As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I undelete a file(s)?

xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I deleted an entire folder of stuff from My Documents in WinXP that I need. I thought the folder was empty so I sent it to the recycle bin and emptied the recycle bin. Anyway to get my folder and the files within it back?

xraydog on

• Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Edited, I suppose google-fu would have edumacated me. It appears I have been under the wrong impression for quite some time in regards to deleted schwag.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    X5 wrote: »
    If you deleted it, and emptied the recycle bin.

Or if you shift+deleted it. It is gone forever.

There are data recovery solutions. But they are mega expensive, and by mega i mean, a few thousand dollars, and are generally only feasible for corporate emergencies, or the unbelievably rich

That's just not true. It's trivial to recover deleted files if nothing has been written to the same partition in the meantime and you can do it for free, IIRC the only lost data is the first letter of the filename.

I think FreeUndelete was the thing I'm thinking of; you'll have to dig through other deleted files to find the ones you want.

The reason for this is that "deleting" a file just "marks" the space it uses as free to write to - it doesn't destroy the data right away (ie. write zeros in its place or something) but just overwrites it when writing something later.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I tried using the program above but all I'm getting is nonsense files with nonsense filenames. Lots of them too. Looks like its picking out deleted browsing history as well. How will I know which ones to recover?

xraydog on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I had to install it myself to see how to do it, as I used it, like, once.

Go into C:\Documents and settings\<your username>\My Documents (or <username's> documents) and sort by status - the recent deletions will be in the best condition

EDIT: BE SURE TO CHANGE THE SAVE PATH to another partition
    editedit: oh, hey, it looks like the app won't even let you save to the same partition; if you don't have one then I'm guessing a thumbdrive or an external hard drive would work too

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you've been using the same PC since you deleted the files, you're probably going to be unable to recover most of what you've lost.

devoir on