Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Starter Firearms

CycophantCycophant Registered User
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Big initial heads up: I'm in Canada, and would prefer relevant advice. Keep in mind that a lot of firearms are restricted or prohibited here that aren't in the US or elsewhere, and the licensing is a fair bit different too.

So, I'm going to be moving out to the middle of nowhere in a few weeks (yay Yellowknife!), and this coupled with a well-paying job means I want to start taking up target shooting. Ever since shooting in the military, I've always really enjoyed it. Now I finally have the means and place to do it.

For starters, I'm going to take all the appropriate firearms safety courses. I'm well-versed enough in them from my time in the military, but I could certainly use a refresher and besides, it's pretty much a requirement to get a license here in Canada anyway. Once I find the local range, and get my license sorted out, I'm looking to purchase my first rifle.

All the (basic) research I've done points me towards a .22 to start off with. They're cheap, good starters, and a decent rifle is accurate enough I hear. Can anyone confirm or refute this, or perhaps have better suggestions? The accuracy is my biggest concern; I know there's no way I'll enjoy it if there's no sense of skill or accuracy. If a 22 is the way to go, can anyone suggest some better makes of rifles or ammunition to begin with? Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of availability I'll have in Yellowknife, but if I have some ideas before I get up there, it'll help.

Cycophant on
sig.gif
«1

Posts

  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You'll be looking for a .22 Longrifle, for accuracy a bolt action single shot is tops, with the next best choice being a bolt action repeater.

    Wikipedia has a pretty good article about the .22 LR cartridge.

    Beyond that, I'd say that once you get your PAL you should swing by a hunting/outdoor sports store (I'm sure Yellowknife has a few) and talk to one of the guys there. Personally, I like SIR Mail Order, but that's because they actually have a retail location here in Winnipeg.

    [edit] Also I should note that in the military, I assume you used NATO standard 5.56mm rounds, the approximate civilian equivalent in canada is the .223 Remington cartridge.

    Raneados wrote: »
    so what SPECIFICALLY is the problem with my hole?
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I learned to shoot on a .22 Rutger which my father just passed on to me a few weeks ago. Love that gun even though it's nothing special in terms of make. Nostolgia factor is an 11 and I can shoot that gun like no one else.

    If you want a nice gun get a .22 Remmington or old established American manufacturer you can't go wrong. Don't get a Mag by accident. They are loud and have too much kick for such a small caliber. Way too loud.

    After you get comfy with the .22 get a 12 gauge shotgun. It's just as useful as a rifle and probably a lot more fun. i.e. bird hunting and skeet shooting

    edit: after you become a man go 30.06 (commonly called the 30 aught 6) or a .230 (if you don't want your shoulder knocked off with the 30.06). with those two ~ they go boom things fall down.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    meh messed up the edit

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a .22 repeater myself and think it's great. The best learning rifle, however, is the single shot. .22 is definitely the way to go for a first rifle.

    Some things to consider, though:

    If you ever shoot outside the range (Hunting small game or whatever), be very, very careful about the background. .22 rounds do not have penetrating power and so if they hit a rock or whatever, they ricochet more than any other rifle I've ever used. Thankfully, in 20 years of shooting I've never been involved in or witnessed an injury accident, so they're safe as long as you aren't stupid. I would guess that having been in the military, you have a good idea as to rifle safety anyway. :)

    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the advice so far guys. Looks like getting a 22 is certainly the way to go at first.

    As for the risk of ricochets, thanks for the heads up, it's not something I thought about. I'm not too worried, mind you - I imagine most of my shooting will be at a range. I'm not picking this up to hunt, I really don't have any desire to. But it doesn't mean I won't take the rifle outside the range at times for better practice, so it's something to be wary of.

    I've been looking at a few rifles, and they all seem pretty reasonably priced, which is nice. The single-action ones seem a bit cheaper yet rugged, which is fine by me, I think I'd prefer a bolt action to start off with anyway.

    I'll definitely remember the thirty-ought-six and the .223 Remington in the future, once I get a little more proficient. I'll admit, I'm not sure what to expect in terms of kick of the larger rounds. 5.56 rounds don't give much kick, especially when fired through a rifle with a honking spring in the butt, like I'm used to.

    sig.gif
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Another Canadian here and I just went through the process last year, though I grew up with firearms. There are good reasons everyone suggest starting off with a .22LR - cheap enough to get lots of practice and have virtually no recoil so you don't develop a flinch. They're generally pretty useless past 75 yards, but definitely the right way to get started. The Ruger 10/22 is a very popular model, but it's a semi-auto and a bolt action is probably the best place to start. Also, use iron sights for a while before you get a scope.

    For your first 'real' rifle, I'd suggest a .308 Win over the 30-06. I was going to pick up an ought-six myself, but a friend of mine talked me into the 308 for a number of reasons, but the main ones are:
    1) Less kick for something that will handle the same game.
    2) Cheap military surplus ammo (7.62x51 aka 7.62 NATO) which around here is about half price.
    3) The rifles tend to be a little bit cheaper.

    The main downside pretty much comes down to the fact that you can handload the 30-06 in ways that you can't do for the 308. Factory ammo choices are about the same.

    Some of the more popular hunting rifles are the Remington 700 line and the Winchester Model 70s. Used is probably a better choice and you'll pretty much have to go that way if you want a M70. For a few more dollars, the Tikka T3s are very accurate right out of the box.

    Also, if you can find a course that does the non-restricted and restricted at the same time, take that one instead. It only costs $20 more to have the option of buying handguns in case you decide that you want to do so at some point in the next 5 years.

    You might want to check out the biggest Canadian forum http://www.canadiangunnutz.com while you're at it and find some good advice and deals.

    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I changed my mind. Get a 30-30. Still a small cal rifle. Can bring down animals and humans. But must importantly: IT HAS A LEVER ACTION SO YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MOVIE HERO!

    Think Ash in S-Mart from Bruce Campbell vs. The Army of Darkness

    YES!!!!

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nothing against the 30-30 as it's a good, realistic hunting round (don't get me started on most magnum cartridges), but definitely check the price of ammo before you get one. I've only looked at one store while I was there with a friend, but the cheap 30-30 was a lot more expensive than I expected.

    Remember, if you're target shooting, the price of ammo will overtake the price of the rifle fairly quickly.

    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    I changed my mind. Get a 30-30. Still a small cal rifle. Can bring down animals and humans. But must importantly: IT HAS A LEVER ACTION SO YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MOVIE HERO!

    Think Ash in S-Mart from Bruce Campbell vs. The Army of Darkness

    YES!!!!

    If you want to shoot for accuracy, do not get a lever action rifle. Lever action or semi-auto rifles may look cool, but they can't hold a candle to the accuracy of a bolt-action gun. I've also found that the bolt action rifle is easier to take care of (but that's just me) .

    People have already mentioned the .30-06 (which is the calibre of my rifle) which is a great calibre for any kind of hunting or shooting you could do, but it kicks pretty hard, so you may want to go with something else to start with. For instance, my father's rifle is chambered as a 7mm Magnum (Remington) - he loves it. It kicks less than my .30-06, shoots faster with less grain (since he hand-loads all of his rounds) and get take down the biggest game on the continent (Moose, big-ass bears) no problem. So, what I'm saying is that you should consider the 7mm along with the .30-06 and .308 - although they are all good calibres.

    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    an_alt wrote: »
    Nothing against the 30-30 as it's a good, realistic hunting round (don't get me started on most magnum cartridges), but definitely check the price of ammo before you get one. I've only looked at one store while I was there with a friend, but the cheap 30-30 was a lot more expensive than I expected.

    Remember, if you're target shooting, the price of ammo will overtake the price of the rifle fairly quickly.

    True mainly because it's not a particularily popular gun. Actually ones I like I've only seen at gun shows (which should be illegal lol). Great gun though. To me it shoots as smooth as a .22 but if you are a good shot you can bring down the same beast as a 30.06.

    Range shooting .22 is best because the ammo is so cheap it might as well be free.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    saggio wrote: »
    Sonos wrote: »
    I changed my mind. Get a 30-30. Still a small cal rifle. Can bring down animals and humans. But must importantly: IT HAS A LEVER ACTION SO YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MOVIE HERO!

    Think Ash in S-Mart from Bruce Campbell vs. The Army of Darkness

    YES!!!!

    If you want to shoot for accuracy, do not get a lever action rifle. Lever action or semi-auto rifles may look cool, but they can't hold a candle to the accuracy of a bolt-action gun. I've also found that the bolt action rifle is easier to take care of (but that's just me) .

    People have already mentioned the .30-06 (which is the calibre of my rifle) which is a great calibre for any kind of hunting or shooting you could do, but it kicks pretty hard, so you may want to go with something else to start with. For instance, my father's rifle is chambered as a 7mm Magnum (Remington) - he loves it. It kicks less than my .30-06, shoots faster with less grain (since he hand-loads all of his rounds) and get take down the biggest game on the continent (Moose, big-ass bears) no problem. So, what I'm saying is that you should consider the 7mm along with the .30-06 and .308 - although they are all good calibres.

    7mm is a fairly uncommon round too. At least down here in Georgia it is. Sounds fun though I may have to find someone with one to give her a go.

    You can look at the huge round bullet of a 30-30 and see its not that accurate. But for some reason I've always shot well with them. Probably because I'm not factoring in the kick like I do with the bigger rounds.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you truely want an accurate target .22, buy an Anchutz (spelling might be off), they are competition grade rifles and what I normally used in competition, until we got our BSA that is.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Comahawk wrote: »
    If you truely want an accurate target .22, buy an Anchutz (spelling might be off), they are competition grade rifles and what I normally used in competition, until we got our BSA that is.


    yeh store it next to your stack of gold bars. :P

    his very first gun and you are suggesting a Anchutz? okay...

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Remington makes a .22 semi auto rifle.

    Dont get it

    Its only useful for making noise and shooting rats in your back yard. Nothing else. Its too innaccurate, and screws up too much for any fun target shooting.

    A bolt action .22 can be good fun at a range though.

    If you want a rifle designed to kill a man, you can get Mosin Nagant M-44's for about 100 bucks. They fire 7.62x54r a normal 308 wont work. However, a box of 50 of those babys runs about 10 bucks, assuming you can find them.

  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Remington makes a .22 semi auto rifle.

    Dont get it

    Its only useful for making noise and shooting rats in your back yard. Nothing else. Its too innaccurate, and screws up too much for any fun target shooting.

    A bolt action .22 can be good fun at a range though.

    If you want a rifle designed to kill a man, you can get Mosin Nagant M-44's for about 100 bucks. They fire 7.62x54r a normal 308 wont work. However, a box of 50 of those babys runs about 10 bucks, assuming you can find them.

    no offense but that gun is a piece of shit. There is a reason the Russians lost the cold war: their firearms.

    Shooting moving targets like rats or still targets...which is harder...hmmm.

    Buy an american .22 if you sight it in correctly it's always the best, most useful gun made.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I bought an M-44 as my first rifle - basically because it was either a $300 22LR or a big damn canon for $100. I took the cannon.

    It's actually not bad at 100 yards - most of the accuracy is my problem, from trying to hold the heavy rifle steady. But, when I keep the barrel clean, I can print a 4" group over iron sights. Not great for rodents, but it's nice and satisfying to shoot.

    I think my next will be a .22 Magnum - good long range performance.

  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've read several times the Reminton 597(?) which is a 22 SA after 20-30 minutes of pissing around with instructions you can find on the net will be more accurate than the beloved Ruger 10/22 until you've spent several hundred on the Ruger. My 22 is a Lakefield piece of crap that is worth what I paid for it (nothing), but when I shoot a friend's stock 10/22 most of the bullet holes touch (two shots per bullseye is my normal 22 procedure) at 25 yards. Take that as you will.

    Just a note on accuracy, I shot two groups with a friend's brand new Tikka T3 in .270 Win last night and my second group was right around 1" at 100 yards. I'm not sure where the first group was, but we were sighting it in.

    As far as which "something to shoot while the guns I like are cooling down" gun to get, I like the Norinco (Chinese) SKS. The accuracy is pretty bad, but it goes for around $150 and you can buy milsurp ammo for about $30/100 or around 22-25 cents a round if you get a case. I would never hunt with it, but it's fun and cheap to shoot.

    CangoFett, what model is your Remington?

    Cycophant, you'll get a lot of advice when it comes to firearms and gun guys do have a lot of 'interesting' opinions so take each, mine included, with a grain of salt. Also, any comments on price or availability by Americans is pretty much useless. They totally don't know how good they have it. Also, you'll have plenty of time to read every review ever written about any particular firearm between the time you pass your CFSC course and actually get your PAL.

    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »
    I bought an M-44 as my first rifle - basically because it was either a $300 22LR or a big damn canon for $100. I took the cannon.

    It's actually not bad at 100 yards - most of the accuracy is my problem, from trying to hold the heavy rifle steady. But, when I keep the barrel clean, I can print a 4" group over iron sights. Not great for rodents, but it's nice and satisfying to shoot.

    I think my next will be a .22 Magnum - good long range performance.

    like I said earlier the mag is loud. really loud for such a small gun. I bought one for an 20 acre area somewhat near other homes and a public road and it simply didn't work. a regular .22 I can shoot all day long without alarming anyone.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I actually have a 7mm Magnum rifle. Here it is in action if you're interested:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiS_bT6PE-E

    That's my friend's video, who is really into Battlefield 2, but I am the cameraman referred to in the video. Note that I was just given that rifle to me by my dad and I rarely used it while it was in his possession.

    My writing blog, By Way of the Aurora Borealis, is now live! -- D&D Diablo 3 clan: Cosa Nostra Pizza
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I actually have a 7mm Magnum rifle. Here it is in action if you're interested:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiS_bT6PE-E

    That's my friend's video, who is really into Battlefield 2, but I am the cameraman referred to in the video. Note that I was just given that rifle to me by my dad and I rarely used it while it was in his possession.


    heh i enjoyed that looked fun. you owned your pal hard good shot. I noticed he was only holding the gun with one hand on a few of those shots.

    and is really into B2 ;-)

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Comahawk wrote: »
    If you truely want an accurate target .22, buy an Anchutz (spelling might be off), they are competition grade rifles and what I normally used in competition, until we got our BSA that is.

    About the best advice I've seen so far in this thread. Especially if you are looking for an accurate, factory .22 without spending too much money. Quite a lot of the top benchrest shooters still use Anschutz actions on custom rifles for competition rimfire BR.

    All depends on what sort of target shooting you are interested in, and exectly whay you mean by accurate. I'll throw a barrel out or sell it to somebody for a hunting rifle if it isn't capable of shooting less than .100" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. You wont get that with a factory built rifle, but you can get something that you can have fun with. Also, if you are looking to shoot some longer ranges, a standard .22LR wont be much use, and you might want to look at something like the .223.

  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Since I recently did some shopping for a .22, I'll pass on some of the advice and research I got after a few months of asking around.

    Since you've stated your after accuracy, that rules out a few things. As others have said, an out of the box Ruger 10/22 isn't very accurate and requires significant cash to make it very accurate.

    Lever actions are not as accurate as bolt actions, but some can still be accurate. The Marlin 39 has a lot of fans, is a proven design, and was accurate enough for Annie Oakley so it would probably meet your needs.

    Bolt action wise, Savage .22s with Accu-triggers have gotten love and respect for being a great value. Ones without the Accu-trigger get complaints about the trigger.

    Moving up a little bit in price, the CZ-452 is very loved and usually gets a lot of recommendations when this question is asked. The trainer model uses less fancy wood than some of the other variations and can be had for a lower price than the other variations. The step beyond this for new firearms gets into much more expensive stuff like Anschutz (I can't spell it either), though some people are fans of Ruger's bolt action .22s (which are more expensive than the CZ stuff but I've never heard anyone say they were more accurate).

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Bah, didn't read that the OP had previous shooting experience. Still, I have to rep 10/22s, I love mine to death, and the best first gun ever.

    I'll just throw this out there, but have you considered an air rifle? Good ones like Feinwerkbaus go for like 3k or so, but they are fun to shoot and crazy accurate. And you don't even need ear protection.

  • BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I picked up an almost new Anschutz 64mpr for $200 about a year ago. Had 50 rounds through it. The idiot at the gun shop said he couldn't get rid of it because it was a single shot. hahah

    Oh, on that note, dont always assume the guy behind the counter at a gun shop has a clue what he is talking about. That rifle I got was worth almost $1000 brand new.

  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Go a .22

    Just make sure to check everything slides in an out well (bolt, magazine).

    And go low velocity bullets.

    Less bang but they are still perfectly lethal.

    For a specific gun i have to recomend a BRNO Mk.2

    Everything about it is smooth and polite.

    I shot a plastic thumbtack from 50 meters, and I am no legend.

    sig-1.jpg
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »
    If you truely want an accurate target .22, buy an Anchutz (spelling might be off), they are competition grade rifles and what I normally used in competition, until we got our BSA that is.


    yeh store it next to your stack of gold bars. :P

    his very first gun and you are suggesting a Anchutz? okay...

    If you have half a brain you can find an Anchutz .22 for about $300 used. You may even find one with sights for that much, and even if you don't, if you keep an eye on ebay and search around you can probably get a set of Anchutz target sights for around $100 used.

    So, $400 for a very accurate, reliable and proven target rifle.

    Meanwhile, you can get a new Ruger or Reminton .22 for probably $500 at least with no sights and it won't be nearly as accurate.

    Tough choice.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Remington makes a .22 semi auto rifle.

    Dont get it

    Its only useful for making noise and shooting rats in your back yard. Nothing else. Its too innaccurate, and screws up too much for any fun target shooting.

    A bolt action .22 can be good fun at a range though.

    If you want a rifle designed to kill a man, you can get Mosin Nagant M-44's for about 100 bucks. They fire 7.62x54r a normal 308 wont work. However, a box of 50 of those babys runs about 10 bucks, assuming you can find them.

    no offense but that gun is a piece of shit. There is a reason the Russians lost the cold war: their firearms.

    Shooting moving targets like rats or still targets...which is harder...hmmm.

    Buy an american .22 if you sight it in correctly it's always the best, most useful gun made.

    First off, its 100 bucks. Seriously man, 100. For a high power rifle.

    100.

    Also, you complain about the noise, that sounds like a personal issue. Me? Unless I'm hunting zombies, when I fire a weapon, I want 3 feet of flames to come out, and for the clouds to part at the sound of the shot.

  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Sonos wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »
    If you truely want an accurate target .22, buy an Anchutz (spelling might be off), they are competition grade rifles and what I normally used in competition, until we got our BSA that is.


    yeh store it next to your stack of gold bars. :P

    his very first gun and you are suggesting a Anchutz? okay...

    If you have half a brain you can find an Anchutz .22 for about $300 used. You may even find one with sights for that much, and even if you don't, if you keep an eye on ebay and search around you can probably get a set of Anchutz target sights for around $100 used.

    So, $400 for a very accurate, reliable and proven target rifle.

    Meanwhile, you can get a new Ruger or Reminton .22 for probably $500 at least with no sights and it won't be nearly as accurate.

    Tough choice.

    well whatever. a remmington looks cooler and will score chicks.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Remington makes a .22 semi auto rifle.

    Dont get it

    Its only useful for making noise and shooting rats in your back yard. Nothing else. Its too innaccurate, and screws up too much for any fun target shooting.

    A bolt action .22 can be good fun at a range though.

    If you want a rifle designed to kill a man, you can get Mosin Nagant M-44's for about 100 bucks. They fire 7.62x54r a normal 308 wont work. However, a box of 50 of those babys runs about 10 bucks, assuming you can find them.

    no offense but that gun is a piece of shit. There is a reason the Russians lost the cold war: their firearms.

    I only just noticed this post, and you almost made me spit coffee all over my monitor. You actually know what the cold war was by any chance?

    Anyway, just had a thought. Maybe try the .22 magnum or .22 hornet? A bit more range on them, and ammo is still cheap as hell.

    Also, TBH, a factory rifle is only going to be so accurate until you have the action trued and bedded properly. Doesn't really matter which brand. If you go for one of the well known brands (Remington, CZ, Ruger etc), they will all perform about the same until you have a gunsmith do some work to them. They are going to be accurate enough for most peoples use anyway. If you start shooting competition Benchrest or something, then start to concern yourself with the stuff I'm talking about (and get a 6ppc). Otherwise just go buy something and shoot it, because you'll have fun regardless.

  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Alright, I was going to hold out and watch ebay for an Anschutz, but my roomate needed some cash, and so I bought his impulse-bought Marlin 60SN off of him for less than sticker.

    What can I do to make this thing into a tack-driver? It has a factory-mounted scope that I'm going to sight in the next time I'm at the range - any after-market parts that make it more accurate, or should I just get a gunsmith to poke around with it? How do I find a competent gun-smith? What's a reasonable fee?

  • MildQuixoticMildQuixotic ClubPA
    edited June 2007
    I don't know what an anschutz is like, but if you slide the cocking piece and bolt out of the rifle, you can get a looksie down the bore and easily line it up like that out to about 50 yards, just gotta match the point of impact you see through the bore with the scope.

    Simple. Easy. Itll' get you on paper right away.

  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I know how to sight in a rifle - it's allegedly been bore-sighted already, so I'll just take a shot at the paper, clamp it down, move my crosshairs to where it hit and call it a day.

    And I didn't actually get an Anchutz (if I did, I'd hope it'd be accurate right away!) I got a Marlin 60 - with a synthetic body, and was basically asking about mods.

  • MildQuixoticMildQuixotic ClubPA
    edited June 2007
    I can't believe a firearms owner was saying something bad about the mosin nagant, shameful

  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Marlin 60 seems to have a pretty good reputation. As a general rule, bedding and trigger work are two of the first things generally done to improve the accuracy of a factory rifle.

    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
  • BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, definitely the first thing is to take it to a gunsmith and have the action bedded properly. As I said earlier, all factory 'bedding' is pretty damn horrible. Pretty much any gunsmith will be able to bed the action.

    Depending on how much you are looking to spend, you could also get the action trued, and have a gunsmith check the barrel crown. I've seen several brand new rifles with shitty crowning jobs.

    Finding a gunsmith shouldn't be too hard, but finding a really good one in your area might be. You could go and ask on somewhere like benchrest.com forums or on 6mmbr.com. The people on there are pretty helpful, and only use the best gunsmiths, so any reccomendation from them is a pretty safe bet.

  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I noticed how this thread seemed to bring Canadians out of the woodwork. Y'all all have guns too don't you?

    On topic: I am buying a gun (with the other wedding party members) for the fellow getting married. Whats a good gun $500-1000 for a guy who already has every hunting firearm well represented? He doesn't have a decent pistol. Whats a good pistol (brand not caliber) for critters but can also kill a 200lb boar if needs be? Taurus makes pretty good affordable guns but I've almost killed my dog once with their hair triggers. Too touchy for my tastes.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    I noticed how this thread seemed to bring Canadians out of the woodwork. Y'all all have guns too don't you?

    On topic: I am buying a gun (with the other wedding party members) for the fellow getting married. Whats a good gun $500-1000 for a guy who already has every hunting firearm well represented? He doesn't have a decent pistol. Whats a good pistol (brand not caliber) for critters but can also kill a 200lb boar if needs be? Taurus makes pretty good affordable guns but I've almost killed my dog once with their hair triggers. Too touchy for my tastes.

    We have lots of guns, an estimated 8 million or so firearms for our (approx) 32 million population, probably because we have a shit-ton of wildlands up here, and Canada was originally explored by hunter/trappers.

    We do have heavier restrictions on firearms though, to legally aquire a rifle or shotgun you are required to pass a government firearm safety course and aquire a license to possess and aquire, plus all firearms are supposed to be registered as well. To get a handgun you have to pass a different restricted weapon safety course and have a special license to possess restricted firearms. And pretty much the only people allowed to carry firearms in public (concealed or otherwise) are police.

    Also, I had to re-read your On Topic part three times before I could get all the Shotgun Wedding jokes to stop.

    Raneados wrote: »
    so what SPECIFICALLY is the problem with my hole?
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Belketre wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely the first thing is to take it to a gunsmith and have the action bedded properly. As I said earlier, all factory 'bedding' is pretty damn horrible. Pretty much any gunsmith will be able to bed the action.

    Depending on how much you are looking to spend, you could also get the action trued, and have a gunsmith check the barrel crown. I've seen several brand new rifles with shitty crowning jobs.

    Finding a gunsmith shouldn't be too hard, but finding a really good one in your area might be. You could go and ask on somewhere like benchrest.com forums or on 6mmbr.com. The people on there are pretty helpful, and only use the best gunsmiths, so any reccomendation from them is a pretty safe bet.

    How much should I be looking to spend for the gunsmith to bed my action?

    There's a 'that's what she said' joke in here somewhere.

  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Sonos wrote: »
    I noticed how this thread seemed to bring Canadians out of the woodwork. Y'all all have guns too don't you?

    On topic: I am buying a gun (with the other wedding party members) for the fellow getting married. Whats a good gun $500-1000 for a guy who already has every hunting firearm well represented? He doesn't have a decent pistol. Whats a good pistol (brand not caliber) for critters but can also kill a 200lb boar if needs be? Taurus makes pretty good affordable guns but I've almost killed my dog once with their hair triggers. Too touchy for my tastes.

    We have lots of guns, an estimated 8 million or so firearms for our (approx) 32 million population, probably because we have a shit-ton of wildlands up here, and Canada was originally explored by hunter/trappers.

    We do have heavier restrictions on firearms though, to legally aquire a rifle or shotgun you are required to pass a government firearm safety course and aquire a license to possess and aquire, plus all firearms are supposed to be registered as well. To get a handgun you have to pass a different restricted weapon safety course and have a special license to possess restricted firearms. And pretty much the only people allowed to carry firearms in public (concealed or otherwise) are police.

    Also, I had to re-read your On Topic part three times before I could get all the Shotgun Wedding jokes to stop.

    Lol. But I was being serious. It's a tradition in my group of friends to buy the groom a firearm as a present instead of stupid shit they dont want and their wife does like flatware. And generally speaking it has always been a shotgun. I am embarrassed now that we never used that as a public joke to humiliate said groom. Next time.

    In the states we having to take a hunter's safety course to get a hunting license. another more stringent license for a concealed weapon. to get a gun to shoot another human you need no license. just a background check. it is legal to carry a sidearm here but no one does it as it makes people very understandably nervous.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • SonosSonos Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Sonos wrote: »
    I noticed how this thread seemed to bring Canadians out of the woodwork. Y'all all have guns too don't you?

    On topic: I am buying a gun (with the other wedding party members) for the fellow getting married. Whats a good gun $500-1000 for a guy who already has every hunting firearm well represented? He doesn't have a decent pistol. Whats a good pistol (brand not caliber) for critters but can also kill a 200lb boar if needs be? Taurus makes pretty good affordable guns but I've almost killed my dog once with their hair triggers. Too touchy for my tastes.

    We have lots of guns, an estimated 8 million or so firearms for our (approx) 32 million population, probably because we have a shit-ton of wildlands up here, and Canada was originally explored by hunter/trappers.

    We do have heavier restrictions on firearms though, to legally aquire a rifle or shotgun you are required to pass a government firearm safety course and aquire a license to possess and aquire, plus all firearms are supposed to be registered as well. To get a handgun you have to pass a different restricted weapon safety course and have a special license to possess restricted firearms. And pretty much the only people allowed to carry firearms in public (concealed or otherwise) are police.

    Also, I had to re-read your On Topic part three times before I could get all the Shotgun Wedding jokes to stop.

    Lol. But I was being serious. It's a tradition in my group of friends to buy the groom a firearm as a present instead of stupid shit they dont want and their wife does like flatware. And generally speaking it has always been a shotgun. I am embarrassed now that we never used that as a public joke to humiliate said groom. Next time.

    In the states we have to take a hunter's safety course to get a hunting license. another more stringent license for a concealed weapon. to get a gun to shoot another human you need no license. just a background check. it is legal to carry a sidearm here but no one does it as it makes people very understandably nervous.

    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.