Chekhov but he's a grumpy cunt even for a Russian.

War and Peace, Anna Karenina, Eugene Onegin and so on.

Actually you can tell I wasn't thinking about Zhivago because I couldn't spell it, or even get the phonetics right. Oops.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Books. Pushkin, Tolstoy, I suppose Chekhov but he's a grumpy cunt even for a Russian.

War and Peace, Anna Karenina, Eugene Onegin and so on.

Actually you can tell I wasn't thinking about Zhivago because I couldn't spell it, or even get the phonetics right. Oops.

heh, me neither I quoted your mispelling. I'm no good with the classic Russian novel personally. The aforementioned and toss in the likes The Rainbow or Dickens and I can hardly make it through a chapter without falling asleep. 19th/early 20th century writing in general really gets me with the endless room descirptions and the lengthy trapping of this or that sect of dead society. Not my bag and I've never found them timeless in the Shakespearean sense.

did I put in too many 'e's? This topic needs easier spelling.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Amelie. The movie's resolution is one of the most heart warming things ever. I love that movie.

And on some mainstreamity, Save The Last Dance and Love & Basketball always struck a chord with me.

For comedy, Down With Love is priceless. Probably the funniest romantic comedy ever.
    Also, part musical.

On a similar note... you could count Moulin Rouge, but
    that's more depressing than not

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    coldbird. wrote: »
    In The Mood For Love
    <3<3<3<3<3

It has:

Absolutely fucking gorgeous cinematography
    par excellence use of sound and motion
    a fantastic musical score
    Maggie Cheung (the second most gorgeous woman in the world)
    Tony Leung (Chiu Wai, not the other, less-badass Tony Leung)
    Chinese (which is always entertaining to listen to)
    heartache

The problem will be finding it at your local Blockbuster, since Criterion holds the US DVD rights (and Blockbuster's Criteron discs are usually limited to staples like Seven Samurai, and Disney-induced releases like Chasing Amy). But if you can, get it.

Virum wrote: »
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Fourth'd or fifth'd or whatever it's at now.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Libraries have awesome stocks of Criterion DVDs, if you're near a good regional one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Garden State, after the movie is over I just sit there because of the ending. I sit there and just think.

Also, A Lot Like Love is one I personally like.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ah, has anyone seen True Romance?

I'm not kidding. The movie is a chick flick made for men.

One of the best parts:
    Christian Slater meets Patricia Arquette and he takes her to some Kung Fu flicks and stuff before he finds out she was a hooker that his boss "bought" for him so he could have a good time for once. Slater falls in love with Arquette overnight and vows to free her from the life she is living.

Long story short, Slater kills her pimp and his bodyguard and returns home pissed off and drinking a soda. Arquette seems a little disturbed when she finds out he killed the pimp...she stammers a bit... "That's...that's.." Slater seems a little pissed and yells out how he was human garbage and such and is then interrupted by Arquette - "That's so...romantic." and they make-out.

Great movie.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    browneyedsquirrelbrowneyedsquirrel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pride and Prejudice is an excellent choice.

But for heaven's sake if you're going to watch the movie watch this one:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112130/

with Colin Firth

and NOT this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414387/

The newer one just doesn't capture the story the way the A&E/BBC production did. And nobody makes a better brooding Mr. Darcy than Colin Firth. Sure it's 5 hours long, but worth every second and is a much better adaptation of the book.

Am I a little biased, oh sure, but just trust me on this one. ;-)

browneyedsquirrel on
  • Options
    TedFFZTedFFZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is an unconvetional choice, but Barry Lyndon is amazing. It's my vote for Best MOVIE Ever, not just best Romance.

Amazing cinematography, incredibly realistic and clever . . . hard to beat.

The Cook the Thief His Wife Her Lover has some very impressive and romantic (and sexy) scenes, but it's more brutal and nasty than any other flick on this list.

TedFFZ on
    "Had I not had my family, I probably would have turned into something psychopathic and asocial." - Johnny Rotten
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the Rainmaker.

In my opinion the best John Grisham adaptation... and Claire Danes is stunning in it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Barry Lyndon isn't much of a love story at all. It's a period piece.

Still a damn fine movie.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ok for all who said princess bride ( well done!) it grest good for blokes or the ladies...

moulin rouge is good but i'm baised cos said scots bloke is in my family....

i would also suggest the last kiss...its a little more "real" but its romantic in the "this is how a releationship works"..

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Most girls I know love The Notebook though I have yet to see it.

LondonBridge on